Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:05 pm 

Oh yea and you looked like you pooped yourself at the end of that vid.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:10 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Oh yea and you looked like you pooped yourself at the end of that vid.

Haha I just couldn't hold it anymore! :lol:

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:56 pm 

I figured you were sweating it and it just plopped on down once you finished.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:10 pm 

You can't have a badass jam session, unless you soil yourself.

scourge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:02 pm 

Arkhane wrote:
scourge wrote:
Hey guys, great stuff here.

I got a couple of bands to show. The first one is Terrorvoid, sadly noone could be bothered to make a bandcamp or anything, so here are a couple of youtube links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3yWHKOIB2c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua0vvyPC96I

The other one is Rhododendron, a 2-piece all bass black metal project in the making. I already posted about it a couple of times, but more than anything asking for feedback on recording. Vocals are being recorded hopefully by the end of the month by the same singer of the band above. Here's the bandcamp page for what has been recorded so far:
https://rhododendronblack.bandcamp.com/

Hope you guys like them.

Terrorvoid was pretty cool. I didn't really dig the vocals on the 1st track, but I did on the 2nd one. The really fast ride cymbal needs a lot more variation on the volume, if you are gonna use drum programming. Otherwise, they were both really good songs. I can't complain much about either of them.

Rhodondendron has a really nice black metal sound. The guitars have a really nice fuzzy distortion going, without being too undefined. One thing I did notice is in Dead Sun, Joyful Day at around 5:30 into the song, the snare has a really dramatic volume increase that kinda interrupts the song every hit instead of enhancing it. In other words, the snare is way too loud in this part, but only this part. I just saw the label that claims bass only black metal, but I find it hard to believe. I'm not calling you a liar, I just can't tell it's bass only. Really nice entrancing sound though. Each riff just kinda blends together almost seamlessly. Good job.

Thanks, man. I take it as a compliment production-wise. I've never recorded anything in my life before, so I think I might be on the right track. It's great that you can get a nice "guitar" sound recording straight to line with a few pedals, since I can't afford a mic and don't have an amp. I will correct the snare volume as noted... thanks for pointing it out!

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:00 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I figured you were sweating it and it just plopped on down once you finished.

You, sir, can't be fooled.

Arkhane wrote:
You can't have a badass jam session, unless you soil yourself.

Haha, there is no other way!

subtropical
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:58 pm 

scourge wrote:
The other one is Rhododendron, a 2-piece all bass black metal project in the making. I already posted about it a couple of times, but more than anything asking for feedback on recording. Vocals are being recorded hopefully by the end of the month by the same singer of the band above. Here's the bandcamp page for what has been recorded so far:

I like this, the different roles the bass guitars play sound good and fill the sound spectrum. The thicker sound that comes in at 5.00 like in Bone Cogs reminds me of Necromantia. The songs are well written too, nice riffs and a good sense of progression.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:28 pm 

scourge wrote:

Finally got to sit and take a listen. this is far better than I thought it would be. If the drums were more real sounding I'd be even further support. Sounds great outside of the rigid drums... like just some echo or reverb on them would make it sound better cause it's not the programming. But yea would buy a cd of.

scourge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:53 pm 

Awesome, dudes. I really need to get a drummer, then... Anyone here cares for session work? hahaha

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:14 pm 

Look no further, for your drummer is right here in front of you :D

...in the musicians seeking musicians forums. :boo:

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:04 pm 

Sure thing scourge I'll do it for you.

scourge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:10 pm 

PM sent, SLK.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:20 pm 

And situation solved!

alexaons
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:39 pm 

Just recorded that son of a bitch, just looking for general feedback or ideas on how to continue this. Its not what I would call a finished product.

https://soundcloud.com/alex-bineau/doomsatan

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:52 pm 

alexaons wrote:
Just recorded that son of a bitch, just looking for general feedback or ideas on how to continue this. Its not what I would call a finished product.

Hey man I'm really enjoying this, solid riffing and sweet leadwork, can't contribute with ideas though, other than saying keep the good work buddy, haha.

Edit: "Simply Walk Into Mordor 2.0" was great too!

alexaons
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:13 pm 

IntoNevermore wrote:
alexaons wrote:

Hey man I'm really enjoying this, solid riffing and sweet leadwork, can't contribute with ideas though, other than saying keep the good work buddy, haha.

Edit: "Simply Walk Into Mordor 2.0" was great too!

