Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:50 pm 

I couldn't get through the entire thing.

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:07 am 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
Dammit! Someone beat me to Return To Forever! I pretty much agree with Bayern's review of it, although the assumption that they can't play their old powerful songs anymore couldn't be anymore wrong. I saw them about six months ago and they absolutely rocked their entire set. Don't base an entire band off of one meh record. Hell, they covered Motorhead!

Man, that was just an exaggeration... Of course, the Scorps are rocking hard as ever on the old stuff; it's just that this last outing was so blase that I felt compelled to bash at them. I was actually planning to write this a lot earlier, but the heart's always stopped me on the verge of... It's not easy to pour criticism over one of your all-time favourite acts.

And please, don't tell me they covered "Ace of Spades"... not again. I can still understand, though, if they needed some kind of a short break after playing "Dynamite" or "Another Piece of Meat".

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:45 am 

I gotcha, I actually wrote one up shortly after you, so I feel your pain. But no, they actually covered Overkill! Which is my favorite Motorhead song!

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:15 am 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
I gotcha, I actually wrote one up shortly after you, so I feel your pain. But no, they actually covered Overkill! Which is my favorite Motorhead song!

Yeah, I just read it. You share my sentiments pretty much although I find it a bit hard to believe that you had found it "pretty incredible!" at the beginning...

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:17 pm 

Hey man, you didn't know 19 year old me, haha. I was greatly impulsive back then (can be now too sometimes). I'm somewhat in the middle of a Scorpions discography review streak. I've seen many other reviewers do discographies of classic bands, and I figured I'd test the waters with them since a lot of their albums don't have many reviews. Glad to see someone who shares the same love of them as me!

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:52 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
Hey man, you didn't know 19 year old me, haha. I was greatly impulsive back then (can be now too sometimes). I'm somewhat in the middle of a Scorpions discography review streak. I've seen many other reviewers do discographies of classic bands, and I figured I'd test the waters with them since a lot of their albums don't have many reviews. Glad to see someone who shares the same love of them as me!

Yes, a very good initiative for sure. Then I guess we'll be racing each other for a bit these days as I'm working on a couple of Scorpions-related musings as well...

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:14 am 

I look forward to reading them!

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:54 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
While the music description is apt and aplenty, there's so much silly "look at me, I smoke pot!" stuff going on that it's just kind of ridiculous.

I'm a huge stoner doom fan but a very occasional social smoker. The whole "look at all the marijuanas I smoke" aspect of the stoner doom subculture is incredibly annoying. It's edgy tryhardism at best and at worst it confirms the stereotype that you have to be high in order to enjoy the music.

The Scorpions discography review is a fun little trip, having them out of order does shake things up a bit.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:07 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
I'm a huge stoner doom fan but a very occasional social smoker. The whole "look at all the marijuanas I smoke" aspect of the stoner doom subculture is incredibly annoying. It's edgy tryhardism at best and at worst it confirms the stereotype that you have to be high in order to enjoy the music.

Great stoner music makes you high.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:12 am 

Twisted: Thanks man! I didn't originally intend on doing a discography, so that's why it's out of order (plus I wrote a few of 'em years ago), so I figured I may as well shuffle them around rather try to be consistent with a few holes. Seeing the awesome Saxon discography that happened a little while ago, as well as the horrid Megadeth one that has been going on, I wanted to try for myself. If I do more, I'll try to keep them in order.

I actually just submitted "Humanity: Hour 1" and it was immediately published, which has never happened before. I'm assuming that's a good thing?

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:00 am 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
Twisted: Thanks man! I didn't originally intend on doing a discography, so that's why it's out of order (plus I wrote a few of 'em years ago), so I figured I may as well shuffle them around rather try to be consistent with a few holes. Seeing the awesome Saxon discography that happened a little while ago, as well as the horrid Megadeth one that has been going on, I wanted to try for myself. If I do more, I'll try to keep them in order.

I actually just submitted "Humanity: Hour 1" and it was immediately published, which has never happened before. I'm assuming that's a good thing?

Congratulations, you've been promoted!

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:32 am 

I thought so, but was so shocked by it that I wanted to make sure it wasn't a mistake or something. Considering that when I joined in 2014 that I was in Diamhea's "top 5 worst reviewers" list, I'm honored!

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:58 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:
While the music description is apt and aplenty, there's so much silly "look at me, I smoke pot!" stuff going on that it's just kind of ridiculous.

