Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/

The Official Review Discussion Thread
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7444
Page 4 of 358

Author:  KayTeeBee [ Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

Droneriot should give titles to his reviews though.


HAHHAHAHA, I just read StickyshooZ' Dismember - Death Metal review....what a fucking hilarious review! :lol:

Author:  stickyshooZ [ Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:32 am ]
Post subject: 

Hehehe, thanks. ;)

Author:  GoD [ Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:50 am ]
Post subject: 

Gomorrah's Kataxu review is very good.

Author:  Helvete [ Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

Most of Ultra Boris´ reviews are very nice. He is allways talking about the riffs of the records (wheter they are thrashy or not) and if he says it´s a riff-o-rama I allways seem to like it.

Author:  Scarred_Soul [ Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:23 am ]
Post subject: 

Rocknevadies, Angra - Temple of Shadows review is very good to.

Author:  Pyrus [ Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:02 am ]
Post subject: 

Gabometal's Enemy of God review has the funniest, most random rant at the end I've ever read.

Author:  OlympicSharpshooter [ Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:12 pm ]
Post subject: 

Quote:
P.D: About backpacks, what a fucking useless and cock sucking trend. There’s no place for back packs in metal, that’s for gays and poseurs, have you ever seen Paul Baloff, Rob Halford, Tom Araya or another true metalhead using a backpack? No, because that’s for wussy Korn fans and say what you say but I know what heavy metal is about because I have breathed heavy metal since I was SIX YEARS OLD.


That's what he's referring to and it is fucking hilarious. :lol

Author:  Scarred_Soul [ Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:01 am ]
Post subject: 

I like Bloodstone's reviews. Long and informative :)

Author:  Bloodstone [ Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:50 am ]
Post subject: 

Scarred_Soul wrote:
I like Bloodstone's reviews. Long and informative :)


Thanks.:)

Though I must say that my old reviews (Primal Fear, Testament, Overkill) are pretty much shit, as the song-by-song section COMPLETELY dominate those.

I just woke up one day and realized those reviews blow almost all of the time...although I am amazed by how Boris can sometimes keep things interesting whenever he does it...check out his The Haunted - One Kill Wonder review, that's just a bloody work of art.

Author:  Diabolical_Vengeance [ Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:06 pm ]
Post subject: 

Abominatrix' Esoteric review is amazing and I like Boris' reviews as well.

Author:  Nightgaunt [ Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:30 pm ]
Post subject: 

Cheeses_Priced's new Arsis review is very well-done. Puts that piece of tripe in its place. I also like his Agalloch review from a couple of months ago, come to think of it.

Author:  requiem99 [ Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:13 pm ]
Post subject: 

HisZvironistOverlord wrote:
Cheers for the latest Satyricon - Volcano review. Jeers for this rusty tailgate.


I watched that episode this morning! LOL!

Author:  zealot1 [ Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:44 pm ]
Post subject: 

All of Thamuz's reviews are excellent. Always to the point, never digressing into either of the extremes(the atrocious "This fucking sucks" hate-tirades galore or the equally irrelevant "omg it's a masterpiece but I can't explain why" all-out worship nonsense) His descriptions of sound are elaborate and I'd say quite accurate. Well done, man. Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Author:  GoD [ Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:25 am ]
Post subject: 

Many thanks to crazpete for yet another lovely read this evening. Possibly the best reviewer on the site.

Author:  stickyshooZ [ Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:41 am ]
Post subject: 

GoD wrote:
Many thanks to crazpete for yet another lovely read this evening. Possibly the best reviewer on the site.

Which review?

Author:  GoD [ Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:52 pm ]
Post subject: 

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=15670#8197

It only just got accepted but it's from nearly a week ago so I'm not surprised if you couldn't find it.

Author:  crazpete [ Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:43 am ]
Post subject: 

GoD wrote:
Many thanks to crazpete for yet another lovely read this evening. Possibly the best reviewer on the site.

:shock: Wow. Many thanks, man. I can't agree with that statement but I appreciate the praise.

Author:  GoD [ Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:46 am ]
Post subject: 

I did say 'possibly'. ;) There are a few who do certain things better no doubt, but in terms of well-written, detailed musical description you definitely aren't far from the top, particularly with your more recent reviews. Keep up the good work.

Author:  OlympicSharpshooter [ Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:05 pm ]
Post subject: 

GoD wrote:
I did say 'possibly'. ;) There are a few who do certain things better no doubt, but in terms of well-written, detailed musical description you definitely aren't far from the top, particularly with your more recent reviews. Keep up the good work.


He's absolutely correct here. I can't say I read them as compulsively as say, swineeyedlamb's work, but that has more to do with how complex crazpete's reviews are. It can be nearly overwhelming. His reviews are as daunting as the music he's writing about, and that's a rare talent.

