Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:42 pm 

Tanuki wrote:
Excellent Gods of Violence review by Diamhea. Very descriptive, very matter-of-fact, very professional. Didn't care for the album itself, personally, but I still agreed with a lot of the points made.

Agreed! I was going to post about it until I saw Tanuki beat me to it. I just read the review and it was spot on. Great work Diamhea!

Like your reviews?

The Crazy Old School Music Fan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:04 pm 

demonomania wrote:
Old School Music "Should Be Fed Into A Sharp-Bladed" Fan.

:lol:

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:12 pm 

TrooperEd wrote:
I said it was obesely morbid. As in, very very VERY morbid.

Obscenely morbid? Obese means fat. Morbidly obese means you're so fat that you could die without intervention.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:42 pm 

Kudos to TheStormIRide for his review of the Hellripper debut. I'm listening to this album right now on Bandcamp and it is fucking bad ass! This review summed up this album quite nicely.

Like your reviews?

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:36 am 

Thanks mjollnir! I had been waiting for that album for ages and it did not disappoiint! McBain is a fricking riff machine!

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:28 pm 

Yeah it's a pretty bad ass album. I actually found them right before I came here and saw you did a review for the album. I'm going to soak it in and probably add my own two cents later this week.

Like your reviews?

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:15 pm 

mjollnir wrote:
Yeah it's a pretty bad ass album. I actually found them right before I came here and saw you did a review for the album. I'm going to soak it in and probably add my own two cents later this week.

Can't wait to hear someone else's take on Hellripper. I feel like an echo chamber so far. : D

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:58 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/P ... know/69704

This has got to be one of the worst, most idiotic reviews I have ever read, every single paragraph he introduces a new point more moronic than the last. Was the purpose to be some kind of challenge? How many completely idiotic points he can put in a single review?

Basically the first paragraph is meaningless, then he spends half the review talking about how all songs on an album should be in the same style (the fuck?), which he concludes with the claim that a listener should not have to put effort into listening to music and will not enjoy music if he has to put effort into listening. Like something the head of the Eagles or Carpenters fanclub would write, elevator music being the be-all-end-all of musical accomplishment.

Then he continues to... not describe the music in any way beyond "The croaking vocals, the well executed guitar work and the solid production" and "the slightly annoying drum-computer.", which describes about ten thousand bands from a dozen different subgenres. So after reading the review I have no idea what the music might sound like. And oneyoudontknow had no idea how to critique it.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:12 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/J ... tal/154628

This idea that there are people who shouldn't be listening to metal (because, apparently, they don't have the right tastes) is so dumb and wrongheaded.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:22 am 

People just don't get "the complex musical foundation of the heavy metal written at that point" - songs like "Paranoid" or "Iron Man" are basically a more advanced version of Bach, after all.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:24 am 

Yeah, metal is a secret cult and only the chosen few, forever cursed/blessed to be outsiders from this wretched mainstream society, are allowed in. Everyone else needs to fuck off and will never be allowed into the secret club.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:08 am 

The sad part is that apart from that, he's actually right. British Steel is lame and it's definitely in the lower portion of Priest's legacy. Not because it's "commercial" (I have no problems with commercial metal and that should certainly be clear by now), but because it's just really dumb. Painkiller is also a dumb album but it's a Top 5 All Time release for me. They had a shitload more energy and effort put into the latter, whereas the former just sounds like a bunch of first drafts for the most part. However, I will not stand for any trash talk of Breaking the Law, that one fucking rules.

British Steel is lame because it sounds effortless, not because it was accessible and popular. That also describes Screaming for Vengeance and that album smokes.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:29 am 

I have no problem with commercial metal either, and I don't have a problem with the commercial metal on that album, only with the roughly two thirds of the album that are commercial arena rock instead.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:35 pm 

Nice to see a couple other review for Satan's Hallow coming in. Here's hoping these guys blow up real soon!

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:10 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Nice to see a couple other review for Satan's Hallow coming in. Here's hoping these guys blow up real soon!

I hope they do too. That album surprised the shit outta me.

Like your reviews?

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:30 am 

Have to say Napero's review of Ashes Against the Grain was pretty excellent. The way he describes the trajectory of Agalloch's discography is pretty spot on (although I don't personally consider Ashes their magnum opus) and good point on Serpent being perhaps too well-executed for its own good.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:06 pm 

Thank you. It's a review that's been sort of bubbling under ever since they split up. I got the final inspiration on a Saturday morning with a cup of coffee, had to get it out of the system, so to speak.

