Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:12 am 

never2muchmetal wrote:
Quick question, sorry if its been covered. I read through a lot of this thread and didn't see it covered. I've been trying to find some guys to start a band with, aiming towards a death/thrash sound with a mix of Hypocrisy or Bolt Thrower style vocals. But anyway, I've been smoking for about 2 years now, I've almost got the perfect mix of what I'm looking for but its just lacking, could it be that smoking is what is keeping me from that last little bit?

Smoking can affect your voice, but there's no guarantee that it will. The best you can do is try ditching the fags and seeing if it changes. Of course, could be that the damage is already done, in which case quitting now wouldn't make a difference.

Honestly, I don't know. All I can tell you is that the smokes very well could be your problem.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:41 pm 

I've got an question,i've been doing death metal grunts for 1 year now,and tried normal vocals for 1 month or something,i'd like to continue with normal vocals,but the problem is that my voice is pretty heavy,and when i try to scream ''normal'' i get an death metal scream,instead of a normal one.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance! :)

ZombieExecution
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:43 pm 

Can someone tell me were is the best place and/or website to advertise my singing.

pwd666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:36 pm 

ZombieExecution wrote:
Can someone tell me were is the best place and/or website to advertise my singing.

Well I'm assuming this is quite obvious, but http://www.myspace.com seems to be the most popular for such a thing.

BattleMaster
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:35 pm 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
never2muchmetal wrote:
Quick question, sorry if its been covered. I read through a lot of this thread and didn't see it covered. I've been trying to find some guys to start a band with, aiming towards a death/thrash sound with a mix of Hypocrisy or Bolt Thrower style vocals. But anyway, I've been smoking for about 2 years now, I've almost got the perfect mix of what I'm looking for but its just lacking, could it be that smoking is what is keeping me from that last little bit?

Smoking can affect your voice, but there's no guarantee that it will. The best you can do is try ditching the fags and seeing if it changes. Of course, could be that the damage is already done, in which case quitting now wouldn't make a difference.

Honestly, I don't know. All I can tell you is that the smokes very well could be your problem.

I've been growling for about 2 and 1/2 years now, and smoke about a half a pack a day, and I've never had any problems with my voice, but smoking will severely damage your vocal chords in the long run. What do you think exactly is lacking from your screams? Depth, range or the "X" factor?

Anyway, examples of me with my band available here..

Comments and Criticism welcome.

never2muchmetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:58 am 

BattleMaster wrote:
never2muchmetal wrote:

I've been growling for about 2 and 1/2 years now, and smoke about a half a pack a day, and I've never had any problems with my voice, but smoking will severely damage your vocal chords in the long run. What do you think exactly is lacking from your screams? Depth, range or the "X" factor?

Honestly...I don't really know. I think maybe its because I'm a tad bit embarrassed, I've never really been one to do this kind of thing and around here metal is kinda looked down upon, conservative christian society where you wont hear anything but gospel and country. Or it might be that I think I just don't sound good. No one has my growls/screams as of yet. But, I actually found a few guys that want to get a band going with me, they have all the gear and the connections needed to get shows for some reason I just feel like I'm not ready.

BattleMaster
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:26 am 

never2muchmetal wrote:
BattleMaster wrote:
never2muchmetal wrote:

Honestly...I don't really know. I think maybe its because I'm a tad bit embarrassed, I've never really been one to do this kind of thing and around here metal is kinda looked down upon, conservative christian society where you wont hear anything but gospel and country. Or it might be that I think I just don't sound good. No one has my growls/screams as of yet. But, I actually found a few guys that want to get a band going with me, they have all the gear and the connections needed to get shows for some reason I just feel like I'm not ready.

Take my advice on this one, the only way your going to get really good at metal vocals is to get in a band. I used to sound terrible when I first joined my band, it was the first time I'd ever been behind a mic and I used to get super nervous anytime I had to scream in front of anyone, but eventually I just got over it. You just kind of have to jump in head first and find out what works and doesn't. Also, youtube might be able to help you. I just recently perfected my technique for Devourment-style gurgles with the help from a video on youtube. Just type in what your looking for and you might find some help. Lastly, you might want to try getting into a singing class. I was lucky enough to take opreatic vocie for a few years and they teach you so many breathing techniques (like singing from your diaphragm) that really help you out.

Emperor_Of_Ice
Butterfly Sister Marjoram

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:40 pm 

I went looking for instructional videos on youtube and found this gem:

Borat Teaches Screaming

Dreamaria
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:18 am 

I'm a female death metal vocalist (lots of roars/growls) and in a weird way, I think smoking has helped me with my roaring, specifically. Gets the gurgling throat thing going on, I dunno. People have said I sound like Angela Gossow, which I take as a compliment, but I don't think my voice is as....clear? as hers. She an do the harsh vocals without sounding completely not-understandable.