Thanks! I went to listen to your song, as a way to return the favor. Pretty good I must say. I saw that you tagged it as ''metalcore'', a genre I usually despise, maybe the absence of vocals made it sweeter to my ears :p . Nonetheless I think the song was solid, even the breakdown was good. About the mix, I think the bassdrum could be a bit louder or punchier.

On another note, I randomly click on one of the link showed by Cloggedurethra, it happened to be Somfella's band. Holy shit, it kicks so much asses! Keep up the good work! The production on ''Decapitating the Sarafan'' is just awesome. This is how deathmetal should sound like.

Last edited by alexaons on Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scumdead
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:16 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNCIhPyn71E

A track from my new band that plays death metal in the old-school vein. There are no solos just yet, but those will be recorded soon.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:22 pm 

alexaons wrote:
Thanks! I went to listen to your song, as a way to return the favor. Pretty good I must say. I saw that you tagged it as ''metalcore'', a genre I usually despise, maybe the absence of vocals made it sweeter to my ears :p . Nonetheless I think the song was solid, even the breakdown was good. About the mix, I think the bassdrum could be a bit louder or punchier.

No prob man! And thanks for your words, I'm kinda starting out with music production, my "mixes" have a long way to go, haha.

scourge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:07 pm 

alexaons wrote:

This was really cool. Should sound killer with vocals.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:42 pm 

Alex... make it longer. it sounds like a snippit of a song than a full song. I've listened to it 3 times and that's cause the first 2 times I didn't know I had listened to it all the way through and it didn't register that I hear anything.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:46 pm 

Scumdead wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNCIhPyn71E

A track from my new band that plays death metal in the old-school vein. There are no solos just yet, but those will be recorded soon.

Not exactly my thing, but really dig the flow of it! That cover art looks a lot like a Kris Verwimp piece.... any chance it is?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:52 pm 

No it's Raul Gonzalez. It's meantioned in the credits on the video.

I'm really digging Scumdead's band. only complaint I have is when the drummer goes into straight double bass he seems to lose it or maybe it's just that he's much quieter during that. He really seems more comfortable with gallops and dbeats.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:16 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
No it's Raul Gonzalez. It's meantioned in the credits on the video.

I'm really digging Scumdead's band. only complaint I have is when the drummer goes into straight double bass he seems to lose it or maybe it's just that he's much quieter during that. He really seems more comfortable with gallops and dbeats.

Derp, looked right over that, sorry :D

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:08 pm 

Ain't no problem, it's hidden unless you click the expansion button.

cetacean
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:16 pm 

I tried to take all the comments from last time seriously... here's my cover of a slayer tune (with first take vocals and a noodled guitar solo because I... don't know if I should go on. :P)

https://soundcloud.com/ivoryblade/crimi ... ayer-cover
Why do you have come here. I didn't know where go, I was cold, You have heated me, I was hungry, you have eated me, I was afraid, now i doesn't have some. This is my kingdom, now it is also your. I am your debtor, ask that than you want. “I wan't your life, I desire your soul”.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:56 pm 

overall pretty nice, didn't like how loud and echolaced the vocals were. I actually blackedout apparently and didn't even remember the solo so I guess it wasn't too different from something Kerry King does.

cetacean
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:54 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
overall pretty nice, didn't like how loud and echolaced the vocals were. I actually blackedout apparently and didn't even remember the solo so I guess it wasn't too different from something Kerry King does.

wow, LOUD vocals? they sound buried to me, especially on the MP3, but this is why I ask for feedback. The reverb on the vocal is really unnecessary but it's only there because I couldn't find a better way to stereoize... any suggestions?

And yeah I actually "learned" the first bar and a half of the solo before I realized I was probably putting more effort into copying it than King and Hanneman did writing it. Fuck that noise.
Why do you have come here. I didn't know where go, I was cold, You have heated me, I was hungry, you have eated me, I was afraid, now i doesn't have some. This is my kingdom, now it is also your. I am your debtor, ask that than you want. “I wan't your life, I desire your soul”.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:38 pm 

reverb is always nice on vocals, it just needs to be less of it so it's not so echoy. and well to me they are loud I'm listening on headphones so I don't know if that factors hugely in it.

jun_tune
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:34 am 

Hi fellows.

