Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:04 pm 

well there are a couple doom metal bands later on that took influence from hammerheart but still definitely not doom at all.

Marco_AGJ
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:59 pm 

Is this the dark age of reviewing on MA? Does everyone now think they can sound edgy and spew stuff like "what heavy metal is supposed to be" while rehashing old opinions? Judging classics without even fully realizing the zeitgeist and terminology of the period?

The future looks grim. We should have an option to blacklist reviewers, some of the stuff that make it into this website now is just pathetic.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:01 pm 

Marco_AGJ wrote:
The future looks grim. We should have an option to blacklist reviewers, some of the stuff that make it into this website now is just pathetic.

Sounds harsh.

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:31 pm 

Marco_AGJ wrote:
Is this the dark age of reviewing on MA? Does everyone now think they can sound edgy and spew stuff like "what heavy metal is supposed to be" while rehashing old opinions? Judging classics without even fully realizing the zeitgeist and terminology of the period?

Agreed.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:44 pm 

Looking forward to your 1st review, Marco...

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:45 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Looking forward to your 1st review, Marco...

Exactly what I was thinking :D

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:57 pm 

Ha, when I saw buddy's caustic post, I was going. aw, man, not him again!

Anyhow, in regards to this post here:

"True... yet I still find it rather unoriginal to state about an album almost exactly what the previous reviewer said, regardless of whether or not it was that person's idea in the first place."

I find the best way (if you can) to review something is to go in blind, as in not having read any of the other reviews for it beforehand;

not only does this facilitate avoiding subliminal/subconscious overlapping of ideas, but often produces rather nifty results i.e. your review might nicely compliment the one prior and vice-versa; as if the multiple reviews as a whole for said album take on a life on their own or something like that! (I always like reading others' review after I wrote my up, and if a glaring repetition pronounces itself - it's happened where I thought up the same title as someone else, for example - you can always amend it later.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:59 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:

"True... yet I still find it rather unoriginal to state about an album almost exactly what the previous reviewer said, regardless of whether or not it was that person's idea in the first place."

I find the best way (if you can) to review something is to go in blind, as in not having read any of the other reviews for it beforehand;

not only does this facilitate avoiding subliminal/subconscious overlapping of ideas, but often produces rather nifty results i.e. your review might nicely compliment the one prior and vice-versa; as if the multiple reviews as a whole for said album take on a life on their own or something like that! (I always like reading others' review after I wrote my up, and if a glaring repetition pronounces itself - it's happened where I thought up the same title as someone else, for example - you can always amend it later.

This. BastardHead taught me to not give a shit about any other reviewer and pretend that the reader is reading your review and your review alone. That really helped me open my creative floodgates.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:01 am 

TrooperEd wrote:
CHAIRTHROWER wrote:

This. BastardHead taught me to not give a shit about any other reviewer and pretend that the reader is reading your review and your review alone. That really helped me open my creative floodgates.

I've been rather contrarian these past couple of weeks, so I hate to do so again, but I'd argue for reading a selection of reviews on that album's page before starting my own. I agree that one should try not to be influenced by those other reviews in terms of copying their content, although it would be better to skew your review away from those or even to begin your review in the context of the arguments presented in the other reviews. That way, you can avoid outright copying and repetition, while also advancing the discussion about the album.

For the Master of Puppets debate that brought this up, how likely are you to present fresh ideas if you just go in blind and say what you think? You're definitely going to repeat most things that the 30+ other reviewers have said before, right? Therefore, I would not suggest ignoring the other reviews, just reading them a little more critically and wondering about what changes they make to the review you were going to write. Then we can get more in-depth and back up our views of the album in question even more.

Occasionally, though, you might read the other reviews and think, 'I have nothing new to add,' then back slowly out of the door.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:21 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
I've been rather contrarian these past couple of weeks, so I hate to do so again, but I'd argue for reading a selection of reviews on that album's page before starting my own. I agree that one should try not to be influenced by those other reviews in terms of copying their content, although it would be better to skew your review away from those or even to begin your review in the context of the arguments presented in the other reviews. That way, you can avoid outright copying and repetition, while also advancing the discussion about the album.

