Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:00 am 

Bitterman you fucking traitor, I wanted a ZERO from you for that piece of garbage Carcass put out. I guess I'll have to listen to the whole thing myself and write my own review if other reviewers are too incompetent to give an album its proper rating.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:43 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Not to mention that Surgical Steel needs at least review that isn't thoughtless fluff praise anyways. Hell, I hadn't even heard it until I decided to write this comment (it's pretty solid so far, actually), but holy shit it annoys me to death that practically nobody's willing to even consider that it might be anything less than a 90% thus far. This happens a lot with new albums, it seems - the middling/negative reviews only start pouring in months or years after the fact and it's irritating.

Unfortunately that's how it works with new releases by hyped bands, all the fanboys review first and the more discerning are busy listening to better stuff. :lol: It deserves a 75-80% really, just an enjoyable album.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:38 am 

been working on a review for the new Carcass for awhile. I just haven't been able to finish it. I fucking hate that album...

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:58 am 

droneriot wrote:
Bitterman you fucking traitor, I wanted a ZERO from you for that piece of garbage Carcass put out. I guess I'll have to listen to the whole thing myself and write my own review if other reviewers are too incompetent to give an album its proper rating.

:lol: 10%!! This must be the best metal album since 1993!!1!eleven

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:00 am 

Was the review posted with a 10% score? Because as I see it now it's a plain 0%. Maybe I'm reading this wrong but if by any chance the score was changed between the original acceptance and the above posts then you know what it means...

... somebody's watching us... :oh shit:

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:18 am 

Ha, yeah last night it was 10%. I remember because when I submitted my Melechesh one the Carcass review was right there waiting with all its glorious UltraBoris-isms.

What kind of robot do you have to be to think just because something was released after 1993 that it automatically sucks?
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:41 am 

He actually went and changed a couple other of his reviews to have lower scores aside from the Carcass one. He brought the Disincarnate review down 10 points and brought at least a couple others to 0%.

All the comparisons to UltraBoris got me to go and read a few of his own reviews since I wasn't around when he was active. My oh my, how glad I am the standards of reviewing were raised.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:03 pm 

'Mellow-deaf...'. This bitterman guy needs to be shot in the head.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:05 pm 

I just love how apparently "fist in the air" and "arena rock" are suddenly poisonous terms. I get that not everyone is totally into that but the way bitterman and some other detractors of the new Carcass are talking, it's like those qualities are the absolute nadir of music. God forbid there actually be anything catchy, headbangable or fun in music, right? Same thing for when people use "rock star" as if it is some kind of detrimental thing.

Plus to think the new Carcass sounds like that is to not understand anything about what "arena rock" or similar terms actually are. The new Carcass is actually not like that at all, in the least.

Andromeda_Unchained
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:07 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Not to mention that Surgical Steel needs at least review that isn't thoughtless fluff praise anyways. Hell, I hadn't even heard it until I decided to write this comment (it's pretty solid so far, actually), but holy shit it annoys me to death that practically nobody's willing to even consider that it might be anything less than a 90% thus far. This happens a lot with new albums, it seems - the middling/negative reviews only start pouring in months or years after the fact and it's irritating.

Hey, I think I gave it a pretty solid write up. :P

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:42 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I just love how apparently "fist in the air" and "arena rock" are suddenly poisonous terms. I get that not everyone is totally into that but the way bitterman and some other detractors of the new Carcass are talking, it's like those qualities are the absolute nadir of music. God forbid there actually be anything catchy, headbangable or fun in music, right? Same thing for when people use "rock star" as if it is some kind of detrimental thing.

Plus to think the new Carcass sounds like that is to not understand anything about what "arena rock" or similar terms actually are. The new Carcass is actually not like that at all, in the least.

Yeah a lot of what you said has been baffling me lately. Huge, catchy anthems are goddamn awesome, there's a reason I'm such a big Battle Beast fan. Do these people all hate Iron Maiden too? Or do they only like the long songs on Seventh Son?