We have new stuff online with Wrathage and eager to hear your feedback on it. We were going for a more late 90's Norway feeling on the production side, trying to keep it sounding quite natural rather than modern production. The drums are maybe a bit buried beneath other stuff but besides that we're very pleased with the outcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxQVYTaKYBA

Cheers,
-J-

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:47 am 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152473163040912

Love some feedback (the harsher the better!) on this. I'm pretty sure I don't have it 100% since I learned the song by ear though.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:54 am 

somefella wrote:

Love some feedback (the harsher the better!) on this. I'm pretty sure I don't have it 100% since I learned the song by ear though.

Don't really have anything harsh to say. What I do have to say is you might be able to tighten up the faster palm mutes on the E-string during the first few riffs and the chunkier slow part after the solo. Solo you have down fine. That's an easy as hell solo though. I only know this song up until the heavy chunk riff after the solo, the part after that I don't know. So I know what you are playing in this video up until about the 1:30 mark.

That said it's funny you posted the beginning of Holy Wars because that beginning part (minus the part you played I never bothered to learn how to play) has been a favorite of mine to play while warming up/dicking around for a couple years now.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:06 pm 

Thanks man, appreciate it. I don't really consider that a solo, more of like a lead line. Yeah I always knew how to play the main motif but for the purpose of this quick video which I recorded to show my new guitar I just learned the rest of the song by ear. The trickiest bit is the last line of the verse riff. First it's played in major third intervals and then the same thing in power chords, so it ends off on a more powerful note. Man, Mustaine is a hell of a guitarist.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:10 pm 

Yeah he's amazing. So much better than any member of Metallica hahahahah.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:41 pm 

jun_tune wrote:
Hi fellows.

We have new stuff online with Wrathage and eager to hear your feedback on it. We were going for a more late 90's Norway feeling on the production side, trying to keep it sounding quite natural rather than modern production. The drums are maybe a bit buried beneath other stuff but besides that we're very pleased with the outcome.

Cheers,
-J-

Wow you are really missing the mark on it being natural. The drums are pretty upfront in this as well but not horribly so, just about right. Are the guitars direct in? There's something that's sorta off about them. They should be louder. The vocals I'd like better if they were a little lower. but once the actual blasting started it sounds better as a song. Really hate the clean vocals, just not my thing. But yea this doesn't sound really 90's natural. more like modern. Song isn't bad though. I could give further songs a listen.

somefella wrote:

gay ass star on dat guitar, ruins the entire performance.

jun_tune
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:39 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
jun_tune wrote:
Hi fellows.

Cheers,
-J-

...Are the guitars direct in? There's something that's sorta off about them. They should be louder...But yea this doesn't sound really 90's natural. more like modern...

The guitars were micced from the cabinets, we used two different sounds to record but the mixer took only one sound for the mix. They're a little bit too distorted and might have needed additional clean-up to get them stand out more but at the end of the day that adds up to the "late 90-s"-sound that you didn't find there :)

We actually gave as a reference to the mixer the album "Emperor - Anthems to the welkin at dusk" and "The crown - Deathrace king" and I think there's enough anthems where as the guitar driven deathrace king we did not succeed as well with , but still satisfied with the result.

But hey thanks for the input, much appreciated \m/
-J-

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:43 am 

I see. both of those albums are still pretty clean sounding. though the Crown is def more dry in the mix. I asked about the guitars because they were so cut and dry sounding where there is not even a minimum of ring out or feedback. Those sorta key sounds that allow it to sound more 'live' And since they weren't solidly mixed and more upfront for me to tell... they really came off sounding like a direct in with a amp sim on it.

cetacean
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:30 pm 

Here's another version with completely different vocals and hopefully a better mix.
I've decided I'm keeping the joke solo though. ;)

https://soundcloud.com/ivoryblade/crimi ... ayer-cover

nihilnihilnihil
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:04 am 

Hello, guys.
This is my works. If you can tell me about what your feeling and suggestions. I will appreciate it.
Thanks all. :D

http://mybrideissolitude.bandcamp.com/releases

xpsychoblissx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:52 pm 

This is something I'm working on.... What do you think so far?

https://soundcloud.com/severedreceptors/clean-start-ritual/s-oo4yR

ThrasherAxeman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:46 pm 

I just recorded a 3-songs mini album with my band. Would like to know what you think about it.
https://soundcloud.com/wrath-of-the-tyr ... e-storm-ep

PD: I have yet to upload one more song lol

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 31  Next