I watched that video of the Borat guy, and I laughed HARD. He does a really good voice impression, haha.

I need to get my ass in gear and upload some demos for you guys.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:33 am 

I've got a query for anyone who can help me.

I can pull of a raspy sort of deep rumble, and that's more or less the meat and potatoes of my style, but lately I've been curious about how the vocals of Demilich are done.

Does anyone know how to pull off something like this?

Serpenthrone777
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:29 am 

I used to be able to scream really good, but after I quit smoking I could never get that rasp or gurgle in my throat anymore. My throat was just always dry and clear. It's now become very difficult to scream. Sometimes if I eat specific foods I manage to do it though. I dunno, I've heard smoking doesn't improve your ability to scream though so whatever. I'll just have to keep practicing. Any tips on how to get the gurgle or rasp in the throat again?

deviant_messiah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:33 pm 

Emperor_Of_Ice wrote:
I went looking for instructional videos on youtube and found this gem:

Borat Teaches Screaming

This provided me with the lulz, thank you.

fleshmountain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:21 pm 

I think that I've discovered that one of the reasons my growls sound the way they do is because due to my allergies, my throat almost always has a thicker than normal layer of mucus in it, which makes it sound better I think than when its not there, but this cuts down on my breathing ability so I cant do those uber long screams. I dont know if that makes sense to anyone or not. Ive been working on that though, I believe somebody here suggested jumping jacks while growling the ABC's, its working. Had a few longer than average screams at the last band practice.

http://soundcloud.com/dr-ug-1

Bloodyredthorns
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:47 pm 

i have been listening to some power metal/ speed metal stuff and i am really liking the vocals of old helloween (keeper of the seven keys era) and i can't pull off the highs they .. i can't really explain it but get all garglely like when i try to do them so how can i correct this problem?

blackblood666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:57 pm 

Serpenthrone777 wrote:
I used to be able to scream really good, but after I quit smoking I could never get that rasp or gurgle in my throat anymore. My throat was just always dry and clear. It's now become very difficult to scream. Sometimes if I eat specific foods I manage to do it though. I dunno, I've heard smoking doesn't improve your ability to scream though so whatever. I'll just have to keep practicing. Any tips on how to get the gurgle or rasp in the throat again?

Start smoking again. Why stop in the first place? I can't think of a better way to buy death.

Neowulf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:27 am 

Bloodyredthorns wrote:
i have been listening to some power metal/ speed metal stuff and i am really liking the vocals of old helloween (keeper of the seven keys era) and i can't pull off the highs they .. i can't really explain it but get all garglely like when i try to do them so how can i correct this problem?

Michael Kiske is probably a tenor and has a very strong and clean falsetto voice, and he can hit very high notes. Chances are that you are not a tenor and will never be able to hit the same notes with that power. But keep practising highs and your falsetto and see where it takes you.

pwd666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:02 pm 

Dreamaria wrote:
... I need to get my ass in gear and upload some demos for you guys.

Ya, do that! It will be good to hear some female vocals. My voice isn't very low, and its kind of discouraging as a guy, but at least its not high pitched though. Lets here sny advice you may have too.

Bloodyredthorns
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:11 pm 

Bloodyredthorns wrote:

i still am having trouble with m high power metal stuff, i figured that my voice was to low to do them but matt barlow has a pretty low voice and is capable of doing high vocals, so should i get vocal/singing lessons? the only problem is i don't want to be taught stupid mary had a little lamb shit or any do re mi so la fa ti do bullshit, should i get some kind of lessons or just keep practicing?

BattleMaster
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:52 pm 

Bloodyredthorns wrote:
Bloodyredthorns wrote:

i still am having trouble with m high power metal stuff, i figured that my voice was to low to do them but matt barlow has a pretty low voice and is capable of doing high vocals, so should i get vocal/singing lessons? the only problem is i don't want to be taught stupid mary had a little lamb shit or any do re mi so la fa ti do bullshit, should i get some kind of lessons or just keep practicing?

Got to learn your basics first dude. That "Do Re Mi So La Fat Ti Do Bullshit" is there for a reason. I know alot of people will disagree with me on this, but you'll never be a great singer unless you go through classical voice training (ESPECIALLY in Power Metal).

Neowulf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:58 pm 

If you do not wish to be taught Do re mi bullshit, what do you think you will be taught? Magical tricks to instantly shoot your voice up to high C? Stop dreaming, and realize that to sing like Michael Kiske and Matt Barlow you will need to practice like shit, and know exactly what and how to practice. A vocal coach can teach you that, and if you have the money and the time, and are motivated to really become a professional singer you should go to one. They will teach you do re mi bullshit, but a good vocal coach knows what s/he is doing.

