* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CelestialEmissary
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:57 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
CelestialEmissary wrote:
Hi Folks! I've now gotten up to 5 reviews so I figured I'd come here and ask if people have any feedback or suggestions on my reviews to date.

Here are the 5 reviews I've written so far:
Morbid Angel-Altars of Madness
Morbid Angel-Domination
Carcass-Necroticism
Carcass-Heartwork
In Flames-Colony

What I don't get about your review for Necrotism is when you say you have listened to it hundreds of times and a couple of times a month for years and haven't been able to "get it", I mean if that's true then I gotta ask why?! Coz you're obviously never gonna "get it" at that rate, it shouldn't take that much time and effort to get into something. I just wouldn't spend that time on something I didn't love. It sounds like perhaps you're trying too hard, maybe give it a decent break and then come back to it.
Um and the other thing, Heartwork has never been hard to find as far as I know.
Lastly when you say "the riffs just aren't there", I mean wow, thinking about I don't think you'll ever get it at all. Nevermind.
On a positive note you at least weren't a dickhead and gave it some ridiculously low percentage and you write well.

I think you're referring to Heartwork in the first bit of your comment. I think you may be right and I've been trying to force it a bit! I'll give it a rest for a bit. On the "riffs just aren't there" I might have been a bit exaggerated. But I've never found the riffs catch my ear as much as the 2 albums prior. Obviously Buried Dreams opens with a monster of a riff, but I find after the first song or two, it all kinda blends together.

On Heartwork being tough to find. I've gone to countless record stores in my country and never found a new copy on the shelves. Earache's distribution in my country is brutal. Thankfully I've since found the label's bandcamp and used that to fill out a lot of back catalogs of my favourites. I know Heartwork's hsd a million pressings, but the CD has been ever-evasive in my time as a CD collector. I've seen a few new copies on vinyl in stores over the years though!

Appreciate the feedback. I don't think Heartwork deserves a super reactionary and hostile 0. I don't hate the album by any stretch. It's an album I've listened to a ton, and it's never gotten an outright negative reaction in my head.

Thanks again! :)

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:12 pm 

Sorry my bad yes I was referring to your Heartwork review not Necro.

Next order of business...AnnableFuckinCourts...To Mega Therion, 14 reviews, all are in the 90 to 100% range, except 2 at 80% and then along came fuckin Annable, spouted a load of bullshit about it and then slapped it with 65%. Now here's someone who doesn't get it at fuckin all and has a long and proven track record of that.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:57 am 

Agree with aidane, super enjoyable and detailed reads so far! Always nice to see new faces critiquing with reason and common sense instead of bashing popular stuff right from the start. :)

lonerider wrote:
Think I'm gonna go take a whiz through my fretboard now

It's the dawn of descending...

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:13 am 

I'd be ok with a complete purge of Annable Courts reviews from the site. Terrible taste.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:40 am 

Problem with the To Mega Therion review isn't the score, but the shitty points that Annable tries to make. I mean a poor man's 1985 Slayer?! :lol:

I'd advise you to hold off on what is likely to be a negative review and give this album the perspective it deserves.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:08 am 

Well he's wrong about the score too. That's one of metal's all-timers.

Shit review really, I don't get what he wants from it, a bunch more variety and random shit in there for no reason, or what? The idea that everything has to have some checkmarks checked for variety seems weird and pointless to me. The album just is what it is at some point. Talk about it in a deeper way even if you don't like it.

Ultimately I'm not sure there was much attempt at really understanding the music, seems like a shallow attempt just fired off for no real reason.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:19 am 

My man gave Melissa a 35% calling it "Tepid, hollow, genuinely unconvincing fraud" Dude's beyond redemption.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:21 am 

At some point maybe he should just admit he doesn't really like metal the way most of us do; it's fine, there's plenty of other music out there.

