Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TrachomaSlayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:14 pm 

I'm looking to invest about $250-$500 on a brand new amp, and I'm looking for suggestions. Basically, I'd really want to get something that I could upgrade over time. Something that I can play right now and have it be serviceable, but that won't be useless to me five years down the road. I've been thinking that buying a head and a cab might be the way to go since it seems easier to upgrade, but maybe it would be better to get one really good combo amp rather than a subpar head and subpar cab. For context on what sort of metal I'll be playing, I really like playing dirtier thrash like Kreator and Sodom, but also older power metal like Manilla Road and older Blind Guardian.

Anyway, I'm a total novice when it comes to this stuff so I would very much appreciate any tips. Thanks in advance!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:59 am 

Buying a shite cab is a waste of money and time. You would certainly save money now by buying a combo. If it's a good enough amp, you can upgrade it by buying a cab, and running it through that instead of (or together with) the combo speaker. I reckon you can get a very good combo with a 12" speaker for $500 used, with enough power for small shows.

Peavey gear seems to be the best value in USA - if it were Europe, I'd probably recommend looking for a used Engl Screamer combo or something. Peavey makes 1x12" combo versions of 6505 and Triple XXX, and they're probably very affordable used.

TrachomaSlayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:48 am 

Thanks Ilwhyan! Peavey is actually the brand I've mostly been looking into, because it has just the right tones I've been wanting. I can't believe I didn't think of buying a good combo now and a cab for it later on down the road, that seems like sound advice too. I guess my next question is are there certain combos that are better for playing through a cab?

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:37 pm 

Either the 6505 or XXX combo would be great choices. Any combo that has the ability to be plugged into a cab is your best bet. Down the road you can get a nice 2x12 or 4x12 to plug into, and then save for a good head. Among those two the 6505 is probably the better choice for your playing, it's probably a bit more flexible and could handle old-school power metal a bit better. However, neither is a bad choice, and the XXX can probably be found cheaper.

TrachomaSlayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:29 pm 

Thanks for confirming that the 6505 would be a good choice trashinbatman. After some research I've managed to find a used one that's well-priced and a couple hours of driving away, so unless I find something closer I'll probably be doing a road-trip to go check it out. The amp I found is 350, the same price as a new Boss Katana so I might use that to compare it with. I know there is a big solid-state vs tube amp debate so it'll be fun to see how the tones stack up. With any luck the store will also have some new peavey 6505's to compare it with. Oh yeah, and the peavey xxx's used were like four states away from me, and I'd really prefer to be able to try these out in person.

Cynical
Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:22 pm 

It's worth nothing that the 5150/6505 combos are actually based on the 5150 II, which is a bit tighter but less mean sounding than the 5150/6505 sound that you're probably used to.

You could still do a lot worse than a used 5150 combo, although you'd probably be better off waiting until you can afford a head + good 4x12. The speakers in those 5150 combos are trash.

TrachomaSlayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:12 am 

Thanks cynical, I didn't know the sound of the new combos were based on the 5150 II I'll have to keep that in mind.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:51 pm 

Sarguer's advice is good. The 6505 is a great amp, and buying used is the only viable option in that price range.

If you come across one, the Peavey Special 212 combo is the best solid state amp there is, and it can power a 4x12 cabinet in addition to the two speakers in it. It sounds vicious when dialed in right.

TrachomaSlayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:13 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
If you come across one, the Peavey Special 212 combo is the best solid state amp there is, and it can power a 4x12 cabinet in addition to the two speakers in it. It sounds vicious when dialed in right.

That actually sounds really interesting. I've kind of been thinking that solid state might be the way to go, because they're cheaper and more reliable, or so I've heard.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:21 am 

Solid-state is definitely more reliable. Valves can blow very suddenly, and if you blow a poweramp valve, you have to replace the whole set. On a 100w machine, that can set you back by a ton. Replacing preamp valves is cheaper, much easier, and they tend to last longer, but if you're a total gainhead, you'll end up doing that eventually, as well.

Poweramp valves blow more frequently, and when they do, your amp becomes unusable until they've been replaced. They can go without warning. Anyone can replace preamp valves without hassle, but when it comes to the poweramp, you need to set the bias, so you need some tools, and some clue as to what you're doing. Taking it to a tech will cost a bit. It's a quick routine operation for a tech, so it won't be too expensive, but it is a hassle to take it there.

That said, I've only had to replace valves maybe once every three or four years per amp. I got a used Marshall JVM from 2007 in 2015, and it had the original preamp valves in. I have a Powerball, which I bought used a bit over a year ago, and it's a couple of years old by the looks of it, and it has all original valves. My Screamer combo, which has been used about once a week at very loud settings, has had the same valves for about 5 years, I think, and it's still not starting to go. Only my Blackstar practice combo has blown a valve every year I've owned it - I think there might be something wrong with it.

Still, the tone you can get from a good valve amp is worth all of it. If you like the sound of a solid-state amp, go for it, but personally, I've never played a single one that had a good overdrive sound.

Reply to topic