Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
NovembersDirge
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:40 am 

Hey, someone used a review from my site [AngryMetalGuy.com], without linking directly to the post and they changed the rating. In essence, they are misleading people to think that a) they wrote the review for my site and b) that I like the better record better than I do (by giving it a 95% instead of a 70%). I am happy to post my reviews here, but I was under the impression that this was frowned upon (that is, that it would be considered to be spamming for my website and not appropriate). If this is not the case, feel free to say so and I'll gladly post my reviews on here (as I've thought about doing it in the past).

I would kindly request that the review be removed from where it exists right now http://metal-archives.com/review.php?id=281836. Or that you at least change the rating from the 95% it was given to the 70% that I gave it (3.5/5.0).

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:36 am 

For an Angry Metal Guy you're awfully calm about being plagiarized, which is basically one of the most egregious offenses here.

Posting things from your site is totally fine, look at autothrall.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:20 am 

sillysillysilly just got dursted and I'll remove all of his reviews. Some seem to be "borrowed" from elsewhere.

You can, of course, submit your reviews here, but please include a link to your blog. It's not frowned upon, as ling as you are not sillysillysilly...

NovembersDirge
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:52 am 

Yeah, well, you get used to it when you're doing a blog. Apparently everything on the internet is free domain whether or not it should be and if you were to get upset about people stealing your shit, I think you'd pretty much have to disconnect from the web altogether.

Shit, in some ways it's good that it happened because it means that new people will come in and look at the blog. But yeah, being really pissed about this, while gratifying, is pointless.

But thanks for deleting that shit, I'll repost it with a more appropriate rating and a link.

holyrebels
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:24 pm 

NovembersDirge wrote:
Yeah, well, you get used to it when you're doing a blog. Apparently everything on the internet is free domain whether or not it should be and if you were to get upset about people stealing your shit, I think you'd pretty much have to disconnect from the web altogether.

Shit, in some ways it's good that it happened because it means that new people will come in and look at the blog. But yeah, being really pissed about this, while gratifying, is pointless.

But thanks for deleting that shit, I'll repost it with a more appropriate rating and a link.

Everything on the internet is NOT free domain. I would bet that if you find your reviews stolen elsewhere and reported it, the site owners there would react the same way and ban the sucker. Nobody has the right to swipe someone else's hard work.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:19 pm 

read his post again, holyrebels...

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

holyrebels
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:32 pm 

caspian wrote:
read his post again, holyrebels...

I understood what he said. He decided not to be pissed off about it, but reported the plagurism in a rational way. He wasn't saying that he didn't care that it happened, because if that were true he would not have reported it.

NovembersDirge
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:35 pm 

holyrebels wrote:
NovembersDirge wrote:

Everything on the internet is NOT free domain. I would bet that if you find your reviews stolen elsewhere and reported it, the site owners there would react the same way and ban the sucker. Nobody has the right to swipe someone else's hard work.

Well, I'm aware that it's not, and I agree with you, but dealing with, for example, Blogger is just a pain in the ass. There is basically no structure available to report plagiarism over there, it's Kafkaesque... so if someone steals your shit it's just gonna sit on that website until they delete it. So long as the people who steal my shit post a link to my website, I'm usually pretty alright with it. But I thought this was fucking lame because dude was misrepresenting the review in order to pump up the score of a record that he liked. That's not only classless, but it's just lame.

Oh, also, Spiritual Black Dimension Pt. II my ass. If only this record was anywhere near that kind of quality... :P

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:19 pm 

NovembersDirge wrote:
Oh, also, Spiritual Black Dimension Pt. II my ass. If only this record was anywhere near that kind of quality... :P

Finally someone who shares my appreciation for SBD :thumbsup:
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

NovembersDirge
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:41 am 

Lord_Jotun wrote:
NovembersDirge wrote:

Finally someone who shares my appreciation for SBD :thumbsup:

It's a pitifully underrated record, IMO.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:05 am 

NovembersDirge, a few corrections, I'd love it if you edited the reviews:
- reviews use <x> tags, not the [x] kind that work on the board
- HTML does not work, so you'll need to edit out the url tags from the link and use just the unedited URL.

NovembersDirge
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:12 pm 

Napero wrote:
NovembersDirge, a few corrections, I'd love it if you edited the reviews:
- reviews use <x> tags, not the [x] kind that work on the board
- HTML does not work, so you'll need to edit out the url tags from the link and use just the unedited URL.

Oh, cool. Will do.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.