And I really don't understand the hate for the new Carcass. If you don't like it, sure, but it's pretty inoffensive and not all that different from something like Heartwork. It's not like they came back and suddenly decided to slap all their old fans in the face, they more just came back and picked up where they left off. Not really worthy of the Unspoken King treatment it's been getting on the forums.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:45 pm 

Iron Maiden is exactly like Battle Beast? There are no great enough differences between the two bands that would explain why one might be preferred over the other? Total nonsense.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:47 pm 

I... uhh, didn't say that? I compared them, yes, in the sense that they're both bands prone to big fist pumping anthems. Yeah, Iron Maiden is generally more developed, but they're not entirely dissimilar. I'm mainly just addressing the point Emp brought up about anthemic heavy metal apparently being a negative thing to some people.

Though I do admit that something like Accept would have been a better comparison. Not sure why I didn't think of them when I was writing that.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:56 pm 

Surgical Steel was given the TUK treatment in these boards? I must have missed it somehow.

I've witnessed disappointment and complaints of it being less than stellar, bland and unoriginal, even unnecessary. But the worst thing ever? Sure you'll have one or two lonely souls crying murder for another post-SOS train wreck, but didn't we learn to ignore them for the best part of the past 20 years?

Giving SS a really low score is hyperbolic at its best and stupid at its worst. The album is decent, albeit unspectacular for a band carrying such a legacy.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:57 pm 

Andromeda_Unchained wrote:
MutantClannfear wrote:

Hey, I think I gave it a pretty solid write up. :P

LOW 80 IS JUST A MID-90 WITHOUT THE COMMITMENT NO POINTS FOR YOU :tongue:

Hahaha, guys, bitterman linked to http://deathmetal.org (ANUS 2.0, for those not in the know) as his homepage. That... elucidates his position beyond a shadow of a doubt, I guess. :lol:

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:58 pm 

Yes, fun is bad. Enjoying music is also bad. Stop pumping your fists. Stop headbanging all the time god damn it. This is DEATH metal. It's serious business.

In all seriousness, bitterman sucks and that review was terrible. It's not a good album, by all means. But that review is :ugh:

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:02 pm 

Yeah... I think the new Carcass is solid and enjoyable and I pretty much only listen to black metal these days. Early Iron Maiden is also one of my favorite just heavy metal bands and I liked the "I" and Demonaz releases a lot more than I expected, but those were kind of still black metal... Anyway I'm posting to say that I want to see Bitterman shock everyone with a 100% review already! come on man!

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:07 pm 

Surgical must be the most overhyped and overrated thing of this year by a mile. People is going apeshit for it when in reality is just a more blasty HW with forgettable riffs. A 0% is indeed stupid but 90% or higher is just blind/deaf fanboyism. Pretty much like (modern) Gibson guitars, the brand is way more expensive/valuable than the guitar itself.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:34 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
What kind of fucking moron/shitty troll do you have to be to think just because something was released after 1993 that it automatically sucks?

FTFY

Obligatory Last FM Link

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:54 pm 

I don't really think bitterman is all that similar to UltraBoris. Yeah, UltraBoris was prone to hyperbole; ok, he basically made a career of it. But he never came across so goddamn conceited as this bitterman clown. He also didn't shit out 0% ratings hand-over-fist like this guy does. Seriously, look at his reviews - nearly all of them are 0%, with the occasional 10% and 20% cropping up here and there. And as to his whole 'only 12 good albums have come out since 1993' idea... yeah, I suppose that's true if you've only heard 20 albums in your life. I guess we'd better shitcan Pagan Altar's discography, guys: it's no good after all.

Last edited by ~Guest 171512 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:05 pm 

Bitterman has submitted 4 0% (Deafheaven, Watain, Pantera, Broken Hope), this shit is getting tiring. We get it dude, you're kvlt.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:11 pm 

He's changed the Disincarnate score... again... At first it was 40, then 30, now 20...

