Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/

Review passages: The good, the bad, and the what the christ
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29824
Page 4 of 42

Author:  Noktorn [ Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:18 pm ]
Post subject: 

Corimngul wrote:
From brutalfritzy's review of Abysmal Torment's Epoch Of Methodic Carnage (which I just accepted). This line makes me wonder:

Quote:
It's runtime is 41:48, which is pretty unusual for a brutal DM CD


Most brutal death metal albums are about a half hour long. It makes sense, even if he did phrase it somewhat strangely.

Author:  Gutterscream [ Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:40 pm ]
Post subject: 

From the latest Cinedracusio review (Overkill's Immortalis):

"It is very intriguing how Overkill became one of the top-notch bands in thrash. I could understand why Exodus, Ulysses Siren or Vio-Lence were big names, but Overkill?"

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=9079
Professional demo band Ulysses Siren? There was almost some soda-spittage for that one. Was that to see if we're paying attention, Cine?

Author:  cinedracusio [ Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:50 am ]
Post subject: 

Gutterscream wrote:
From the latest Cinedracusio review (Overkill's Immortalis):

"It is very intriguing how Overkill became one of the top-notch bands in thrash. I could understand why Exodus, Ulysses Siren or Vio-Lence were big names, but Overkill?"

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=9079
Professional demo band Ulysses Siren? There was almost some soda-spittage for that one. Was that to see if we're paying attention, Cine?

I might have exaggerated a little bit, Siren were actually rather overlooked. But my ferm opinion was and is that Overkill are one of the most irationally overrated bands around. I was never able to get entirely into their stuff. Siren, for example, beat most of Overkill's shit... And I wasn't referring quite to the grade of recognition of the band, but at the value of the music it has created. Sorry if I got somebody confused...

Author:  Gutterscream [ Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:26 am ]
Post subject: 

Gotcha. Just thought it was funny to pull that name out of nowhere.

Author:  cinedracusio [ Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:31 am ]
Post subject: 

:scratch::confused:

Author:  OlympicSharpshooter [ Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:30 am ]
Post subject: 

cinedracusio wrote:
:scratch::confused:


The way you phrased it indicates that Ulysses Siren and company were huge. You've omitted the key word 'if'.

"I could understand if Exodus, Ulysses Siren or Vio-Lence were big names, but Overkill?"

Author:  cinedracusio [ Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:11 pm ]
Post subject: 

What a shitty error. I'm as senile as a 200-year old.:annoyed:
Gotta rewrite it.
By the way, a proposal to admins: what if the possible edits of a review had a certain number? I mean, you can make one or more mistakes, but you cannot edit a review and resubmit it more than, say, three times.

Author:  Noktorn [ Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:08 pm ]
Post subject: 

cinedracusio wrote:
By the way, a proposal to admins: what if the possible edits of a review had a certain number? I mean, you can make one or more mistakes, but you cannot edit a review and resubmit it more than, say, three times.


Why?

Author:  cinedracusio [ Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:34 am ]
Post subject: 

To avoid too many edits...? I mean, let's suppose one or many users have viewed your review, and then you realize you may have forgotten some aspects that hadn't come to your mind while you were writing. And you edit the review... wouldn't it be kind of unprofessional or something like that? I'm not a professional myself, since I made several edits to several reviews I have written, so I say we get an exact number of permitted edits in order to make users more careful towards their texts...
However, I don't say it's an imperative, so... if people say that editting is okay and doesn't harm that badly, I will have no problem with that.

Author:  Napero [ Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:05 pm ]
Post subject: 

There's no point in preventing people from improving their reviews.

Author:  Noktorn [ Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:05 pm ]
Post subject: 

So is caspian's entire review writing career going to be based on Nadja? He might as well be an honorary member of the band.

Author:  caspian [ Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:23 am ]
Post subject: 

Noktorn wrote:
So is caspian's entire review writing career going to be based on Nadja? He might as well be an honorary member of the band.


For some reason a month or so ago I was like "I'm going to track down EVERY Nadja release and review it", and it seems like I'm almost done, though this band is so prolific that it's a neverending task. The dudes have got like 8 upcoming releases. Oh well, "Mine the task eternal" and all that.

Perhaps I should do Boris next? That may be more of a challenge, considering they have like 70 releases as opposed to 20.

Author:  cinedracusio [ Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:51 am ]
Post subject: 

Napero wrote:
There's no point in preventing people from improving their reviews.

Okay, that's fine with me.:grin:

Author:  zeingard [ Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:15 am ]
Post subject: 

caspian wrote:
Noktorn wrote:
So is caspian's entire review writing career going to be based on Nadja? He might as well be an honorary member of the band.


For some reason a month or so ago I was like "I'm going to track down EVERY Nadja release and review it", and it seems like I'm almost done, though this band is so prolific that it's a neverending task. The dudes have got like 8 upcoming releases. Oh well, "Mine the task eternal" and all that.