CelestialEmissary
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:01 am 

TheBurningOfSodom wrote:
Agree with aidane, super enjoyable and detailed reads so far! Always nice to see new faces critiquing with reason and common sense instead of bashing popular stuff right from the start. :)

Thanks man! Glad to hear.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:58 pm 

CelestialEmissary wrote:
Hi Folks! I've now gotten up to 5 reviews so I figured I'd come here and ask if people have any feedback or suggestions on my reviews to date.
Carcass-Heartwork

I've read the Heartwork one
Simply said: it was clear, it said enough about the album and it gave me enough information about you and your perception. In other words, well done!
I don't need more

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:27 pm 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
My man gave Melissa a 35% calling it "Tepid, hollow, genuinely unconvincing fraud" Dude's beyond redemption.

Just took a gander at said turd of a review, and I think it's safe to say that Annable is trying to be some weird hybrid of Bitterman and Human666, though lacking the coherent elitist philosophy of the former and the bizarre yet coherent contrarianism of the latter. I think I won't bother reading any more of their dreck, a full day of binge-watching Hallmark Channel would be more fulfilling.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:41 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:

some weird hybrid of Bitterman and Human666.

This made me laugh louder than I should have.

I'd advise you to hold off on what is likely to be a negative review and give this album the perspective it deserves.

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:48 pm 

I'm glad to see natrix picking up the pace with his mordant spew of reviews the past couple of months, notably those sardonic Slayer ones. It's also amazing to realize he's been around the site for almost as far back as its commencement, when many of today's MA legends weren't even born!

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:06 pm 

And here we've the record for most full-lengths released by a band since Blowvid:

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Do ... 3540457860

What's also nuts is how each one is three tracks long, but still over at least half an hour; the albums covers are also quite cool.

(Maybe we should check out one finally!)

Last edited by CHAIRTHROWER on Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yourmother47
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:40 am 

I´m here to discuss my review because it got rejected by moderator named "Napalm_Satan", who rejected my review because of my opinion on CJ McMahon. I didn´t said anything bad about trans/gay people, and I even said in my review "you´re free to disagree", so if you do so, then good for you, I expressed my opinion in a very good way and I also said I don´t have a problem with a disagreement, just respect for me. And this moderator literally rejected it because he didn´t agree with my opinion and he only discussed the first paragraph of my review. He didn´t give a fuck about the other paragraphs, which were only about music and that angers me the most. And then I´ve found out that he´s gay(good for him). If I have to edit the 1st paragraph just a little bit, then tell me, I don´t have a problem with that at all, but this is a democracy not a communism where "actions, come with consequences". And of course there are people who agree and disagree with me, but I don´t have a problem with that at all cost.

"This album was supposed to be a masterpiece, you know, like Jupiter was supposed to be a star, but it failed, unfortunately. People were telling me stuff like, "Human Target" is really all just a controversy! But when this album is finally released, do you still think? I don't think so. THIS album is controversial. It depicts the incident that happened between CJ and its band when, that morning/evening we all (fans) found out that CJ was unfortunately fired. I don't want to get too political or get too deep into this incident, but he said his own "dark" truth about a mother who was literally harassing her 2-3-year-old child by saying, "You can be both woman and man." And CJ was of course pissed off, so he expressed his own opinion on social media, and many (trans/gay) people started to hate him and mostly the band. And the band didn't want to be remembered with a "bad" name, so they basically fired him, hired a new singer, and re-recorded the whole album with their new vocalist behind CJ's back. And no one cares about CJ being backstabbed by the band, and that's the most sad part about it. You're free to disagree (just don't call me a bigot), if you think Tyler (the new singer) is better than CJ, good for you. But this is an album review, so I won't write about it more, but it still needed the credit it deserved."

The other paragraphs are only about music, please respond and I´d like to report the moderator as well for not letting me express my opinion without any swears almost, and I was actually saying there that "you´re free to disagree".

