Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Mykman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:30 am 

Hi All !

This is my first post on this great forum and my first topic is how can I achieve the infamous Swedish Chainsaw tone on a budget.
I started this whole thing half a year ago so I don`t know too much about anything guitar related so I would like to get some advice from you guys/galls !

I have a Bc Rich asm-1 humbucker guitar + HM300 + vox I/o interface. And I am using the Bias FX amps on a PC. With this setup I have got enormous amount of white noise on top of my tone and I don`t like it. The amp setup is theoretically have been made for the HM-2 , but it is horrible. I have to say I don`t like this virtual amps mainly because the delay and the quality. I need to buy a lunchbox amp with proper cab sim but I don`t know which one should I choose. I live in a flat + my music is not so popular to my family members :) so I need one what is can be use with a headphone and it is SUPER CHEAP. I just learning how to play and don`t have money for a JCM800 or Valvestate. I have tried the Orange micro dark+hm300 in my local GC but I wasn`t got the TONE.

Any ideas suggestions are wellcome !
Cheers
Mykman

dontrushurshot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:51 pm 

You aren't going to get an old school sound running anything (especially a buzzsaw pedal) direct through an interface, with digital amp sims on your DAW. I think Entombed recorded Left Hand Path with an HM-2 through a cranked Peavey Bandit, which is cheaper since it's a small combo amp (so it probably also has a headphone jack you can use). Find an older model of the bandit or similar amp if you can. When recording, use a microphone on the speaker when your family isn't home.

Mykman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:21 am 

Hi dontrushurshot ,

I have bought recently a used marshall code 25 amp for a bargain, and it is sounds amazing with my hm300 pedal with a clean preset. Thanks for the reply !
I have fed up with the digital amps , they are sounds ok in paper but this big latency is really annoying.

Cheers
Mykman

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:03 am 

Entombed did do that, but they switched to a Peavey Classic later on, from what I recall. A believe any transistor amp can emulate it close enough. I didn't have that much success doing it with a Peavey 6505 though.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:00 am 

That trademark Entombed sound is incredibly easy to get - plug an HM-2 into literally any practice combo amp and voila.
You can record directly into a DAW with minimal filters etc and it'll sound pretty close. I don't think early Entombed/Dismember really fiddled around too much to get the sound. It's basically straight out of the box. I haven't come across any multieffects pedals that can recreate it, though - gotta get the actual pedal. They're only $100 or so if you shop around.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:12 am 

I know that the upcoming album of Anders Biazzi's new band Gods Forsaken, uses the Behringer HM300. It's almost identical to the HM-2, only cheaper, pink and plastic, but unless you use it live and kick it around, it shouldn't make much difference.

VaultOfSlime
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:01 pm 

We recorded our whole debut album with an hm300 running into an interface and amp sims. PM me if you want help/advice. https://boethiah.bandcamp.com/album/inv ... e-xenolith

Bob_Deth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:14 am 

That recording sounds great BTW ^

The Boethiah one.

Ebheron
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:14 am 

Ah yes the "Left Hand Path" tone you are looking for, CSguitars did a nice couple of videos regarding the pedal:
https://youtu.be/bf6cON4oN4s
https://youtu.be/tq00d2nr5XY

As for the interface + ampsim combo it can get a bit dodgy, it is entirely possible to achieve a good tone but it takes some fidgeting around and regarding the latency you might want to take a look into the buffer size settings of the DAW you are using to record or the interface itself might be at fault.

So my suggestion is to either: get a better interface like a Focusrite Scarlett to minimize the latency issues and poke around a little more with the Bias FX or take a look into Thomann for some cheap gear, if you want something brand new and functional you can look into the Joyo stuff and the Harley Benton Cabs, however, i am not sure how they will sound coupled with the HM-300 pedal.

Also keep in mind the "Swedish Chainsaw" doesn't sound super good on its own, It sounds all right but for me it really works better in a full mix rather than in a bedroom situation.

Anyways best of luck and happy shredding!

Mykman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:40 pm 

Thanks Ebheron !
Really usefull videos !

Cheers
Mykman

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:22 pm 

everyone who said an emulator will work is absolutely incorrect. play what you got through any cheap 112 cab and you are set. mic it up and go from there. literally everyone telling you otherwise and to use amp sims is wrong and it won't sound the same.

Ebheron
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:16 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
everyone who said an emulator will work is absolutely incorrect. play what you got through any cheap 112 cab and you are set. mic it up and go from there. literally everyone telling you otherwise and to use amp sims is wrong and it won't sound the same.

It isn't about sounding the same, but about getting an usable tone, it can be done with ampsims, however, it has the downside of ampsims being unreliable and having low fidelity. Analog does sound way better but it has the downside of being more expensive and the entire mic setup required.

Both methods aren't wrong they are totally valid, I do agree tho that analog is the way to go for a more genuine tone, but it all depends on your budget and the space you have available.
Another method to look into is a hybrid system, I use a Peavey 6505 through a power soak and then straight into the interface utilizing Amp Cabinets IRs. That way you can use 100w amps in bedroom recording situations no problem, however, it can get quite expensive down the line.

Cynical
Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:57 pm 

A modeller won't do the chainsaw at all, SLK is right. Hitting a solid-state input stage with a too-big signal to get that square wave chop is a critical part of the sound.

That said, a 1x12 cab isn't a necessity IME; I had no problems getting it through a solid state head + 4x12 cab. Mic it close and a bit further off-center than you think you need to.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:07 pm 

Cynical wrote:
A modeller won't do the chainsaw at all, SLK is right. Hitting a solid-state input stage with a too-big signal to get that square wave chop is a critical part of the sound.

There are several that do exactly that.

Mykman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:18 am 

If anyone have marshall code , here is a pretty cool preset : https://marshallcode.tools/patch/1868-p ... -tone.html
It works well for Black metal , at least for me :)

Reply to topic