Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:48 pm 

Normally I can understand what you're talking about, but that kinda lost me. :)

Emptiness Cycle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:04 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
not even new things per se their stuff just as the character of a piece of cardboard left in a warehouse for 10 years

Did you run that through a translator several times or something?

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:09 pm 

Or through a few beers, maybe.

Emptiness Cycle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:13 pm 

The best way to forum, really.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:23 pm 

Even if I imagine that I have a punishing hangover, I can't quite make it out. Something like "It's metal you've already heard, just older, moldy, and chewed at by a couple of rats having used it for nesting."

Emptiness Cycle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:25 pm 

I'll be very upset if that phrase isn't used in someones review ad verboten by the end of the year.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:25 pm 

Emptiness Cycle wrote:
I'll be very upset if that phrase isn't used in someones review ad verboten by the end of the year.

There are new Masterplan and Anvil albums coming out this year. You might very well get your wish!

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:15 pm 

Elated to see Gutterscream cranking out the reviews this year; he's one of the few writers who's really great at integrating historical context and personal experience into his write-ups without falling prey to "get to the point" blues. Helps that his oddball writing style keeps things as far removed from Wikipedia articles as possible, which is how these usually go. Hope he keeps it up! :nods:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:35 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Emptiness Cycle wrote:

There are new Masterplan and Anvil albums coming out this year. You might very well get your wish!

Masterplan is such a trash band. I'm sure it would be easy to use it for them.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:57 am 

After hearing a(lmost a full) song of that Unleash the Archers band, I totally understand what tomcat means.

Also, I don't know if it was just the song I heard but man the vocalist pronounces words so weirdly. Lots of "ya" thrown into the middle of words. Time as "tyime," etc. It's awful and I have no fucking idea how she, the band, or their fans think it's okay.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:48 am 

Emptiness Cycle wrote:
tomcat_ha wrote:
not even new things per se their stuff just as the character of a piece of cardboard left in a warehouse for 10 years

Did you run that through a translator several times or something?

Nah, tomcat's filter is crippling autism!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:32 am 

Great review of the Rigor Mortis debut, Gutterscream. I know I'm just a wacky guy on the Internet but my condolences for your loss.

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:14 am 

That was indeed great. I like Gutterscream's reviews a lot, they're really articulate yet still human and down-to-earth. I'm also sorry for your loss, Gutterscream.

I've noticed the lack of reviews for new releases too. I think it could be partially assuaged if the request-a-review thread got a little more love?

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:20 am 

Rigor Mortis' S/T was one of my Six Essential 80's Albums I listed when I got my first CD player back in 1992, and subsequently bought no matter what the price tag on them. It's an important piece of work for me personally, and Gutterscream does a good job on it (once again, naturally). Thanks, dude!

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:56 am 

everyone knows that being understandable is not kvlt or krieg

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:52 pm 

Thanks to all of you for offering condolences for my uncle as well as remarks about the review. He was one of those guys full of both kinds of information: useless and useful, and he'd be the guy rattling off the differences between sweet potatoes and yams right there in the supermarket to a crowd of about six actually interested people not for the attention, but merely because an employee told him they were basically the same. More importantly, he grew up during an era of music I still wish more than anything I could've witnessed - the '60s, of course - when there was an actual logjam of future legends of music when they were still largely approachable. He was a big Hendrix fan, as well as Cream, Clapton, Dylan, The Grateful Dead, The Who, The Stones, Jefferson Airplane and Santana (groups that defined the time period where our musical interests intersect), and was one of the few people I know who understood why The (Paul) Butterfield Blues Band got into the R&R Hall of Fame. He was also heavily into jazz, blues and lots of other more specialized styles.

As for the review, not my best, but I've always been my worst critic. And I chuckled at Metal Detector's description of my writing style as 'oddball', which I think is perfect. Nappy - whenever the album comes up I think of you. Rigor Mortis, Blind Illusion's Sane Asylum and Metallica's Master of Puppets where you manage to squeeze Miami Vice, Chernobyl, the Challenger explosion, the C-cupped secretary in your dad's office, and The Kennedy assassination into its sixty seven paragraph exposition. Those of you who haven't read his review, get over there pronto.

