Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:33 am 

How did this new Metallica review get through?

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ass/339452

I always thought there was a higher standard for excessively reviewed albums like this. A few problems with this:

1. He talks about Rob as if he was in the band for this album, when it's obviously Cliff
2. He spends the largest paragraph of the review on Some Kind of Monster, a movie which not only didn't come out for another 18 years, but also wasn't even about Master of Puppets
3. He contradicts himself by saying that this album is their biggest attempt at thrashing, and then in the last paragraph admits that Kill 'em All is their thrashiest release
4. He talks about Lars' skill with respect to live performances in modern times, rather than his actual performance on the record

All of these points are either factual errors, inconsistencies, or just poor review writing. It ignores the fact that his actual points are all so easy to tear down :lol:

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:30 am 

Spiner202 wrote:
stuff regarding brokeass' review

Yeah, that review is painful to read. For some reason, Master of Puppets has been receiving negative ratings from reviews for about a year now, only caspian's review breaking the chain. I don't understand what the hell's going on. :scratch:
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:37 am 

I'm generally uncomfortable overturning fellow mods' decisions, especially so soon after they were made, but holy shit this one is bad. Even apart from the bizarrely obvious factual inaccuracy mentioning Rob as the bassist and the constant harping on the band/album being "overrated" with little else to go on in terms of qualitative description (a highlight is "fast picking" on Disposable Heroes), it's even loaded with awkward Engrish and can't seem to stay on topic for the life of itself. Sorry, somebody was asleep at the wheel on this one.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:46 am 

Oh Christ, I thought I hit "reject" but I'll be honest, I got back from the bar last night and don't remember much after. This is just one of those mistakes.

In fact, all of those reviews accepted in that timeframe need to be looked at again.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:47 am 

Shit happens, no worries!
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:07 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Oh Christ, I thought I hit "reject" but I'll be honest, I got back from the bar last night and don't remember much after. This is just one of those mistakes.

In fact, all of those reviews accepted in that timeframe need to be looked at again.

:lol: I love you, Diamhea.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:16 pm 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
A handful more of Snxke's work:

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... /Snxke/267 - incredibly short, no music description
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... /Snxke/267 - no music description
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... /Snxke/267 - track-by-track
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... /Snxke/267 - track-by-track
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... /Snxke/267 - several sentences of "it rocks", with a single sentence about music at the end

Any followup on these?

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:02 pm 

All nuked. Garbage. Full stop.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:43 am 

Maybe tomorrow I'll run through Snxke's backlog and see if ANY are acceptable by today's standards. They've gone up over the years but they haven't changed THAT much. It's almost astounding how often those reviews need nuking.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:29 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... I%29/8795/

Doesn't really say a lot.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:36 am 

Almost all of his reviews are like that, barely a regular album-thread post in length: https://www.metal-archives.com/users/Plague

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:43 am 

colin040 wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Blood_of_Christ/As_the_Rain_Gently_Falls_%28Anthology_II%29/8795/

Doesn't really say a lot.

Poof.

Last.fm

islwnd
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:40 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ank/202503

Looking only at the bad things. as if he can find ONE album that can replace this one, genre wise ["depressive" Black/Doom]. Better is always based on the options: let alone all those others are actually redundant genre-wise, and this album took doom and made it more depressive without actually going depressive black metal. Any record is monotonous in at least one way, and it's like saying all thrash is bad and then reviewing such an album, saying it's monotonous. Death metal is horribly monotonous to me, and black metal can be monotonous to a death metal fan. Mostly just selective criticism on that review, and not being half neutral. A review is meant to have some logical points, not strictly charged, and then based on that, making selective criticism. Nothing more than a bandwagon jump, pretending 86% isn't decent enough already, and that the review has anything to add as it is. Anyways, I don't care about your replies to this post, so I won't read your replies to this post. What's the point of writing a "better" reply when even posting one is surely pointless. Read the album name by the way: Melancholy. It'll obviously be monotonous to someone who isn't melancholic, just like anger can be monotonous to someone who is depressed. Trist on instruments in that album, how about reviewing that one: https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Life_Is_Pain/80997 Doesn't look so appealing now is it, ironically that album is also irreplaceable [Depressive Black Metal]. And no, I'm not a fan of anyone in the world. I can't afford to not be neutral in my life as it is, for the reason that it's actually filled with negative, unlike some things. Good day.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:23 am 

It's like you didn't get the memo last time that disagreeing with someone's opinion about an album is not grounds for having their review nuked from the site.