You know, if people said they need to be high to enjoy music I make, I'd feel rather insulted :lol: Like, most music sounds better when you're high (at least in my experience), so that certainly isn't a compliment, and if you actively need to be stoned to derive any enjoyment from something, then it's probably a huge fucking bore to begin with.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:20 pm 

That Sleep review is one of the most pretentious, self-fellating piles of crap I've ever read on this site. The dude probably truly thinks he's a better person because he smokes weed, and he just doesn't fucking stop throwing it in your face the whole time. He seems like one of those kinds that if you try to talk about the negative aspects of heavy marijuana use will scream and shout you down about how marijuana is a life giving, cancer curing plant (not a drug, according to people like that) that can do literally no wrong and you just want to take away his right to put what he wants in his own body and are probably being paid off by Big Pharma to stop "the truth" from being told and OH GOD FUCKING SHUT UP YOU STUPID STONER ASSHOLE. It's the same thing as idiot fast food workers making it seem like the ones that aren't idiots shouldn't be paid a living wage; Moron stoners like this guy make you actively hope weed isn't legalized just so he doesn't get what he wants.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

PorcupineOfDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:28 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
Considering that when I joined in 2014 that I was in Diamhea's "top 5 worst reviewers" list, I'm honored!

Ah, I remember that debate haha. Pretty sure someone nominated me but not sure if I made the top 5 or not.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:06 pm 

Can't remember either. I know it was me, Metal_Thrasher90 (where the hell did he go?), and three others.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:42 pm 

I don't even remember that, but I'm sure Metal_Thrasher90 was on there. You've done good SweetLeaf, your recent promotion was actually lobbied by yours truly.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:45 pm 

Much appreciated!

Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:58 pm 

Very nice review of ADX's Division Blindée by Xyrth! Quite solid, with many interesting pieces of information that even throws some little jokes to France's war history.

Tunes of Steel - Reviews and writing stuff website. Latest: Paradox - Pangea
Metalhertz, French Youtube radio channel

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:05 pm 

Can TrooperEd write a single review that doesn't have to reference 20 other albums in order to (somewhat) describe the music?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:39 am 

But if he doesn't mention a thousand other bands in his reviews, how on Earth will he unnecessarily get them up to 8000 words (even if this one was actually the shortest review I've ever seen from him)?

Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:22 am 

Man I really appreciate SweetLeaf's reviews. Even though I pretty much don't care about Scorpions I always read them because it's well-written and using quite detailed and alternative ways to describe the music, avoiding the very classic "it's rocking and shaking my head!".

Tunes of Steel - Reviews and writing stuff website. Latest: Paradox - Pangea
Metalhertz, French Youtube radio channel

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:45 am 

Yeah, shoutout to SweetLeaf and bayern for their Scorpions reviews. Almost makes me inclined to join in the fun and review some of their stuff, but with a back catalog of ~18 albums, I dunno where I'd start.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:37 pm 

I really appreciate that, guys! I plan on doing the last one I haven't hit yet, Blackout, today. I only did them out of order since I did a few of them years ago, and plus this was my first time tackling a full discography. It was an easier one to start with since it's a classic band, but doesn't have like 10 or more reviews on each record. So it was easier to stay unique, where as once I try a more popular discography, it will be a challenge to myself to try to make it unique. But honestly, just start with one you're more familiar with. Thank's again for the kind words!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:26 am 

Agonymph nailed Horrorscope with that review... agree on all points.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:09 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
I really appreciate that, guys! I plan on doing the last one I haven't hit yet, Blackout, today. I only did them out of order since I did a few of them years ago, and plus this was my first time tackling a full discography. It was an easier one to start with since it's a classic band, but doesn't have like 10 or more reviews on each record. So it was easier to stay unique, where as once I try a more popular discography, it will be a challenge to myself to try to make it unique. But honestly, just start with one you're more familiar with. Thank's again for the kind words!

Yeah, I'm (slowly) getting there with a discography review of Krokus, who are really ideal for it since they have a lot of albums and only 1-3 reviews for each. Only problem being finding things to say about the bang-average 90s-early 00s albums.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:10 pm 

I had issues with that when writing about "Face The Heat" and "Pure Instinct". That's why I try to listen to them all to refresh myself and make sure I have a REALLY good understanding of what I'm reviewing before doing it. To me, it's way easier to priase amazing albums than tell why certain ones are boring.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:51 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... erEd/21802

Spoiler: show

Last.fm

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:59 pm 

You know I've noticed you guys bringing up Ed a lot recently. I can see why now.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:35 pm 

Reactionary? Check. Iconoclastic? Check. Redundant? Check. Screams "look at me, I have a different opinion"? Double fucking check.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:05 pm 

His UNPOPULAR OPINION AHEAD is just a classically Ed mixture of being flat out wrong (I shouldn't even need to address why two paragraphs about the production, focusing on how bassy it is, is amazingly factually not true), odd potshots and comparisons (the fact that Newstead/Flotsam and Jetsam wasn't well known in 1986 is proof that Cliff wasn't as good as Les Claypool (who actually auditioned for the role and didn't get it)? His recent affinity for doom/death is why he likes To Live Is to Die?), and not actually being unpopular at all (I can only think of a handful of people who don't like Harvester of Sorrow, I don't think I know a single person who considers The Frayed Ends of Sanity to be "the holy grail of Metallica's catalogue" (one of the shows on the Binge and Purge box set even has them play the through the first chorus before James just stops the band and announces that the song bores him and they start playing something else)). It's sad that it's almost commendable that he restrained himself from talking about the 90s albums or saying something about how "it sounds nothing like Soundgarden" or whatever.

