Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:25 pm 

I've learned the main part to Victor Wooten's "Me And My Bass Guitar", and am quite pleased with myself

DeathFog
Temporally-Displaced Fossil

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:27 am 

I am now without my bass for a week at least. After I changed the strings the neck got bended and started to remind of a curve instead of a straight line, so I brought it to one guy who repairs and makes guitars. He is a legendary person here.

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:03 pm 

Truss rod adjustment is a bitch. Fortunately the new bass I have has the cavity thing on the body side of the neck as opposed to the neck, which is quite convenient.

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:22 pm 

I want to know some intermediate songs to play on bass. Either Black or Death metal

DeathFog

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:59 pm 

NeglectedField wrote:
Truss rod adjustment is a bitch. Fortunately the new bass I have has the cavity thing on the body side of the neck as opposed to the neck, which is quite convenient.

Adjustment did not help. The wood itself shrunk after 3 years. And the fact that I changed the strings only after 3 years, could have also affected the thing. So now the neck will undergo some complicated processing.

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:26 pm 

NeglectedField wrote:
I've learned the main part to Victor Wooten's "Me And My Bass Guitar", and am quite pleased with myself

git dang that song is amazing. All I can say :p

DeathFog

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:39 pm 

Got my bass back. It is in a much better condition now.

SCMugen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:15 am 

I'm thinking about buying an Ibanez BTB555 second hand, gonna go and try it this week I suppose. Anyone has anything to say about this model or Ibanez basses in general?

DeathFog

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:30 pm 

I own an Ibanez bass (SRX-300), and I am quite satisfied with it. The main problem it had was string buzzing. Finally the neck deformed so it almost became unplayable. I gave to the man who makes custom guitar, he fixed the problem and evened up the frets, so now I play at a very low action and there is no buzzing at all. All in all Ibanez's low end stuff is around the best for its price. But you should keep in mind that low end stuff is bound to have some minor defects. You will realize it only with time, when you will get used to the instrument.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:39 pm 

Anyone have any experience with the SR505's? I really love the neck on it. I'm thinking about getting one with some Christmas money and whatnot...

morbid1_
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:09 am 

Hail Steve Digiorgio

I'll take your wenches, Tie them on benches, Feed them to a rat, 'cause I'm the Witchfinder General

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:07 pm 

SCMugen wrote:
I'm thinking about buying an Ibanez BTB555 second hand, gonna go and try it this week I suppose. Anyone has anything to say about this model or Ibanez basses in general?

I considered one of them but just as well I didn't stretch for one, didn't get much for my old bass and am nearly skint as a result.

Atramentous
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:45 pm 

Exkretor wrote:
Here's a section for bass players. Whatever.

To start the thread off: what is your opinion on the use of fretless bass in metal? I myself own one and have been playing bass for 14 years, and I've had the fretless for 3 years.

I tested a fretless bass out a week ago, I liked it... may even get one

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:41 am 

Has anyone ever seen a Rickenbacker with a whammy bar?

kvntwvlf
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:14 am 

I was reading people bitching about using picks in the beginning of this thread; I don't see a point in using one anymore as I can get much more speed by backpicking using my index finger, and/or thumb. Are there any other ways to I guess..."pick faster" that I should know about?

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:02 pm 

If by "Backpicking" you mean hitting with the back of your nail after plucking the string, then I can't think of one.
I thought that was some sort of Flamenco-style picking :scratch:

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:30 pm 

kvntwvlf wrote:
I was reading people bitching about using picks in the beginning of this thread; I don't see a point in using one anymore as I can get much more speed by backpicking using my index finger, and/or thumb. Are there any other ways to I guess..."pick faster" that I should know about?

superglue a pick... onto your finger

Raki
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:47 pm 

Hi guys

I'm playing bass since three months now and i'm practicing playing songs like rage against the machine and some finntroll stuff (which is quite easy ;) )

i'm thinking about buying a good bass (at the moment i own a cheap mansion bass which i got from my brother, the sound is pretty crappy).

mainly i want to play some pagan/black and death stuff (yeah i know that death is a little bit different to play like playing pagan^^), so it would be great if anyone of you could recommend a good bass for these styles.

i was thinking about a esp oder dean bass (first i wanted a b.c. rich warlock but then i heard about how crappy they would be).

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:42 am 

If i were you i would go for an Ibanez SRX 395!!

