* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:50 am 

Opening of that new Saxon review...

Quote:
Saxon is a very well-known NWOBHM band. They are well known for their hits such as Denim and Leather and Princess of the Night and their music is very influential for other metal bands such as Saxon, Metallica, Artillery, and Testament.

Hmm... if you say so...

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:54 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Opening of that new Saxon review...

Quote:
Saxon is a very well-known NWOBHM band. They are well known for their hits such as Denim and Leather and Princess of the Night and their music is very influential for other metal bands such as Saxon, Metallica, Artillery, and Testament.

Hmm... if you say so...

Hahahaha! Brilliant! :lol:

I'd advise you to hold off on what is likely to be a negative review and give this album the perspective it deserves.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:04 am 

Amazing, you know a band is influential when it influences even themselves.

(Side note, I even fixed several typos and stuff in that review before accepting it, but this somehow slipped past me :lol:)

lonerider wrote:
Think I'm gonna go take a whiz through my fretboard now

It's the dawn of descending...

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:39 pm 

Nice SNM review from DanielG; I hope he tackles the rest of the Slayer discography, or at least up to Seasons. Also, I noticed there's already been three reviews for SNM so far this year, which is the most it's had since 2012.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:33 am 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Oh, maybe it's because China isn't fond of the ole tube, eh? But yeah, I owe Widow a proper return, as so far, I've only heard snippets outside of Carved Into Stone. That "other" Widow though, I'm not sure; the logo and album art hints at the North Carolinians, but I need to listen further to make the connection, if any. (There really is no indication whatsoever, and it could just be some random Widow-er.) From what I've heard so far though, it reminds me of an old school proto rock/metal act in the vein of Pagan Altar and Pentagram. Imagine! A brand new killer Widow!

I can get on YouTube (I have VPN for that) but sometimes links I get sent randomly don't work, oddly enough mostly ones that North Americans have used. I don't think it's a conspiracy or anything, just a bit annoying. If it's the Raleigh band, the song should be short and punchy, and not too retro sounding in terms of production. Guitar solos are a must. I haven't heard anything since 2016 on their front, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are focusing on Infinity Dream, which 2 of the members are involved in.

I thought you had reviewed "Life's Blood" by said Widow? Seems that review has walked.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:59 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Häxanu/Totenpass/1096847/Felix_1666/329559

If only you accept my cons you’ll find your Hell Awaits and maybe Reign in blood

Wink

UncleAsh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:08 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Thrilled to see UncleAsh return to the fore with his ear-opening Mean Mistreater review (having originally endeared me with his far flung Bedemon spiel from '07, years before I even set foot in the MA door).

Far flung is an accurate way to describe that particular review, yes.

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:26 am 

Far flung and spot-on, that review...As a big/long time Pentagram fan, I've had Child Of Darkness lurking in my drafts page for literally a dog's age, and should come around the bend soon.

That said, welcome back Uncle Ash!

Oh, nightbreaker! Great job on Lynx there - if you love 70s style trad metal, stop whatever you're doing and home in on Flight's A Leap Through Matter asap. I also dig the judicious nod to non MA valid Cherokee...

Last edited by CHAIRTHROWER on Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:44 pm 

Quote:
. Oh, nightbreaker! Great job on Lynx there - if you love 70s style trad metal, stop whatever you're doing and home in on Flight's A Leap Through Matter asap. (I think it might very well be my favourite release of all time!) I also dig the judicious nod to non MA valid Cherokee...

Thank you my friend! I will also review the Watcher of Skies digital single some day. Also thank you for the recommendation. I will definitely check out thay Flight album this period since I have a lot of free time!!

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:35 pm 

I'm loving the Lynx (Watcher Of Skies) right now!

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:43 am 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
I'm loving the Lynx (Watcher Of Skies) right now!