Though the fact that his adolescence involves discovering iTunes is starting to make things make some more sense. I had always assumed Ed was like ten years older than me or something because his taste is just so quintessentially oldnoob and he has that irrational hatred for 90s rock in general that's so prevalent in washed up headbangers and Gen Xers who complain about being born in the wrong decade, but if he's young enough to have "discovered" iTunes at some point then all of the sudden I have a lot more insight as to why he says such insane shit all the time.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:21 pm 

I also assumed he was quite a bit older than me but that itunes reference blew me away.

The second to last paragraph becomes unbearable when he tries to victimize himself about liking and disliking those 2 songs. How can someone be so clueless/delusional?

untappd: patrick_g

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:24 pm 

lol dude is a terrible troll because no one would ever say that about the bass in AJFA and be completely serious

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:48 pm 

I'm damned if I do, and damned if I don't. Let's see what I have to sift through today.

Edit: fuck it this whole thing is bait anyway.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:05 pm 

TrooperEd wrote:

Like your reviews?

Last.fm

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:10 pm 

I assumed he was older, too. The whole discovering iTunes answers a lot of questions.

Like your reviews?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:47 pm 

A long time ago (in a galaxy far far away), I wrote a review for the first Beyond Creation album. In the review, I claimed that the bass on that album was inaudible, for reasons I really cannot explain, as even I don't know why I thought I couldn't hear the terribly warbly, adults-on-Charlie Brown-cartoons sounding bass. I got properly raked over the coals for that review by everybody who talked about it here, I apologized for writing a shitty review, deleted it, and rewrote it after another listen while admitting my mistake and making sure I would never be so careless again.

Ed's reviews are like when I wrote that review, only EVERY SINGLE FUCKING TIME HE WRITES SOMETHING, and not only without admitting that maybe, just maybe, he has serious, serious problems as a writer and reviewer and takes some time to try and correct them, but actually doubling down on those issues and getting worse every time he puts fingers to keyboard. I'm convinced at this point that he's the worst active reviewer on this site, and he just plain is not going to get any better. His reviews are only good for laughing at the absurdist, broken logic, and often false statements found within, and nothing more.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:54 am 

I didn't bother reading it when I saw it was him that wrote it. Based off of the backlash, it looks like I don't need to.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:14 am 

I'd always assumed he was a bit younger, early 20s at least. The venom he possesses for stuff like grunge and 90s Metallica has that distinct "I wasn't really around it and hate it because I feel I'm supposed to" air to it.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:41 am 

TrooperEd wrote:
I'm damned if I do, and damned if I don't. Let's see what I have to sift through today.

What was there pre-edit, which I still have because I accidentally left the tab open before I went to work wrote:
The iTunes was less about iTunes and more about frequency settings on stereos (which I couldn't figure out what to call). And the first paragraph is actually something that Noctir pointed out in his review (not on here) but I remember having the exact same experience with. Jason got the bass turned down on him. I won't deny that. But I also won't deny that the comparison he made to his playing and James' playing is something he said. I'm also not going to deny my own personal experience of getting an overload of warbling when I turned the preamp settings up

Les didn't get the Metallica audition because in James' own words "he was too good," and also because the rest of the band in they're grieving state didn't think Isley Brothers jokes were funny.

Playing the first verse and chorus of Frayed Ends does not count as a full play through. It counts as James and Lars being too incompetent to play it in their drunken states (bored with it is an excuse, and a terrible one at that. Sorry, but Boris was right on that count). They never played it live in full until...what the 30th anniversary shows?

If I get this reaction when I feel like I'm merely stating that I like an album and don't have a problem with it's complaints, then you guys are REALLY going to hate what I have coming down the pipeline.

I'm gonna just address it all anyway because I think this post highlights a lot of the issues I (and others) have been having with you lately. Explaining yourself is good, but your explanations make total sense only as long as you stop thinking about it halfway through, because there's an instant rebuttal to everything you said and none of it really related to what the complaints even were in the first place.

