Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:18 pm 

Damn you get up early man, even on the weekends.

Also added another demo I recorded a few days ago:

http://soundcloud.com/poormansiscariot/ghost-orchid

Just a silly little piano thing. Real shitty performance. I've gotta start re-recording some of this shit. I get so 'enamored' with my next idea that once I finish my rudimentary demo, I move on to the next thing and never look back. I've got to polish some of this garbage.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:47 pm 

I'm not a huge fan of sleep, that's all!

and sometimes it's best instead of doing a demo just full fledge completing a project before moving to the next cause I know that entire getting excited about doing a new thing before completing an old one.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:44 pm 

wrote and recorded the death metal song that I had been mulling and reconstructing a few times already.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:28 am 

Finished up the drum track of a song. Progress has been rather slow these days...
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:42 am 

wrote my black metal song for the one day challenge. i basically have it so I can easily take off my vocals and use it as a 54R song.

Animicantus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:34 pm 

Improving my speed on everything. Keeping a log on everything. Trying to stay as loose as possible.

defyexistance wrote:
It also sounds like he says "The raven licks my asshole" as the first vocal line there. It never fails to crack me up.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:43 pm 

Well shit. We got offered touring support on 5 dates for a lesser known but international band and also an opening slot in our hometown for a fairly big band, but the dates conflict and we can only do one or the other. It’s a really tough decision.

StinkyPenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:56 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
Well shit. We got offered touring support on 5 dates for a lesser known but international band and also an opening slot in our hometown for a fairly big band, but the dates conflict and we can only do one or the other. It’s a really tough decision.

I haven't toured (yet) but going some place new is a lot of fun. You can gain some new fans, have a ton of fun, and maybe even stir up some hell. But driving is a pain in the ass and navigating somewhere you've never been can be tough.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:08 pm 

I think it would depend for me how big or well received the smaller shows would be. I've toured before and sometimes it's not worth driving 8 hours to play to 6 people. But if you have never toured before... hell give it a shot.

Wrote a another death metal song today. will record tmwr.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:57 pm 

Yeah that's the thing, I'm not totally sure what draw the tour will get. Might be small, but it will get us into a bunch of cities we haven't played before. On the flipside, the band we've been offer to open for in out home city is easily the biggest band we've gotten a chance to play with. Hell they've had multiple hit singles in the UK. But is still a local show, even if it is a high profile one.

Eh, we'll figure it out, its just a tough call.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:11 am 

flip a coin.

personally i would probably play the larger show.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:13 am 

Yeah thats what I'm leaning towards but we're still weighing our options. One good thing about having a three member band is that eventually there is always a majority in agreement.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:20 am 

hell that's why i like most of my bands are one man events.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:40 am 

If you can afford it, I'd personally go with the multiple shows option. I know I've never toured before and it can be a major gamble, but it also sounds like a good adventure.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:33 pm 

Wrote 8 bars of a 32 bar solo. Then listened to some Virus and made a couple of dissonant jangling chords and stuff.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:37 pm 

Today I started playing bass guitar. Months of frustration lie ahead.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:49 pm 

recorded the song I wrote yesterday.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:13 am 

Neglecting to record the guitar parts for one song. Also necglecting practice. I'm a lazy fuck.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:01 am 

That's terrible.

I actually slept in today and decided to chill a bit cause I wasn't quite sure what I was planning on doing at my shed today musically. So I said hell with it. I'll get a lil bfast and listen to a bit of inspiration. I think I know what i'm going to do now. I'm debating if I'll go to the gym after I move a desk for my mother at 11.

ArtificialStupidity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:07 pm 

Came up with a cool 11/8 riff. You can actually tap your foot to it, it doesn't sound curvy in the sense of modern tech death. It's all about accents. A single bar of 11/8 is irregular, but when you put them in pairs (11 + 11 = 22) it becomes a regular rhythm, you just accentuate it differently. Cool, huh? I know Gorguts does this often. Hermann Szobel also. He did some mindblowing jazz-classical fusion in the 70's. It's a shame he only ever did one album, then disappeared. I recall he also had some mental disorder and currently lives in an asylym.

