Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:58 am 

Are you fellas thinking of doing anything special when we get to the 100,000 review mark? I've been looking at the counter slowly creeping closer and closer to that mark for a while now...

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:04 am 

What you have to do is when it gets to 99950 submit like, 100 reviews en masse, so even accounting for deletion it'll be your review that's the 100,000th.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:24 am 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
What you have to do is when it gets to 99950 submit like, 100 reviews en masse, so even accounting for deletion it'll be your review that's the 100,000th.

Well, I wasn't really thinking that MA is the kind of website to give a prize for the 100,000th entry, but I meant whether there's anything that could specially mark reaching that total.

Like, say if we reviewed the first album submitted to the Archives as a milestone or got together to do something like the Hades Archer April Fools' Day stunt.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:15 am 

@CHAIRTHROWER: Don't worry, my post wasn't directed at you personally! It was a general rant. But be forewarned: if you ever commit the sin against which I railed, I will track you down and show up at your place with a dictionary. So have a care! :p

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:23 pm 

Autothrall will submit the 100,000th review and then kill himself.

autothrall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:13 pm 

Acrobat wrote:

Hey now.

I'm saving that for the 1,000,000th.

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:12 pm 

i FIXED MY oATH REVIEW FOR GOOD!

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:54 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Napalm_Satan wrote:

Well, I wasn't really thinking that MA is the kind of website to give a prize for the 100,000th entry, but I meant whether there's anything that could specially mark reaching that total.

Like, say if we reviewed the first album submitted to the Archives as a milestone or got together to do something like the Hades Archer April Fools' Day stunt.

I suggest we all contribute a short paragraph to the same review. The mods will select the work three days earlier so we could all have the time to listen to that particular effort. This will automatically make it the longest review ever here on the archives, and quite possibly on the entire Net.

Then we'll do the same for the 200,000th review, then for the 300,000th one, then...

The 1,000,000th review we will leave to autothrall alone. But it has to be submitted in the old-fashioned way, by post; handwritten (not typed), on paper, with a blue pen.

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:30 am 

bayern wrote:
handwritten (not typed)
in his own blood on ancient papyrus and sealed with his semen! :hail:

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:39 pm 

What about the 1,000,000th band added, which, according to my dusty crystal ball here, should grace these ineluctable digital pages sometime around 2050 (seems early, yes, but considering a fortuitous amalgam of the population boom with an ever-expanding "legion" of erudite and passionate rivet heads, such a vaticination feels rather sound, wouldn't y'all agree?).

Also, I really dug bonerinsweatpants (aka "tent boy")'s structurally well woven Wraith_Heed The Warning review, notably this wicked line, from the before-last paragraph:

"A lot of the songs seem* to sound pretty similar, and some of the lyrics/rhyme schemes seem* a bit a under-developed (maybe even a bit too simple) but they do tend to paint a pretty grim picture of a world gone cold, with renegade, violent bastards swarming the ash strewn roads of our new apocalyptic planet.". Nice!

I'm impressed, considering it's his first review, I believe, although I'm flummoxed as to why he's only garnered 3 points so far, as opposed to 5...dug his ribald profile though!

That' the kind of format I should adhere to, namely, easy to read, compendious and genial! (as opposed to long-winded, rash and ludicrously convoluted!)

*[a friendly syntax suggestion: try, as best you can, to avoid the word "seem", which can be replaced with "appear" or "feel", for instance] - Chair Ed.

Also, thanks everyone for putting up with my "niaiseries" - Metantoine can tell you what it means! I've actually learned a lot this week in regards to review writing...I love this site!

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:27 pm 

Laugh of the day: https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... rtido/2095

"Pussy metal". Not kitten metal, then? And gay, too, I presume. I kind of understand these opinions.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:32 pm 

"I ONLY LISTEN TO THE HEAVIEST, MANLIEST METAL, NONE OF THAT PUSSY SHIT, YOU HEAR? NOT IN THE LEAST. I'M A MANLY MAN WHO LISTENS TO MANLY MUSIC ONLY. I AM NOT INSECURE AT ALL."