Author:  requiem99 [ Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:17 pm ]
Post subject: 

GoD wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=15670#8197

It only just got accepted but it's from nearly a week ago so I'm not surprised if you couldn't find it.


That review is very well written, but its nearly impossible to tell if you'd like the album from reading it. You almost have to read it multiple times to even know what he's talking about, and to me, that defeats the entire point of a review.

Author:  GoD [ Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:53 pm ]
Post subject: 

Read Thamuz's latest reviews!

Author:  Abominatrix [ Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:01 am ]
Post subject: 

GoD wrote:
Read Thamuz's latest reviews!


Agh damn, ya beat me to it. :P

Yes, Thamuz's two latest are superb. Interesting to see our different perspectives on the VBE album, too. I'm sorry I couldn't help him much with the Demigod one, but he didn't really need it.

Author:  Abominatrix [ Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:05 am ]
Post subject: 

Cheeses_priced is at it again. I think he is the best negative reviewer on the site, not only because his negativity is often very amusing, but because even though he clearly dislikes a work he takes the time to listen to it thoroughly, which is more than can be said for most people. His new Antestor review is uproarious, and I couldn't agree more with his assessment of Woods of Ypres.

Author:  OlympicSharpshooter [ Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:16 pm ]
Post subject: 

Since I haven't pimped anything in a while (all that praise for Abom disappeared, alas) here's perhaps my favourite review on the site:

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=8387#19003

Swineeyedlamb is a stunning reviewer, and he manages to actually do what I only approximate with my ramblings on general music in the first coupla paragraphs alone.

Author:  Thamuz [ Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:34 am ]
Post subject: 

Abominatrix wrote:
I'm sorry I couldn't help him much with the Demigod one, but he didn't really need it.

Oh, you helped, don't doubt that. Just not in the way I originally intended you to help. Both yourself and GoD tipped me towards describing a feeling rather than putting in an extensive "musical analysis." ;)

Author:  OlympicSharpshooter [ Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:53 am ]
Post subject: 

The two new Falconsbane reviews (Painkiller and Darkness Descends) are pretty damned fine, particularly the Priest review. He's one of the best reviewers on the site, very verbose, knowledgeable, and with a way of writing really piercing analysis.

Author:  Cheeses_Priced [ Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

Abominatrix wrote:
Cheeses_priced is at it again. I think he is the best negative reviewer on the site, not only because his negativity is often very amusing, but because even though he clearly dislikes a work he takes the time to listen to it thoroughly, which is more than can be said for most people. His new Antestor review is uproarious, and I couldn't agree more with his assessment of Woods of Ypres.


*takes a bow*

People seem to like the negative reviews better. Taking on new releases with 95%+ ratings could be a factor.

OlympicSharpshooter wrote:
Since I haven't pimped anything in a while (all that praise for Abom disappeared, alas) here's perhaps my favourite review on the site:

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=8387#19003

Swineeyedlamb is a stunning reviewer, and he manages to actually do what I only approximate with my ramblings on general music in the first coupla paragraphs alone.


With all respect to the many other fine reviewers on the site, he really is the best of us.

Author:  Cynical [ Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

OlympicSharpshooter wrote:
The two new Falconsbane reviews (Painkiller and Darkness Descends) are pretty damned fine, particularly the Priest review. He's one of the best reviewers on the site, very verbose, knowledgeable, and with a way of writing really piercing analysis.

Agreed, particularly on the Painkiller review.

Author:  Thamuz [ Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:43 pm ]
Post subject: 

Cynical wrote:
Agreed, particularly on the Painkiller review.

I disagree with his second paragraph. "Bookending" an album with a decade of tripe to make it look "classic" is all good and fine, but that implies the person purporting such greatness on said album has actually heard what came before and after it, right?

Author:  Falconsbane [ Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

Thamuz wrote:
Cynical wrote:
Agreed, particularly on the Painkiller review.

I disagree with his second paragraph. "Bookending" an album with a decade of tripe to make it look "classic" is all good and fine, but that implies the person purporting such greatness on said album has actually heard what came before and after it, right?


Do you seriously believe the people who fellate Painkiller haven't heard the prior and subsequent Priest albums?

Author:  Thamuz [ Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:17 pm ]
Post subject: 

Other than "Painkiller" I've only heard "British Steel." I gave the former a rating of 93. There's an exception to every rule.

Author:  Gabometal86 [ Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

Falconsbane wrote:
Thamuz wrote:
Cynical wrote:
Agreed, particularly on the Painkiller review.

