Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:50 am 

GainzGawd wrote:
I don't want to go into full details as to not diminish his legacy to you guys that were his friendship outlet. But it wasn't heart issues, it was still an untimely death that shouldn't have happened. That's the thing about the internet, you don't see the whole picture of someone's life.

Thus why I ask in his memory you make sure you cherish every friendship, and thus who seem like something is off you check on. Things aren't that clear behind a blurry photo or a photo without a clear face shot :(

If the details are better kept hidden then by all means keep them hidden. I don't believe, however, that you or anyone can possibly diminish his legacy here. I've been mostly a lurker on this site and it took me years of observing to realize that his work ethic and overall attitude deserve nothing but praise. I guess I'm not the only one who got offended in my first interactions with him, without realizing that he had the best of intentions and that he was one of the very few people who always chose to give advice when others chose to ignore. I just hope he's now found the peace he rightfully deserves.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:02 am 

that diamhea struggled with some things in life were actually known to more than a couple of us

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:50 pm 

I've avoided posting in this thread. That's partly because it hurts to talk about someone who has died that I would chat with daily, and also partly because I don't really know what to say. We shared a lot of things in common, not least our interest in bodybuilding, metal, video games... to just name a few. He looked up to me in a way, and I looked up to him, too, and now he is gone and I am not ready to accept that he won't come back. There hasn't been a day that's gone by this week that I haven't thought about him.

Many of us were aware of his struggles in life and his vices. There's only so much you can do behind a computer to convince your friends to make healthier life choices, and knowing that it was a vice that likely contributed to his death doesn't make it easier to accept. I really wish I had gotten to meet him. I had always promised that I would, and that we would hit the gym and hang out. But now such wishes are horses.

In the last couple years, his biggest priority in life became his mom. He wanted to make sure she survived and thrived, and I sure hope she does. I think he would want to be remembered for this, and for the reviews he's written, the stuff he did, the advice he gave, the work he put into his physique, and the knowledge and skills he had with his many hobbies. He had no problem accepting and defending his vices, but I don't think he'd want his legacy to be viewed as some sad addict. He meant much more to us than that.

I'm gonna miss the man. I already miss him.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:41 pm 

He may have seemed a bit standoffish at first, but I’ll admit that I am too, until I get to know someone. We eventually bonded over reviewing and he eventually joined up with TMO for a stretch as well. It’s sad that he’s gone, but his work here and his reviews will be here as long as we have this site. Cheers, my friend, you are missed.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 2:14 pm 

Even though he was young enough to be one of my kids, I truly looked up to him. His dedication to this site and his work ethic was beyond reproach. It is still strange and sad that he will not be returning. I will probably always think of him each time I post a review. I've known a lot of people just online and their passing had not had this much of an effect on me. He may have had some issues and some vices, but his character is beyond reproach.

Cattle die, kinsmen die;
the self must also die.
I know one thing which never dies:
the reputation of each dead man.

GainzGawd
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:19 pm 

I don't know why but it just came to me when I made the GoFundMe to google this site where I seen he had in his FB profile. IN his honor even though we went 1 grand don't stop donating to his mom so we keep his life mission going. I don't know how I'm going to do it but I'm going to find a way to make an impact in his honor on the crisis. The thing about being an addict is there's nothing wrong it, everyone is weak for something. Me it's alcohol and vicodin which is why I'm sad I never got the reconnection with him so I could work with him :(

I'm not exactly saying what his thing was... but its always best to be honest about yourself when making any mention of anyone.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:35 pm 

I have lost many friends to that stuff. The drug doesn't change the fact that they were good people. It is literally a vice, it grasps on tight and does not let go.

GainzGawd
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:22 am 

I want to figure this out, it sucks because he probably never thought I gave another of a care to be this in-depth. I don't know anything about your guys music honestly, the only thing we share is Dia.

Last edited by GainzGawd on Tue May 29, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:19 pm 

Hmm... this sucks. He was one of the few users here that I remember, simply because he also posted on Doomworld forums and his signature quote is one of the funniest things I ever read.

Well, R.I.P

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:42 pm 

RIP Diamhea. May the next destination be better for you.

Condolences to his family and friends.

~Guest 277521
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:36 pm 

I didn't see this before today... I'm really saddened by this. I've been on this site for a long time and although I never really had contact with Dia, I always read what he wrote. 31 is just really too young. R.I.P. Dia, and I hope someone will be able to take care and help his mom.

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:03 pm 

Rest in peace, man.
He was one of the best metalarchivers.

Inicalsio2
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:23 pm 

Man, i just joined this site, too. damn R.I.P. man

capeda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:41 pm 

RIP. One of the better contributors on this site.

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:37 pm 

RIP. A true facet of MA. I read so many of his reviews and posts over the years.

GainzGawd
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:09 am 

Before I forget and fade back away...

In the past 8 days I asked you guys to help his mother and you delivered. Norma doesn't want to raise the goal but honestly if you are able and feel like it, please help to contribute. I guess the best way to say this is, I am the branch between Dia prior and Dia that was here. I don't know the best way to phrase it but you guys have been absolute pimps. 2010 Dia who used rap music on his sound system in his camaro but loved metal when he wasn't trying to impress girls would understand that.

