Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ADreamOfWolves
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:46 pm 

Looking to start a musical project of mine real soon, but don't have the money to buy all the instruments and equipment right now. That leaves me with my only option being to use a DAW (digital audio workstation) to make my music for right now. The only one I'm familiar with is FL Studio. But, just not sure if that's a good one to use if I'm interested in making black metal. Could anyone give me some tips on what one should I use if I'm looking to write some black funeral doom metal for my band? Thanks!

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:04 am 

So you basically want to know about drum VSTs, guitar/bass VSTs?

Or do you at least play guitar?

DAWs are not genre specific.

Syntek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:17 am 

Out of all the DAWs, FL studio is definitely the one least suited to recorded music (as opposed to MIDI-programmed synthesised music).
Try Reaper (since it's free) or Cubase, they're straightforward enough to get to grips with.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:53 pm 

Reaper is NOT free! Why do people keep saying that? This lie is all over the internet and it never seems to end!

I bought it a few weeks ago. Because it's NOT FREE.

(I'm a long time Cubase user mainly, but I installed a couple of other DAWs incl Reaper as alternatives in case I need to use them some day)

ADreamOfWolves
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:59 pm 

Rocka_Rollas wrote:
So you basically want to know about drum VSTs, guitar/bass VSTs?

Or do you at least play guitar?

DAWs are not genre specific.

I currently only own a keyboard. So, I would use the DAW for all instruments basically.

I looked up a video on YouTube and the person recommended Reaper and Cubase the most for black metal as well. So, looks like Reaper will be the next DAW I try out. I tried a free trial of FL Studio and it was far too complicated for me. So, hopefully Reaper and Cubase will be simpler and easier to understand.

lithraea
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:20 pm 

Think in terms of VST's rather than DAW's.
Hopefully you won't stop wanting to buy a real guitar, though. There are really cheap ones; you could save little money on a monthly basis to get one.
Anyway, have fun.

Syntek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:11 am 

Rocka_Rollas wrote:
Reaper is NOT free! Why do people keep saying that? This lie is all over the internet and it never seems to end!

I bought it a few weeks ago. Because it's NOT FREE.

(I'm a long time Cubase user mainly, but I installed a couple of other DAWs incl Reaper as alternatives in case I need to use them some day)

Eh, personally I don't differentiate between "free" and "complete software with indefinite trial period".
But it's very good and quite cheap ($60) so I recommend buying to get rid of the annoying title screen.

Reply to topic