Thank you,
yourmother47

yourmother47
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:00 am 

And to this, I´d like to show you what the moderator wrote to me, here you go:

CJ was kicked out for a very good reason. Bro was literally saying, or implying, that he was cool with *burning a mother and child to death* because the mother said to the child 'you can be whatever you want', basically. And ngl, framing that as 'harassment' is... well, stupid and silly - very questionable at least. So is trying to paint this as a reasonable reaction to that, because it's not; it's deranged.

When he caught flak and was thrown out of the band for that, he wasn't 'betrayed', he faced the consequences of his own actions. It's an incredibly disgusting, inexcusable thing to say, lol. Most other open transphobes of prominence even know not to take it THAT far openly, for the sake of optics. This dude is just psychotic, clearly. That he was replying to a Matt Walsh - you know, that quite openly paedophilic sack of shit. Where's your complaints of 'harassing' a child then huh?

Fuck outta here with trying to condone and excuse all that, and fuck CJ. Trans and gay people were right to turn on the guy. I am trans and gay myself, the dude is a sack of shit. Go complain about 'muh betrayal!!!!!11!' somewhere else.

I'll leave you with a quote from the band's statement on the matter, you would do well to take note of it:

'Everyone has their own right to free speech and to seek their truth. They are also free to receive the consequences that come with it.'

I don´t agree with the moderator on a single thing. I still respect her opinion but on the other hand, I tried to express my opinion very openly and without any sort of swearing (even if she said I didn´t do so), but she used many swears in her opinion. I´d like to report this moderator for not only her rejection of my review that wasn´t based on a single "valid" reason, but even for not letting me express my opinion. We live in a democracy, not in a communism where "her quote" does apply: "Actions come with consequences." Judging by her expression, she didn´t live and didn´t experienced single year in a "real" communism system so she shouldn´t firstly judge with "her quote" because I did experienced communism. I´ve already edited my review so not more people get offended but I will still stand for my opinion no matter what. I like to support this site, I like to write reviews so more people will have a bigger knowledge about music and I don´t have a problem when my review si rejected based on valid reasons like (poor formatting, uninteresting things to talk to or try to tell us what is in your opinion good and bad). If you think I´m wrong, then I don´t know what should I do next, I want my review to be here on this site, and when it will be rejected again, then write to me why it was rejected and give me reasons. I don´t want to let some entitled moderator to shit on my head because her opinion is different, I have already said: "you´re free to disagree". When you´re deaf or blind then go see a doctor = problem solved.
Best regards,
yourmother47

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:06 am 

LOL, ok boomer

"I don't want to get too political", you wrote in your review, then you followed it up with a long tirade defending extremely violent transphobia. If you actually sincerely don't hate gay and trans people, you would not be trying to justify this, let alone double down on this. "Don't call me a bigot", yes I will actually. Kicking out a band member for being bigoted is not "betrayal", only bigots would think otherwise, period.

As for "democracy" and "communism", this is a private website and we don't owe you shit. Your review will not stand, and I've permanently closed your account as a result as well. Because honestly, even if you weren't defending a bigoted asshole, anyone who invokes "communism" when discussing the right to post on a private website is too stupid to be allowed in. Go away.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:13 am 

Also, that's *she, thank you very much.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:39 am 

Ok, Genx-er here.
Who the hell is C.J. McMahon?

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:52 pm 

The former vocalist of Thy Art is Murder. He was kicked out of the band for remarks/insinuations that were uh, *extremely* transphobic.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:45 pm 

I've to say, reading 'thrall's exciting Rust In Peace review is my reward for writing this long-suffering Steel Witch review for an album which now compels me to grab an electric axe so I can pursue sophomoric mastery of "Lucretia" and "Tornado Of Souls"...I'm also digging reviews by CelestialEmissary and Evil_Biff_Tannen.

