Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
aidane154
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:23 pm 

My own personal orbitball moment was reading the recent Obituary cause of death live review. Not much on the actual album, but sentences upon sentences about how Ken Andrews is not James Murphy, also mentions Destruction's "live album" for comparison, but immediately backtracks and says it doesn't count (then why bring it up??). Also, Orbit has only a handful of reviews under 70% (like 20) but TONS of 90s-100s ratings. I also don't mean to say that Orbit is a bad person or that their reviews are bad, just that I too have noticed the oddities people are discussing here.

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:35 am 

I get a kick out of Orbitball reviews, as I invariably picture a heavy metal loving senior who's old enough to be my Mom...although you never know with profiles. I think I remember seeing one where they said they're over 100. Then again, there's no reason this killer site shouldn't be around in 2077, Cyperpunk style.

aidane154
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:27 am 

hey chair props to you on that mercyful fate review, love their 90s stuff, very overlooked

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:30 pm 

Thanks! Oh, how's it going out in Baldur(bop)land?...I'm presently having a blast with unsung sleeper gem The Saboteur, even if it does get a bit too intense at times, even on "normal".

aidane154
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:32 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Thanks! Oh, how's it going out in Baldur(bop)land?...

I took a quick break, then got really into the side quests when I came back. I'm just about completed the act 3 ones I wanted to do, now finishing out the Raphael questline then finally covering Gortash and the brain

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:52 pm 

Awesome. I'd started an "evil" tactician playthrough with my friend but half way through, we sort of dropped off in favour of, wait for it, Tiny Tina's Wonderland, which is a lot of fun. I'm also digging The Witcher 2 as I'd already started the third one too many times (then stopped abruptly) to have the heart to finally commit. This one, though, is cool in that old school late 2000s style of golden era gaming.

(Oh, yeah, that Rafael fiend is tough as Hell!)

...and I agree, the A side to The System Has Failed rules!

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:41 am 

Wow, solar eclipse today, and some of you lucky dogs are right in the path of totality...

aidane154
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:51 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Awesome. I'd started an "evil" tactician playthrough with my friend(...)dropped off in favour of, wait for it, Tiny Tina's Wonderland(...)also digging The Witcher 2(...)

(Oh, yeah, that Rafael fiend is tough as Hell!)

...and I agree, the A side to The System Has Failed rules!
(...)
Wow, solar eclipse today, and some of you lucky dogs are right in the path of totality...

Raphael was indeed tough, had to use Hope's divine intervention. Lawful/neutral Evil will be my next play, but the game takes a bit out of me cuz it's a big commitment so I'll likely take a break unless I can get some friends on board. Heard great things about TTW but don't know much about it. I've had Witcher 2 in my library for over a year and never opened it, I def should (i did try the first but it was a bit clunky). Yeah very underrated Megadeth, I agreed with a lot of what auto thrall said last month but had always wanted to make the cryptic writings comparison. Also, just saw the eclipse go fully total about 20 minutes ago, it was wild

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:50 am 

Good job of defeating that fiend! I agree, Baldur's Gate 3 isn't an easy game to get into (could never stand the prologue) and it only clicked for me once Mr.Mickzptlk - who's logged over 750 hours on the dang thing - held my hand through a first full chaotic-good playthrough, the crazy one where Shadowheart cheesed the end fight somewhat. As for Witcher 2, I've only good things to say about it, but kind of dropped off quickly once I realized how much time it would consume - time best used at Songsterr on the guitar. I'm having a blast right now with a couple of finger hopping Praying Mantis tracks, ones that haven't been covered to death over at the old tube. Oh yeah, TTW is very cool, but kind of mindless too, being a looter-shooter...If you ask me, it's much better than the actual Borderlands games, and shines best when played coop.

Megadeth is awesome; I've always had a lot of respect for Dave Mustaine; you should watch Gibson Icon's feature on him, it's great, as are the ones for Tony Iommi, Jerry Cantrell and Kirk Hammett. Actually, I'm slowly learning 99 Ways To Die, with its killer main riff, which blows my mind still, as it's a perfect example of Dave's wild and bluesy but twisted as Hell riffing style. This reminds me I should write a review for them soon. By the way, where are you situated down there? It's kind of funny that you happen to be one of those "lucky dogs"...(Finished Saboteur last night - what a gem!)

aidane154
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:27 pm 

Always loved the non-album Youthanasia tracks like that one, absolution, and especially Diadems, which I pretty much always add to the end (with absolution before reckoning day often as well). Even the more modern non album tracks like the led Zeppelin out on the tiles cover and black swan (OG version) from the United abomination sessions are cool. I live in central New Jersey (Monmouth county) so i was exaggerating when i said fully total, but still pretty close to the Lucky Dog zone. I watched the crescent disappear and go fully dark is what I meant