BastardHead wrote:

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:26 am 

islwnd wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Trist/Zrcadlen%C3%AD_melancholie/156510/Wilytank/202503

Looking only at the bad things. as if he can find ONE album that can replace this one, genre wise ["depressive" Black/Doom]. Better is always based on the options: let alone all those others are actually redundant genre-wise, and this album took doom and made it more depressive without actually going depressive black metal. Any record is monotonous in at least one way, and it's like saying all thrash is bad and then reviewing such an album, saying it's monotonous. Death metal is horribly monotonous to me, and black metal can be monotonous to a death metal fan. Mostly just selective criticism on that review, and not being half neutral. A review is meant to have some logical points, not strictly charged, and then based on that, making selective criticism. Nothing more than a bandwagon jump, pretending 86% isn't decent enough already, and that the review has anything to add as it is. Anyways, I don't care about your replies to this post, so I won't read your replies to this post. What's the point of writing a "better" reply when even posting one is surely pointless. Read the album name by the way: Melancholy. It'll obviously be monotonous to someone who isn't melancholic, just like anger can be monotonous to someone who is depressed. Trist on instruments in that album, how about reviewing that one: https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Life_Is_Pain/80997 Doesn't look so appealing now is it, ironically that album is also irreplaceable [Depressive Black Metal]. And no, I'm not a fan of anyone in the world. I can't afford to not be neutral in my life as it is, for the reason that it's actually filled with negative, unlike some things. Good day.

You really are insecure about your tastes aren't you? Your argument basically boils down to "This album is brilliant, you philistine! Why won't you see the light!?" Also, trying to dare me to review some other album you really like is lame. Grow up, I'm not going to do that.

What's this about being half neutral? Reviews are about presenting your opinion. You're supposed to call out what's good and bad, and here the bad more than outshines the good.

Needing the right attitude or mindset in order to properly enjoy music is stupid. I don't need to be angry to enjoy death metal, and I don't even need to feel depressed to enjoy Forgotten Tomb's Springtime Depression. Same idea as those who say "You need to be high as a fucking kite to enjoy this." If you need to be in a certain mindset to properly enjoy something, it probably isn't that good to begin with.

Finally, stop saying there's doom metal in Trist. There isn't. Whoever set that tag on the MA page long ago was some moron who thinks slow music = doom metal. This is depressive black/doom metal. This is funeral doom metal with black metal elements. Trist has no doom metal in their mix.

islwnd
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:14 am 

Wilytank wrote:
islwnd wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Trist/Zrcadlen%C3%AD_melancholie/156510/Wilytank/202503

You really are insecure about your tastes aren't you? Your argument basically boils down to "This album is brilliant, you philistine! Why won't you see the light!?" Also, trying to dare me to review some other album you really like is lame. Grow up, I'm not going to do that.

What's this about being half neutral? Reviews are about presenting your opinion. You're supposed to call out what's good and bad, and here the bad more than outshines the good.

Needing the right attitude or mindset in order to properly enjoy music is stupid. I don't need to be angry to enjoy death metal, and I don't even need to feel depressed to enjoy Forgotten Tomb's Springtime Depression. Same idea as those who say "You need to be high as a fucking kite to enjoy this." If you need to be in a certain mindset to properly enjoy something, it probably isn't that good to begin with.

Finally, stop saying there's doom metal in Trist. There isn't. Whoever set that tag on the MA page long ago was some moron who thinks slow music = doom metal. This is depressive black/doom metal. This is funeral doom metal with black metal elements. Trist has no doom metal in their mix.