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:17 am 

Man, I've started and abandoned attempts to write a review for Ashes Against the Grain like twenty times because it's my favorite album ever and I can never quite find the words. Now I'm definitely never going to write one because you said everything I could have and then some. So, thank you for that, but also, screw you for that.

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:05 pm 

BastardHead's review of Satan's Hallow is a great read. I'm glad that this band is getting the exposure it deserves! If you have not allowed yourself the pleasure of hearing that awesome debut....do so immediately!

Like your reviews?

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:07 pm 

mjollnir wrote:
BastardHead's review of Satan's Hallow is a great read. I'm glad that this band is getting the exposure it deserves! If you have not allowed yourself the pleasure of hearing that awesome debut....do so immediately!

My favorite part was the end. Lloyd Christmas on bass.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:22 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:
mjollnir wrote:

My favorite part was the end. Lloyd Christmas on bass.

The entire review was a lead up to a Dumb and Dumber reference. I am the greatest comedian who ever lived!

For real though, I don't personally think that's one of my better ones simply because I wrote it so quick and I think I just gushed more than actually described the music as much as I would have liked to, but I don't really have words for it. It's just damn awesome and everybody should hear it. Thanks for the shout out! I always appreciate it.

Spoiler: show
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

The Crazy Old School Music Fan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:02 pm 

This review of Cold Lake calls Celtic Frost "Swedish pioneers". Did the band suddenly change countries since I last read about them?

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:40 pm 

He probably meant to write Swiss and just wasn't paying attention.

untappd: patrick_g

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:30 pm 

The fact that that review refers to "glam metal" and then follows with "real metal" is almost laughable. Glam metal in the '80s was never looked at any differently than other metal (before thrash took over). No snobs walked around saying "Priest and Dio are good REAL metal but Bon Jovi, Dokken, Warrant and Motley Crue aren't real metal". It was all real metal, no pricks acting like there's such a HUGE difference between hair bands and bands like Dio, Diamond Head, or Sabbath. All of the metal stations played both, and some of the ones of today still play both. Newer metalheads that want to act like anything that doesn't fit their screamy definition of metal isn't metal, when that kind of metal was around first. If anything they should call their music something else. I feel like this is one of the biggest problems in the metal community today. Christ, I wasn't even born in that time period, but it seems like it should be common sense.

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 4:13 pm 

A lot of metal heads talked shit on glam and hair bands back then. For instance it's no secret that Metallica hated Motley Crue and their ilk.

untappd: patrick_g

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:02 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
The fact that that review refers to "glam metal" and then follows with "real metal" is almost laughable. Glam metal in the '80s was never looked at any differently than other metal (before thrash took over). No snobs walked around saying "Priest and Dio are good REAL metal but Bon Jovi, Dokken, Warrant and Motley Crue aren't real metal". It was all real metal, no pricks acting like there's such a HUGE difference between hair bands and bands like Dio, Diamond Head, or Sabbath. All of the metal stations played both, and some of the ones of today still play both. Newer metalheads that want to act like anything that doesn't fit their screamy definition of metal isn't metal, when that kind of metal was around first. If anything they should call their music something else. I feel like this is one of the biggest problems in the metal community today. Christ, I wasn't even born in that time period, but it seems like it should be common sense.

Where in the world do you get that story from? Glam "metal" was as looked down upon by metalheads in the 80s as it's been ever since. I guess everyone wants to imagine some idealised 80s in his or her own way, but what you describe just isn't true in any way.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:08 pm 

Yeah it's almost like several of the forefathers of thrash, especially in America, openly hated and stated that their desire for faster and heavier music was an intentional pushback against the MTV approved hair bands and inspiration came from a hybrid of punk and the very clearly defined "other" subsect of "real metal" populated by Motorhead, Dio, Sabbath, Saxon, Judas Priest, etc. Don't pretend that denim-clad weekend warriors covered in Accept and Manowar patches were all about glossy pretty-boys who played pop rock with the only recognizable metal element being screaming guitar solos and likewise hairsprayed and guyliner'd glam fans were headbanging to the first Iron Maiden album until Slayer came around. Nobody is saying it's wrong to like both styles, and nobody is saying no bands toed the line or got mixed up in the scenes due to their looks (WASP, Twisted Sister, Dokken, etc) but there was a clear divide even back then.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:30 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
Christ, I wasn't even born in that time period, but it seems like it should be common sense.