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:07 am 

That' pretty cool though; in 2017, Portland was swathed completely by one, and being in Vancouver, caught a bit of weird daytime twilight as well. I imagine our friend twist managed to glimpse it, as Indianapolis was smack dab in its totality path (and is also the title of a Vampyr song, random knowledge gleaned from Metal School)...Megadeth is so cool, really a coming of age band, particularly for Countdown and Youthanasia - I didn't quite surf wind to Rust In Peace until much later, once I was a more diligent metalhead. I'll review both sometime soon. (It will also give me a chance to honour a long estranged childhood friend who's favourite band was Megadeth, to the point where he nicknamed himself "Vic.") Alongside the wildly riffed 99 Ways To Die, I can't enough of No More Mister Nice Guy, albeit more of the original Alice Cooper version. Oh, and am also on a big Accept kick since watching Metal School's excellent feature on it yesterday. For some divine reason, the killer song from Blind Rage, "Dark Side Of My Heart", naturally agrees with my fingers, and I can play its rhythmic part at full speed, a real breakthrough! The solos are incredible, kind of Tank-ish (in a bluesy way) and hopefully learnable if enough time and effort are invested. Oh, yeah, and I dig newcomer's OSB2018's solid and honest No Prayer For The Dying review, to the point where I've made the oft maligned Maiden staple part of my listening homework.

lonerider
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:49 am 

I have to say I quite like OSB2018's maiden (sic!) review of No Prayer for the Dying. Not only because I agree with his verdict but also because of the sober way in which he presents it. Instead of trying to rile people up and get an emotional response he just makes a solid argument, which seems like an almost old-fashioned (meant in a positive way) approach nowadays.

I do believe, however, that the general opinion on No Prayer... has already started to shift in recent years and people now tend to view it in a much more positive and forgiving light than, say, 15 or even 30 years ago. The same, albeit not quite to the same extent as it was never quite as reviled as No Prayer..., applies to Fear of the Dark.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 18/1979021

aidane154
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:26 am 

Very much agree lonerider and Chair, I never understood the hatred for that album. Is it mid, and somewhat of a step down? sure, but not utter crap

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:38 am 

No Prayer is my least favorite Maiden album but I can always appreciate an alternate take that isn’t so defensive about it.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:41 am 

Oh yeah! Fear of the Dark is another life changing coming of age release from my youth which partially blew my mind back in the day, particularly the killer opener "Sois Rapide Ou Sois Mort" (haha!), which made me freak out when I first saw the cool MTV video with the axe men going nuts during its kick-ass solos. Thanks for bringing it up; I've now dual review plans for not only Megadeth, but Iron Maiden as well...Right now, I'm on a massive Obscure German Metal kick (courtesy of our studious pal Metal School) and currently wigging out to Fortuner's Two Sides of the Metal, for starters, with Saints Anger's Danger Metal lined up next...oh, and rock n roll wise, I'm digging Whitesnake's raunchily titled classic, Slide It In, from 1984. The song "Give Me More Time" (to get better at guitar) is another wicked addition to the songster song vault...Our other pal Majsai knocks one of the park though with his comprehensive "In The Still Of The Night" cover. I remember hearing that one on the radio when it came out as young lad - another "non-metal" gem worth scrutiny!

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:34 am 

NPFTD is a better album than some of its critics say, but there are two main problems with it: 1) the production is very basic and not in a good way, and 2) The Assassin is the worst Maiden song ever written. I also feel that the decision to go for a more stripped down and back to basics sound possibly wasn't the correct one, I think the progressive direction established on the previous two albums still had mileage in it.

Good to see a review giving it support, though.

aidane154
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:27 am 

Finally got to read Jophelerx's tripod review, totally agree with a lot of what was said, and the way he went in depth helped me understand the album a little better too. I resonate with what he said at the end, the whole "least listened to" bit. I marathoned it a couple times and it definitely can be a draining experience, but I'm glad I did because it finally grew on me

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:08 am 

Thanks for mentioning it! It's definitely an oddball in their catalog for me and as I said, took me the longest to get into. It's been interesting reviewing them because I've really only gotten into the band in the last couple years, despite knowing about them and having friends that were into them for a long time. That album especially I've only really dug as a whole for maybe a year, I feel like maybe that gives me a fresh(er) take on the band since I'm not really dealing with nostalgia as part of the listening process. They're a top favorite now and I've really enjoyed diving into them. Probably be a while before I spin that album again though, what a downer of a ride.