You're not impressing me, you don't even listen to DSBM. You should grow up my egotistical hypocrite. Now I'll do something better than replying to someone who thinks if he phrases something "well", that it changes what it really is about. It doesn't. And if there's anyone that is insecure, it's you. Look how you jump, worked hard on that review didn't you. You can't even control yourself enough to not show how much you know nothing of basic things, or non-stigmatized language. The genre is correct, but to a limited degree like any other genre that has 1000 bands listed as it, and you say that mod was stupid, but there's a reason you're not a mod. You clearly have no goal, other than satisfy your own insecurities, for the fake goal of proving something, when you're shifting the subject in the first place. I wonder why. Too bad your tower of deceit crumbled. You can't compensate for anything, even if you're mad, and that's sad. I'm not surprised it unwrapped like that, as it only proves you come here for your own sake rather than MA's. Where is your emotional depth now, didn't have it when you wrote the review. The more I see the less I want to bother with you. Couldn't stand not to reply to me, try withdrawing it now.

Good day copycat.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:08 am 

Spoiler: show

Shockingly, another piece of trash courtesy of Snxke: https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... /Snxke/267. 1 whole sentence about music in another short, poorly worded review.

BastardHead wrote:

meshigene
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:47 am 

man it seems like islwnd is even more fun at parties than MetalCuresHeadaches at 9am after a 14 hour graveyard shift. but I'm positive I'm just stating the obvious here.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:51 pm 

islwnd, give it up, seriously. Wily's review is more than acceptable, as was the previous one you brought up. Not everybody likes Trist, some of them want to review it as such. As a fan of many oft maligned bands here; get over it. Also, mega lol at you accusing Wily of being "someone who thinks if he phrases something "well", that it changes what it really is about" while you sit here posting longwinded butthurt diatribes whenever somebody negatively reviews this album while acting like the fact that you use neutral language somehow disguises the incredibly obvious butthurt.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:14 pm 

islwnd wrote:
You're not impressing me, you don't even listen to DSBM. You should grow up my egotistical hypocrite. Now I'll do something better than replying to someone who thinks if he phrases something "well", that it changes what it really is about. It doesn't. And if there's anyone that is insecure, it's you. Look how you jump, worked hard on that review didn't you. You can't even control yourself enough to not show how much you know nothing of basic things, or non-stigmatized language. The genre is correct, but to a limited degree like any other genre that has 1000 bands listed as it, and you say that mod was stupid, but there's a reason you're not a mod. You clearly have no goal, other than satisfy your own insecurities, for the fake goal of proving something, when you're shifting the subject in the first place. I wonder why. Too bad your tower of deceit crumbled. You can't compensate for anything, even if you're mad, and that's sad. I'm not surprised it unwrapped like that, as it only proves you come here for your own sake rather than MA's. Where is your emotional depth now, didn't have it when you wrote the review. The more I see the less I want to bother with you. Couldn't stand not to reply to me, try withdrawing it now.

Good day copycat.

I'm not here to impress you or convince you of anything because you've clearly made up your mind on the matter already; but if one of my own reviews is under question in a thread requesting for them to be deleted, I feel obligated to make a statement. It's funny you go talking about insecurities when anyone can see how whiny your tone is. And don't go claiming what I do or don't listen to because you do not know. I mean it's not like I've never said anything remotely positive about Trist in the past.

As for the issue of the genre, I know the workings of this site well enough that if I come across any factual irregularities, I can file a report or, in the case of music genre, make a case for a change in the proper thread in the S&C forum (as I have already done myself for this very band). These things aren't set in stone, and just because it's been that way for a while doesn't mean it's correct. I certainly don't hear any doom influence in Trist and I listen to a fair bit of doom metal.

islwnd
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:52 am 

BastardHead wrote:
islwnd, give it up, seriously. Wily's review is more than acceptable, as was the previous one you brought up. Not everybody likes Trist, some of them want to review it as such. As a fan of many oft maligned bands here; get over it. Also, mega lol at you accusing Wily of being "someone who thinks if he phrases something "well", that it changes what it really is about" while you sit here posting longwinded butthurt diatribes whenever somebody negatively reviews this album while acting like the fact that you use neutral language somehow disguises the incredibly obvious butthurt.