And as BattleMaster implies, especially for power metal should it be useful with classical training, since the style taught classically and the power metal style are so much alike. (That is, no growling and screaming business)

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:37 pm 

Here's what I do to practice my singing, since I'm not currently in a 'band' per se (just a solo thrash project)

In my car's CD changer, disc 1 is Melissa Cross' warm-up CD
Disc two is whatever I'm practicing along with at the time. Currently it's Slayer's God Hates Us All, which is a pretty accurate example of the vocal style I have. I would say my vocal style is like half Slayer - 'Disciple' and half Strapping Young Lad's 'Room 429'.

A couple people tried bringing this up, but no one really seemed to pick up on it, so I'll try it again:

What do you guys use for lyrical inspiration? I keep a small notepad with me at work, and when I'm bored I usually end up writing some music or lyrics there. I'm stuck on a couple songs though, lyric-wise.

BattleMaster
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:04 am 

I just keep trying to challenge myself as a lyricist. I like writing about very base topics (my previous work includes vampires, necrophiliacs, murder), but try to put a poetic twist on it. As far as insipiration, I like taking bands ideas that I hear and take it a step further. For example, a few months ago Cradle of Filth's "Dusk...And Her Embrace" was on heavy rotation, as was Mutiilation's "Vampires of Black Imperial Blood". I liked the gothic, castles and moonlight feel each ablum had and so wrote a song about vampires.

Reaper43
Painsponge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:24 pm 

I find that I become the most inspired within an hour of some form of devastating occurrence in my life. Though inspiration does strike me from time to time. I've found days when I've been deprived of sleep yield rather interesting lyrics as my thought process flows smoothly without the distraction of a million thoughts.
I created this blog with the intention of making rare and/or out of print material more readily available. Showcases local artists as well as rare material from popular artists to create a diverse collection. Updated 31/03/08 105+ releases.

etherealemblem
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:07 pm 

Whenever my parents arn't home, I'll post some vocals, and the zen of screaming was the shit that worked for me....very helpful, and now screaming/growling doesn't even hurt, at all.

SCMugen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:13 pm 

Anyone has an advice on how to achive Nasum-esque vocals? I'm more than capable doing anything but that! And I love them so much....

SpiralLoiter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:24 am 

Another addition to my channel:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HMx4hutwETM

Scrabsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:16 pm 

A couple of attempted growls, a lower one and a higher one, anyone got any advice to give? There really isn't any particular band I want to sound like I'd just like to be able to do it safely and well.

My singing, my voice sounds a little emo and lacks resonance, which I've been given advice to fix already and I'm working on it, but what else can I do to improve my singing?

UmbraNihil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:14 pm 

I'm a singer in a thrash band, but in my off-time I like to practice traditional singing.
I just recovered from two-weeks of being sick (just a minor illness), and now I can hardly sing traditionally at all. My throat is worn out from hacking and coughing, and my range is nothing compared to what it was, and everything sounds forced.
I think I just need to practice and get back into the habit of practicing, but the real issue is my throat being worn out, should I wait for it to get better, or should I start practicing now? And is there any way beyond simply not talking to hasten my throat's recovery?

BloodyBlade
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:43 am 

I've been playing with gutterals lately, and they sound really good except I lose too much air. How do I limit the air passing through my throat better?

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:15 am 

BloodyBlade wrote:
I've been playing with gutterals lately, and they sound really good except I lose too much air. How do I limit the air passing through my throat better?

In my experience, you don't.

There are two ways that I found to help solve the problem, though. The first is just by practicing breathing so you can improve your lung capacity. The second is to get used to keeping a reservoir of air that you can constantly "top up" with little breathes between words or phrases. You should only take big, deep breathes during breaks in the singing.

Neowulf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:38 am 

Scrabsy wrote:

A couple of attempted growls, a lower one and a higher one, anyone got any advice to give? There really isn't any particular band I want to sound like I'd just like to be able to do it safely and well.

My singing, my voice sounds a little emo and lacks resonance, which I've been given advice to fix already and I'm working on it, but what else can I do to improve my singing?

For the growls - E-NUN-CI-ATE. Unless of course, you were actually growling the lyrics "prrrourrr hhhrrrr, urrrurr, puourrrrrrr"? ;) It sounds like you are trying to get lower by just contorting your mouth to a little "o" shape and moving as little as possible. Don't do that. Your lips and tounge should move at least as much as in normal speech when growling and singing. It also sounds quite whispery, you may want to push more and try to achieve more of a roaring, but that of course depends on what style you are aiming at.

