Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:28 am 

I am not a musician myself but I thought it would be interesting to know what other brothers-in-metal (or sisters-in-metal :wink: ) played and maybe even start a discussion on that topic... after all, that's the purpose of these threads right? :lol:

I imagine this thread will evolve kinda slowly but if enough interest is put into it it might actually become quite successful. Now, the rule are basically the same as the ones of the "Now Playing" thread; I know I should start the discussion by providing an example myself but since I can't play any instruments and I am not a good vocalist, either, I can't really do that. However, I wish I could play "Piranha" by Exodus on guitar... but an imaginary example doesn't actually count... :lol:

Yeah, so... what if we got this started already? Share, please, which playing/practicing experience you had last with our community. :wink:
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:21 am 

I wish I could progress fast enough to play a song like "Piranha"...

I've been practicing "Nutshell" by Alice In Chains and "Fell On Black Days" by Soundgarden recently, and they're not difficult really. They're very fun to play and I haven't had very much trouble learning them, except for the short licks in "Nutshell".

soverysorry
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:21 pm 

"Ozidanje", an old Jewish song from Russia, on the accordion. I listen to lots of metal but I never actually play it, I mainly play folk/traditional music. I'd love to learn metal guitar one day, I just have too much on my hands at the moment, musically speaking :( (as if that's a bad thing!) But yeah, as much as I love playing acoustic folk music, there are times when I really really just wanna plug in an electric guitar, crank up the amp and rock the fuck out.

Last edited by soverysorry on Sun May 01, 2016 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:22 pm 

I guess that would be Ego by Omnium Gatherum, although that was maybe two months ago. I very rarely practice anything other than my own stuff, but that song has a really cool riff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNZZDS9f38I

LadyNyx
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:43 pm 

Last song I learned was Stranded by Gojira.

I play bass and am absolutely in love with Jean-Michel Labadie's playing. Great tone, great energy. He brings so much to the band in terms of how heavy they are.

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:19 pm 

I've been trying to learn Dokken's Tooth and Nail. The solo is really a pain in the ass.

stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:11 am 

I've been playing Autopsy - Ridden With Disease a lot on guitar since I'm thinking of doing a YouTube cover. Not very technically challenging, but the groove and vocal approach on it is killer :)

Add me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stefan86

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:10 am 

The tapping part from Van Halen's Eruption on my classical guitar. It's really fun playing hard rock or heavier on classical guitar and tapping on it sound pretty cool.

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

Last edited by raspberrysoda on Fri May 06, 2016 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluwarguy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:03 pm 

Been trying to play The Heaviest Matter of the Universe by Gojira. those damn triplets in the main riff are difficult

RichardDeBenthall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:23 am 

I've been learning a lot of stoner/doom recently. It's not hard to play at all but it can be war with tone. Trying to get that Matt Pike Sleep tone is pretty damn hard unless you're rocking a big amp set-up.

Honestly at the minute I'm trying to concentrate on writing my own stuff. I get too easily distracted by wailing on somebody else's riffs for hours haha.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:39 pm 

I can play the rhythm guitar of "Piranha", the famous riff after the intro has a neat little pattern that, once you get used to, is pretty easy. Overall a really fun rhythm part.

Since I just got new pickups for my Jazz Bass, I decided to take on Rush's "Caravan" the other day. Very fun song to play, I love playing the bass solos. It was surprisingly easy to learn, but "Headlong Flight" is going to be way harder. Geddy Lee's flamenco technique has come naturally to me since I'm such a big Les Claypool fan, but it's still a bit tricky to nail. When done right it sounds totally wicked.

Polynometal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:07 pm 

I've been working my best on the drums of "Chopped In Half" by Obituary. It's such a fun song, and the first I've ever played of its kind.
Now to get someone to play the guitar with me...

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:49 pm 

Just finished learning the bass line from Jethro Tull's "Hunting Girl" very fun song!

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:52 pm 

Nice songs so far. I'm curios if anyone can play Gorgoroth's (Under) the Pagan Megalith.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:32 am 

Lich Coldheart wrote:
Nice songs so far. I'm curios if anyone can play Gorgoroth's (Under) the Pagan Megalith.

I haven't practiced it, but it's not a difficult song on guitar.

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:42 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Lich Coldheart wrote:

I haven't practiced it, but it's not a difficult song on guitar.

Awesome. If I ever manage to get a guitar and learn how to play quite a bit, I might try to play that song myself. I've always liked it quite a lot for some reason. Wish I could also find the lyrics.