For the Master of Puppets debate that brought this up, how likely are you to present fresh ideas if you just go in blind and say what you think? You're definitely going to repeat most things that the 30+ other reviewers have said before, right? Therefore, I would not suggest ignoring the other reviews, just reading them a little more critically and wondering about what changes they make to the review you were going to write. Then we can get more in-depth and back up our views of the album in question even more.

Occasionally, though, you might read the other reviews and think, 'I have nothing new to add,' then back slowly out of the door.

For better or worse, that's not really the way I write. The way I write is I waiting for something I want to say about an album to pop into my head, and expand around that until I find satisfactory for submission. I am trying to make an effort to review less reviewed albums however.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:35 am 

I feel like the answer lies somewhere between Gasmask and Chairthrower. On one hand, I personally find it to be the best when you don't take other reviews into account. Writing something as fresh as possible helps to keep yourself from being influenced from the outside. I've caught myself doing this more than once, not only repeating the same points as a previous reviewer but even using the same words in a manner that borders on unintentional plagiarism. Other reviews can give you ideas regarding what to look towards but it can be easy to fall into a trap where you just repeat what you'd previously read with slightly different words.

On the other hand, Gasmask touched on one of the biggest problems with both newbies and some of the current crop of regulars. Sometimes, you'll just have nothing new to add. Popping in and adding the thirty somethingth review for Master of Puppets where you just rehash the same points that everybody else has been making for decades will add jack fuck to the conversation except for a handy +1 to your own review score. Something that's very important to remember, and this goes for me as well, your ego is not important. Running in and saying the same thing as 20 other people but louder and with added poop jokes isn't going to add anything worth reading unless the previous reviews are all really bad, which after 15+ years of the site's existence really shouldn't be the case at all anymore with really frequently reviewed albums from mega popular bands since all the old 2002 era stuff has mostly been culled. I'd probably have nearly a hundred more reviews myself if I didn't care about that sort of thing. But I don't, because if my points have already been covered, what's the point? Why review Altars of Madness when Napero already said everything I would ever say about it? Why review Kiuas's The New Dark Age when Sean16 basically already pulled every single thought out of my head ten years ago? Why review Rust in Peace when like two dozen people already gave it mega high scores and touched on everything I love about it? You've got to know when your review simply has no value as an addition, and adding something with no value is pretty much by definition worthless and a waste of everybody's time. This is a big reason why we so often encourage people to lean towards less reviewed albums if possible. It's much better to get more insight on more albums than it is to get another voice in an already cacophonous din with regards to the most popular metal albums in existence. And if you're the type that cares about their "brand" more than the quality of the site, that's preferable anyway because if you do have anybody who follows you, you will likely show them more interesting stuff and show off a more challenging side of your writing than just slobbering all over Stained Class for the sixteen squintillionth time.

On the other side of that other hand, running in and spouting off contrarian nonsense is like 70% of the time just attention-seeking (the other 30% is around 5% genuinely new insight and 25% being a dumbass). Master of Puppets has been a fucking magnet for this shit lately, most of the time from clueless idiots with no grasp of context or subtlety. Or they just kick down the door and try to be UltraBoris all over the place while A) forgetting that most of his reviews are kinda shit, and B) totally whiffing on his strengths and focusing entirely on the fact that he shouted a lot and made a lot of dick and poop jokes.

I guess the overall point of this post is that reviewing well takes a lot more skill than most people realize. There's a delicate balancing act you need to take into account and most people quite simply just don't bother with it. Too many people, especially lately, will totally oversteer into some superlative and wind up faceplanting. Being unbearably dull vs being a failed comedian. Being way too nice to every album vs being a lameass wannabe droneriot contrarian. Repeating the same points everybody else has already made tenfold vs saying baffling nonsense that nobody has ever said before because nobody has ever been quite as stupid as you. Being a know-it-all who gets everything wrong vs being a clueless dork who gets everything wrong. It's not easy, everybody has their own strengths and weaknesses and their own voice, but really you've just got to ask yourself "is this review worth reading?" Readers should ask that too, and not be afraid to use the forums when they're not. Trust me, faceless, nameless lurkers out there, we mods are just as exasperated as you are.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:41 am 

Wow! I expected some feedback from my previous post but this sure beats flapping the morning paper over coffee any time!