You're obviously speaking for yourself. Learn to not talk nonsense and have it point at no one but you, making guesses based on your narrow world, just like Wilytank. I actually do think you're trying to seem in a way and defend your circlejerk nerds, and fail miserably here, and besides that, I don't give a fuck. Go find something better to do than show up in here and spout out random off-topic bullshit, when Wilytank's reply is the one that actually reeks of salt.
Not like I expect anything to change, but anyone is allowed to state their opinion. Take it all as criticism, and see the real value of things. You think you know everything and it's obvious. Now, thought it was clear I ended it last time but you do know accusations, especially redundant ones, are incredibly dumb. Nice one, now let's move on. Either way, I don't give a fuck even if the album's score went to 0%, or anything beyond MA's purpose. Come to think of it, you're right, I shouldn't waste my time pointing out the bad things in a site, expecting anyone to not be "butthurt", in your own words. Won't see me in this topic anymore, it's a win-win.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:26 am 

islwnd wrote:
Won't see me in this topic anymore, it's a win-win.

Or anywhere else on the forums. What a fucking bitch.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:52 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 800/123798

First brags about how Portugal has the best doom metal band while his attempt at describing the music isn't saying a lot.

mittwinter
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:30 am 

I want to report this review of Nargaroth's Era of Threnody album:

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... dy/638315/

- There isn't one straight sentence with any substantial description or criticism of the music, composition, techniques or the lyrics.
- First and second paragraph basically go on about the fact that the author dislikes new musicians joining the composing and recording process of the album and that his expectations were disappointed. No relation to actual album content.
- Third paragraph especially, is insanely vague criticism of and assumptions about the lyrics (yet, the author even admits that he didn't understand most of them).
- Fourth paragraph is yet again another repetition that author's expectations were disappointed.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:55 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... rs/152546/

Is nitpicking about stuff that isn't about the actual music while his description is rather vague.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:24 am 

Quote:
Not a big fan of the topless girl representing Death on the cover. Decent picture, but again, appropriateness people!

:lol:

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:43 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... torn/29088

Why allow reviews of the same tone and maturity as Youtube comments?

Title: "GAY"
Quote: "This album is apparently revered in some (undoubtedly very gay) circles"

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:06 am 

Dembo wrote:
Why allow reviews of the same tone and maturity as Youtube comments?

While Noktorn's the living embodiment of a 12-year-old that just discovered 4chan, the staff has said before that stuff like what you described is not reason enough to dump his reviews. See this post; despite derailing the thread because he's bad at sarcasm, Dia more or less stated that Noktorn being a dipshit did not overshadow the fact that he meets the site's requirements for a review by describing the music in detail, and his offensive hyperbole in said reviews was irrelevant.

BastardHead wrote:

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:09 pm 

It may be true that those things are irrelevant to the site's policy of what makes a review acceptable, but the question of why still applies. Especially since even forum posters can get called out or banned for immature language, I'd imagine the quality control for what users put on the main site is of even higher importance.

Obviously any site may put the bar how low they want. Questions of why the bar is on a particular level isn't the same as questions about the site's right to put it there, or anything like that.

I would even say that it's because sites may put the bar on whatever level they want that it's relevant to ask about why it's put on a peculiar level. Especially when even many moderators seem to be against that type of (lack of) maturity, it becomes extra strange why they who have the power to raise the level from that of a middle school recess choose not to.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:33 pm 

Ok, no, this review will not fly with me (and us). It's super homophobic. It should had never been approved.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:04 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Ok, no, this review will not fly with me (and us). It's super homophobic. It should had never been approved.