I also want to thank you guys for taking care of my brother when we fell apart. I'm not perfect, Dia wasn't perfect none of us are.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:15 am 

Jesus. He was so young.

Fitting, I suppose, that right before seeing this thread, I was greeted with a notification from Dia to revisit an old report I was sitting on.

R.I.P.

KayTeeBee
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:19 am 

RIP to a fellow Ottawa resident. Thanks for your many contributions to this site. It's nice to see people coming together to pay their respects without the usual BS that comes (online) when someone passes.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:25 pm 

Damn man, this sucks. Awful news. Nothing but respect for a man whose passion for this site was incredible. I had the honor of exchanging a few messages with him, always nice and friendly. 31 years... I simply cannot believe it. Deep condolences from me, who, like a lot of other users on here, miss him without (unfortunately) knowing personally him. That's the demonstration of the legacy he left on here.

Until we meet again... or for the first time, Chris. Rest in Peace. :cry:

It's the dawn of descending...

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:08 pm 

KayTeeBee wrote:
RIP to a fellow Ottawa resident.

You appear to be confusing Diamhea with Derigin, dude. ;) Diamhea was from Detroit.

(Also, welcome back. Haven't seen you around in a while.)

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:41 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
KayTeeBee wrote:

You appear to be confusing Diamhea with Derigin, dude. ;) Diamhea was from Detroit.

Actually, I used to confuse both users as well. Diamhea was a mod just like Derigin iirc, which meant getting a red username as well.

Awolf
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:29 pm 

We often disagree with bands/rules information, but we always understood each other in the end. I have always respected his dedication to attend to all equally and relentlessly, apart from the many doubts he elucidated to me over the years. It was our vocation in common for the keyboard.

Rest in peace, man, You will be sorely missed.

And thanks for everything.

Att
Antony Vinco (Awolf)

Pale_Pilgrim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:12 pm 

I've been a member here since 2009 and have read many of Diamhea's contributions to the site and forums; reviews, in particular, as I do love reading a good review. This is very sad news, indeed.

Rest in peace.

~Guest 375103
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:18 pm 

I remember having a discussion with Diamhea about my benzos and anxiety problems in the medication thread.
Otherwise, I did not know him well. RIP Diamhea. :(

Wombface
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:48 pm 

Very sad to hear about his passing. He seemed like a very good dude and his love for this website as well as the work he put in will never be forgotten. Rest in peace.

Last edited by Wombface on Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:45 pm 

This is unfortunate, way too young. I've enjoyed many of his reviews in the past.

Oiras
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:59 am 

I'm not someone who regularly posts here anymore, as anyone could probably tell, and only occasionally lurk time to time, so I'm afraid I cannot say I ever knew him well at all, other than as one of the team members, with a name that stood out to me as, I presume, an amusing alternate way of spelling diarrhea (if this somehow turns out to be wrong feel free to correct me). I also would see his name crop up when looking at reviews, though I couldn't say which ones specifically. I have been on the Discord, I don't recall either if I saw him there or not the brief time I was there. My memories of things are pretty bad, and though I may not know him, either personally or by his posts here, his was a name that always stood out to me. All that I gather, he was a cool guy. Just a year older than me and to succumb to health issues one shouldn't have to worry about at this age, is very sad.

I wish I could've known you better, or at all, while you were still around, R.I.P.

GainzGawd
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:09 pm 

Oiras wrote:
I'm not someone who regularly posts here anymore, as anyone could probably tell, and only occasionally lurk time to time, so I'm afraid I cannot say I ever knew him well at all, other than as one of the team members, with a name that stood out to me as, I presume, an amusing alternate way of spelling diarrhea (if this somehow turns out to be wrong feel free to correct me).

That's exactly why he choose that aim name lol Which then later turned into all of his online handles

KayTeeBee
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:05 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
KayTeeBee wrote:

Eesh! My bad. And thanks.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:29 pm 

GainzGawd wrote:
Oiras wrote:
I'm not someone who regularly posts here anymore, as anyone could probably tell, and only occasionally lurk time to time, so I'm afraid I cannot say I ever knew him well at all, other than as one of the team members, with a name that stood out to me as, I presume, an amusing alternate way of spelling diarrhea (if this somehow turns out to be wrong feel free to correct me).

That's exactly why he choose that aim name lol Which then later turned into all of his online handles

Dang I thought Diamhea was supposed to be like a demon's name or something. Y'know, since some of the other mods have demon names.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:21 am 

I never even spoke to the guy on this forum, but RIP and best wishes to his family and friends. Take care of yourselves people, you only get one chance. Let's make the most of it.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:56 pm 

RIP. Recognised his username as being the guy who handled two thirds of my reports, as many users would. I've been in the role of contributing madly to a music website and I only kept it up for about 2 years before getting a bit burnt out. That he could keep doing his thing here for so long says a lot about how great this community is.

Will be busting out Horrorscope soon for sure.

Metal81
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:39 pm 

Just seeing this. Terrible news. I respected his approach around here and will miss his contributions.