That's all I read there.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:39 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
"I ONLY LISTEN TO THE HEAVIEST, MANLIEST METAL, NONE OF THAT PUSSY SHIT, YOU HEAR? NOT IN THE LEAST. I'M A MANLY MAN WHO LISTENS TO MANLY MUSIC ONLY. I AM NOT INSECURE AT ALL."

That's all I read there.

Probably written by a young guy. His full name is Cunt Satan Perkele. I' know many guys wth same name.

When I was young, I sold all my power metal albums. A stupid mistake.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:51 am 

Five_Nails wrote:
bayern wrote:
handwritten (not typed)
in his own blood on ancient papyrus and sealed with his semen! :hail:

Finally found a signature I want to use.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:17 am 

Lane wrote:
Laugh of the day: https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... rtido/2095

"Pussy metal". Not kitten metal, then? And gay, too, I presume. I kind of understand these opinions.

I like that he lists Ensiferum, COB and Iced Earth as examples of bands he'd prefer. So one dimensional about this "manly music" dichotomy that he'll just pick any garbage bands.

And lol, "tell them to listen to Slayer and Darkthrone to see how gay they can be." Is this 2005 or something?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:01 am 

Empyreal wrote:
And lol, "tell them to listen to Slayer and Darkthrone to see how gay they can be." Is this 2005 or something?

2003 actually :wink:

People who complain about the state of reviews nowadays should read this to see what was actually one of the better ones from the site's early days. The lame noobs have never gone away but man has the average quality of writing fuckin skyrocketed.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:07 am 

autothrall wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

Hey now.

I'm saving that for the 1,000,000th.

Ahhh, a Glen Benton-esque cop out? :P

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:35 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

2003 actually :wink:

People who complain about the state of reviews nowadays should read this to see what was actually one of the better ones from the site's early days. The lame noobs have never gone away but man has the average quality of writing fuckin skyrocketed.

Oh I thought it had just been accepted now. Goes to show you what I post when just waking up.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:36 am 

Early 2000s homophobia was one hell of a drug.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:58 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Oh I thought it had just been accepted now. Goes to show you what I post when just waking up.

Yeah, I wouldn't have accepted that now. In fact, it's such a garbage track-by-track lacking musical description that I've sent it back to the user.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:32 pm 

Whilst I warily sat through Black Viper's largely innocuous and raw Storming With Vengeance demo, a couple recent erudite reads, alongside a giddy purview of the Norwegian speedsters' title track, "Hellions of Fyre" has suitably peppercorned my steak...iow (my new acronym for "in other words" - will it take off? Ha, unlikely!), I'm on that like a mistress at Christmas (that's an AC/DC thing, not mine)...

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:25 am 

You crack me up dude!

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:16 pm 

Anyone catch that Down Among the Deadmen review? Seems the guy wrote the review for their latest album and for some reason posted it under their first album, but still got accepted...

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:08 am 

Lol I've made that mistake before, it's easy to do. Looks like he noticed soon enough, it's probably in the queue waiting to go up on the right album by now.

nuklearkrieg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:51 pm 

Have to disagree with Felix 1666 on the Battle Dagorath Dark Dragons review. It's a fine take overall but I'd argue the score (and even the title, I would have gone with "Spacy" rather than "Wintery") are misleading. To each their own, of course, but if you walked in expecting Immortal, Battle Dagorath doesn't seem like the party you want to walk in to.

Felix 1666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:10 am 

@nuklearkrieg - thanks for the feedback, your opinion is welcome. Guess different perspectives on an album make things quite more interesting.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:52 am 

Just wanted to give BH a shoutout for his excellent Archspire review. As someone who also found their past effort lacking despite the obvious skill on display, I thought it did great job of explaining how Relentless Mutation righted the ship and why it rules so fucking hard. Seriously, if you wanna hear catchy, compulsively listenable dm that still possesses the technicality of an interstellar spacecraft's blueprint, check this album out.