I suspect this guy is lurking this thread and constantly changes the scores in order to get more shit talk about him. I mean, isn't there a rule against submitting a review with a score based on a text and then keep cutting the score at will? I'm not talking dropping like 5%, but that one in particular has gone down to half its value without any justification, or addendum to the text.

Now, if that's not trolling I don't know what is!

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:15 pm 

While he probably does hate everything released after 1993 except for about 0.8 albums per year like he says, I think he's playing it up for the purposes of getting attention, as evidenced by the scores of his pre-existing reviews constantly dropping to reflect his 0% gimmick. He wants to be the car crash that we all slow down to watch. In that respect, he's just as plastic and phony as the records that he lambastes for it.

Anyway, I just don't mesh with the review philosophy of 'what can I hate today?' as opposed to 'Do I like or dislike this and why?', especially when that's all you do, so his reviews don't really mean anything for me.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:23 pm 

Yeah the whole "changing his scores" thing is really dishonest and so far has been the only one of his antics to actually annoy me. He pretty much lost my "hey-at-least-he-can-drum-up-discussion-so-I'll-support-him-even-if-he's-a-retard" support with that move.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:43 pm 

The terrible derogatory genre puns are the most annoying for me. He does seem to be running with the troll ball more openly now, I mean earlier he was sticking to obscure albums no one would care about half the time, now he's hitting bigger, more attention grabbing bands.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:08 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:
What kind of fucking moron/shitty troll do you have to be to think just because something was released after 1993 that it automatically sucks?

FTFY

We've been talking about him almost exclusively for, like, the past five pages of this thread. If he's a troll, I'd say he's doing a damn fine job.

Andromeda_Unchained
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:17 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
LOW 80 IS JUST A MID-90 WITHOUT THE COMMITMENT NO POINTS FOR YOU :tongue:

At least I didn't go all fan-boy. :lol:

On the subject of bitterman, I wouldn't mind the guy if he was actually funny. If he's still doing this in six months I'll be impressed.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:46 pm 

I haven't been keeping close tabs on the guy, but I don't see much wrong with that Carcass review. Although, I doubt that Eddie Trunk would listen anything as "wicked underground" as Carcass.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:42 pm 

I wonder when bitterman will hit the old school death metal revival. Most of his choices so far seem to be shooting fish in a barrel. As I'm sure he is reading this thread, I recommend going after the sole albums by Disma and Dead Congregation since those seem to be the most highly regarded.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:55 pm 

john sunlight disappears again, Bitterman arrives.. Is this the second coming of Tepes? In which case I wish he'd put his Slough Feg and Nadja reviews back up.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:22 am 

bitterman is great, hail negativity haha...some of you need to relax a 'bit'

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:16 am 

Chaosmonger wrote:
bitterman is great, hail negativity haha...some of you need to relax a 'bit'

Negativity is alright. It'd be cool to have a decent reviewer who focused on writing negative pieces, for a change. The problem is that Bitterman isn't a decent reviewer. Far from it, in fact.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:24 pm 

And he lowered even more scores last night. He now only has four reviews above 0%.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:34 pm 

If only we could get y'all to watch over the report queue like this, we'd be all set.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:33 pm 

The dude's got 22 reviews, 18 of those are 0% and his highest score is 20%. What a guy.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:08 pm 

Maybe people should just stop bitching about bitterman's reviews and move on.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:58 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Maybe people should just stop bitching about bitterman's reviews and move on.

Pssshhh. This entire thread is about discussing irrelevant minutiae of reviews, of course we're not going to move on from it.

You must admit, his presence has made this part of the forum much livelier!

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:04 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
You must admit, his presence has made this part of the forum much livelier!

Still waiting for the next guy to come in and make a thread saying that review extremes need to not affect the average.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:16 pm 

I'm going to propose that all scores within 25% margin of the median score shouldn't affect the average. Just because.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:21 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I'm going to propose that all scores within 25% margin of the median score shouldn't affect the average. Just because.

I bet you're just mad because someone gave a mediocre score to an album you really hated.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165 ... 521  Next