It's the same exact song from the "Watcher of Skies" album. There is also a video clip made for it on YouTube. Since you started the conversation, I would really like to suggest some albums for you to review:

Stamatis Ioannou - Heavy Metal 2 (Shameless self promotion) Instrumental heavy metal with very short songs.
Ringlorn - EP (Greece) Epic Metal
Hesperian Opus (the first album, power metal from Greece)
War Dance - Sons of Thunder Epic/Folk/Power
Badd Kharma - full album Melodic Heavy Metal
Power Crue - The first album Greek band
Marauder - The first album (Greek heavy band)

Also, Hercules is making a new demo for digital release on Bandcamp only. I went to his studio to record lead guitar for two songs and I might record one of his unreleased compositions in my studio with my gear!!!

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:57 am 

Oh, boy, I'm honoured by the requests, but you can tell by my truncated and lame Orange Goblin review it's probably best I hang back for now, at least until the ole creative juices start flowing again.
I don't know what happened yesterday but once I wrote the third paragraph I completely ran out of steam, grasping at straws, unable to word it further.

Before writing another, I'll likely touch it up and elaborate more, as as it stands, it doesn't live up to MA standards, and I can even sense Diamhea's spirit scolding me right now. Although I'd like to reach 1000 reviews eventually, it's better I don't besmirch his legacy and guidance by writing up crap...I just don't feel the same drive behind writing them anymore as I did while struggling on the streets of Vancouver. Go figure.

I'll still definitely check those releases out (and of course, am thrilled to spot yet another Lucifer V review.)

Don't you hate that though? Having an old classic of an album which meant so much to you at one point only to struggle to explain it away?

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:36 pm 

Sometimes it's just not the right time. I'm increasingly looking for reviews that I think I've already written only to find that I only intended to write them and never did.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:20 am 

So...I'm currently on a Lynx kick, which isn't limited to the (night broken) Lynx, as you can see:

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... oom/165461

Also, my guitar tuner finally came in the mail! Good thing, because even though I can technically tune it, I never know if I'm E, E flat, D or whichever...
Another thing: where do you start when you're rusty as hell and prone to always replay the same things already learned?

I figured I'd select a real tablature doozie in JP's Exciter, which looks a lot simpler on paper than in real time.
For rhythm, I'm using on old technique taught to me by Pat Knup of Foreshadow where you "one-ee-and-duh" the notes as you play along you so fall in time.

(The crazy-ass, bird honking leads, however, are another story!)

In truth though I'm wondering if getting a guitar at this point was nothing other than a rash mid life crisis acquisition, but it's always a good thing to have one kicking around.

Lastly, rounding the bend are new releases by Traveler, Coltre and...Judas Priest!

aidane154
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:24 pm 

shoutout to the 100% bathory yellow goat review, a killer debut often overshadowed by later hits like Under the sign and blood fire death

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
where do you start when you're rusty as hell and prone to always replay the same things already learned?

You could start with a really simple song, like something by Nirvana. You could master that in a few hours probably, which will warm you up in the process.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:51 pm 

Yes, "Exciter", though exciting, is a bit extreme. Nirvana or Alice In Chains do a fine job of throwing me back to my youth. (I know that even a four year old can play Nirvana's cover of "The Man Who Sold The World".) Another simple rocker which sits well with my mildly arthritic fingers is Riot's "Warrior"...Thanks for the suggestion!

Oh, and "Assassin" by Trouble is an excellent starter song as well; it feels like doom-y stuff, even when fast, is easier to grasp than sharper or more narrow style riffing (like Megadeth or Judas Priest - I tried learning "The Sentinel" once but was soon overcome! The main riffs to "Tornado Of Souls" and "Lucretia" are painfully doable, but the more intricate parts are too much.)

aidane154
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:21 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Yes, "Exciter", though exciting, is a bit extreme

Speaking of Exciter big shout out to the well deserved 100% stained class review. I don't know if slept on is the right phrase, but that album is also overshadowed by other masterpieces they did, like sad wings and painkiller. Similar to that Bathory situation but not quite the same