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:48 am 

What am I reading, man? How can this be a review from 2024?
Quote:
Contrary to popular belief, W.A.S.P. was never a glam or hair metal band. Despite the misconception, particularly among casual listeners and those who view metal more as a lifestyle choice than a genuine passion, that their first three albums were part of the glam/poser movement, W.A.S.P. has always been pure heavy metal. Sure, they may have had the looks back in the day, and perhaps some of their lyrics could have been associated with the poser scene

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 666/243542

aidane154
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:00 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
I've to say, reading 'thrall's exciting Rust In Peace review is my reward for writing this long-suffering Steel Witch review for an album which now compels me to grab an electric axe so I can pursue sophomoric mastery of "Lucretia" and "Tornado Of Souls"...I'm also digging reviews by CelestialEmissary and Evil_Biff_Tannen.

Big agree, and happy to see he gave Youthanasia a positive nod. Lucretia is so underrated

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:08 pm 

Absolutely! I'm twitching to get a guitar again now as I'd begun learning Lucretia shortly after moving here, but sadly gave up once I got a ps5 (eventually selling the ole Squier for peanuts last Summer, thinking I could never improve). However, because my eyes are getting messed up due to over playing video games, I need to steer myself back towards musical engagement. Although it's a shame I let my addictions over the years get in the way of pursuing a love of the guitar, I just came back from browsing at the music store and spied a chill violet Kramer I could buy in a couple payments...Also, Youthanasia brings back awesome memories, particularly my old pal Olivier who ate slept and breathed Megadeth back in the day. ("Train of Consequences" and "The Killing Road" sound like perfect tablature fodder for the newly reborn aspirant!)

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:45 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ll/385642/

Quote:
Nothing as impressive as I would hope - 65%

... and at the end of the review:
Quote:
Final rate: 60/100

Maybe it would have been even be lower than that, in case he wrote even more there.
:lol:

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:06 am 

I told myself that if I can until go until Wednesday without a cigarette, I'll earmark 300$ towards a decent starter guitar...(too bad frigging Telus ruined any chance of financing).

(It's a trade-off, the only way I can budget in the guitar is if I cut out the morbid expense which is tobacco).

My first choice, without a doubt, is for the Jackson JS22 Dinky, but it's hard to find, out of stock everywhere...

https://www.long-mcquade.com/124614/Gui ... -Black.htm

It looks killer, at a price that can't be beat; I might actually just order it at the store.

CelestialEmissary
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:22 am 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:

Glad to hear it! Working on a few reviews right now. Working on a review of Trouble's Psalm 9 right now. I do a radio show where I do album reviews on-air periodically, so that usually gives me an idea of what to review next.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:48 am 

Awesome choice! Right now, I'm re-listening to an old stoner rock classic, and will surely transpose the experience in written form, soon enough.

aidane154
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:18 am 

Anyone else get weird vibes IJzerklompje's Spheres review?
More than a third of the whole review, (the first two paragraphs) is about sonic the hedgehog and kelly shafer smoking weed.
Definitely a love it or hate it album but it doesn't remind me of Sonic bonus levels personally

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... je/1995961

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:02 pm 

Yeah, good point actually. I think the review does meet the criteria as far as describing it goes but those two tangents in the introduction there really do the review no favours; whatever point is trying to be made there is clearly lost. Rejected, with a note about writing a better, more on-topic introduction.

IJzerklompje
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:46 pm 

The whole idea behind the pompous introduction was to provide the review, which contains quite controversial opinions delivered through amateurish point of view, a safer landing by making it more tongue-in-cheek than it really is. I saw plenty of older reviews out there with various foul metaphors and weird structuring so I automatically assumed mine was appropriate as well. However I kind of agree your point there, and I will submit more restrained and serious review some time later.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:47 pm 

Naah I understand that; going on small tangents or making metaphors is fine... as long as it's in service of a point. It's not even that the structure is too odd or because of the foulness of the content, it is just because it didn't seem to add much to the points being made and took up a bunch of space in the review. There are definitely reviews that spend a lot of time on metaphors like that, but then it all circles around to the point in a way that made the whole journey actually seem necessary, and I'm not sure that was pulled off there.