I'd just like to add, sometimes, it is indeed best to just "quietly back out the door" or in rare instances, swallow one's pride and defer to a fellow reviewer who manages to do want you (I) couldn't...For example. I had written up a doom band, Dead Witches, last year as a token "despondent/lower rated review" without even fulling digging the album properly (i.e. simply lumped it in with all those other Electric Wizard sound-alikes) or getting my facts straight (it turns out one of the musicians on the album was in fact a former "Wizard"!) but felt the need to delete it (the only time I've done so btw) once Twisted P. slapped up a more appropriate and better, as well as more fairly rated, review the following day. It's like I felt I had to wear the egg a bit and let his stand alone as, admittedly, not only did it make mine look bad (which is sort of was!) but it just seemed right.

Also, with so many friggin' albums out there (covering them all is akin to leaping around like a frog with your tongue out in hopes of catching as many flies as possible!) it's just way more sagacious (wise) to focus your efforts, time, and energy on, like Bastard Head said, reviews which would actually benefit the site/ bring something further to the table...Although, sometimes, certain gems, such as Borrowed Time!, deserve an extra in-depth look, wouldn't you all agree? Obviously, if there's already a shit ton of reviews in its regards and there's not much more to say on the matter, that's another story!

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:51 am 

Honestly I think it's just a question of motivation, of why you're writing a review. Like I had a few thoughts on Reign in Blood that I sort of wanted to write about so I just laid them down and submitted it. I think it's when people take reviewing Puppets or Number of the Beast as a RITE OF INITIATION or something that you get a bunch of shit reviews.

We should be encouraging everyone to review Penis Metal, anyway.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:53 am 

caspian wrote:
Honestly I think it's just a question of motivation, of why you're writing a review. Like I had a few thoughts on Reign in Blood that I sort of wanted to write about so I just laid them down and submitted it. I think it's when people take reviewing Puppets or Number of the Beast as a RITE OF INITIATION or something that you get a bunch of shit reviews.

That would explain my shitty Reign in Blood review.

caspian wrote:

I second this.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:30 pm 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:

caspian wrote:

I second this.

I saw this and thought to myself "challenge accepted" and went to look the band up on the archives, only to find there was no such thing. And now I'm a sad panda.

caspian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:31 pm 

You've reviewed it dude. Penis Metal by Hades Archer.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:10 pm 

caspian wrote:
You've reviewed it dude. Penis Metal by Hades Archer.

:durr:
I actually have not reviewed it, but you are right, it is a thing. 45 reviews?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:13 pm 

TrooperEd wrote:

Still a less obvious target than most of what you review.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

caspian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:24 pm 

It's a pretty fun old blast of war metal. That sort of south american stuff.. it's not the sort of thing I could imagine dedicating much listening to, but whenever I put it on it's always a good time.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:40 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
TrooperEd wrote:

Still a less obvious target than most of what you review.

You are quite correct.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:14 pm 

How caspian feels about Penis Metal, with the idea that something scrappy and raw and sloppy is better than something polished, is how I feel about the Legendry album. I think that one is a shitload of fun in spite of how primitive and basic it is a lot of the time.

caspian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:28 pm 

I get you but man, the legendry vocals are awful as well, and I definitely feel like it was a deliberate choice with those dudes, whereas I assume guys in Chile 10 years ago had less access to cheap but good home recording

caspian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:29 pm 

Seems natural with penis metal but forced with legendry is what I’m trying to say.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:02 pm 

Where can I find this world-renowned Hades Archer EP? :P

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:30 pm 

I was thinking of my earlier post from today and felt the need to add there's nothing wrong with reviewing the classics as long as you give them a fresh coat/makeover imbued with new angles as is the case with Trooper Ed (dug the Sleep review btw) and stainedclass2112, whose contributive presence on the site is sorely missed! (although he did briefly pop his head in the forum during the December review challenge...).