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:01 pm 

Quote:
So...I'm currently on a Lynx kick, which isn't limited to the (night broken) Lynx, as you can see:

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... oom/165461

That album is fuckin awesome too. True Melodic Metal from Sweden. "Fingers Crossed" is one of my favourite SWE Metal songs!! Also, I understand what you are saying about not being in the mood to write new reviews. I myself got burnt out by listening to many albums and writing too many reviews. Now I'm aiming to write and record a 1 hour doom metal album with low budget sound design. ... Have you been playing guitar for a long time?? I say a good metal riff to warm up is Heavy Metal Angels by Heavy Load. Dark Nights is another good one. In general most Heavy Load songs don't have very complex rhythmic guitars. Chjeers and good practice and have fun playing!!

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:00 pm 

Haha! Last night I had the killer song "One With The Sun" stuck playing in a loop in my head, riffs, solos, vocals and all! I just knew you'd dig it. Here is another excellent review for Matter Leap:

https://www.angrymetalguy.com/flight-a- ... er-review/

(Actually, it's worth reading all of its online reviews, even if I find the average scoring mealy-mouthed and strict.)

Thanks for the recommendation, I managed to find it at ultimate-guitar tabs and will give it a go right now. Although I wish I could find more Night Demon, maybe even Amulet or Traveler, I'll settle for Night Demon's "Full Speed Ahead", featured there.

(That "Warrior" riff by Riot is cool but it drove me nuts after a while, as the seemingly simple opening bar is trickier than it looks. I'd even say the intro to "Exciter" is more manageable.)

I also started a review for Watcher Of Skies, but am kind of stuck following the intro. I'll likely listen to it more over the next week in order to eventually do it justice.

Although I first picked up the guitar around age 14/15, only now (after finally getting some stability in my life) am I keen on re-pursuing it as a hobby, without any great expectations of becoming a guitar god or jukebox hero. That said, I really admire people for putting together records and playing as a band...I hope you're project goes swimmingly!

(How long have you been playing?)

Also thrilled to spot yet another perfectly scored Stained Class review!

Last edited by CHAIRTHROWER on Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:22 pm 

Oh, awesome recommendation! It reminds me of Ride The Lightening era Metallica...

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:17 pm 

Quote:
I also started a review for Watcher Of Skies, but am kind of stuck following the intro. I'll likely listen to it more over the next week in order to eventually do it justice.

(How long have you been playing?)

It's cool that another person is going to review that awesome album!! I bet it is going to be a great trip! That Angry Metal Guy rated that album 1.5/5 which I disagree with and I think it is a Sacrilege. Thank you for your wishes on my Doom Metal Project. I have written 6 10 minute songs and One intro. It is going to be an instrumental record. I have been playing electric guitar for 10 years! Also for an easier song, go with Living After Midgnight, I Love Rock n' Roll and Smells Like Teen Spirit. Not very metal but still they are OK warm-up songs. And they are kind of Easy. (It will probably get some time to get the knack for the Nirvana classic but you can simplify it at first playing two strokes each power chord and with time, if you practice you will play it just like Cobain did! It's managable!).

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:54 pm 

AMG is a tightwad, ratings wise...but I like to think he derives as much enjoyment reading mine as I do his.

So, I'm now fingering Night Demon's Full Speed Ahead, yet another kick-ass starter kit for the eternal, no longer airborne aspirant.

I also realized it's way more advantageous, albeit tough to master, using the middle finger/pinkie combo instead of the ole familiar index/ring finger when it comes to, for example, its first five bars (the simple 5th to 7th hammer-on riff), as further down the line within the song, it's easier to transition between the fourth, fifth and seventh frets on adjacent strings. This also applies to power chords, as Dave Mustaine eloquently explained back in the 90s in an issue of Guitar World i.e. his crazy spider fretting technique which alternates between both finger arrangements, thus making for a smoother flow between successive frets.

