Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:54 am 

I don't think I really discredited that, other than saying that one of the songs gets monotonous (and following that mentioned how it works well anyway).

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:19 am 

Congrats SweetLeaf95 for hitting 200 reviews today.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:42 pm 

Well shit man, I didn't even notice. Thank you!

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:45 pm 

Yes Congrats!

Oh, TP. I was hoping the Ritual you wrote up was the NWOBHM band from days of yore, but oh well...!

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:52 pm 

The review of Acid Drinkers' "Broken Head": the guys are Polish, not Dutch.

The way this guy had gotten it reminds me of the way I got the Turbo CD of "One Way" (1992), another Polish act; it was given me, just like that, by a guy I met during a festival in Germany in 1999. Strange how folks gladly get rid of these Polish bands...

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:01 pm 

Bayern likes Scorpions - Face The Heat a lot more than I do, haha. Good review though!

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:19 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
Bayern likes Scorpions - Face The Heat a lot more than I do, haha. Good review though!

Well, it's the last bastion from the classic Scorpions period, we've got to give it some credit... Give it another spin right now, will you! But make sure you skip the ballads.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:33 pm 

Thanks Dawg561 for your excellent Behemoth ILYAYD-review. Many things in there fit my personal view, even though I wouldn't give it a rating THAT high.

Finally someone acknowledges Inferno's EXCELLENT and highly variable drumming. He's probably been my favourite DM-drummer for a long time but the shifting and jazzing and punk-ish attitudes on ILYAYD are very, very impressive on a different level.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:05 pm 

Maidenfan1996 probably wrote the best Ghost review I've see on here, including my own (since I'll admit I'm a bit one sided with it). All of the negative criticisms are drawn from exactly what is there musically, instead of just going off about how it sucks because it isn't really metal. It's the least "one sided" one I've seen yet. I'm curious as to what he thinks about the black album or Rainbow's "Down To Earth".

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:03 am 

The Ironflame review of "Tales of Splendor and Sorrow": the name of the guitar player participating there is Jim Dofka, not James.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:03 am 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
Maidenfan1996 probably wrote the best Ghost review I've see on here, including my own (since I'll admit I'm a bit one sided with it). All of the negative criticisms are drawn from exactly what is there musically, instead of just going off about how it sucks because it isn't really metal. It's the least "one sided" one I've seen yet. I'm curious as to what he thinks about the black album or Rainbow's "Down To Earth".

lol are you serious? In terms of the review itself, it's fine, I'd accept it as a solid 5 pointer, but to call that the best one on the site (while also namedropping your own review for some really bizarre reason) is just silly. Pretty much every other review for Prequelle says the exact same thing this one does. If there's any real difference, it's that this one is the only one that invokes Mercyful Fate for some reason, which is either uninformed or misguided because Ghost do not, have not, and likely will not ever sound like Mercy. Unless the only factors that matter are lyrics about satan and a high pitched clean vocalist with facepaint, that's a stretch even Mr. Fantastic would have to raise an eyebrow at.

I get it, you're a big Ghost fan and you get salty when people don't like pop influence. Ghost is not persecuted. There are like maybe two reviews that imply pop influence is always bad. Sometimes people just aren't gonna like what you like.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:08 am 

My review definitely doesn't just talk about how Meliora is bad because of the non-metal influences. Instead I say it's bad because the songwriting is bereft of any kind of quality or interesting factors.

And yeah, I never understood the Mercyful Fate comparison - they're really completely different bands.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:03 pm 

Empy: Wrong album, man. I actually didn't know you wrote one for Meliora. I'll have to check that out then.

BH: Structurally it definitely wasn't the best, but I meant more of the fact that it called out the problems he had without acting like it's total shit. The pop influences were just the biggest example. Maybe I'm being a bit biased myself *shrugs*. If me namedropping my review is "bizarre" to you, then I don't know what to tell you.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:32 pm 

You said best Ghost review in general so I figured you meant of all the albums.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:57 pm 

Poor wording on my part. I meant for Prequelle, my bad.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:41 am 

Yeah. But even so, if people think an album is total shit, then they'll say so - doesn't mean it's a bad review or that the only really good ones are those that praise an album.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:40 am 

I'm intrigued by the discussion on the last page about how people write drafts for their reviews and stuff like that.