Perhaps I should do Boris next? That may be more of a challenge, considering they have like 70 releases as opposed to 20.


You should totally do it, we could hedge bets on how many reviews it'll take before your sanity cracks and nothing will be left but an empty shell of a man.

Author:  caspian [ Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:25 am ]
Post subject: 

I'm really warming to the idea of doing a review everything thing based on Boris, but it's even more unnecessary then a 'review all Nadja albums' thing, and tracking down some of their early, hopelessly out of print splits wouldn't be good times. Also, while I enjoy Boris I like Nadja a lot more so the task won't be as enjoyable. And I guess review-whoring isn't a very good thing, if such a thing exists.

Author:  requiem99 [ Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:03 pm ]
Post subject: 

caspian wrote:
Perhaps I should do Boris next? That may be more of a challenge, considering they have like 70 releases as opposed to 20.


I'd give 4:1 odds that Boris can release albums faster than you can review them.

Author:  DrOctavia [ Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:39 pm ]
Post subject: 

Metaphysical_Anomaly wrote:
Like Lindsay Lohan in "Mean Girls", young fresh and unspoiled, Amputated are a breath of fresh air for the UK metal scene. Much like we'd all like to see from the titillating Lohan, "Gargling With Infected Semen" uses content of a sexually perverse nature. Throughout the course of the album, conventionality, like Lohan, acts as the bitch with Amputated thoroughly raping and pillaging every moist silky hole and busting a huge cumload on it's figurative chest. Okay, I promise I'll stop talking about Lindsay Lohan........with her big fuckable tits and her tight ass.

Author:  EternalForest [ Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:55 am ]
Post subject: 

DrOctavia wrote:
Metaphysical_Anomaly wrote:
Like Lindsay Lohan in "Mean Girls", young fresh and unspoiled, Amputated are a breath of fresh air for the UK metal scene. Much like we'd all like to see from the titillating Lohan, "Gargling With Infected Semen" uses content of a sexually perverse nature. Throughout the course of the album, conventionality, like Lohan, acts as the bitch with Amputated thoroughly raping and pillaging every moist silky hole and busting a huge cumload on it's figurative chest. Okay, I promise I'll stop talking about Lindsay Lohan........with her big fuckable tits and her tight ass.


What's weird about that? It seems like your pretty typical review business to me...







:lol:

Author:  KayTeeBee [ Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

Glad to see that none of my reviews made the list.

Author:  Baletempest [ Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:39 pm ]
Post subject: 

Metaphysical_Anomaly wrote:
Amputated are a breath of fresh air for the UK metal scene.


:lol:

Author:  OlympicSharpshooter [ Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

Nahkahomo on Coroner's Grin:

"This album however is great backround music for night-time. It's not too noisy, production is soft enough and there's nothing conspicuously horrible that makes you decapitate your penis and send it to outer space where it develops it's own race, worships Commando as their god and builds nuclear missiles which targets are north america and my own house."

Author:  OzzyApu [ Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:38 am ]
Post subject: 

My reviews not showing up here = I'm not loved :(

Author:  The_Boss [ Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

Baletempest wrote:
Metaphysical_Anomaly wrote:
Amputated are a breath of fresh air for the UK metal scene.


:lol:


Of all the lines in that paragraph, THAT'S the one you laugh at??

Author:  Planewalker [ Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:17 am ]
Post subject: 

From the recently submitted review on Temnozor's "Folkstorm of the Azure Nights" by MaDTransilvanian:

Quote:
The band was founded and is headed by the mastermind behind such Blazebirth Hall bands as Branikald and Forest, Kalderad Branislav.


1. It's Kaldrad, not Kalderad.
2. He isn't the founder of the band! He joined before the second album. The band was founded by Leshiy, Tuur and Wuulko. Others joined later.

Author:  Baletempest [ Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:51 pm ]
Post subject: 

The_Boss wrote:
Baletempest wrote:
Metaphysical_Anomaly wrote:
Amputated are a breath of fresh air for the UK metal scene.


:lol:


Of all the lines in that paragraph, THAT'S the one you laugh at??


...would you like a big neon sign or shall I wait for it to sink in...

Author:  Gutterscream [ Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:06 am ]
Post subject: 

As I was accepting Morbert's recent Diary of a Madman review, I found this little gem from OSS. I like the line regarding Michael Schenker especially.

"Compare also the somewhat stodgy, stilted "Mr. Crowley" which seemed hellbent on bringing a little seriousness to the table and instead became almost a parody of snobby pseudo-intellectual British metal (see: solo Bruce Dickinson), to the insane "oh shit the D&D convention hall has burst into flame and it was full of fireworks" strafing proto-power of opening barnstormer "Over the Mountain" and the nimble aquatic existentialist canoodler "S.A.T.O." (which is the kind of song that probably had Michael Schenker pouting into the eager breasts of a groupie with only the foggiest idea of who he was) and you�ll see the difference a year can make. Even "Flying High Again", the cheery beer-swilling ambassador to the audience has a certain strident quality to it, amps cranked louder and just delivered with an all-around breezy confidence that far outstrips even the craziest trains of the previous album."