I dig these neat little moves/tricks which make it easier - or rather, less challenging. Considering my often sore and arthritic ring finger, this is a godsend! (In fact, so perniciously discouraging was this ailment that for a time I entertained the absurd notion of playing left handed, Jimi Hendrix style.)

Ok, maybe we'll take this cool convo to an appropriate forum thread, the one for reviewers turned guitar f(r)iends.

As a parting shot, the new Toxikull album is rad as it reminds me of Finland's Coronary.

aidane154
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:37 pm 

I agree with the DanielG06 South of Heaven review, never thought that album was perfect tbh and was surprised to learn that it's a 10/10 for a lot of people. I still love it but it's def not the first one I reach for. The balance of fast and slow was better on Seasons imo.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:48 am 

Hard agree with Felix on the latest Dust Bolt. It's incredible how many modern thrash bands are swerving towards alt-rock/metal lately. Granted, one would already be too much, but it's a worrying tendency.

lonerider wrote:

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:41 am 

Whoa! The new Coltre album rules! (Don't worry, nightbreaker, I haven't forgotten about Lynx, it's just that I couldn't help myself today and simply had to celebrate Coltre's latest and let the Brits know what a killer job they did, which is also warranted for Watcher Of Skies's equally 70s borne magic.)

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:06 pm 

I'm delighted to see TrooperEd back in action with a short-and-sweet Tapping the Vein review! Right on the money, too. Glad to have you back, Trooper, I thought we lost ya.

Also I'm glad I happened upon Mikesch Lord's review of Dawn's Slaughtersun. An amazingly sad and potent album, I think I voted for it in MA's best black metal poll a few years back. The bit about depression at the end of the review, just made me want to say I hope he, and everybody reading this, is doing well and finding stuff that makes you happy.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:56 pm 

You're always welcome back as well man, I literally can't stop laughing at that first paragraph of your Tortured Existence write-up. :lol:

lonerider wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:26 pm 

I just turned on Tortured Existence for the first time in like 15 years or something when I read that review. Good stuff. I think reviews are better when you dig into really more idiosyncratic analysis and just talk about the small minutiae of the music or how it makes you feel or whatever. Good review.

VictimOfScience
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:08 pm 

Excellent review on that debuting Demolition Hammer, I agree with much of what's been said about the record.

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:33 pm 

Agh, now I'm all embarrassed! Seriously, thank you everybody, your feedback is lovely to hear. It's great to know I'm entertaining folks! And Emp, I totally getcha. I look for that kind of thing in reviews myself, so I'm glad to hear you say that.

Thanks again everyone~!

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:50 am 

I enjoyed fellow metal archives partner SEATTOSSER's (See what I did there?) Very well-written Lynx review. Also CHAIRTHROWER, you are right Heartbreak City does sound like a very early Riot song from Rock City, only I picture it in my mind to be played faster by Riot and Guy in a parallel universe where it is actually their song! And in that universe Flight of the Warrior is an original Lynx song with the speed being the same but being similar to our universe's Dark Shadows Rising with the lots of strumming and not too many power chords!!

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:10 am 

Haha! (It sure beats STOOLFLINGER.)

Yes, I'm waiting on Papa's verdict this morning; he likely didn't mind the Lynx song, but it's very hard to get him to acquiesce my taste in music. I'd also sent him Coltre's "Rat Race" as a sampler, but maybe I went too far? (I was trying to figure out its kooky, circus style opening riff and although I think I nailed the first few notes, it's been tripping me up during both waking and sleeping hours.)

On the menu today, I'll try my hand(s) at Riot's roulette loving "Swords And Tequila" and maybe a bit more Night Demon at ultimate-guitar.com. I should also run through A minor in all of its modes and positions, for good measure. (Chair sized props to online tabbers for all the awesome work they do.)

I'll definitely check out your bandcamp pages; I also believe Lynx's best work is ahead of them!

(Lastly, NWOTHM just put out two rather auspicious EPs by newfound bands worth checking out...)