I was in the same boat as BastardHead until very recently. The length of an album tended to be a decent indicator of the length of my review, because I would put it on, write the review, and try to finish it in one sitting. Sometimes I would go over specific tracks again if I needed more detailed examples.

These days, however, I really don't have enough time to sit down and write the whole thing at once, so it actually leads to more revisions and a little bit of re-writing. The Black Sabbath one I've just posted (which is admittedly much longer than my usual) came about from three or four writing sessions, plus trying to splash a bit more life into the writing after some coaching from Grave_Wyrm.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:30 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
The Black Sabbath one I've just posted (which is admittedly much longer than my usual) came about from three or four writing sessions, plus trying to splash a bit more life into the writing after some coaching from Grave_Wyrm.

Intriguing read, but as Black Sabbath's debut is possibly my favorite album of all time, I've got some issues with it. :-P

First, Tony's injury wasn't to his left hand. It was to his right hand, the hand he frets the guitar with. He is left-handed, left-handed guitarists fret the guitar with their right hand and pick with their left.

What I remember reading in an Interview with Tony Iommi in Guitar World a couple decades ago is that the original studio recording of Warning was around 20 minutes, not 48.

The Wizard is basically just blues? How is the verse riff not 100% metal?

Downplaying Iommi's ability because of what Eddie Van Halen did a "mere" less than a decade later? Are you kidding me? The first Van Halen album came out 7 years after the first Sabbath album. Like you said, that is less than a decade, but that time period is anything but "mere." If I were to move the metal time-line up a bit, look where black metal got from 1981 to 1984 (three years), then again to 1992 (eight years). In the evolution of metal, seven years is a long fucking time for it's formative years.

For late 60s rock, it is average quality? Who are you comparing it to, only the up-and-coming progsters of the day like Yes and King Crimson? And then comparing it to "modern" metal? Like metal hasn't changed a lot in the last 50 or so years? A hell of a lot of modern metal fans would absolutely scoff at stuff like Screaming For Vengeance, for example.

Sorry, some of this seemed to turn into an angry rant, which I had not originally intended, but there you go. My passion is high for this album. :-D

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:14 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
BH: Structurally it definitely wasn't the best, but I meant more of the fact that it called out the problems he had without acting like it's total shit. The pop influences were just the biggest example. Maybe I'm being a bit biased myself *shrugs*. If me namedropping my review is "bizarre" to you, then I don't know what to tell you.

Well I mean, if the reviewer thinks it's total shit then it's totally fair for them to say it's total shit, no? I really do think this stems from your bias here, because really he doesn't say anything that most of the negative reviews don't already say, he's just less annoyed by the bad things and more impressed by the good things. One thing that really seems to hold true for Prequelle is that nobody really interprets the album all that differently. Everybody notes the exact same points. Rats and Faith are the best songs, the second instrumental is a bit too long, the pop influences are at an all time high, especially on songs like Dance Macabre, etc. The main thing that separates almost all of them is whether or not they like the individual pieces that make the album. Which, obviously, is what a review is anyway, but I still find it interesting how almost everybody seems to read the small things the exact same way with only the overarching "do I like it or not" question changing from review to review.

And namedropping your own review was weird because you presented it in a context that implies yours was the best one before it and it's just like... dude, every reviewer thinks their review is the best one, we just don't say it out loud!
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:11 pm 

:bow: gasmask_colostomy

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:29 pm 

Like we needed a new Black Sabbath review.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:49 pm 

That's a really well done review though. Much better than usual for these classic albums. If you're going to write about albums we all know, might as well do it in such an analytical and historic fashion like he just did.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:09 pm 

BH: Fair point, I guess I just liked that he didn't let something like that bother him so much, because I've always found that silly.