I find it funny that with a tracklisting full of interesting titles, they picked the most generic-sounding one to name the album after, though. :')

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:01 am 

Metal_Detector wrote:
Just wanted to give BH a shoutout for his excellent Archspire review. As someone who also found their past effort lacking despite the obvious skill on display, I thought it did great job of explaining how Relentless Mutation righted the ship and why it rules so fucking hard. Seriously, if you wanna hear catchy, compulsively listenable dm that still possesses the technicality of an interstellar spacecraft's blueprint, check this album out.

It's a great review. I don't give a crap about technical death, but I wanted to check out at least a track after reading it.

What cracks me up is that those vocals really sound like Corey Taylor doing 'Spit It Out' when he's going fast :scratch:

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:52 pm 

SLIMER's review of the Repudilation compilation CD (which he repeatedly refers to as an "album") is questionable. Describes the band's music only very superficially and fails to understand that its main component is their '96 demo, so his claim that this wasn't even released in the nineties is simply wrong. Besides, most of his text is spent rambling about other groups.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:16 pm 

Special thanks to Gas for "celeritous" (i.e. swift, speedy, fast) but at first, I thought it meant "crunchy" (like celery)...

Now, I've a doozy I was going to tuck away for later use but since we're on the topic already:

rodomontade(s) (stems from Italian, not French, and goes best with Gatorade)

boastful or inflated talk or behavior.
talk boastfully.

Feel free to use THAT in a review!

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:16 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Special thanks to Gas for "celeritous" (i.e. swift, speedy, fast) but at first, I thought it meant "crunchy" (like celery)...

Now, I've a doozy I was going to tuck away for later use but since we're on the topic already:

rodomontade(s) (stems from Italian, not French, and goes best with Gatorade)

boastful or inflated talk or behavior.
talk boastfully.

Feel free to use THAT in a review!

I believe there was a post about thesaurus use on the previous page, just to reiterate;

Controlled, measured thesaurus use to avoid being unnecessarily repetitious? Good.

Reckless, wanton thesaurus abuse like the post above? Not good.

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:43 pm 

I finally finished my discography review of Yellow Machinegun. Feels nice to give attention to a lesser known band who previously only had three reviews. I even covered all the non-album releases with the exception of their sole demo and a VHS split, but those are impossible to find, and by impossible I don't mean "you have to pay some dunderhead on Discogs $500 for a copy of the tape", but that I literally can't find copies anywhere, not even a download.

I'm aware I'll be lucky if the people who give a fuck are greater than zero, but if I was looking for attention, I wouldn't spend time reviewing thrash bands whose name doesn't start with "Me".

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:35 am 

With that idea from before about the 100,000th review, I'd like to add my own thoughts. Maybe we're thinking too small about reviewing an album and having so many voices contribute. What about thinking bigger and having the voices of Metal-Archives reviewers review heavy metal as a style, contribute sections to subgenres and describe evolution and the process as we see it?

It's definitely worthy of an expansive retrospective on the many tendrils that make up this new Yggdrasil, it's been done before, and I think that plenty of people here can describe as well as they can drop names. I don't think we may need to write the book on heavy metal (as I said it's been done before) but I do think that this whirlwind of subgenres does need its own Encyclopaedia Metallum description, something that overall encompasses and directs the chatter of so many voices and encapsulates the many and divergent opinions that this relentless and exhaustive project brings forth.