KaiKasparek wrote:
Every Ozzy solo up to No More Tears is essential USPM

Jophelerx wrote:
If you think heavy metal and USPM are the same, why use the term USPM at all?

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:49 am 

I'm eager (like an eagle) to dig Vulture's killer sounding Sentinels...

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:29 pm 

A token suggestion for all cool reviewers (particularly those whose handles start with a "V") to turn around with a brief spiel about further killer German band Tyran and its tight Tyran's Oath debut...as ears are occupied elsewhere with a handful of classics, known and unknown. Also I agree about Maiden's Live After Death; it sounds great on paper, but it's a textbook example of a tedious live album.

aidane154
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:59 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
I agree about Maiden's Live After Death; it sounds great on paper, but it's a textbook example of a tedious live album.

Yeah, I thought OSB was very fair to it with the opening paragraphs: but the fatal flaw of "this sounds cleansed of the live-ness" is hard to ignore, his score was reasonable.
great work for a new reviewer, optimistic about seeing new ones from OSB, (particularly a take on Anthrax, a band which he admits he's still trying to get into)

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:36 am 

aidane154 wrote:
great work for a new reviewer

Yeah it's nice to see new writers having different opinions from the norm, without however playing the 'you're all blind everyone is wrong except me' card. I respect that. Two very pleasant reads, also.

lonerider wrote:
Think I'm gonna go take a whiz through my fretboard now

It's the dawn of descending...

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:00 pm 

Trauma just curious if you review Infernal Storm…

Good work with the first three and glad that you have mentioned Ibex Moon….

Stay brutal

aidane154
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:45 am 

I was initially surprised about that new Youthanasia score, until I saw that Romanshitlord also gave Ride the lightning a 44.
I suppose popular metal is love it or hate it

lonerider
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:50 pm 

Holy cow ... This review is meant as a joke, right? I mean, it has to be?!

"This is a softer release from the band, even though they mix black metal with death metal. I'd have to conclude that they are a "milder" Necrophobic than I'm used to."

[...]

"I think from the first few listens to, they're much sharper in musicality and maturity. Some songs they'll be faster than other with an orchaschedrial than other songs. The leads are top notch. They really whiz through the fretboard with everything in unison."

[...]

"Can you grasp this total onslaught? I was able to and let's hope that they don't get softer, hopefully this will be their most mildest LP!"

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... all/216687

So what I'm able to glean from this is that this is Necrophobic's mildest and softest total onslaught ever, some songs are faster than others and some are more "orchaschedrial". Yeah, this makes total sense. Why can't more bands write orchaschedrial songs? Think I'm gonna go take a whiz through my fretboard now ...

lonerider
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:01 pm 

TheBurningOfSodom wrote:
aidane154 wrote:
great work for a new reviewer

Yeah it's nice to see new writers having different opinions from the norm, without however playing the 'you're all blind everyone is wrong except me' card. I respect that. Two very pleasant reads, also.

Couldn't agree more. While I may disagree with OSB2018's verdict - I view Live After Death as one of the best live albums of all time -, he makes a totally valid point. He's not trying to be contrarian just for the sake of pissing people off and the rating he gives it (60 %) reflects that; a solid release in his eyes, just not as phenomenal as most people think it is. Like I said: I may not share his opinion in this particular case, but I can absolutely see where OSB2018 is coming from.

This is definitely one of the more promising rookie reviewers in recent years.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 18/1979021

Feast for the Damned
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:40 am 

lonerider wrote:

"This is a softer release from the band, even though they mix black metal with death metal. I'd have to conclude that they are a "milder" Necrophobic than I'm used to."

[...]

"I think from the first few listens to, they're much sharper in musicality and maturity. Some songs they'll be faster than other with an orchaschedrial than other songs. The leads are top notch. They really whiz through the fretboard with everything in unison."

[...]

"Can you grasp this total onslaught? I was able to and let's hope that they don't get softer, hopefully this will be their most mildest LP!"

So what I'm able to glean from this is that this is Necrophobic's mildest and softest total onslaught ever, some songs are faster than others and some are more "orchaschedrial". Yeah, this makes total sense. Why can't more bands write orchaschedrial songs? Think I'm gonna go take a whiz through my fretboard now ...

He just keeps writing banger after banger, doesn't he?