Empy: I agree.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:57 pm 

I do like the Sabbath review except for the line about Eddie Van Halen that DMA pointed out. Van Halen's debut came out in 1978, which is less than a decade, sure, but still like seven albums removed from Sabbath's debut. It's really weird train of reasoning that could lead to something like "Bill Ward was good sure, but Les Binks was coming less than a decade from then, but then Dave Lombardo came, then Pete Sandoval came..." etc forever.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:55 pm 

We should totally have more "secret satan" style pit reviews...it would raise the collective bar and force folks (such as I, hmmm...) out of their konfert zone...

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:16 am 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Intriguing read, but as Black Sabbath's debut is possibly my favorite album of all time, I've got some issues with it. :-P

First, Tony's injury wasn't to his left hand. It was to his right hand, the hand he frets the guitar with. He is left-handed, left-handed guitarists fret the guitar with their right hand and pick with their left.

Yes, I've messed that bit up, I always forget that Tony's a leftie. Thank you. Let me go back and edit.

What I remember reading in an Interview with Tony Iommi in Guitar World a couple decades ago is that the original studio recording of Warning was around 20 minutes, not 48.

I guess this kind of thing is all about which source and whose mouth, because Sabbath don't even agree about who approached Ozzy first - whether it was Bill and Tony or Geezer on his lonesome. I'm going by the figure in Malcolm Dome's bio of the band, Symptom of the Universe, which probably wasn't given by Tony, but by the engineer instead.

Downplaying Iommi's ability because of what Eddie Van Halen did a "mere" less than a decade later? Are you kidding me? The first Van Halen album came out 7 years after the first Sabbath album. Like you said, that is less than a decade, but that time period is anything but "mere." If I were to move the metal time-line up a bit, look where black metal got from 1981 to 1984 (three years), then again to 1992 (eight years). In the evolution of metal, seven years is a long fucking time for it's formative years.

As for this part, I absolutely agree with your reasoning, but it's all related to my point about Sabbath being fortunate. Iommi was a more than decent guitarist at the time, but when Van Halen were opening for Sabbath in 1978 (or '79, I can't remember), they upstaged a weakened band, mostly because Eddie was making Tony seem like a real dinosaur. In fact, if truth be told, I'm not really making a historical point with this, but just saying that Tony's lead style on this album seems pretty naff to me, partly because of its age.

For late 60s rock, it is average quality? Who are you comparing it to, only the up-and-coming progsters of the day like Yes and King Crimson? And then comparing it to "modern" metal? Like metal hasn't changed a lot in the last 50 or so years? A hell of a lot of modern metal fans would absolutely scoff at stuff like Screaming For Vengeance, for example.

I don't think Black Sabbath thought they were as good as the people they wanted to sound like. They were all into Led Zeppelin and - skilful though some of the ideas on Black Sabbath are - I don't think they get the right side of just being good often enough. They were creative, they were skilled, but not very often did everything click on that first album.

Sorry, some of this seemed to turn into an angry rant, which I had not originally intended, but there you go. My passion is high for this album. :-D

That's not a problem. You're testing my opinion and I get to see whether it holds up to scrutiny.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:37 am 

I think the comments about Sabbath's musical ability were a bit off; especially criticising Iommi for repetition and then praising Van Halen (Eddie adjusts a lot of his main 5 licks to fit whatever he's playing and his "lick bag" is arguably smaller than Iommi's, albeit more technically impressive [as a side, I don't think Van Halen advanced much beyond his first couple of records whereas Iommi became a more advanced, fluid lead player as best evidenced by, say, Mob Rules - you could just argue that Eddie was the finished article in '78). Repetition of licks is pretty much a standard for just about any lead guitarist - certainly I'd put Iommi in the upper echelons of that late 60s/early 70s lead guitarist mould. I would agree that his playing is of its time there (Clapton being the biggest influence), but that's no qualm. Geezer was an inventive bassist, too, and Ward is like the missing link between Ginger Baker, heavy jazz drumming and what a "typical" hard rock drummer would be - certainly his use of drums as an orchestrating influence in the song is something a lot of later drummers lack (even you could compare how Bonham keeps the beat (wonderfully) rather than driving and orchestrating the songs themselves).