This 100,000th won't be a single reviewer's output or under a single name but a link that we all can contribute to so long as contributors have been published on the archives before, therefore a reviewer review and vetted by the moderators simply for validity (matching up timelines) and balance. Controversies can be described, discrepancies can be understood, and larger motifs can be addressed to better understand the divergences seen in so many bands and styles. One review never encapsulates a subgenre, that's a given, but maybe this can be a worthwhile project to pin down some points and describe differing opinions in others. We have a place that has gone through a lot of changes since I've first written here and I think it would be worth making that part of a larger desnigation of style that becomes down pat for the vision of the archives as it stands now because future generations of moderators, musicians, and fans may see a new way to describe and designate. Sometimes this place can be bull-headed, other times it can be very accommodating, I think those are things that show the myriad opinions worth tying into a larger piece than simply examining one album, even if it is 'Black Sabbath' or 'Paranoid'. We've all come so far, why relegate the 100,000th to simply one album when there is a world of music for us to exchange ideas about?

Rather than search through ancient forums and topics that die on the vine, why not let us all put our best foot forward for a deadline and a goal together? Maybe we all can come together for something great.

I'm just spit-balling on an idea here, it could be better put off until the 150,000th review when this 100,000th is looming so close, but that seems a good way to leave a time capsule when it comes to review 100,000, especially since it is so close now. Ten years from now this site could blow up so big that the millionth review could be another close milestone, but for now I think this milestone (considering how many on here have been logging in for years) could be a great piece of posterity, however self-indulgent it may seem as this place, times, and tastes change.

What do you think? Could this be a worthy venture for at least a topic on the forum or maybe a separate post to the main site that we have documents of posterity that can leave time capsules for people (if we're lucky enough) decades from now can peruse and create themselves without trudging through shitposts for hours?

The Metal-Archives is a living encyclopaedia, I think that there's a good chance it could live in small pockets like it does now for some time after us so long as the internet remains a staple of human interaction in the future. It could blow up and become the next reddit for all we know if there's a major musical evolution. (I know, :wanker:, but it's happened before) Maybe we can say hi to our later brethren and maybe the entire style will totally change when we get into wheelchairs (as if we're not using wheely chairs while browsing the internet anyways :P). I think this is a great resource, not only for now, but for the future and a time capsule is something ever worthy of seeing where we are now to us later as it is for later generations to see from where this whole project (or at least its reviewers and their blowhard opinions) have come.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:42 am 

Five_Nails wrote:
100,000th review

That sounds a little...confusing. Are you thinking of an actual review or just something big that all reviewers can contribute to? You mentioned an encyclopaedic review of subgenres, or maybe something of a time capsule nature. It sounds cool, just looking for some clarification.

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:05 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Five_Nails wrote:
100,000th review

That sounds a little...confusing. Are you thinking of an actual review or just something big that all reviewers can contribute to? You mentioned an encyclopaedic review of subgenres, or maybe something of a time capsule nature. It sounds cool, just looking for some clarification.

Exactly. Instead of calling it the 100,000th review, make it a time capsule project and that way no single person is the 100,000th review(er) -especially if the review sucks. It's a nice pipe dream of nailing down what makes each subgenre, what peoples' thoughts are about them and maybe rating them together. Details like those can be worked out later. I think that would probably work for a later milestone but I also think it would be a good project to work on just for some posterity and to better nail down the general viewpoints of the metal reviewing community when it comes to the style as a whole.

There are a lot of reviews on this site and plenty of subgenres described. How do you define them all when they really can be as semantic as they seem on a bands page? On the inverse, how do so many bands of differing sounds fit into such broad subgenres? Where is this book on heavy metal that excludes as well as includes? How does it work out and where, in this encyclopedia is the actual doctrine governing such a vision that's more elaborate than the guidelines? The rules aren't all that specific in some cases and have some trouble defining their own terms. The admins have to admit that at least the idea of finding where a band is coming from in style is a tough line to negotiate. This could feature the debate as well as maybe settle it for the time being. Maybe we can work on standardizing a few other things as well as appreciating, make sure the vocabulary has more than just its semantic uses.

I've used many terms that I'm sure wouldn't hold up to scrutiny in the long run. Mind you, I don't mean policing language whatsoever, but maybe as a sort of glossary to help readers as well as a style guide series to get newcomers started and show how people may use album titles, song titles, or genre names while finding and compartmentalizing ideas for their reviews. Also, maybe a review guide itself for what makes an effective review written by reviewers themselves. I don't mean that the site rules aren't enough, I think that this could be part of a body of guidance for later users to start at the top rather than the crappy-diem.