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:23 am 

I had a BC RICH that sounded pretty good but I think it was the EMG pickups that came with it.

Deaths_Hand
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:03 pm 

Raki wrote:
Hi guys

I'm playing bass since three months now and i'm practicing playing songs like rage against the machine and some finntroll stuff (which is quite easy ;) )

i'm thinking about buying a good bass (at the moment i own a cheap mansion bass which i got from my brother, the sound is pretty crappy).

mainly i want to play some pagan/black and death stuff (yeah i know that death is a little bit different to play like playing pagan^^), so it would be great if anyone of you could recommend a good bass for these styles.

i was thinking about a esp oder dean bass (first i wanted a b.c. rich warlock but then i heard about how crappy they would be).

Just get a good action bass, esp is good, Ibanez and Cort are the best ( in my experience ) for low price and reliability.

crossroads
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:34 am 

Wow, this board made me go back and practise bass again after almost a year; though metal is one of my favourite genres of music, I never actually thought of playing it, believe it or not...

Anyway, before my hiatus, I played bass for about 2 years, mainly at high school for prac pieces and the occasional gig. Own a p bass, first one I bought, nothing special, but it does the job.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:01 am 

It's not called bass, its called beginner guitar! ha, stick to root notes guys!

RodrEvil
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:06 pm 

I'm a bass player, fingerstyle of course, 4 strings. My fav bassist are Frank Bello, Eric Langlois, Geddy Lee, Les Claypool and Timi Hansen.

Cheers :headbang:

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:05 am 

RodrEvil wrote:
I'm a bass player, fingerstyle of course, 4 strings. My fav bassist are Frank Bello, Eric Langlois, Geddy Lee, Les Claypool and Timi Hansen.

Cheers :headbang:

Les Claypool is my freakin' hero; he is so fuckin' crazy.

Deaths_Hand
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:01 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
It's not called bass, its called beginner guitar! ha, stick to root notes guys!

Not that I care, but I'd rather stick to playing root notes than be subjected to guitar wankery.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:20 pm 

What about bass wankery?

demiphoenix
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:17 pm 

i'm planing on splurging soon

what's a good starter bass/amp setup?

i'm more into the bass for actual recording than to become the world's greatest bass shredder
i do all the generic metulz

PriestofSadWings
Bishop of Dark Spaces

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:50 pm 

Masked_Jackal wrote:
What about bass wankery?

Bass wankery is awesome. All I really have to say is Geezer Butler.

untold
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:21 pm 

I love the bass part at the end of Behind the Wall of Sleep.

Deaths_Hand
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:22 am 

Masked_Jackal wrote:
What about bass wankery?

lol thats an exception, bass wankery gives me a boner.

demiphoenix wrote:
i'm planing on splurging soon

what's a good starter bass/amp setup?

i'm more into the bass for actual recording than to become the world's greatest bass shredder
i do all the generic metulz

Well, I guess thats a good reason for shredding ( by that, Im assuming you use a pick ) if you are just using it to record foundation. Aside from that I find fingers to be more challenging ( and better pitch ).

I have a simple set up, kustom amp....cort action bass. Still need to get some recording gear, Vox amps are also great for bass. The cheapness/old school overdrive are must haves :P Some might disagree with me though.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:12 am 

Well, looking around on the net, I've found these two packages.
http://www.bmusic.com.au/prod3278.htm
http://www.bmusic.com.au/prod4721.htm

My question to you guys, what would you consider to be the best? I'm only starting so I want to get something that will last me a while. Best for money (prices are on the pages), etc. Thanks for helping in advance. :)

LucidInterval
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:31 am 

Atramentous wrote:
Exkretor wrote:

To start the thread off: what is your opinion on the use of fretless bass in metal? I myself own one and have been playing bass for 14 years, and I've had the fretless for 3 years.

I have a 4-string and a 6-string. I have been wanting to try a fretless for a long time now. My next one may be a fretless, but is there a way to remove the frets or can you take it to a shop and have them removed?

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:36 am 

LucidInterval wrote:
Atramentous wrote:
Exkretor wrote:

I have a 4-string and a 6-string. I have been wanting to try a fretless for a long time now. My next one may be a fretless, but is there a way to remove the frets or can you take it to a shop and have them removed?
You can do either, but taking it to a shop is pretty expensive (most of the time) and doing it yourself can lead to problems if you don't know what the hell you're doing.