Trying to wrangle enough patience to give Twisted Sister's Come Out and Play my two cents, and I'm pretty sure I may have gone overboard with my personal history as well as the adventures of Harvey the motorist in the review of Stay Hungry, but hey.
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:50 pm 

Gutterscream wrote:
Those of you who haven't read his review, get over there pronto.

Before I move on, my condolences also. It always sucks to see valued ones go, plain and simple. So sorry for so sudden a loss.

*moment of silence*

First, I'm looking forward to you reviewing Twisted Sister.

It's a special moment for me as a doughboy when veterans of the sonic wars declare albums I've never heard of to be vital (the same happened with The Sane Asylum a couple years ago after reading Napero's praise -- what the fuck? Les and Ler are in this band? I'd listened to Primus devoutly in high school, Frizzle Fry literally daily on my Walkman, but never looked into the discographies of the artists god damn my adolescence).

I really like the personal history you include in your reviews, and it's reviews like yours that make me recommend the inclusion of personal experience to writers in the Workshop. It isn't the fact that Rigor Mortis off-roads all over the heads of more famous bands, splashing their famous bodies all over like a road-racer plowing through the audience on the outside of the curve, but how fuckin' jazzed you are by it that makes me want to get my hand on it asap. The phrases "gruff, angry madman vocals" and "land speed record-holding riffage" are winners. But arranging the laurels for the champion of a cause with even the most earnest compliments is somehow pale compared to having those compliments put into a personal context. Your uncle gave you that album. Little did you know, this mind-blossoming war wagon was sitting there in patient stasis. I also really enjoy how equal your praises for the album are with Napero's, but how entierly different the reviews are. Thanks to both him and you, and to your willingness to offer a window into the life of the person who gained much from the work, I'm very much looking forward to hearing this album for the first time.

I hadn't read Napero's Master of Puppets, and I see what you mean. It's really interesting (and more than a little relieving) to hear about another person for whom Metallica was an essentially single-handed and damn near explosive gateway experience. It wasn't MoP for me, but the black album, but just as in his review I remember exactly where I was when it happened. I was in junior high in '91, heading to my grandmother's house, and I even remember the bump and drift of the three point turn we made in the driveway as I had a deliciously wild, epiphanous smile on my face. It literally changed my life in the span of a single album. What a strange experience. Master of Puppets, once I eventually heard it, I liked much better (HOW CAN THIS BAND GET BETTER!? I agogged to myself) of course Ride the Lightning was still then in my listening future. So yeah, that review definitely brought back some memories.

His general contextual history and the refutation of the MoP downplaying/hate is great, too. I've always like that album and every time I hear it, even when I've been away from it for a while and started to get seduced into thinking that modern-era Metallica is all they can be judged for or I'm reminded of how much their name fucking sucks, I hear it again and I'm persistently engaged. And I agree, it's not perfect, it's not the very best, but even so that era of Metallica kicks ass mainly because of how many times those albums can be played and enjoyed with some light wear on the cover and some underlining and highlighting having been left by other bands who checked it out of the library over and over. Ride the Lightning is almost startlingly good, and made even more so by how much I dislike their more recent stuff (having not heard the latest album at time of writing). Legendary because it became legendary, indeed. And also because it's just a strong album and for some reason it's no longer cool to admit that simple fact -- like it costs them something to praise good work. fuckin haters, man.

And Napero, I will never refuse chicken wings (unless I'm feverish or if I'm so full I'll puke).

Emptiness Cycle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:29 am 

I hadn't seen the review but my sincere condolences.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:10 pm 

Not wrong.

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:43 pm 

It takes some serious balls to play another band's album live, record it, and then sell it to your audience. I can't understand doing something like that while that band is still alive, touring, and releasing new music.

At least with Carl Orff doing Carmina Burana, the composers had been dead for centuries, at least with a Christmas cover album a bunch of different musicians enter the studio, at least with a cover or two at the end of an album it shows some homage after creating one's own sound, but this Dream Theater instance just seems so blatantly absurd on paper that it must be tongue in cheek. It's one thing to pay for a show, I saw Badfish do Sublime's first album in full one night and it was a fun time for cheap, but to me that Dream Theater tribute takes things too far.

Was Metallica okay with this situation? Anyone else have other instances like this?

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:57 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
I was in junior high in '91.