Well if Noktorn using 'gay' and 'fag' to describe music he dislikes is enough to drop his reviews, please feel free to purge the following:

BastardHead wrote:

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:19 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... ion/28010/

Very, very brief review here.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:12 pm 

It's been linked already but Noktorn's review of this Fall of the Leafe album should be purged considering that last one was rejected for being homophobic. He literally panned the album for 'sounding gay', as if that constitutes actual musical description and is somehow a bad thing. It is both childish and offensive.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:19 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... art/110647

Number 1: It's rated "70%" yet talks about how it's such a horrible album
Number 2: Track by Track

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:23 pm 

poof

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:42 am 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:

Was anyone gonna comb through these? One got deleted after N_S brought it up, but the rest of these all feature Noktorn being a homophobe.

BastardHead wrote:

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:21 pm 

I'm not sure I agree with the removal of those reviews on such grounds. Using those terms isn't inherently homophobic in and of itself, and it'd be rather hypocritical of us to pursue a crusade over word choice when I know there's those among us guilty of using such terms in similar flippant fashion and form. I frown upon it, personally, but not enough to outright remove a review over it alone - it's vulgar, but not criminal. I trust and know that the original review rejected by Tony was done so with additional rationale.

In any case, this thread is OK to this point.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:38 pm 

For what it's worth, Noktorn is bisexual. Not that I think the site should remove a review simply for having the word "faggot" or using "gay" as an insult (I say this as an LGBT person myself), but I think he has a bit of leeway in its usage on a personal level.

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:58 pm 

I suggest the following review be removed on the grounds that the reviewer spends the whole review on how the band aped many other bands, but does not actually describe who or how other than how the vocalist sounds like Skepticism (Which he doesn't really...). If I didn't already know how it sounds like this review would not tell me anything other than its doom metal...

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... aut/121498

Spoiler: show
kapitankraut wrote:
Doom by the numbers

I'm told that, in their brief time together, the members of Ningizzia weren't often in the same room - one being French and the other Swedish. While that may not strictly be true, a lot of "Dolorous Novella" sounds as though it was composed at a distance, and it suffers from that.

A common problem with doom metal is that it's very difficult to be original. Stretch out too much in your compositions and risk being identified as a second-rate version of one legend, while the exact same fate awaits those who compress their music into shorter tracks. Sing in this way and sound like someone, sing in another way and sound like someone else. The genius of truly original doom is to take that template and manipulate it just enough to sound fresh and interesting without alienating the hardcore fanbase which expects at least something traditional.

Ningizzia, on the other hand, have released an album which is seemingly more than content to ape a lot of other bands. The result is something that's derivative and thus more likely to appeal to fans of the style than win new converts.

The most notable part of this is to be found in the harsh vocals. While these are undeniably well done, and treated with an echo effect to make them sound even more foreboding, they sound almost identical to a lot of Skepticism's work. Sure, Skepticism are a great band in their way and clearly someone any doom act would look up to, but sounding identical to them (the first two tracks in particular suffer from this problem) doesn't serve to impress any distinctiveness on the listener.

A lot of the rest of the album sounds similarly derivative. I can't quite put my finger on it, but throughout the album I've often caught myself thinking "I've heard this before, and better". It's all competently played and far from bad, but it's entirely generic stuff and not some massive new saviour of the style, as some have argued.

Hardcore doom fans will enjoy this, but casual listeners would be better off sticking to an established band.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:27 am 

Personally I don't care for arguments like "he is himself a member of [group]" or "I'm a member of [group] and have no problem with him using those words", since both are ad hominem and the latter can be used in opposite direction as soon as there is a member of the same group who do have a problem with those word usages.

But just for the record, my objection to his review was the low bar for tone and maturity. I think I will always be in disagreement with the site on where to place the bar, since Youtube comment section or middle school recess level doesn't seem to be a problem for reviews to be acceptable. Sometimes the bar is set lower for reviews than for posts on the forum, even though reviews have a much more prominent place on the site and doesn't serve the archival purpose more than forum posts.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223 ... 239  Next