Last edited by CHAIRTHROWER on Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:04 am 

Another post here, as holy cow, Night Demon's playing a show in Montreal on May 10th...coinciding with my trip there to visit my folks, so it's a sure thing I'll go.
I haven't seen a live metal show since a battle of the bands at Vancouver's rickety Rickshaw Theatre back in September 2013...How exciting!

(Here in Victoria, and even to an extent, across the way in Vancouver, quality heavy metal shows are few and far between. I remember being crestfallen I couldn't make it here a few years ago to catch Eternal Champion during its first Northwestern tour.)

By the way, JP's not the only victorious veteran rounding the bend this Spring:

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/R ... ts/1193068

LtLemonade
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:34 am 

I submitted a review like, 4 days ago, and it's still listed as "pending", even though I had another review approved in less than a day. Is something wrong?

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:52 am 

LtLemonade wrote:
I submitted a review like, 4 days ago, and it's still listed as "pending", even though I had another review approved in less than a day. Is something wrong?

Nothing wrong, there's just no precise time to go through the submissions, so it likely means all the queue mods are having a busy week.

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:09 pm 

Annable gets a lot of flak here, but I thought that South of Heaven write-up was well composed and reasonable. Always good to see writers hanging in there and advancing their skills, so props to him.

I'm also happy to see Feast of the Damned reviewing again! His write-up of Night Stealer was a lot of fun and very intriguing, I've definitely got Savaged on my radar now. I wonder if a certain furniture hurler has any plans of reviewing that one, it sounds up his alley. Truthfully, I'm just eager to see Chairthrower hit 1000 reviews, that's gonna rock.

xexyzl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:00 pm 

Tanuki wrote:
Annable gets a lot of flak here, but I thought that South of Heaven write-up was well composed and reasonable. Always good to see writers hanging in there and advancing their skills, so props to him.
I've been pleasantly surprised with his Slayer reviews thus far; I always thought he was a good writer despite disagreeing with so many of his takes.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:10 am 

Thrilled to have you back, Tanuki! Yes, I think a thousand as a milestone is feasible, but I don't want to speed towards it, having Diamhea's eternal guidance ringing in my head -as in, to take my time and not rush things...Oh, I want to share these awesome guitar covers on youtube I came across yesterday, even though the incredible (if not unexpected) Night Demon_Life On The Run ones - solo and all - kind of discourage me, as in, how the %#$@ did they learn that wicked song to such a perfect degree? Anyhow, check it out, the youngblood Exciter one is out of this World as well (considering he also plays in a completely different manner than shown on tablature, on his crazy looking eight string guitar) while the older dude appeals to old school MF/KD vibes with his rocking cover of "Nuns Have No Fun"...

Weirdly, the first Night Demon dude's cover feels totally random (when looking at the rest of his channel), whilst the second guitar maniac is a big time Night Demon fan like me, with a bunch of their songs on his channel, alongside Iron Maiden. Although Iron Demon considers himself an "intermediate guitarist", in my book he's an expert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5mQNir ... FyIGNvdmVy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0xnn4m ... FyIGNvdmVy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUbfXHS ... Y292ZXI%3D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jKcKGP ... Y292ZXI%3D)

(Here is Riktor's Archives page...https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/ ... BCck/75389)

Last edited by CHAIRTHROWER on Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:12 pm 

Also want to say I dug nightbreaker33's Heavy Metal 2 album; it took me surprise though, I didn't expect it to be that heavy!

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:57 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Also want to say I dug nightbreaker33's Heavy Metal 2 album; it took me surprise though, I didn't expect it to be that heavy!

Hey man, I'm glad you liked the album!! I tried to make an album with very short heavy metal songs like you see there are electronic music albums with 30 second songs. I saw that 30 seconds wouldn't work, so I timed them to about 1 minute. I recorded guitars and bass for one of Hercules instrumentals for the upcoming album. That song is honestly breathtaking!!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 516, 517, 518, 519, 520, 521, 522  Next