This right here is the reason why Napero's review (and to an extremely large extent the entire "Master of Puppets introduced the mainstream to thrash" argument) falls flat on its face. Ok so it sold a million copies in a year without airplay or video. That's not mainstream recognition, rather the exact opposite. Master of Puppets went platinum in 1986 for the exact same reason Far Beyond Driven hit #1 in the Billboard pop charts: Momentum and marketing. Metallica didn't introduce shit to the mainstream in 1986. The mainstream might have heard the name Metallica, but they damn sure couldn't tell you which song was Damage Inc. and which song was Sanitarium. They could however, tell you which song was Welcome To The Jungle and which song was Paradise City. Guns N Roses was mainstream. Metallica didn't reach that level until the Black album, and as a result of the album's change in musical sound, that would prompt a lot of the old thrasher fans to tell the Enter Sandman newcomers that the real Metallica was Master of Puppets. THAT is where Master of Puppets so called legendary status came from and nothing, NOTHING else. Hell the only reason Napero probably heard Master of Puppets on the radio in his review was because of the name brand recognition. "Who's this?" "Metallica" "Is this Master of Puppets?" "Yea man!" "Turn it up, man." The masses are stupid, fuck them. On the subject of "trying to explain the merits of Dark Angel, etc." you could probably play these people Disciples of the Watch or Alone In The Dark, tell em its something from Kill Em All and they wouldn't know the difference.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:16 pm 

TrooperEd wrote:
Guns N Roses was mainstream. Metallica didn't reach that level until the Black album, and as a result of the album's change in musical sound, that would prompt a lot of the old thrasher fans to tell the Enter Sandman newcomers that the real Metallica was Master of Puppets. THAT is where Master of Puppets so called legendary status came from and nothing, NOTHING else.

I... can never understand you, you're like the most inconsistent dude on the site when it comes to having really deep understanding of context and alternately making total noob mistakes that a 16 year old in a thrasher costume would make. Metallica was opening for Ozzy in 86. Ozzy was a big fucking deal in the mid 80s, they got a lot of exposure from that. They were nominated for a grammy after Justice, a nomination that is so infamous because the joke was that they introduced the metal category specifically for Metallica, only for Jethro Tull to win. Maybe they weren't the unstoppable cultural tour de force on the level of GNR until the Black Album but to pretend they weren't anything special to the general music public before then is just flat out baffling. Unless you're claiming that mainstream radio listeners are posers, in which case duh
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:43 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Metallica was opening for Ozzy in 86. Ozzy was a big fucking deal in the mid 80s, they got a lot of exposure from that.

You are absolutely correct. However, once again this falls under marketing and momentum. Whichever album they were touring for was completely immaterial. Imagine if Ozzy had taken out Metallica in 1983 instead of Motley Crue. They could have been touring Kill Em All (or put out Scream Bloody Gore) and the same net result exposure increase would have occurred, at least without radio-play or making a music video for MTV. Which still wasn't all that much. That Grammy nominaton you mentioned, that was because of the One video.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:50 pm 

OK, let's discuss this a bit. But not in length, it might turn boring.

TrooperEd wrote:
This right here is the reason why Napero's review (and to an extremely large extent the entire "Master of Puppets introduced the mainstream to thrash" argument) falls flat on its face. Ok so it sold a million copies in a year without airplay or video. That's not mainstream recognition, rather the exact opposite. Master of Puppets went platinum in 1986 for the exact same reason Far Beyond Driven hit #1 in the Billboard pop charts: Momentum and marketing. Metallica didn't introduce shit to the mainstream in 1986.

And this runs counter to my argument... how, exactly? Right. In no way.

TrooperEd wrote:
The mainstream might have heard the name Metallica, but they damn sure couldn't tell you which song was Damage Inc. and which song was Sanitarium. They could however, tell you which song was Welcome To The Jungle and which song was Paradise City. Guns N Roses was mainstream. Metallica didn't reach that level until the Black album, and as a result of the album's change in musical sound, that would prompt a lot of the old thrasher fans to tell the Enter Sandman newcomers that the real Metallica was Master of Puppets. THAT is where Master of Puppets so called legendary status came from and nothing, NOTHING else.

