Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sveino1000
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:03 am 

Hello. I play mostly BM and im still practicing techniques. Im just wondering if it is very important to be able to play difficult techniques such as in Mayhem and Satyricon or if it is good enough as long as you can play stuff like Darkthrone, old Gorgoroth etc.
Personally i feel like it is enough if im able to play like Darkthtrone but it i feel like a big pressure to be much more advanced like Mayhem and other bands.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:00 am 

There's plenty of demand for drummers, who play simpler stuff really well. Whatever level you're playing at, as long as you can deliver consistently, you'll be wanted as a drummer. You shouldn't worry about what level you need to reach ultimately. Just play stuff that you enjoy, and if you're motivated by challenges, you will naturally end up getting more and more advanced. It might take some time, though, but don't worry, drummers of all levels are sought for.

BuriedUnborn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:53 pm 

I'm not a drumming expert, I used to play drums but I forgot pretty much everything, but there are some things that are to be known and constantly improved in order to play black metal as the ole' nord gods demand.

So, BM is very simple when it comes to drums. The slower, more Bathory-ish songs will usually use simple drum beats not too different from the most common ones that you see used in heavy metal and hard rock, while the more agressive, classic norwegian black metal, usually uses hardcore beats that don't change much throughout the songs. One of the most common black metal beats you can find goes HH/K - Snare - HH/K - Snare, just like any NYC hardcore song. There are variations for this, obviously, like HH/K - Snare HH/K - Kick - Snare, or the first one but with a constant double kick.

The important thing about black metal is being able to maintain the tempo of the song, not much else. BM doesn't require much technique, nor making some crazy Mike Portnoy-style shit, it's just kicking that bass drum and hitting that snare and that hit hat without falling out of tempo. The best way to practice this is with a metronome, start with an speed that you feel comfortable and every like 5 to 10 minutes increase it by 5 or 10 BPM, or as many as you want. You should do this in a daily basis until you can play flawlessly at fast tempos (like 180 BPM and so). Another thing that really fucks you up when you are trying to play a fast genre like BM is fatigue, unless you constantly practice and do exercise, you'll easily get fatigue from playing at high speeds, it was one of the things that I hated the most back when I played drums. Walking some kilometers, lifting weights and pracitcing daily should eventually reduce how much you get fatigued when playing drums. Look at a guy like Frost. He plays all the 1349 and Satyricon sets without a problem, mainly because he's been practicing for so many years that at this point his muscles are so accostumed to this kind of labor that they no longer get tired.

Well, I'm pretty sure I've told you some very basic stuff, but it might have helped. The only actual way to improve as a musician is practicing, every single day, practice one thing until you master it and then move onto another one, the more you practice, the better your muscular memory gets, and at some point you'll become a great drummer, there's not much logic behind it.

And to just answer your question, it's ok to know how to play what YOU want to play. If you want to play in something like a progressive black metal band then you'll probably have to learn how to play the most technical stuff, but if you are just interested in the raw and agressive BM, those common beats will be enough.

Moshing: Dancing like a madman, perpetrating a frantic and violent dance which consists in jumping and whipping your body against other brainless idiots until you enter an irrational and brutal pyramid of pleasure.

Reply to topic