I'll totally spend my money on CDs I can't even play.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:25 am 

lonerider wrote:

Thanks, this made me laugh infinitely more than it should have. :lol: :lol:

lonerider wrote:

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:55 am 

Forever Underground, loved the Miners review! I also forgot to mention I liked spot-on The_Bride_Wears_Black's write-up, although I think bro and friends will be happier with this one :lol: Thanks both for listening!

lonerider wrote:

lonerider
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:55 am 

Guess I'll have to binge-read some of Orbitball's reviews at some point. Stuff's pure comedy gold.

I kind of appreciate the passion he/she seems to have for metal though.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:01 am 

I love the Intimidator review, Feast! The whole racing shtick is instilling fond memories of The Saboteur...in which you engage in a number of high-octane, lamp post smashing circuits; the one in the prologue is really great, where you go head to head with the cheating Dirk Van Schneider or whatever this main villain's name was. I just added Intimidator's debut to my growing list of voyage tunes, for when I visit my folks next month in Montreal. (I'm wondering where Metantoine's been, as I want to ask him if he'd go see Night Demon with me...I've only one ticket so far but could always order another) As for Youthanasia, I was also taken aback by its recent (s)lacklustre score, but get how it rubs people the wrong way. Personally, it's a cornerstone of my youth due for appraisal soon.

Last edited by CHAIRTHROWER on Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Feast for the Damned
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:18 am 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
I love the Intimidator review, Feast! The whole racing shtick is instilling fond memories of The Saboteur...in which you engage in a number of high-octane, lamp post smashing circuits; the one in the prologue is really great, where you go head to head with the cheating Dirk Van Schneider or whatever this main villain's name was. I just added Intimidator's debut to my growing list of voyage tunes, for when I visit my folks next month in Montreal. (I'm wondering where Metantoine's been, I wanted to ask him if he'd go see Night Demon with me...I've only one ticket so far but could always order another) As for Youthanasia, I was also taken aback by its recent (s)lacklustre score, but get how it rubs people the wrong way. Personally, it's a cornerstone of my youth due for appraisal soon.

Thanks CHAIR! Means a lot you enjoyed that little write up. Probably going to be my last review for a while with exams/thesis getting too close for comfort, and with me trying to write fiction on the side lol. Can't say I've memories of The Saboteur outside of seeing it in stores as a kid, but it is on the to-do list!
lonerider wrote:
Guess I'll have to binge-read some of Orbitball's reviews at some point. Stuff's pure comedy gold.

I kind of appreciate the passion he/she seems to have for metal though.

You'll find he/she had different eras of Orbitball-isms(???). My personal favorite period was them ending every review with running a free ad for the band, trying to convince the reader to buy a CD.
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Cannibal_Corpse/Butchered_at_Birth/1525/Orbitball/216687

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:17 am 

lonerider wrote:

[...]

[...]

That why I stopped to read MA archives reviews…

It’s difficult for the folks and have my total respect but knowing how to read or write is not enough to be a reviewer…

Need4power have three reviews (two 0 one 92 for Louder than hell of Manowar)

This is Incantation most influential album

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... wer/324766

How a community can tolerate this?

I can’t….

and I'm completely disheartened
I know it's my Achilles heel

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:43 am 

Lee Harrison wrote:
Need4power have three reviews (two 0 one 92 for Louder than hell of Manowar)

I love Manowar, but how anyone can give Louder Than Hell a 92 is beyond me.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:13 am 

There's gotta be something about that Night Slasher album I'm missing... I gave up on it about halfway through out of sheer boredom. Which isn't exactly a known side effect of black/thrash, I suspect.

lonerider wrote:

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:16 am 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:

It's the last one that I care about at all, and even then I'd probably only give it like a 70% or something.

Feast for the Damned
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:30 pm 

Sweetie wrote:

It's the last one that I care about at all, and even then I'd probably only give it like a 70% or something.

That's a very generous score for something as lukewarm and as unenthusiastic as Louder Than Hell. Probably one of my least favorite heavy metal albums of all time with just how painfully it lacks any sort of energy. 92 is bordering on clinical insanity!

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:58 am 

Sweetie wrote:

IMO they definitely have better albums after it.... Gods of War is great if you love synths, and Warriors of the World is a much better more "standard" Manowar release.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:25 pm 

Feast for the Damned wrote:
Sweetie wrote:

That's a very generous score for something as lukewarm and as unenthusiastic as Louder Than Hell. Probably one of my least favorite heavy metal albums of all time with just how painfully it lacks any sort of energy. 92 is bordering on clinical insanity!

And almost a third of the album were leftovers from 1986...

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:27 am 

Lee Harrison wrote:
This is Incantation most influential album

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... wer/324766

I'm not sure this reviewer knows what death metal is.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 518, 519, 520, 521, 522  Next