Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:12 am 

Man, this was like reading an entire review in itself! Justice is my favorite Metallica record, and no less, Frayed is actually my favorite track from said record! As great as it is, it certainly isn't OVERLY complex (hell, even I can play the rhythm section). Would be cool if they'd do the whole thing live.

Also, kinda wish 18 year old me would have come up with a better username. "Sweetie" is actually a step up, at least there's no numbers, haha.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:50 am 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
Also, kinda wish 18 year old me would have come up with a better username. "Sweetie" is actually a step up, at least there's no numbers, haha.

14 year old me thought BastardHead was a really clever Motorhead reference and now 27 year old me just cringes whenever somebody in real life asks where they can find my reviews. All teenagers are bad!
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:00 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
SweetLeaf95 wrote:

14 year old me thought BastardHead was a really clever Motorhead reference and now 27 year old me just cringes whenever somebody in real life asks where they can find my reviews. All teenagers are bad!

Pff, OzzyApu was so badass to 11-year old me when I chose it as my msn chat name. 16yo me was retarded for using it on this site. I don't even watch Simpsons.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:04 pm 

At least 11 and 14 are younger teens/pre-teens. I shoulda known how dumb mine sounded at 18! Especially seeing it kinda makes me sound like a stoner, which I'm not. I was just obsessed with that Sabbath song at the time.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:24 pm 

My name is a mix of Sub Zero from Mortal Kombat and my first name. My dad came up with it when I was 11, and that's primarily why I keep it. My email address, however, is a horribly outdated Slipknot reference from high school that I'm too lazy to change because almost everything I have online is linked to that email, and I'm too lazy to switch it all over.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:46 pm 

My username is literally... my name. Wish I could change it, 'cause my identity is pretty obvious now.

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:54 pm 

Lel, mine is highly influenced by megalomania and north/germanic mythology. "Pagan" should be obvious, "-ius" as a royal sounding ending and "I" as the roman numeral for 1, so technically my name is pronounced "Paganius the First" (ruler of all pagans).

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:32 pm 

Lyric from Slayer's War Ensemble. I love classic Slayer and all, but I can't say I'm that attached to them.

Kinda feel like more than half of us would change our usernames if we could.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:57 pm 

I've gathered that now, although I really like yours. I recognized the Slayer reference first time I ever saw it.

Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:35 pm 

Mine is just my usual pen name when I write stuff (originally it was for music and books because my name would suck on the cover). It's a mix between Helloween's current singer Andi (Andreas) Deris and Helloween and Gamma Ray's guitarist and founder Kai Hansen. I still quite like this name although I wouldn't be sure to still keep it. A real pseudonym would be nice but I'm too lazy to create one.

Else it's quite interesting to see the origin of your nickname guys haha.

Tunes of Steel - Reviews and writing stuff website. Latest: Paradox - Pangea
Metalhertz, French Youtube radio channel

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:51 pm 

Mine's a reference to a creature from the first Genso Suikoden game on PS1, encountered during the mission in Neclord's castle (and the most powerful non-boss creature encountered in said level). I kinda liked the name of the creature given its contradictory nature and also its close proximity with the Nightmare, which was my favorite creature card from my Magic The Gathering enthusiast days.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:22 pm 

I agree, Andreas! Keep 'em coming people! At least until another amazingly good, or a horrible and BAFFLING review comes upon the radar, haha.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:38 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
I agree, Andreas! Keep 'em coming people! At least until another horrible and BAFFLING TrooperEd review comes upon the radar, haha.

Fixed that for you.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:59 pm 

Dude, that took me a solid minute to realize what you did!

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:49 am 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
At least 11 and 14 are younger teens/pre-teens. I shoulda known how dumb mine sounded at 18! Especially seeing it kinda makes me sound like a stoner, which I'm not. I was just obsessed with that Sabbath song at the time.

It depends on where you're using that username. I think a site dedicated to metal nerds such as this one, 99.99% of its members would relate that name to being a Sabbath fan before being a stoner. As far as using a number, at least you didn't use SweetLeaf420. :-D

Doom Metal Alchemist is a username I created in 2005 for the Adult Swim board to denote my then love of the anime Fullmetal Alchemist (which Adult Swim was showing at the time), the debut Minotauri album (containing a song called Doom Metal Alchemy) and the doom metal genre in general. Since creating this username, I usually use stuff like DMA or DMA83 for other purposes. I've generally moved on from Fullmetal Alchemist (and anime in general) and Minotauri, but I'm still an avid doom metal fan.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:46 am 

Two things that will instantly derail any forum thread without fail: 1) Discussing how tall you are, and 2) the origin of your username.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:18 am 

:lol: Sorry I took part in this so I assume it.