Honestly, don't be afraid to just come out with an opinion even if it's an unpopular one that might not land with a lot of people; as long as it's well-reasoned there really is no issue there. And don't feel a need to be too I guess 'out there' or overcomplicate things - you can build up a distinct style with novel aspects over time, with practice and experience.

Also as an aside - whilst looking at existing reviews for examples of what flies is fine and encouraged, do be wary of drawing from a lot of much older reviews (from idk, the '00s, say) - our standards for what is acceptable generally have changed since then, and because of this there are doubtless reviews on the site today that would not be acceptable/are borderline.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:40 pm 

aidane154 wrote:
Anyone else get weird vibes IJzerklompje's Spheres review?
More than a third of the whole review, (the first two paragraphs) is about sonic the hedgehog and kelly shafer smoking weed.
Definitely a love it or hate it album but it doesn't remind me of Sonic bonus levels personally

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... je/1995961

lol sort of disappointed I didn't get a chance to see this
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:49 am 

Thrilled to see UncleAsh return to the fore with his ear-opening Mean Mistreater review (having originally endeared me with his far flung Bedemon spiel from '07, years before I even set foot in the MA door). Fans of Savage Master and Hitter, you know what to do! I'm also intrigued by Heartbeast's Moon Wizard_Sirens review, and fondly reminded of Arch Enemy's golden age via that spot-on Burning Bridges spew.

Oh, quick question for gas: do you think the following is the same cool Widow band we dig from North Carolina? I'm mystified and would like to know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CefC5_K ... yM&index=1

aidane154
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:59 pm 

Definitely didn't mean to get the spheres review removed! Lol just thought it was discussion worthy
Don't disagree with the witching metal review per se but 0% is pretty harsh imo

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:56 am 

Although I mostly agree with 'thrall's Cryptic Writings spiel, I've to say "Vortex" makes for excellent guitar tablature fodder for the aspiring shredder...

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:51 pm 

Me double checking to see whether autothrall had already reviewed Risk before or if he just straight up noped out of it. He already reviewed it in 2011 but the latter would’ve been really funny.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:56 pm 

Then again, isn't it weird it's taken him this long to review a Megadeth album other than Risk, 13 and ZuperCollider (3 turnips alongside No World Hero), considering his towering numbers? Better late than never though, and he's doing a great job!

Last edited by CHAIRTHROWER on Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:16 am 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Oh, quick question for gas: do you think the following is the same cool Widow band we dig from North Carolina? I'm mystified and would like to know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CefC5_K ... yM&index=1

Not sure why but the video is unavailable. However, rather excellently, I was listening to "Nightlife" this morning :lol:
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:05 am 

Oh, maybe it's because China isn't fond of the ole tube, eh? But yeah, I owe Widow a proper return, as so far, I've only heard snippets outside of Carved Into Stone. That "other" Widow though, I'm not sure; the logo and album art hints at the North Carolinians, but I need to listen further to make the connection, if any. (There really is no indication whatsoever, and it could just be some random Widow-er.) From what I've heard so far though, it reminds me of an old school proto rock/metal act in the vein of Pagan Altar and Pentagram. Imagine! A brand new killer Widow!

Sadly, I can't locate any Amulet tablature online, but I did spot some Night Demon - namely, for Full Speed Ahead and Welcome To The Night. Maybe in time, my ears will warm up enough to the point I can take a potshot at killer tunes such "Evil Cathedral" and "Dawn Rider", for example...Alternately, I'm having a blast unwinding JP's "White Heat, Red Hot" right now - I'll learn a bunch of Stained Class rhythm, but the wild, bird call leads will have to wait, as they're just nuts!

Also, chairs to TexanCycoThrasher's for steering me back to Sacred Blade, which I'd slotted on the ole mp3 player a while ago.

Last edited by CHAIRTHROWER on Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 515, 516, 517, 518, 519, 520, 521, 522  Next