I think if you're going to single out Zeppelin for praise as instrumentalists then it really should be noted that Sabbath could more than easily hold their own against them. Page's weedy inconsistent live playing versus Iommi's FUCKING POWERHOUSE?! Listen to the Paris, 1970 gig and tell me that's anything less than outstanding interplay, musicianship and pure, arrogant POWER.

AGHRHR.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:53 am 

Page was more a rock producer than a masterful guitar player. To me, his style is quite technically reckless, which turned out to be very influental to rock guitarists.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:57 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Page was more a rock producer than a masterful guitar player. To me, his style is quite technically reckless, which turned out to be very influental to rock guitarists.

Actually, that's what I love about his playing.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:39 pm 

Ah, the B-Side to Black Sabbath's titular debut is purely wizened n' pentatonic, post-hippy-dippy wizardry which went on to influence countless serendipitous "jam" bands...but cripes, what a long write, gas! Then again, considering it's such a landmark, heavy metal heritage, anything less than 2000 werds feels...barbarous and uncouth, maybe?...

Eh, oh, how did Twisted_Psychology manage to slip a (super premature yet likely right on the money) write for Iron Void's Excalibur, officially due for release only Fryday the 26th...?!?
Maybe these sinister-ly grooved out and swarth ridden doomy Englanders fell back on its initial sortie in order to make conducive, and/or heavy-hearted, wry amendments? (Can you tell I just woke up and have yet to gulp my morning koffee, as well as spot a quirky, perhaps unhealthy & maddening penchant for replacing "c"s with "k"s and "q"s...(ah, life!)...

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:33 pm 

I got the promo for that Iron Void album earlier in the year and got that review in before the release date was updated. The schedule for that album has been shuffled around so much it makes me wonder where Shadow Kingdom's head is at. Still a fantastic album though.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:17 pm 

Shadow Kingdom's head is nowhere, that's where it is. They don't know fuck-all about when their releases will come out, claiming something and then hoping for the best.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:29 pm 

Doomsday wrote:
Shadow Kingdom's head is nowhere, that's where it is. They don't know fuck-all about when their releases will come out, claiming something and then hoping for the best.

Earlier this year when they were putting promo songs for various up-coming releases on bandcamp they noted in at least one of them that the listed release dates were "tentative" and not at all finalized, and the only reason he put them is bandcamp (apparently) made filling out that field mandatory to be able to put the songs up.

MA users made the mistake of not seeing that blurb and actually using those dates as the official release dates.

BTW, Shadowkingdom and Hells Haeadbangers have been selling the Excalibur CD (and I don't think for pre-order, either) for quite some time now.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:51 pm 

Ah, I figured as much, regarding the Iron Void release date. Yea, I'm verily itching to hear the full Excalibur meal deal...I definitely want to order the CD, after having wantonly sampled a couple fusetube samplers...(Doomsday, the killer IV sophomore, for my money, is close to my favorite all-time doom outside of Demon Eye and Pentagram...).

In regards to Shadow Kingdom Records, any time lapses are fully pardoned and redeemed by class act releases such as the above, and say...!! J. Touch's Inner City Wolves! (Possibly my 2017 release of the year, no less.)

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:52 pm 

Sorry, Johnny Touch to the un-initiated...Long live Australian trad metal!

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:55 pm 

yES, GREAT REVIEW FOR mANACLE, mARCO (heartily agree it's way too short!

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:15 am 

Are you ok? :lol:

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:23 am 

Caps lock looks like a stroke when you're not expecting it.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:14 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
I got the promo for that Iron Void album earlier in the year and got that review in before the release date was updated. The schedule for that album has been shuffled around so much it makes me wonder where Shadow Kingdom's head is at. Still a fantastic album though.

Wait, but MA allowed you to submit early? I've tried to submit reviews before albums' release days when I get promos but this site won't allow me to...

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:27 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
Wait, but MA allowed you to submit early? I've tried to submit reviews before albums' release days when I get promos but this site won't allow me to...

The site originally had May 25th as the album's release date and I uploaded my review before the date changed again. Reviewing albums before they're officially out can be a bitch sometimes.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 357, 358, 359, 360, 361, 362, 363 ... 520  Next