1. Nobody was really commenting on the big difference between James's and Jason's skill as rhythm players (which by the way, is an excellent point and this is one of the things I've always said you're good at, a lot of people (unless they're massive nerds and/or actual guitarists themselves) tend to overlook how seriously talented James is as a rhythm player, specifically his uncanny ability to downpick absolutely anything he writes no matter the speed, that's the kind of stuff I really wish you'd stick to), and the iTunes crack on my part was probably unnecessary but certainly you dropping a clue that you're actually younger than I thought threw me for a loop at the very least. The thing everybody is harping on is that, well, Justice is probably the most notorious metal album of all time when it comes to being devoid of bass. So for you to go on talking about how it's something you'd always used as an example of the bass being too loud is (to once again use Sweetie's new favorite word) just baffling. It's just one of those really blatant, universally accepted things in the genre. It's almost as out-of-left-field-wtf as saying something like Darkness Descends has too many slow songs and never gets to the point, it's the exact opposite of what almost every other person who's ever written about the album has come away with. Everybody who has heard Darkness Descends thinks it's a crazy fast album, everybody who has heard And Justice for All thinks there's a noticeable lack of bass.

2. Yeah, it kind of makes sense to list Les Claypool as a superior bassist since he does have that tangential connection to Metallica despite the fact that he only played metal for a very brief time and later became known for an entirely different sound with Primus, but if you're bringing him up in reference to the fact that Jason wasn't a well known or particularly amazing bassist who did get the job it's just really weird since FaJ, while never a big name by any stretch, certainly had a hell of a lot more to their name than Blind Illusion did in 1986. And if you're trying to say that Cliff was, while talented and unique, ultimately replaceable, it's even weirder to also namedrop Steve DiGiorgio, who is like the most glaring example of a talented and unique bassist who also happens to be the most replaceable bassist on the planet since he's been in like sixty bands. And if you loop back up to the first paragraph where you mention Jason's (relative lack of) rhythmic skill in comparison to James, it's weird again because all four of the namedropped bassists are very different from him. Cliff's talent didn't have much to do with his rhythmic tightness. His forte always lied within his creativity and ear for melody. Cliff had a hand in most of the weirder melodic parts peppered throughout Metallica's early era, particularly on Master of Puppets. Jason is a straight ahead rocker for the most part. Cliff played with a unique feel and attracted James and Lars in the first place because he tended to treat his bass like a guitar. Jason didn't do anything too strange and just hit the strings really fucking hard. Cliff plucked with his fingers. Jason played with a pick. They were very, very different players and it almost seems like it was an intentional choice to go with somebody very different from their departed friend. Now if you take all of that into account, it's pretty easy to infer that passing on Les because he's "too good" is just another way of saying that he just simply wasn't what they were looking for and wasn't going to mesh with what they were doing going forward, because if you just take that comment at face value it's pretty darn silly to assume that the band just genuinely wanted a shittier, less talented guy in the band.

3. Preeeetty sure nobody said anything about whether or not they ever played Frayed Ends to completion live. I was pointing out that I've never heard anybody call it the holy grail of their career, and used an anecdote of the band playing a few minutes of it for a filmed concert before stopping and playing something else to minimal fan backlash. And yes, Metallica were known to be extraordinarily heavy drinkers during their heyday, but being so sloppy pissed that they couldn't perform their songs well live was never part of that reputation to my knowledge (apart from Kirk playing some sloppy leads but that's not really what either of us are talking about). And even then, Frayed Ends isn't a difficult song by any measure. As it was said earlier, James is an excellent rhythm guitarist and the band can write some deceptively difficult stuff, but that song isn't one of them. It's a repetitive mid paced 7+ minute long chunker, nothing at all like the much more complex and challenging songs that I'm sure they can play flawlessly while drunk, high, and asleep. Again, that's something that makes total sense if you stop thinking halfway through, because a much more logical answer is that they just didn't want to play a midpaced song that most fans don't hold in nearly as high esteem as their more classic songs that goes on for that long and repeats as much as it does. And hell, my memory is pretty fuzzy because I haven't watched that set in a really long time but an even more logical answer is that it was planned that way as part of a medley (which they are fond of doing). That would certainly render my point moot but it's even more damaging to your entirely new accusation that it was due to them being too hammered to do it competently.

4. And man, you wanna talk about baiting right before dropping a stupid "Hey wink wink nudge nudge I'm totally gonna rile y'all up with my next one!"? Come on man.

I know you probably think we're out to get you or something, and I do realize that these things are more nitpicks than anything (the first point aside, which is a pretty majorly absurd statement), but the problem is that you have so many of these little nitpicky quirks that stink up every single one of your reviews and instead of learning from or accepting criticism and trying to avoid them and improve as you go along, you just get all sanctimonious and double down on it and wind up looking more and more ignorant/incorrect with each new incident. Just... I dunno man, stop it.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 340, 341, 342, 343, 344, 345, 346 ... 520  Next