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:58 pm 

Can't focus on studying, too much crazy tech grind to write. Also, got a few gigs coming up supporting acts like Tsjuder, Kampfar, Skyforger etc. Looking forward.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:37 pm 

artificial... what are you writing it for? Meaning bandwise, sounds pretty interesting.

went to my shed recorded the song I wanted. actually took video of me doing so and took pics of my gear.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:29 pm 

Six hour jam session happened today. Although it's supposed to be a kind of power metal band with harsh vocals, we ended up doing this weird funeral doom type thing at one point... Which actually sounded pretty cool.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:55 pm 

demand everyone go with that direction cause it's much more awesome.

just mixing on some drums.

ArtificialStupidity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:50 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
artificial... what are you writing it for? Meaning bandwise, sounds pretty interesting.

went to my shed recorded the song I wanted. actually took video of me doing so and took pics of my gear.

It's classical music with modernized instrumentation. There are riffs but there's constant variation and development going on. I feel the problem with the most so called real classical nowadays is that it lacks clear guidelines, thus making it hard to approach. I understand some composers don't intend their music to be that way as they feel it's limiting. I wanted to reduce the ambitious orchestration to band instrumentation implying around five people, while still retaining the versatile musical language. Modern instrumentation grants the listeners the key to the music, it's like showing the entrance. Beyond that point, they're on their own. Regardless of the instrumentation it's very free structurally. Harmony on this one is based on two keys and the common chords they share. Nothing you could consider harsh sounding. It's the kind of music that goes well with Edward Hopper's paintings like Portishead or some other trip hop.

Animicantus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:40 pm 

ArtificialStupidity wrote:
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

It's classical music with modernized instrumentation. There are riffs but there's constant variation and development going on. I feel the problem with the most so called real classical nowadays is that it lacks clear guidelines, thus making it hard to approach. I understand some composers don't intend their music to be that way as they feel it's limiting. I wanted to reduce the ambitious orchestration to band instrumentation implying around five people, while still retaining the versatile musical language. Modern instrumentation grants the listeners the key to the music, it's like showing the entrance. Beyond that point, they're on their own. Regardless of the instrumentation it's very free structurally. Harmony on this one is based on two keys and the common chords they share. Nothing you could consider harsh sounding. It's the kind of music that goes well with Edward Hopper's paintings like Portishead or some other trip hop.

That sounds really badass.

defyexistance wrote:
It also sounds like he says "The raven licks my asshole" as the first vocal line there. It never fails to crack me up.

StinkyPenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:55 pm 

Came up with a cool 11/8 riff. You can actually tap your foot to it, it doesn't sound curvy in the sense of modern tech death. It's all about accents. A single bar of 11/8 is irregular, but when you put them in pairs (11 + 11 = 22) it becomes a regular rhythm, you just accentuate it differently. Cool, huh? I know Gorguts does this often. Hermann Szobel also. He did some mindblowing jazz-classical fusion in the 70's. It's a shame he only ever did one album, then disappeared. I recall he also had some mental disorder and currently lives in an asylym.

Very cool. I want to start using different time signatures in Leaking Head but I'll have to do that on my own since my drummer is SO rudimentary. Something similar to Fetch the Pliers by Infest.

Also got told by Rev. Sinn from Bludwulf that Leaking Head is the best band in Rochester. And we are hopefully going to be recording with my friend once I work on more material.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:39 pm 

AS, that sounds really interesting... any possible recording in the future?

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:52 am 

That sounds awesome. Do you approach it in a similar way to Tyr or Adramelech? I know both of those bands use odd times accented in standard time, it's quite interesting.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:29 am 

^Which Tyr? I'm thinking it's the one from the Faroe Islands, but I don't recall them using odd times...

And yeah, I've always been interested in AS's writings. I would love to hear some recordings or something.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:38 am 

triggerhappy wrote:
^Which Tyr? I'm thinking it's the one from the Faroe Islands, but I don't recall them using odd times...

And yeah, I've always been interested in AS's writings. I would love to hear some recordings or something.

Yeah, that one. I'm not extensively familiar with them, but what I've heard has melodies in odd times accented in 4/4.

MrDisgrace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:46 am 

Just finished working on my first chiptune EP. If anyone's interested, here's the link http://www.mediafire.com/?nk45kear47hc5g2

Other than that, I'm gonna resume work on my DSBM album. I put it on hold because I was having some problems with my guitar (the input jack became loose).

