Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/

The Official Review Discussion Thread
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7444
Page 3 of 323

Author:  GoD [ Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:52 pm ]
Post subject: 

I like Erik's ATG review.

Author:  GoD [ Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

DFL's Tidfall review was pretty funny.

I seem to be pioneering this thread at the moment, go me.

Author:  Egregius [ Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:57 pm ]
Post subject: 

That would be 'dominating'.

Author:  GoD [ Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:20 am ]
Post subject: 

One definition of 'pioneering' is to be 'leading the way'.

Author:  Egregius [ Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:13 pm ]
Post subject: 

That would be...never mind.

Just wrote a review for LoG's Ashes of the Wake. Checked the other reviews, and found that krozza had already written a very professional review.

Author:  Abominatrix [ Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:59 am ]
Post subject: 

Egregius wrote:
That would be...never mind.

Just wrote a review for LoG's Ashes of the Wake. Checked the other reviews, and found that krozza had already written a very professional review.


And I just accepted it. ;)

Krozza's reviews are excellent. Well structured and organized, pleasurable to read and good at letting you know what to expect, without ever going track by track. Good stuff. :D

Author:  stickyshooZ [ Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:58 am ]
Post subject: 

Whoa, when did Abominatrix become a mod? Congrats man!

Author:  Abominatrix [ Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:14 am ]
Post subject: 

stickyshooZ wrote:
Whoa, when did Abominatrix become a mod? Congrats man!


Hah I have been a Goderator since Saturday. SO pls gýves me ur woman ok thx loooooooll

Thanks. ;D

Author:  Abominatrix [ Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:06 pm ]
Post subject: 

All of Snow Vixen's reviews, I must point out, are excellent. She seems to have a fetish for writing negative reviews that are actually well thought out, descriptive and often quite amusing to read. She should write more!

Author:  OlympicSharpshooter [ Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:13 pm ]
Post subject: 

Requiem99's Farscape review, Demon Massacre. The last bit is so funny that I felt I had to e-mail him about it.

'The band was clearly going for an ‘80s thrash’ production, and they hit that nail dead on. Too bad the rest of their nails went toward crucifying this Brazilian thrash mockery upon the Hill of Shit Heavy Metal. Lets all hope it stays dead.'

I just about fell out of my chair.

Boris's legendary MoP review. Its funny, because our review scores are literally as far apart as possible, but I love reading the review. He takes everything I love about the album and pisses all over it, but it is written with such passion and force that I can't help but respect it.

Also, thanks to the two or three of you who gave me complements here. My stuff generally takes fer fucking ever to complete and I'm glad people read it. It does take a lot out of me, which is why I'm somewhat irregular.

Author:  Pyrus [ Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:43 pm ]
Post subject: 

OlympicSharpshooter wrote:
Boris's legendary MoP review. Its funny, because our review scores are literally as far apart as possible, but I love reading the review.
Hah, yeah, same here.

Author:  I MAKE SHITTY MUSIC [ Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

Abominatrix wrote:
All of Snow Vixen's reviews, I must point out, are excellent. She seems to have a fetish for writing negative reviews that are actually well thought out, descriptive and often quite amusing to read. She should write more!


I agree. I enjoy reading her reviews as well.

Author:  OlympicSharpshooter [ Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:51 pm ]
Post subject: 

Pyrus wrote:
OlympicSharpshooter wrote:
Boris's legendary MoP review. Its funny, because our review scores are literally as far apart as possible, but I love reading the review.
Hah, yeah, same here.


It remember seeing it and going 'WTF?!' because I'd read his old review (he gave it around 72) and then suddenly he was just spewing vitriol all over the place.

Author:  requiem99 [ Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:10 am ]
Post subject: 

I MAKE SHITTY MUSIC wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:
All of Snow Vixen's reviews, I must point out, are excellent. She seems to have a fetish for writing negative reviews that are actually well thought out, descriptive and often quite amusing to read. She should write more!


I agree. I enjoy reading her reviews as well.


Oh I like reading her reviews too, but not because they are funny, because SHE is. She's fucking stupid, and her opinions are a such a joke I always get a good laugh from reading them. She's one of those people that goes out of their way to like everything people hate and hate everything people like. Maybe its really Cynical in drag?

Author:  HisZvironistOverlord [ Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

Voice_of_Unreason's Terrifyer review was excellent.

Author:  Thamuz [ Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:48 am ]
Post subject: 

The_Ghost_of_Room237's review for Demoncy's 'Joined In Darkness'.

Author:  Arsenic [ Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

As much as I disagree with him BIG TIME, OlympicSharpshooter is a killer reviewer. Superbly written stuff.

Author:  Egregius [ Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:57 pm ]
Post subject: 

requiem99 wrote:
I MAKE SHITTY MUSIC wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:
All of Snow Vixen's reviews, I must point out, are excellent. She seems to have a fetish for writing negative reviews that are actually well thought out, descriptive and often quite amusing to read. She should write more!


I agree. I enjoy reading her reviews as well.


Oh I like reading her reviews too, but not because they are funny, because SHE is. She's fucking stupid, and her opinions are a such a joke I always get a good laugh from reading them. She's one of those people that goes out of their way to like everything people hate and hate everything people like. Maybe its really Cynical in drag?