Being young isn't the issue here. Making another version of history based on totally arbitrary and personal views is.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:34 pm 

What's really wrong with the metal scene is, on this forum anyway, the notion that it's easy to know what it was like "back then" when you weren't there. Usually people are wrong when they do that.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:04 pm 

Well thrash is certainly what created the great divide, and yes, there is a difference between Saxon and Cinderella (just as examples), but it wasn't enough of a difference to the point that it makes Cinderella "not metal" (by MA standards they may not be but many others consider them to be). I've talked to many people who grew up and lived in the time, and the majority didn't see glam as not "real metal". To notice a difference is fine, but to say that just because one is different makes it "not metal" is bullshit.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:53 pm 

Man, you're just digging your own grave right now! [*]

* http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Di ... _Ever/4614

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:01 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
Cinderella "not metal" ... To notice a difference is fine, but to say that just because one is different makes it "not metal" is bullshit.

Noticing a difference is exactly what puts them into a different category.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:20 pm 

It is, but it's still metal. I'm not really arguing that it's the exact same, I'm arguing that people say it isn't real metal. Motley Crue, Dokken, Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister, Skid Row, Loudness, and W.A.S.P., were all considered "hair bands" and are also all on this website (which I understand has strict guidelines for what metal is). So how can any of you say that glam isn't true metal, if all of those bands are on MA?

I've read a handful of books on some of these bands that refer to themselves as metal (or at least books that have mentioned such bands as metal). I've seen documentaries where others consider them metal. I own metal compilations such as "80s metal mania" and "80s mega metal". Look at the tracks, almost ALL hair bands. Are they the exact same as Saxon, Priest, Dio, etc? No. But are they similar enough that they're metal? Absolutely. I get it, I'm in the minority in this argument, but glam metal is still REAL metal.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:33 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
So how can any of you say that glam isn't true metal, if all of those bands are on MA?

You should know by now that the site runs on an album by album basis and that bands with even just one album that's metal enough yadda yadda Ulver yadda yadda Rush.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:44 pm 

If that's the case with those bands, and they all only got accepted due to one album, then I'm curious as to which one album by each band was the one that allowed the band to make the cut. I guess only a mod could answer this.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:05 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
If that's the case with those bands, and they all only got accepted due to one album, then I'm curious as to which one album by each band was the one that allowed the band to make the cut. I guess only a mod could answer this.

Crue: clearly Shout at the Devil
WASP: they have several really fucking metal albums such as The Crimson Idol

Not familiar enough with the other bands to say (I don't really like hard rock to be honest.)

One important thing to consider is the evolution of the use of genre names through its history but also through the medias. The presence of glam on metal compilations doesn't mean that it's TRUE heavy metal just that it was something popular at the time. It would be the same thing if a bunch of djent and deathcore bands appear on a BEST OF 2010s METAL! compilation because based on the mainstream medias, those genres are metal.

Also, glam metal appeared AFTER the genesis of the genre and the birth of iconic "true" metal bands such as Priest, Maiden, Motorhead etc so by actual historical definition, it would be revisionism to call the genre "true" metal. Feel free to think whatever you want though :)

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:24 am 

I have a very broad definition of metal myself but calling Bon Jovi metal or even related to it would even go much too far in my book. That being said, all older metal fans I have known who have grown up in the eighties despised glam rock and metal acts like Motley Crue and the likes and rather identified with heavy and thrash metal bands. Metal fans in the eighties weren't more tolerant than today, it's probably even the other way around with the numerous sub-genres that tend to be accepted today.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:25 am 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:

Dude, if you don't know WASP well enough to answer, then you should probably not talk about this kind of stuff.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:15 am 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:

I don't see why they should indulge you when you act like this. Just ask a politely-worded question instead of carrying on so irritatingly. Besides, take it up in the Why Was Band X Rejected thread. This conversation isn't even about reviews.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:32 am 

:lol: SweetLeaf95 you are cracking me up here. I have to chime in. You could not be more wrong. Cinderella may be Riki Rachtman "metal" but metal they were not. There may have been bands that looked glam but played metal like Lizzy Borden or Dokken, but most hair bands were not metal. I was there back in the day...you are wrong.

Like your reviews?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313 ... 520  Next