Lords of Chaos, The Sound of the Beast, Sam Dunn (Metal: A Headbanger's Journey), Choosing Death, they don't define everything or even describe them well in plenty of cases, let alone their style guides are as various as there are writers. I don't mean just namedropping for subgenre segments, but I mean bringing the descriptions that reviewing here is made for will make such a project worthwhile. Ideas with evidence rather than simply broad definitions will make this stand out. Why can't we at least give it a try, a compendium of people with a broad base of views and listening experiences who (at least on paper) describe the music may work to review the genre itself rather than just the bands in it. It makes the Encyclopaedia Metallum have its own hello to the future while also showing what each reviewer has offered over this time here in the moment of creating the project. All of this comes with that caveat that we're not telling how it's supposed to be but how the myriad minds see thing at the moment. Therein lie controversies, discussions, and arguments. It can be riveting series of debates with plenty of agreeable moments or it can be a long description full of brilliant verbiage or both, but it's food for thought (at least to me) to make it more a project with a deadline rather than the chaos of random reviews and even more random forum topics that have no overall goals.

It's better than six hundred hate paragraphs about 'Penis Metal' at least.

Is metal worth 100% or do we need to think about what percentage we would give it as a whole, let alone by subgenre? Which subgenres fit in the map, what is too derivative to be a real break in the branch? Reviews are less subjective than committees, but at least we could try to find the comprehension that the site thanks us for whenever it glitches. Plus, how many metal websites have been this vast and survived this long? This site is a time capsule in itself, may as well leave some acknowledgement of its vitality to us as well as our own for the time being.

Sorry if this seems like a dumb idea. I'm just trying to spitball something that I think could be more than a biannual review challenge for when this milestone comes.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:26 pm 

Zeingard, there is no right or right way...

In writing, there are no rules, only tools. (said Roy Peter Clark of Pointdexter Institute of Journalism...)

As long as it connects with even one (1) person out there, it's transcended its point.

For the record, I don't wantonly slipslap synonyms left right and center, but actually use them to embellish and enliven the text...

Some may take issue with it, but then again, believe me when I say I can't help write the way I write (at least for now!).

Metal Regards and Busted Canapes

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:48 pm 

Chairboy, ultimately it's your decision but I do feel that abusing the thesaurus can easily overshadow the actual content of a review and make you disregard the musical description in favor of an exercise in style. You're a good reviewer with good content but I often feel overwhelmed with the vocabulary.

I like Twisted Psycho but christ, he has the same problem I have. He never reviews stuff he doesn't like and rarely give a rating below 80%. I also can't the highlights section, especially when you pick 50/75% of the songs. Disposable!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:39 pm 

There are definitely right or wrong ways to do writing just like anything else. You can play around with styles and be experimental once you master it. I hardly think anyone here has mastered the art of writing enough to say so.

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:19 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Zeingard, there is no right or right way...

In writing, there are no rules, only tools. (said Roy Peter Clark of Pointdexter Institute of Journalism...)

As long as it connects with even one (1) person out there, it's transcended its point.

For the record, I don't wantonly slipslap synonyms left right and center, but actually use them to embellish and enliven the text...

Some may take issue with it, but then again, believe me when I say I can't help write the way I write (at least for now!).

Metal Regards and Busted Canapes

My post was less about dictating right or wrong, and more about avoiding unnecessary thesaurus wankery.

You are free to use whatever insufferable tools you have at your disposal. Just avoid shitting them up with archaic and/or obtuse words.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:19 pm 

Maybe Diamhea had a review draft on his account that he couldn't publish anymore. Publishing it as 100,000th review on the site he cared so much about could be a classy gesture in my book.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 355, 356, 357, 358, 359, 360, 361 ... 520  Next