Actually I wanted to give a shout to bayern for his review of Theater of Tragedy's Aégis. Its length quite impressed me. It is clear that this album was a huge step in music for him.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:35 am 

Agreed, he always pulls off really long reviews.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:02 pm 

Andreas_Hansen wrote:
Actually I wanted to give a shout to bayern for his review of Theater of Tragedy's Aégis. Its length quite impressed me. It is clear that this album was a huge step in music for him.

I didn't follow his writings on a regular basis, but that one is actually the first one of his reviews I enjoyed reading for some reason. Did he improve that much or was I just blind (or did my german instincts get triggered by his username)?

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:05 pm 

Andreas_Hansen wrote:
:lol: Sorry I took part in this so I assume it.

Thanks man. Well, it's one of those albums that don't belong to either of the genres you listen to on regular bases; and yet it sticks with you and becomes an addictive listen... for reasons you can't really explain. Still listen to it every other week.

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:20 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
I'd always assumed he was a bit younger, early 20s at least. The venom he possesses for stuff like grunge and 90s Metallica has that distinct "I wasn't really around it and hate it because I feel I'm supposed to" air to it.

But I wasn't around for grunge and 90s rock and it works the opposite way for me. We know from how things have turned out that it didn't kill or even really harm metal as people seem to have thought, and as a result, well, I like grunge personally. Hell, my favourite album is a duel between Facelift and Apple by Mother Love Bone (which I think Apple marginally edges). Not saying you're wrong, but if anyone actually feels like that, then that's.... retarded, to be honest.

And I've just realised: AJFA a bassy album? what the fucking fuck. The thing it's literally most well known for is its lack of bass. How is that even.... there is no way that statement wasn't made with the sole intention of being edguy.

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:21 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
I'd always assumed he was a bit younger, early 20s at least. The venom he possesses for stuff like grunge and 90s Metallica has that distinct "I wasn't really around it and hate it because I feel I'm supposed to" air to it.

But I wasn't around for grunge and 90s rock and it works the opposite way for me. We know from how things have turned out that it didn't kill or even really harm metal as people seem to have thought, and as a result, well, I like grunge personally. Hell, my favourite album is a duel between Facelift and Apple by Mother Love Bone (which I think Apple marginally edges). Not saying you're wrong, but if anyone actually feels like that, then that's.... retarded, to be honest.

And I've just realised: AJFA a bassy album? what the fucking fuck. The thing it's literally most well known for is its lack of bass. How is that even.... there is no way that statement wasn't made with the sole intention of being edguy.

EDIT: being EDGY, not a power metal band.

EDIT 2: ooookay, accidentally skipped a page so precisely none of this is relevant to present conversation. Apologies :-D

Last edited by Deathdoom1992 on Tue May 22, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:41 pm 

PaganiusI wrote:
I didn't follow his writings on a regular basis, but that one is actually the first one of his reviews I enjoyed reading for some reason. Did he improve that much or was I just blind (or did my german instincts get triggered by his username)?

Well, I sincerely hope you didn't enjoy it that much; otherwise you may as well read some other reviews of mine. And this is when you can really go blind, you see... or become a most avid Bayern fan if you're not one already.

Who knows, maybe we can start going to matches together soon... I often visit Munchen; for matches, for the fan club gatherings... for esoteric pagan rituals in the mountains nearby as well.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:47 pm 

Rereading the first paragraph for that review, I did notice that I didn't leave any qualifiers or concessions saying that people are right to complain about a lack of bass on the album. Which yes, is totally fine. I just didn't make any mention of it because it was something that had been discussed to death. Just that to my ears, the warbling bass frequencies made up for a lack of a proper bass guitar sound so I didn't notice anything was really "off." If you hate Justice's production, cool. Do I think the album should be remixed with Jason mixed into the volume everyone wants him at? Sure. But judging how long those lazy fucks have been putting off that supposed remix for I'm not gonna hold my breath for it, even to come out this year for the 30th anniversary. I mean we're practically halfway there already and nothing's been announced.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:03 am 

TrooperEd: There is actually a video of it on Youtube titled "And Justice For Jason", if you're curious.

That "Love At First Sting" review by bayern was pretty fun. I will admit, one thing that I try to avoid that this does a lot of is talk about the score. I like to be able to change the percentage sometimes without having to re-write, since the description won't change, and the score is ultimately a number based on my opinion, not really the music itself. Although I'm glad to see others are willing to give one band multiple 100%s (like I did with a few of theirs). Way I see it, if it's flawless, then it gets 100%, no harm done.

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:25 am 

Really been enjoying your Scorpions reviews, SweetLeaf! There's a band I'm ashamed to admit I've almost completely neglected; I've only heard their most well-known hits from Blackout and Love at First Sting. Your writeups have me wanting to check out more of their stuff, In Trance especially.