Addiction is a motherfucker. I made it out alive (barely) but know far too many that didn't.

If you are reading this and need help or just want to talk, PM me. I have significant experience with addiction recovery and would be happy to share my contact info, or meet and talk if you are in the NYC metro area.

PhantomGreen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:14 pm 

Awful Awful news. I'm 31 myself and know I still have so much to learn and room to grow....So awfully young for the dude and I hope at least the GoFundMe helps at least a little bit for the sake of his family. Terrible news. And my condolences to all of you here that were close to him.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:45 pm 

His legacy is great, and there is no shame in using drugs. He never hid it, but I thought it was under control. I guess we need to learn from this.

Sometimes physical pain keep you in a chair all day, sometimes mental pain keeps you there all day, and when you are so constrained by this, there is still a great sense of accomplishment when handling a tremendous amount of work on this site. We both spent days on end, stuck on a chair or couch, able to mentally get through it because we accomplished something on MA. I remember several consecutive 16 hour days spent entirely working on the band queue. He spent many more days like that than I did. At the hardest times in life, this place is here to give you something to take pride in, and a wonderful community where we have made friends who have helped us through a lot.

Chris had a tremendous work ethic, and for all the time he spent working on this site, he was incredibly dedicated to bodybuilding - anyone who has ever talked to him about it or has just seen a picture of him knows that he was dedicated to what he did. He had the same amazing work ethic on MA, and beyond that, he was kind and good-natured. We clashed many times on details of maintaining info on the site, while I could be hot-headed and arrogant at times, he was steadfast and calm in his demeanor. There were many reviews that I rudely rejected, and so many of those he would work with them, going back and forth to help them until their reviews were acceptable. Impressive both as a feat and a testament to his character.

It was great to have someone who could constantly tackle a greater workload than any of us, and it was incredible how he did it for years on end. It was a concern, though. This is the hard part.

Dedicating yourself to a tremendous amount of work here is often a distraction from difficult times in life. It has been on and off for me, from total immersion to inactivity to a healthy hobby. For Chris, the immersion was very deep and very continual, but he handled it well. It was also a cathartic escape from the tedium of life, and a constant intellectual stimulation to your brain that was both satisfying and a fairly wholesome activity - better than running away from your struggles or coping with drugs. Working on MA was both a way to stimulate oneself and a way to be productive in life. It is really an accomplishment in life, something that can't be said of MMOs and other time-consuming pastimes. I was always somewhat concerned when Diamhea seemed to be spending whole days on MA, but there was more to it. We connected about many parts of this. He spent a lot of time taking care of his mother, who was ill, and the way things fell seemed to offer them no mercy. Knowing those 16+ hour blocks in his edit history were punctuated a dozen times per day by cooking meals, running errands, and taking care of his mother (and of course going to the gym) just completes the picture. His heart was in the right place, even when it stopped working....

The timing was cruel - after years of spending all this time keeping the report queue under control and adding additional versions, in the last few weeks Stormy III has kept the queue under control, and we seem to have added the majority of additional versions. We pretty much achieved his goals, largely due to his work, and he even remarked how it felt weird to have these things under control. The timing was so cruel.

I feel like we should talk about mental health and how it is often under pressure when spending so much time working on this site, but I suppose the key to this is also just talking to your friends about life. I'm glad I did that with Chris so many times.

One last thing I'll address, since it was mentioned, is drug use. Diamhea never hid his penchant for drugs. It was on and off. He talked about it with friends. Talked about it many times before, including the difficult parts. It was another way of coping with the torments of life. Several of us close to him talked about it, and he hadn't brought it up since last year. One thought he had kicked any habits. Last he mentioned it to me was last year, coming off a heavy prescription. Drugs were definitely a factor in coping with life over the years, and his friends were aware of this. A few days before he passed, he told an injured friend to pray for Vicodin. I don't know if he was using as he had in the past, but he had not mentioned it as he usually had. There's no shame in drug use, it would be no surprise if that was a factor, but he had been dealing with the struggles of life without heavy drugs in recent times, as far as we know.

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:39 am 

As someone who has been on this site for years before I signed up, and read a lot more than I post, this is a shock, but such is the fragility of life. RIP man, we will honor your memory by keeping the metal underground alive

WR95
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:58 am 

tahu157 wrote:
Dang I thought Diamhea was supposed to be like a demon's name or something. Y'know, since some of the other mods have demon names.

I always thought that his nickname comes from "DIAMond HEAd". I realized that since I notice the BastardHead one, which is a mix between Motorhead and the Bastards album. However BH explained that so it didn't take me long to figure it out.

Death is a Gateway
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:17 pm 

So anybody know what happened? Drugs?

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:37 pm 

None of us really know. We know he was found unresponsive and not breathing. He probably went into cardiac arrest. None of us are family, and may respectfully never learn the cause as revealed through an autopsy - whether it was an overdose, or an underlying heart condition, a combination of the two, or something else entirely - but by every indication it was accidental.

Death is a Gateway
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:54 pm 

Well it's very unfortunate nevertheless.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next