I've been wanting to defret my old 4-string Ibanez since I don't use it anymore just for the hell of it and I don't really care if I damage it or not. There are a bunch of sites that have instructions on how to do it yourself, but again, if you don't know exactly what you're doing then you might fuck up your bass.

DiamondHead656
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:44 pm 

Bezerko wrote:

My question to you guys, what would you consider to be the best? I'm only starting so I want to get something that will last me a while. Best for money (prices are on the pages), etc. Thanks for helping in advance. :)

I haven't played either of those specific models but i would have to say go with the Washburn, have played them in the past and they have proven to be good. Also i would reccomend going to a music shop near you and trying out some of the basses their and see what fits you.

Necrovore666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:01 pm 

I'm looking at getting a fretless RIC 4003 bass in the near future and keen as hell to get one! Would like to get an acoustic fretless as well! I've always used a pic, but have been trying to play with the fingers more and more as of late. Defiantly get a different sound from both!

My gear:

Ampeg SVT3-PRO Head (450 Watts @ 4 Ohms)
Ampeg SVT410HLF Cab (4 Ohms)
Ashdown Bass Overdrive (Gettin a Sansamp DI)

Basses:

Rickenbacker 4003 MG '01
Rickenbacker 4003 GG '07
Ibanez Iceman EX '07 (Installed 2 x EMG 35DC active P/U)

I just recently sold my Ric 4001 FG '74. I have on order a Rickenbacker 4003 MID, but I'm on a 2 year waiting list. Back in the early days I had a really shit bass and gear...

Last edited by Necrovore666 on Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:26 am 

DiamondHead656 wrote:
Bezerko wrote:

I haven't played either of those specific models but i would have to say go with the Washburn, have played them in the past and they have proven to be good. Also i would reccomend going to a music shop near you and trying out some of the basses their and see what fits you.

Did that yesterday. Went with neither of those ones! They had one about $100 (aus) cheaper, that played well and felt good. They guy said that it's a good bass for the price and not to dissimilar in quality to the ESP or Washburn. I'm happy!

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:40 am 

Greetings to all the other bassists out here :)

To start if off, here's my gear ...

Warwick Sweet 15.2 Combo (150W)
Boss ME-50b (multi effects pedal - thing)
Some random (and by random I mean the suckiest thing you can imagine) beginners bass.

Gonna buy a new bass pretty soon because the one I have now sucks so much ass that it's extremely difficult to notice if I'm actually playing the right notes (yeah, I know, I think they tried to make the crappiest bass ever). Luckily I have a compressor and an awesome combo to my aid, so I can at least get a half-decent sound.
Anyway, I've been thinking about the 300€ - 500€ price range (nothing too expensive). First thing I came up with is the ESP LTD F-104, what do you guys think about this bass ? Any experience with ESP in general ?
I'd appreciate some other suggestions.

Btw, I finally nailed the first part of Anesthesia. Took me like a whole week (but then again I haven't been playing for that long). Hooray for me!

Necrovore666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:24 pm 

DGYDP wrote:
Greetings to all the other bassists out here :)

To start if off, here's my gear ...

Warwick Sweet 15.2 Combo (150W)
Boss ME-50b (multi effects pedal - thing)
Some random (and by random I mean the suckiest thing you can imagine) beginners bass.

Gonna buy a new bass pretty soon because the one I have now sucks so much ass that it's extremely difficult to notice if I'm actually playing the right notes (yeah, I know, I think they tried to make the crappiest bass ever). Luckily I have a compressor and an awesome combo to my aid, so I can at least get a half-decent sound.
Anyway, I've been thinking about the 300€ - 500€ price range (nothing too expensive). First thing I came up with is the ESP LTD F-104, what do you guys think about this bass ? Any experience with ESP in general ?
I'd appreciate some other suggestions.

Btw, I finally nailed the first part of Anesthesia. Took me like a whole week (but then again I haven't been playing for that long). Hooray for me!

You could get an Ibanez Iceman EX for about 600€. Brilliant bass in looks, and most importantly playability and sound!! I replaced the stock standard P/U with 2 EMG 35DC active P/U and the thing sounds fucking wicked!! The neck is pretty quick, but the only thing I don't like is that it's a longer scale bass. I prefer my RICs as they are shorter scale basses and I tend to use them far more.

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:48 am 

Yeah I've been thinking about the Iceman, but I'm not sure if I want to spend 600€ of my first real bass ... I'll try finding it secondhand though.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 51  Next