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:33 am 

what's a chiptune? I testing out what i mixed down yesterday and seeing what i need to adjust. might work on mixing some other drums for other projects.

Astrum502
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:32 pm 

Hi, can I get an opinion here?
I'm working on a new solo project, and I'm trying to approach it differently from my band and other stuff.

Here is the 1st new song I recorded, I plan to do a 5 song EP with this style.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtjNARVTcME

Personally I like it, and I think it's different enough than my other projects, of course everything I do will probably sound like I did it, but that's to be expected. Thanks.
Timpaler

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:07 pm 

Are you familar with no-wave and post-punk?

for post punk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDdx2lnn1-Y

for my favorite no-wave band
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkj50A5PdF0

cause that's the style you are doing. I like it cause i've listened to stuff like that before. It would do wonders to get some real drums to keep a more loose feel to it all, cause I like how loose it feels in the guitar and vocals but since the drum is a strict time keeper it makes it sound sloppy and off. But that loose feeling is what makes it.

not the biggest fan of the tone, i would actually like to hear it more destroyed sounding. like get an old ass 12in combo amp and kick it down a flight of stairs and then hit it up for some recording.

ArtificialStupidity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:18 pm 

Thanks Animicantus and StinkyPenis I appreciate it :)

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
AS, that sounds really interesting... any possible recording in the future?

Not in the near future at least, expect a synth version similar to what I posted earlier. I'll record it once I get an opportunity and find musicians willing to play it. So far I've written everything on guitar because it's more natural to me but I'm learning it on piano to be able to hear it from that perspective. The song structure is finished and I'm writing it down on Sibelius currently.

On how I approach the time signature thing, try tapping your foot to the opening riff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7L1kxzyfAY. Tap on the first and third strum and keep that rhythm. Second time you hear the riff you're now tapping on the off-beats and accent the riff differently. That's because the time signature here is 23/8, which is irregular. You can count it 8+3+3+3+3+3.

MrDisgrace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:24 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
what's a chiptune? I testing out what i mixed down yesterday and seeing what i need to adjust. might work on mixing some other drums for other projects.

8-bit music. The kinda music you'd hear on game systems such as the NES or Master System.

Here's a classic example of a chiptune http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgiqduwH ... re=related

Astrum502
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:04 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Are you familar with no-wave and post-punk?

cause that's the style you are doing. I like it cause i've listened to stuff like that before. It would do wonders to get some real drums to keep a more loose feel to it all, cause I like how loose it feels in the guitar and vocals but since the drum is a strict time keeper it makes it sound sloppy and off. But that loose feeling is what makes it.

not the biggest fan of the tone, i would actually like to hear it more destroyed sounding. like get an old ass 12in combo amp and kick it down a flight of stairs and then hit it up for some recording.

Shaolin-
Was this in reply to my post?
If so, thanks for the feedback.

I don't know, I mean I grew up with and was inspired by early Motorhead, Venom, The Exploited, and Discharge, and I tend to think all my stuff sounds influenced by all that in a blender.

I did like the post punk link, I am familiar with a lot of those bands.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:47 pm 

Astrum502, yes it was in reply to that. I can kinda hear your inspirations but how everything comes out it reminded me far more of the post punk material. I'd listen to more of it. so keep it up

MrDisgrace, ahhh I see. If you just said 8-bit i would've know immediately what it was!

ArtificialStupidity, I'd def love to hear it whever you get it together. and I never knew the time signature to that Gorguts song... I actually have listened to it so much sounds normal to me. I love it. favorite album ever.

today had practice with the weirdo band. we wrote most of a new song and went over the old one. guitarist is supposed to record the tracks this week and email them to us so we can work further on our individual parts. We might pick up a second guitarist as well.

StinkyPenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:16 am 

Astrum502 wrote:
Hi, can I get an opinion here?
I'm working on a new solo project, and I'm trying to approach it differently from my band and other stuff.

Here is the 1st new song I recorded, I plan to do a 5 song EP with this style.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtjNARVTcME

Personally I like it, and I think it's different enough than my other projects, of course everything I do will probably sound like I did it, but that's to be expected. Thanks.
Timpaler

Cool riffs/tone. But you should get someone to do vocals and make it less sloppy. Reminds me of Devo a bit. But the vocals. They really need work.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 185  Next