The clean singing is not too bad, but it sounds like you are afraid your parents will hear you or something. Try to project your voice, remember that the purpose is that people are supposed to hear you! So don't be afraid to sing out and add some power.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:47 pm 

UmbraNihil wrote:
I'm a singer in a thrash band, but in my off-time I like to practice traditional singing.
I just recovered from two-weeks of being sick (just a minor illness), and now I can hardly sing traditionally at all. My throat is worn out from hacking and coughing, and my range is nothing compared to what it was, and everything sounds forced.
I think I just need to practice and get back into the habit of practicing, but the real issue is my throat being worn out, should I wait for it to get better, or should I start practicing now? And is there any way beyond simply not talking to hasten my throat's recovery?

do not DO NOT force singing if your throat is fucked, that's a good way to mess it up worse. To help it heal, try drinking some warm water with a bit of honey in it, and go an entire day without talking at all. Also make sure you're drinking enough water and getting enough sleep, that will really help also.

SpiralLoiter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:10 pm 

Scrabsy, I think you're not using a good technique there...
Anyway, the best way to check is to record a full cover (including music).
Try doing that. If your throat won't hurt or burn (much) afterwards, it's already a step forward, and only then you should post it here and ask for criticism.
As far as I can hear though, your vocals sound kind of "throaty", if you understand...

Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:10 pm 

infinitenexus wrote:

do not DO NOT force singing if your throat is fucked, that's a good way to mess it up worse. To help it heal, try drinking some warm water with a bit of honey in it, and go an entire day without talking at all. Also make sure you're drinking enough water and getting enough sleep, that will really help also.

:lol: Where do these stupid myths come from? Water and honey, while it may taste good and sooth your pain, WILL NOT help anything heal.

Strange Death Metal

UmbraNihil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:41 pm 

Thorgrim_Honkronte wrote:
infinitenexus wrote:

:lol: Where do these stupid myths come from? Water and honey, while it may taste good and sooth your pain, WILL NOT help anything heal.

Thank you both.

Scrabsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:49 pm 

OK, thanks for the advice, =]

@ SpiralLoiter: I growl along to songs quite often and my throat rarely burns, however I assume the fact that it sometimes does is an indicator of bad technique. I do understand what you mean by "throaty", basically that I'm using my throat too much which you're really not supposed to do are you? I'll try to modify my technique, but before I do am I right when I say it's supposed to come "from the gut"?

@Neowulf: Hahaha :P I think it was a line from a Machine Head song, I'm saying "Black blood dripping from platinum fangs, rich blood flees while our poverty hangs." When I'm listening to it I can see what you mean, knowing what I'm saying already I can understand it but I can see how it would be completely indecipherable to anyone else.
And I'll try to project a little more ;) I just get a little self-conscious, which I guess I'm just going to have to work through, I'm trying to start a band and being too self-conscious to sing properly is basically suicide, isn't it?

SpiralLoiter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:15 pm 

Scrabsy wrote:
OK, thanks for the advice, =]

@ SpiralLoiter: I growl along to songs quite often and my throat rarely burns, however I assume the fact that it sometimes does is an indicator of bad technique. I do understand what you mean by "throaty", basically that I'm using my throat too much which you're really not supposed to do are you? I'll try to modify my technique, but before I do am I right when I say it's supposed to come "from the gut"?

@Neowulf: Hahaha :P I think it was a line from a Machine Head song, I'm saying "Black blood dripping from platinum fangs, rich blood flees while our poverty hangs." When I'm listening to it I can see what you mean, knowing what I'm saying already I can understand it but I can see how it would be completely indecipherable to anyone else.
And I'll try to project a little more ;) I just get a little self-conscious, which I guess I'm just going to have to work through, I'm trying to start a band and being too self-conscious to sing properly is basically suicide, isn't it?

If it burns on the low growls, I am absolutely positive you're technique is bad. Try reading my little article on wikihow ("how to growl"). I wrote it because I believe that this is the proper way to do it, without damaging your folds. Works for me like a charm. I can do full day sessions and my throat isn't even soar.

Scrabsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:45 pm 

Actually, it's normally the higher ones that hurt, when it does hurt. I'll have a look at your WikiHow though, :)

SpiralLoiter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:26 am 

High ones at most should "burn" a little, because of the tension on the folds, but for me at least they never hurt.

Galemir
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:38 pm 

My vocal teacher is a blues singer, and yet he has managed to help me with my screaming/growling vocals AND power metal vocals better than anything I've ever tried. First and foremost, NOTHING SHOULD BE HAPPENING IN YOUR THROAT! If you feel it in your throat, or rely on phlegm and smoking-based rasp to create your screams, you're hurting your vocal folds, and will lose your ability to scream eventually. Secondly, my teacher uses the Zen of Screaming and Melissa Cross' warmup cd to train himself and all of his other students, though I'm the only one who actually screams or does death metal. It helps with everything, building range, strengthening all parts of your voice, and if you like, it can help you growl, grunt, or scream without even having to try at all. Effortless and it sounds great. :) I highly recommend it.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 44  Next