RichardDeBenthall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:20 am 

I learned Bleak by Opeth recently. The main riff is fairly challenging at times, at least when played at length. The acoustic break in the middle feels great to play though, sounds superb.

wesfoll
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:00 am 

My last practice was my own song(s), but recently I had a blast recording (and blasting!) We Doom You To Death by Asphyx. :D

Rykov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:18 am 

Was fooling around with an Imprecation song yesterday. It's a little hard to make out the exact notes when the drums are blasting over low-end tremolo riffs, but they've got some damn fun songs (fun to play, that is).

mastamonkeynutz wrote:
Also if you want to make a joke please do so but please put lol after so I can know that Fred Durst isn't really dead.

Carrotttt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:42 am 

Song 4 by Earth, particularly because it's catchy as fuck and there's no tabs for it anywhere :(

"The Wizard in Black: it's drone metal; it's better at low quality if anything"

stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:17 am 

Benighted - Mourning Affliction. Thinking about making a guitar/vocal cover version but unsure if I can handle the br00t4l vocals :)

Add me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stefan86

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:48 am 

I basically played "Outbreak Of Evil" by Sodom on the E string only, but I'm sure it is a little more complex than that. It's good practice for my tremolo picking.

GrotesqueCarcass
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:22 pm 

Last thing I practiced was Blackened by Metallica and Postmortem by Slayer, the down picking is insane on these two songs, great practice for the right hand tho

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:22 pm 

Every time I play I run through the seven or eight newest covers I am working on in addition to composing my own stuff/noodling. Currently: "My God" by Jethro Tull on acoustic, which is pretty easy, until you try to sing it as well. Almost have it down to perfection though. "All the World is Green" by Tom Waits is super easy and melts hearts. "4th of July" by Soundgarden on the electric, I can play this one for hours, totally hypnotic tune. "Parasite" and "Strange Ways", both by Kiss, I've been running through.

Oh yeah and King Tut by Steve Martin.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:41 pm 

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah wrote:
"My God" by Jethro Tull on acoustic, which is pretty easy, until you try to sing it as well. Almost have it down to perfection though.

That's awesome! The acoustic in that song is wicked.

I recently began learning Yes' Siberian Khatru on bass. Very fun bass line, very unorthodox construction, but it's a blast to play. I only have to get the part during the harpsichord solo down and I can cover the entire song.

40xxx04
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:36 am 

'The Ghoul' by Pentagram.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:38 pm 

Stainedclass2112:

Yeah that's always been one of my favorite Tull songs, along with Baker St. Muse. One day I'll sit down and figure out all seventeen minutes of that masterpiece.

Siberian Khatru is a great tune. Nobody sounded like Yes except Yes.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:09 pm 

Awesome, that would be sick if you could. Have you learned much from their folk trilogy? That's my favorite era of Tull, and the musicianship therein is fantastic. I recently finished learning the bassline to "Hunting Girl" and it's very fun, not to mention it's ingeniously crafted; John Glascock was extremely underrated. RIP As of now, I'm almost entirely finished with the Siberian Khatru bass line, got the harpsichord part down. Very cool.

Oh, and not to mention Thick As a Brick, oh man, that's got some amazing work in it.

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:45 am 

Raining Blood, but about 30bpm more than the usual speed. Quite fun to play actually. Need to work a bit more on the solo but the riffs turn out really well

stainedclass2112 wrote:

BastardHead wrote:

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:38 pm 

Sweet soda, I didn't know you played guitar :headbang: That song is fun to play on guitar, but since I'm a bass player who focuses on that I can't do guitar solos :lol:

My most recent learn was Sepultura's "From the Past Comes the Storm". Some very awesome riffing in that song, good practice for fast alt picking too.

RichardDeBenthall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:31 am 

I've been trying to learn quite a lot of stuff recently. Namely The Motherload by Mastodon, Moonlapse Vertigo by Opeth and Thuja Majus Imperium by Wolves in the Throne Room.

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:24 am 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
Sweet soda, I didn't know you played guitar :headbang: That song is fun to play on guitar, but since I'm a bass player who focuses on that I can't do guitar solos :lol:

Sweet indeed! I never knew you played bass. Cool instrument by the way!

And the last song I played was Burzum's Jesus Dod. The intro is pretty difficult because you have to reach high strings with constant tremolo picking which is quite tricky, but is bearable. Also, the tone Varg reached in the album is really weird to get- the bass is set to a maximum of 2 and the treble is somewhere between 7-10.

stainedclass2112 wrote:

BastardHead wrote:

Reply to topic