Also, shoutout to Andreas_Hansen for a splendid review of Riot Squad. That album is a goddamn beast, and it really is down to its almost-nonstop impulsion, like Andreas said. Paradox is bafflingly consistent.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:08 am 

Thank you so much! That's definitely a great one to start on. Also digging your Tokyo Blades ones, I've never listened to them but I'll certainly check them out now!

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:05 pm 

I’m just here to say that Twisted_Psychology’s title for his review of the new Sergeant Thunderhoof album got a legit spittake from me. So yeah, read it in its entirety, and then go check out the album because both are exceptional, and he’s right.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:24 pm 

Tanuki wrote:
Really been enjoying your Scorpions reviews, SweetLeaf! There's a band I'm ashamed to admit I've almost completely neglected; I've only heard their most well-known hits from Blackout and Love at First Sting. Your writeups have me wanting to check out more of their stuff, In Trance especially.

Also, shoutout to Andreas_Hansen for a splendid review of Riot Squad. That album is a goddamn beast, and it really is down to its almost-nonstop impulsion, like Andreas said. Paradox is bafflingly consistent.

Thanks man, I totally agree with you! I like every single album of them (maybe excepted the first one), they all are quite different, that makes this band my favorite thrash metal band.

Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:57 pm 

And I double-post sorry but shoutout to BastardHead for his Horrorscope review, shoutout for the huge and very nitpicky information, shoutout for the fact that it's a very nice Diamhea's tribute and most of all shoutout for THIS:
BastardHead wrote:
and if you want to split hairs so finely that you're in danger of nuclear fission,

PorcupineOfDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:03 pm 

Came to say the same thing. BH's reviews are always entertaining, and this one is definitely a fitting tribute to Dia.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:38 pm 

Very excellent tribute, BH.

Also thanks for the shoutout, ModusOperandi.

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:02 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
TrooperEd: There is actually a video of it on Youtube titled "And Justice For Jason", if you're curious.

That "Love At First Sting" review by bayern was pretty fun. I will admit, one thing that I try to avoid that this does a lot of is talk about the score. I like to be able to change the percentage sometimes without having to re-write, since the description won't change, and the score is ultimately a number based on my opinion, not really the music itself. Although I'm glad to see others are willing to give one band multiple 100%s (like I did with a few of theirs). Way I see it, if it's flawless, then it gets 100%, no harm done.

Yeah, you're right, now that I'm looking at it again; it kind of spoils the fun a bit, this percentage rambling... Actually, I very seldom have thoughts about separate tracks and the percentage they weigh. I guess I'm looking for ways to justify my being not so euphoric about it anymore...

Your writings on the subject are by all means fun to read, yes. They're compact and concrete, not burdened by those nostalgic trips down memory lane that I attach to mine.

Last edited by bayern on Wed May 23, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:28 pm 

I was so cut up when I heard about Dia yesterday morning that I just listened to all of Seventh Son of a Seventh Son before going to work. The chorus of 'The Clairvoyant' and 'Only the Good Die Young' really stuck it home to me. He was an excellent guy, helped people and did what was right, plus dedicated a lot of time to this site. His presence will be sorely missed.

On the thread for the Summer Reviews Challenge, it has been suggested that this challenge (or all challenges?) be named in his honour. If you want to pay tribute to him, it would be a great way to show your support, as well as writing something for the challenge and making it one to remember.

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:25 pm 

Yes, BH's lofty write-up on "Horrorscope" pretty much depletes what can be said about this great album. A more than fitting tribute to the band and their devoted fan... rest in peace.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:08 am 

Great job BH on the eulogy/Overkill review. Chris always had my back here when it came to my reviews and it was he who scribed me. The man was a machine.....you did him justice!

Like your reviews?

Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:14 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
On the thread for the Summer Reviews Challenge, it has been suggested that this challenge (or all challenges?) be named in his honour. If you want to pay tribute to him, it would be a great way to show your support, as well as writing something for the challenge and making it one to remember.

I don't find this thread, in which section is it located?

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:30 am 

Andreas_Hansen wrote:
gasmask_colostomy wrote:

I don't find this thread, in which section is it located?

Here's the link:

https://www.metal-archives.com/board/vi ... 4&t=121134

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:46 am 

bayern: There's definitely nothing wrong with throwing those "trips down memory lane" in though. I enjoy hearing about people's encounters and discoveries with music.

I'm honestly surprised that I don't litter mine with that more than I do (I certainly used to). I'm way to social and talkative to keep them focused and somewhat formal, so thank you!

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:21 pm 

Re the 100% thing, I've yet to encounter a 100% album. Even Facelift and Apple, my all-time favourite albums aren't flawless. To me, mid to high 90s constitutes one of the best of all-time, and anything above 90 is one of my favourites.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 341, 342, 343, 344, 345, 346, 347 ... 521  Next