I dearly hope he hasn't been wrangled in by a gal who disapproves of metal (yet I think he knows better!).

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:25 pm 

I think droneriot is quite the Windir fan.

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:50 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
I was thinking of my earlier post from today and felt the need to add there's nothing wrong with reviewing the classics as long as you give them a fresh coat/makeover imbued with new angles as is the case with Trooper Ed (dug the Sleep review btw) and stainedclass2112, whose contributive presence on the site is sorely missed! (although he did briefly pop his head in the forum during the December review challenge...).

I dearly hope he hasn't been wrangled in by a gal who disapproves of metal (yet I think he knows better!).

Yeah, I'll second that, about stainedclass2112; he did write some really interesting, good reviews, but unfortunately he only "danced" for one year (2016 that is), and his fixation on Buckethead was too big to give him chances to glance at other bands more often.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:19 pm 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
I think droneriot is quite the Windir fan.

He's hated Windir with a passion for as long as I've known of him, and after about 14 years of being on here he hasn't really changed. Can't really fault him, I've been redoing old reviews from my newbie days in 2005 and my opinion has changed on exactly zero of them.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:51 am 

Kind of a weird coincidence that Bastardhead's "lameass wannabee droneriot contrarian" comment this morning would be followed by two scathing droneriot reviews on the same day, his first couple in quite a long time. They were fun to read though, despite my lack of scorn towards the band.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:25 am 

Liquid_Braino wrote:
Kind of a weird coincidence that Bastardhead's "lameass wannabee droneriot contrarian" comment this morning would be followed by two scathing droneriot reviews on the same day, his first couple in quite a long time. They were fun to read though, despite my lack of scorn towards the band.

Windir is one of those bands that I kind of having a hard time seeing how they could be hated so much except if it's by droneriot. I understand some people think that having an accordion going with black metal and throwing in some folk tunes is blasphemy, I just never saw the cult as appealing I suppose. :oh shit:
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Last edited by hells_unicorn on Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:39 am 

droneriot wrote:
I know good people, intelligent people who are into some godawful stuff, but for this band there is no excuse of taste, you gotta have some degree of Down's syndrome to be into it. It's simply shocking how distastefully banal and stupid absolutely everything about it is.

Haven't we all graduated middle school? "I hate this album and even though everyone else loves it everyone else has Down's syndrome."

droneriot wrote:
I'm glad there's Darkthrone and Hades and Ildjarn, because otherwise the thought that a project as completely and utterly worthless as Windir managed to get a full line-up would have my German mind thinking why we didn't include Norwegians in the cattle trains to Poland.

I don't consider myself overtly PC, but isn't this, y'know, in intensely poor taste? Isn't it enough to shit on the music?

The only conclusion I can come to is that Valfar fucked droneriot's girlfriend.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:17 am 

I thought droneriot was gone for good after whining about having no more use for MA because Derigin called him out on being an asshole.

And yeah, those lines about Down's syndrome and the Holocaust are intensely distasteful, not to mention "edgy teen" levels of try hard. It's the lamest kind of newbie "I'm trying to be offensive so people will pay attention to me" bullshit I've seen in a while from an MA veteran that surely ought to know better.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:07 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
I thought droneriot was gone for good after whining about having no more use for MA because Derigin called him out on being an asshole.

And yeah, those lines about Down's syndrome and the Holocaust are intensely distasteful, not to mention "edgy teen" levels of try hard. It's the lamest kind of newbie "I'm trying to be offensive so people will pay attention to me" bullshit I've seen in a while from an MA veteran that surely ought to know better.