Funny how some reviewers are so controversial. I like Snow Vixen's reviews a lot because I agree with them mostly. She just rubs some people the wrong way.

Author:  stickyshooZ [ Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:02 pm ]
Post subject: 

Olympicsharpshooter's Screaming For Vengeance review was quite funny at some parts. Especially the last sentence of the second to last paragraph.

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=439#5599

Author:  Pyrus [ Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:20 am ]
Post subject: 

I just accepted three very good reviews by Krozza. Check em out.

Author:  Cheeses_Priced [ Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:13 pm ]
Post subject: 

OlympicSharpshooter is one of the best, unfortunately the one time he reviews something I have more than a vague interest in it gets nuked before I can read it. :/

Author:  OlympicSharpshooter [ Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

Cheeses_Priced wrote:
OlympicSharpshooter is one of the best, unfortunately the one time he reviews something I have more than a vague interest in it gets nuked before I can read it. :/


Is that the The Ethereal review? I hated the record, so maybe it's good that it died so that you don't resent me. ;)

Author:  OlympicSharpshooter [ Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:32 pm ]
Post subject: 

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=3388#9229

I like 'favourite album ever' reviews, and I think maidenpriest does a fantastic one here. Certainly lets you about the album's contents, and more importantly, how the album makes him feel. Check it out. :)

Author:  Cheeses_Priced [ Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

OlympicSharpshooter wrote:
Is that the The Ethereal review? I hated the record, so maybe it's good that it died so that you don't resent me. ;)


Au contraire, I hate that band and probably enjoyed watching you criticize something a little more "my speed", particularly since a dissenting opinion is depesperately needed on many of these really awful underground doom releases...

Author:  OlympicSharpshooter [ Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

:D

Mayhap I'll give it a rewrite if I can stomach slogging through it again.

Author:  stickyshooZ [ Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:40 am ]
Post subject: 

I'm kind of proud of my Dismember - Death Metal review. Mainly because it was a new style of writing for me. If anyone cares to share their thoughts, I'd appreciate it:

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=702#9043

Author:  Byrgan [ Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:36 pm ]
Post subject: 

stickyshooZ wrote:
I'm kind of proud of my Dismember - Death Metal review. Mainly because it was a new style of writing for me. If anyone cares to share their thoughts, I'd appreciate it:

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=702#9043


I think it is a unique idea. But it went overboard with descriptions. At points I got confused with some of the metaphors. Maybe if you cut some paragraphs down and meshed only a few metaphors in there. You'll have an even better review. But that is just my opinion.

Give me your honest opinion on my 'Metal to food Metaphoric review' I did in August:

Murder Squad-Unsane...
http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=11438#12347

Author:  Thamuz [ Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

Sacrophobic's (GoD on the forums) review for Miasma's "Changes" was excellent. Some great description and some interesting metaphors were used. :thumbsup:

Author:  GoD [ Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:05 pm ]
Post subject: 

Cheers. I remember liking a few of your reviews, including one you did recently that I read the other day.

Author:  stickyshooZ [ Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

Sacraphobic's "With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness" review is pretty damn good. It makes me want to check that album out...

Author:  GoD [ Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

You know you're doing ok when the review of yours that you consider your worst gets praise. :)

Author:  Thamuz [ Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:16 pm ]
Post subject: 

GoD wrote:
Cheers. I remember liking a few of your reviews, including one you did recently that I read the other day.

Thanks, my friend. That must have been the Moevot one? (With the umlauts of course!)

Author:  Thamuz [ Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

That's actually a bit of a coincidence, I'm planning to buy that At The Gates album today.

Author:  stickyshooZ [ Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

GoD wrote:
You know you're doing ok when the review of yours that you consider your worst gets praise. :)

Heh. I have a lot that I consider shitty. I still need to go back and do some editing. Especially on my Leprosy and Sound of Perseverance reviews...

Author:  PseudoGoatKill [ Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

I need to edit my InFlames review big time.

Author:  KayTeeBee [ Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:57 pm ]
Post subject: 

PseudoGoatKill wrote:
I need to edit my InFlames review big time.


Noone's stopping you. ;)

Author:  PseudoGoatKill [ Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

Yeah I know, I'm a lazy fuck.

Anyways I like the reviews by droneriot. Specificly his Mayhem review. It describes the music without going too technical, but also gives it an interesting spin.

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=50127#16199

Author:  cyclone [ Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:01 pm ]
Post subject: 

I have to mention OlympicSharpShooter. I really enjoy reading his reviews.

Author:  OlympicSharpshooter [ Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:06 pm ]
Post subject: 

cyclone wrote:
I have to mention OlympicSharpShooter. I really enjoy reading his reviews.


Thanks a lot man, appreciate it. :)

Author:  Pyrus [ Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

Osmium's review for Protector's Golem is well worth reading. It makes me grit my teeth in rage because I completely disagree with his views on thrash metal in general ("Riff wankery"? AsgasaGw4aughanajekgnawaBLEARGH), but it's a very well-written review and definitely a unique perspective.

Asshole.

Page 3 of 323 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/