I disagree with his second paragraph. "Bookending" an album with a decade of tripe to make it look "classic" is all good and fine, but that implies the person purporting such greatness on said album has actually heard what came before and after it, right?


Do you seriously believe the people who fellate Painkiller haven't heard the prior and subsequent Priest albums?


There are many guys who have only heard the most fellated album by each and every band. Easiest examples: Painkiller, Reign In Blood and Darkness Descends.

Author:  Thamuz [ Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

Falconsbane's "Sound Of Perserverance" review is worth a mention. Concise, to the point.

Author:  yogibear [ Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:08 am ]
Post subject: 

Scarred_Soul wrote:
I like Bloodstone's reviews. Long and informative :)


Question? why is it that some reviews are rather long while others are shorter? i had things i wanted to say on a couple of reviews but it seems to limit the number of words while i've read some reviews that were like twice the length of reviews i submitted.

Author:  OlympicSharpshooter [ Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:06 pm ]
Post subject: 

Thamuz wrote:
Falconsbane's "Sound Of Perserverance" review is worth a mention. Concise, to the point.


I hated that review. It seemed immature, and Scorpio has a review that's almost exactly the same train of thought that kills it.

And there are no word limits. Just don't suck and it should get accepted.

Author:  Bloodstone [ Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:16 pm ]
Post subject: 

yogibear wrote:
Scarred_Soul wrote:
I like Bloodstone's reviews. Long and informative :)


Question? why is it that some reviews are rather long while others are shorter? i had things i wanted to say on a couple of reviews but it seems to limit the number of words while i've read some reviews that were like twice the length of reviews i submitted.


Yeah, good review =/= long review. Most of my reviews, the early ones in particular, are for the most part too long for their own good; but I usually realize this about a month or so after posting them. :bang:

Author:  Thamuz [ Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:36 pm ]
Post subject: 

OlympicSharpshooter wrote:
Thamuz wrote:
Falconsbane's "Sound Of Perserverance" review is worth a mention. Concise, to the point.


I hated that review. It seemed immature, and Scorpio has a review that's almost exactly the same train of though that kills it.

Scorpio's was also worthy.

Author:  OlympicSharpshooter [ Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:38 pm ]
Post subject: 

Bloodstone wrote:
yogibear wrote:
Scarred_Soul wrote:
I like Bloodstone's reviews. Long and informative :)


Question? why is it that some reviews are rather long while others are shorter? i had things i wanted to say on a couple of reviews but it seems to limit the number of words while i've read some reviews that were like twice the length of reviews i submitted.


Yeah, good review =/= long review. Most of my reviews, the early ones in particular, are for the most part too long for their own good; but I usually realize this about a month or so after posting them. :bang:


*whispering* Edit? ;)

Author:  Bloodstone [ Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:16 pm ]
Post subject: 

OlympicSharpshooter wrote:
Bloodstone wrote:
yogibear wrote:
Scarred_Soul wrote:
I like Bloodstone's reviews. Long and informative :)


Question? why is it that some reviews are rather long while others are shorter? i had things i wanted to say on a couple of reviews but it seems to limit the number of words while i've read some reviews that were like twice the length of reviews i submitted.


Yeah, good review =/= long review. Most of my reviews, the early ones in particular, are for the most part too long for their own good; but I usually realize this about a month or so after posting them. :bang:


*whispering* Edit? ;)


I've considered that, but then it's always crossed my mind that I might as well write a review for another album instead and do more good that way. :lol:

However, I've actually changed my mind a bit about Testament - The New Order, so maybe rewrite that one...all the other albums I've reviewed back when I was starting out I still have pretty much the same opinion about today.

Author:  Gabometal86 [ Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:33 am ]
Post subject: 

Bloodstone wrote:
OlympicSharpshooter wrote:
Bloodstone wrote:
yogibear wrote:
Scarred_Soul wrote:
I like Bloodstone's reviews. Long and informative :)


Question? why is it that some reviews are rather long while others are shorter? i had things i wanted to say on a couple of reviews but it seems to limit the number of words while i've read some reviews that were like twice the length of reviews i submitted.


Yeah, good review =/= long review. Most of my reviews, the early ones in particular, are for the most part too long for their own good; but I usually realize this about a month or so after posting them. :bang:


*whispering* Edit? ;)


I've considered that, but then it's always crossed my mind that I might as well write a review for another album instead and do more good that way. :lol:

However, I've actually changed my mind a bit about Testament - The New Order, so maybe rewrite that one...all the other albums I've reviewed back when I was starting out I still have pretty much the same opinion about today.


you´ve changed your mind for better or for worse on The New Order?

Page 4 of 358 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/