This is droneriot going back to his roots, I'm not sure if you were ever familiar with his original review work (I think he deleted all of it before your account was created) as it hails back to the days when the Iraq War was raging and Uncle Sam didn't recognize whatever knot the gays were trying to tie, but this is pretty much par for the course not just for him, but for a number of contemporaries that have made their vacation from these Archives a bit more permanent. Times may change, but it appears good old Kim Jon-Gil is up to his old tricks. Naturally I don't necessarily approve and definitely do not agree in this particular case, I'm one of those more verbose trustees of Down's Syndrome who may have to write a more complementary review of Windir's material soon to continue the new dialogue.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:36 am 

From the sound of it, I am thankfully unfamiliar with his early work. I am aware of his tendency to be rather venomous and condescending when spouting negative opinions, but this level of blatant, deliberate asshattery is not something I expected from him.

caspian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:41 am 

Feeling a bit of a "disappointed dad" vibe after I read those Windir reviews. Drone can write- his Finntroll review was one of the best I've ever read, absolutely scathing and really funny and descriptive at the same time. These Windir reviews aren't funny or descriptive, and probably the worst he's ever done.

Hey hells, remember when you made a joke about a cinema massacre in a review like two days after the shooting happened? ;)

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:42 am 

caspian wrote:
Feeling a bit of a "disappointed dad" vibe after I read those Windir reviews. Drone can write- his Finntroll review was one of the best I've ever read, absolutely scathing and really funny and descriptive at the same time. These Windir reviews aren't funny or descriptive, and probably the worst he's ever done.

Hey hells, remember when you made a joke about a cinema massacre in a review like two days after the shooting happened? ;)

Oh yes, clear as day, and also practically everyone blowing a gasket over it. I didn't say I was immune from giving the old edge lord angle a spin from time to time, though it wasn't necessarily a part of my regular formula. Part of me misses the good old days when people were pushing the envelope on here, though I don't think Windir should be the target. :-P

Xlxlx wrote:
From the sound of it, I am thankfully unfamiliar with his early work. I am aware of his tendency to be rather venomous and condescending when spouting negative opinions, but this level of blatant, deliberate asshattery is not something I expected from him.

It was an acquired taste, and a lot of the stuff he defecated on was stuff that I hold in fairly high esteem. What was more out of character for him was that run of positive reviews (aka the wave of 100s) that he did when he started reviewing again. He wasn't doing precisely what bitterman did (he had several positive reviews), but he did inspire similar reactions in people.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Last edited by hells_unicorn on Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
caspian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:24 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... n__/396125

man, reviews like this annoy the hell out of me.

Basically spends the whole time talking about how it's well overlong and he doesn't really enjoy it. That's fine, I haven't heard the band, I have no skin in the game at all. What annoys me is that he still gives the thing 78%

It's reviews like this- there was another one from a few days ago where a guy was all "I don't like it much" and still gave it 75%- that completely screw the rating systems up for every album on the site.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:58 am 

Yeah I've thought some droneriot reviews were very good, but those are weak as hell - goofy immature edge-lord bullshit and a lack of really good description. We get it, you think it's fruity and keyboard-infested. How about actually elaborating?

Quote:
I get you but man, the legendry vocals are awful as well, and I definitely feel like it was a deliberate choice with those dudes, whereas I assume guys in Chile 10 years ago had less access to cheap but good home recording

I can see that. There's definitely a conscious effort to create that fantastical, barbarian type of sound. But the energy is very genuine to me.

caspian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:21 am 

Music's one hell of a thing, isn't it! :lol: I always reject the idea that it's a completely subjective thing (Limp Bizkit and Beethoven's 5th or whatever are not equal), but yes, a huge amount of very grey areas

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:43 pm 

Verily dug Bastard Head's wicked use of the word "bugaboo" in his Nile review! (variants include "bugbear", "bete noire" - with the little hat on the "e"! - as well as anathema...you know the drill!);

btw the new Judas Priest album is AWESOME! I'd even go as far as saying its in their top 5 of all time, along with Sad Wings, Sin After Sin, Stained Class, Screaming for V., and Defenders of the Faith (OK, top 6 then!)...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 330, 331, 332, 333, 334, 335, 336 ... 520  Next