Of course they didn't turn into Guns'n'roses, don't be silly. But they have the metal monolith status they still enjoy despite their best efforts to ruin it for the past quarter of a century precisely because of MoP. No one would have given a rat's ass about the Black Album, weren't it because of the hype on what to expect. It's a crappy album, with a few radio-friendly tunes that got a shitton of airplay only because Metallica had the reputation and made an interesting career turn at that point. Nothing after Puppets is notable enough to have made them an interesting phenomenon, and unfortunately that includes their best album, Justice. There were plenty of radio-worthy bands at the time with albums better than Black. It's crap, and would have been buried by anything by Van Halen released in the same six-year time bracket, had it not been for the reputation gained with MoP.

TrooperEd wrote:
Hell the only reason Napero probably heard Master of Puppets on the radio in his review was because of the name brand recognition. "Who's this?" "Metallica" "Is this Master of Puppets?" "Yea man!" "Turn it up, man." The masses are stupid, fuck them. On the subject of "trying to explain the merits of Dark Angel, etc." you could probably play these people Disciples of the Watch or Alone In The Dark, tell em its something from Kill Em All and they wouldn't know the difference.

Ummm... So I only heard and recognized Master of Puppets on the radio in 1986 because the Black Album is so cool? AmIgettingthisright? W00t?

Also, I don't know where exactly you live, and I don't care. In Finland it was on the radio and got airplay, and most people under 48 I know do indeed recognize the album's songs. I wouldn't recognize Hank Williams from the same years, but maybe you in Wyoming would. And I wrote on my personal experience; what was yours at the time?

And if you make a few hundred million bucks with your music, you're mainstream. They were already pretty well off after the success and tour of MoP. I submit the idea that they would have amounted to nothing, had it not been for the exact widespread name-recognition they got with Master of Puppets. Because the Black Album is so middle-of-the-road and boring that it would have become a forgotten piece of mainstream crap without MoP, despite its forced catchiness after 20 repeats.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:59 pm 

Napero wrote:
In Finland it was on the radio and got airplay, and most people under 48 I know do indeed recognize the album's songs.

I could address this one by one but this right here explains everything. "Mainstream" doesn't count unless its American (maybe, maybe British) radio. That million copies in a year was American platinum. That's why that feat was impressive and why many people laud favor to it (or at least the ones that take record sales seriously, I know plenty who don't. Especially with regards to the Black Album) There is not a snowball's chance in hell Master of Puppets or any of its tracks were played on American mainstream radio in 1986, especially not a genre free format like you stated in your review. And lord knows they tried with that single version of Master of Puppets. College radio and two-bit local metal radio shows absolutely but those aren't mainstream. Just about any small time band can go platinum/get huge in other smaller countries. "Big In Japan/Big In Europe" is a joke to Americans for a reason. I don't like it either but its the truth. If you want to say American music public are a bunch of fucking idiots that's more than ok by me, but you can't make a claim that Master of Puppets was mainstream.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:09 pm 

TrooperEd wrote:
"Mainstream" doesn't count unless its American (maybe, maybe British) radio... ..."Big In Japan/Big In Europe" is a joke for a reason. I don't like it either but its the truth.

I think we can end the discussion right here. Maybe you should take a look outside of Wyoming at some point in your life.

Sheesh...

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:11 pm 

Napero wrote:
TrooperEd wrote:
"Mainstream" doesn't count unless its American (maybe, maybe British) radio... ..."Big In Japan/Big In Europe" is a joke for a reason. I don't like it either but its the truth.

I think we can end the discussion right here. Maybe you should take a look outside of Wyoming at some point in your life.

Sheesh...

I've lived outside of Wyoming, matter of fact, never even been inside Wyoming during my whole life. So thanks for proving me right.

Addendum: Just because the gears in my head are still turning, and you're Finnish, let me ask you this: Nightwish fans like to throw around that Nightwish are "international superstars." If that's the case Why are Nightwish playing places like the Palladium, the Electric Factory, the Agora Ballroom and some other 1000 seaters here in the states, despite I’m sure being the biggest goddamn A-listers in Finland (hell I think Floor Jansen was on some gigantic skyscraper poster for eyeliner)? America is/was the biggest entertainment commercial market on the planet and if you aren’t huge to them you aren’t huge. Hell its why Judas Priest more or less abandoned Britain to go work the US.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:34 pm 

1) Nightwish is not Metallica.
2) Nightwish sure as hell is mainstream here, come and take a look. The band members, including Turunen, keep appearing in gossip magazines and going on talk shows.
3) I don't give a rat's ass about fanatic Nightwish fans' opinions on their favourite band's status.That goes for the fans of Radiohead, Dead Can Dance, Alphaville and pretty much anything.

