Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
gioval09
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:01 pm 

Does anybody know how to mix and edit growls to get Behemoth-like (especially from the album "Evangelion") sound?
Any help appreciated.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:02 pm 

The short answer is multi-tracking. It sounds to me like Nergal didn’t use as many tracks on Envangelion as he did on Demigod, but they are definitely still there. Creating effective mutli-tracked vocals can be a bit tricky, like anything it’s important to start with really good takes. You’ll want to nail the timing as closely as possible otherwise it will sound weird if the tracks deviate from each other. Depending on your range you may also want to experiment with your vocal style, I’ve got some vocals I was pretty happy with by layering a low growl and a throaty shouting. Even just a subtle difference in tone can help make the overall vocal effect sound much bigger.

As far as mixing goes, I’ll run the tracks through a compressor with a fairly high ratio and low threshold to really flatten the dynamics and bring the takes closer together, as far as I’ve messed around with vocal multi-tracking I’ve found getting that right has been fairly useful in creating a full, unified sound between the tracks. Afterward I apply overdrive and a bit of reverb, but I probably do that with almost any harsh vocals.

doktersatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:46 am 

also maybe a reversed reverb leading into every vocal.. You achieve this by printing the finished multi tracked vocals to another track.. reversing that and slapping on reverb (use a long reverb, dont be subtle) printing that to yet another track and reversing that so that it's effectively leading into every scream. I don't really know how frequently they do this as I'm not that into Behemoth but it's a nice effect to "demonize" your vocals just a little bit more.

gioval09
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:44 pm 

Thank you both, I'll check all your suggestions.

Reply to topic