Author:  OlympicSharpshooter [ Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

That sentence is far too long, but I remember having a lot of fun with it. I just decided to write something without curbing any of my writerly eccentricities, and that's what came out.

From mutilitia's new Judas Priest Rising in the East review:

"Furthermore, the band have a superb stage set-up, with all kinds of hidden elevators, which Rob Halford uses to disappear and magically re-appear elsewhere, like a bald, leather clad whack-a-mole."

Author:  Bash [ Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:50 pm ]
Post subject: 

OlympicSharpshooter wrote:

like a bald, leather clad whack-a-mole."


...a penis?

Author:  OlympicSharpshooter [ Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

That you associate a penis with something 'leather clad' may say more about you than you might like, Bash. ;)

Author:  Mutalitia [ Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:44 pm ]
Post subject: 

:lol: I was wondering if that would show up in this thread when I wrote that.

Author:  Acrobat [ Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:13 pm ]
Post subject: 

I have to say, my own reviews have some excellent passages!

Author:  The_Boss [ Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:51 pm ]
Post subject: 

Jesus Christ, chaxter submitted like 40 reviews, half of them are 50% lol.

He does a fairly good job, but I find myself disagreeing with him a lot.

Author:  Empyreal [ Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

The_Boss wrote:
Jesus Christ, chaxter submitted like 40 reviews, half of them are 50% lol.

He does a fairly good job, but I find myself disagreeing with him a lot.

Holy shit, and we thought hells unicorn in the reviews challenge could write a lot of reviews.

I knew there would be a negative review for Gambling with the Devil soon.

Author:  The_Boss [ Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:32 pm ]
Post subject: 

Aye, I forgot about that - when does the next challenge start? I might as well get started on a couple virgins now...

Author:  OlympicSharpshooter [ Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

The_Boss wrote:
Jesus Christ, chaxter submitted like 40 reviews, half of them are 50% lol.

He does a fairly good job, but I find myself disagreeing with him a lot.


They're from his pre-existing website, he's not that prolific.

Author:  ThrashingMad [ Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:45 pm ]
Post subject: 

The_Boss wrote:
Jesus Christ, chaxter submitted like 40 reviews, half of them are 50% lol.

He does a fairly good job, but I find myself disagreeing with him a lot.


Didn't UltraBoris write something like 37 or some other insane number of reviews one day?

Author:  DrOctavia [ Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

ThrashingMad wrote:
The_Boss wrote:
Jesus Christ, chaxter submitted like 40 reviews, half of them are 50% lol.

He does a fairly good job, but I find myself disagreeing with him a lot.


Didn't UltraBoris write something like 37 or some other insane number of reviews one day?

When you look at the size and quality of some of his reviews, it becomes quite a bit less insane.

Author:  ThrashingMad [ Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:00 pm ]
Post subject: 

DrOctavia wrote:
ThrashingMad wrote:
The_Boss wrote:
Jesus Christ, chaxter submitted like 40 reviews, half of them are 50% lol.

He does a fairly good job, but I find myself disagreeing with him a lot.


Didn't UltraBoris write something like 37 or some other insane number of reviews one day?

When you look at the size and quality of some of his reviews, it becomes quite a bit less insane.


Well yeah but 37 or whatever it was is still a pretty big number. It would probably take me 10-15 minutes to even write a short review. So 15x37/60= 9.25 hours. That's a lot of time.

Author:  The_Boss [ Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

OlympicSharpshooter wrote:
The_Boss wrote:
Jesus Christ, chaxter submitted like 40 reviews, half of them are 50% lol.

He does a fairly good job, but I find myself disagreeing with him a lot.


They're from his pre-existing website, he's not that prolific.


Aye, I had just read maybe 4 of his reviews from the newer load of reviews, and noticed they were decent. I also just noticed that a shit ton of his reviews just got purged :lol:

Author:  Muloc7253 [ Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:35 pm ]
Post subject: 

ThrashingMad wrote:
DrOctavia wrote:
ThrashingMad wrote:
The_Boss wrote:
Jesus Christ, chaxter submitted like 40 reviews, half of them are 50% lol.

He does a fairly good job, but I find myself disagreeing with him a lot.


Didn't UltraBoris write something like 37 or some other insane number of reviews one day?

When you look at the size and quality of some of his reviews, it becomes quite a bit less insane.


Well yeah but 37 or whatever it was is still a pretty big number. It would probably take me 10-15 minutes to even write a short review. So 15x37/60= 9.25 hours. That's a lot of time.


Digitwise, that's probably the equivalent of about 5 or 6 average reviews.

That's nothing compared to The_Ghost_of_Room237 of course. For instance, http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=14967#483

Page 4 of 42 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/