USA is a big market, but it isn't the only one. The reason it is so important has more to do with its influence on the other markets, and that translates to sales all over the world, not just in the USA. You can't say the same for Japan, of course, but I have a feeling the influence of the USA will wane in the coming decades. The internet and the lack of geographical focus of the entertainment industry of the future will see to that.

As I wrote, I wrote from my own perspective. Is that a difficult concept for you? Sure, you have a huge market... but what if I don't give a fuck about that?

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:02 pm 

My point is "The bus driver, probably something like thirty or forty years old, and as far from a metalhead as anyone without a walker can be, had the radio on, and there it was, in the middle of the easy-listen radio show, a ruthless piece of thrash" in Finland is not the same mainstream success/influence circumstances as it is in America. Although somehow I never noticed until now that you do mention that this did in fact take place in Finland and not America. Europe and Japan are oh so slightly friendlier to metal than in the US.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:35 pm 

Myopic Americanocentrism; giving decent, non-dumb Americans a bad name since fucking forever.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:52 pm 

TrooperEd wrote:
I've lived outside of Wyoming, matter of fact, never even been inside Wyoming during my whole life. So thanks for proving me right.

Wow, well that one really flew over your head.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:37 pm 

Again, TrooperEd gets stuck in a hopeless argument with someone who knows what they're talking about. You're trying a bit too hard.

For what it's worth, Europe comprises a significantly larger demographic than US, or North America in general.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:17 pm 

Each time TrooperEd is arguing about one of his incorrect opinions, he digs himself another hole. He's probably near China right now, a country where people don't even know Metallica.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

WR95
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:33 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ity/412669 :/ :/ :/ :/

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:05 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... r_4/279343

Jesus christ, the formatting and the wording. There are repeatedly completely vague adjectives like "incredible," "admirable," "marvelous." The only more specific description is "power metal band," "complex," and "intricate epic." All of those are still relatively vague descriptions. Honestly I'm kind of surprised this got accepted, I don't know if there is a slightly lower standard for live albums since most fans will already know the songs from studio albums, which would be understandable. The writing isn't terrible, but jeez use some specific description, I didn't get any information in this review that I couldn't also get by the track listing and the fact that it's a live Blind Guardian album.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

DesecratorJ
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:43 pm 

WR95 wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Burzum/Hvis_lyset_tar_oss/413048/Unholy_Darkness_And_Impurity/412669 :/ :/ :/ :/

Omg that's blasphemous, it's rather a masterpiece imo lol

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:01 pm 

So yeah, that new Burzum review sucks. It's a review of a black metal album as if it was written by someone that doesn't actually listen to black metal. Not surprising since he recommended this thing as a superior listen instead:

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:29 pm 

My trollsense is tingling with that one.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:08 am 

Napero wrote:
There were plenty of radio-worthy bands at the time with albums better than Black. It's crap

It is! That's probably the weirdest part of looking back on my revelation. I didn't know it was crap at the time, of course. I'm actually really envious that you had a pretty similar experience with much better music. It was basically like losing my ignorant, awkward virginity during some over-caffeinatd self-conscious sex with a mid-tier lover that only seemed great because I didn't know any better. Right place, right time, and very soon overshadowed by much better sex. I mean albums.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:40 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Again, TrooperEd gets stuck in a hopeless argument with someone who knows what they're talking about. You're trying a bit too hard.

For what it's worth, Europe comprises a significantly larger demographic than US, or North America in general.

No.

So what?

Metantoine wrote:
Each time TrooperEd is arguing about one of his incorrect opinions, he digs himself another hole. He's probably near China right now, a country where people don't even know Metallica.

Which is why they recently played there in a large arena, right? You sir, just spoke an incorrect opinion.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 313, 314, 315, 316, 317, 318, 319 ... 520  Next