Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:48 pm 

Gutterscream wrote:
Actually it's flying right over my head. Hints?

I've been swimming in raw sewage. I LOVE IT!

GoofyTooth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:47 am 

ThrashingMad wrote:
Vintage wrote:
elfo19 wrote:
Issue #3:Taking themselves way too seriously: What is with this? All their albums are titled something so serious like 'Countdown To Extinction' or something like that. Please, just call them something dumb like 'Heavy Metal Frenzy' or something like that so people who like serious music won't take you for something else. Then they try to put messages in their songs. 'Peace Sells...But Who's Buying' is a perfect example. The band is not able to support stuff like this. Why can't they sing about sex and rock n' roll like bands of their "skill level" should. Really, Megadeth, grow up and quit acting so cool.

Uhh... once again, you can argue that their music is boring and whatnot... but saying that Dave Mustaine, Marty Friedman, David Ellefson and Nick Menza have no technical skill is sort of... dumb. Let alone that he's telling Megadeth to grow up and sing about sex, drugs and rock 'n roll...

Plus how many actual metal bands sing about that stuff. That is one of the most retarded things I have ever read in a review.

@ elfo : This offends me. I don't even get why you'd want to say that about Megadeth here, they're very much awesome, and talented, and you'd have to be deaf to think otherwise.

rockero81
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:37 am 

Vintage wrote:
elfo19's review of Countdown to Extinction:

elfo19 wrote:
Issue #2:Gay singing: Some songs he sound really gay and weird but then in the others he sounds, boring. Every song he sings with the same kind of voice, there's no variation. All the songs have him singing mid-tempo rockers, with a semi-angry tone. All of the songs. He sounds just like every other guy who sings in a heavy metal band like this and it's so lame. I would rather hear instrumental work or even him talking with at least some expression over the instruments than this.

Uhh... You can talk about how much Mustaine's vocals suck and I'd never have a problem with it, I'll probably even agree with you... but saying that he's generic? He is just instantly recognizable... wtf, man?

elfo19 wrote:
Issue #3:Taking themselves way too seriously: What is with this? All their albums are titled something so serious like 'Countdown To Extinction' or something like that. Please, just call them something dumb like 'Heavy Metal Frenzy' or something like that so people who like serious music won't take you for something else. Then they try to put messages in their songs. 'Peace Sells...But Who's Buying' is a perfect example. The band is not able to support stuff like this. Why can't they sing about sex and rock n' roll like bands of their "skill level" should. Really, Megadeth, grow up and quit acting so cool.

Uhh... once again, you can argue that their music is boring and whatnot... but saying that Dave Mustaine, Marty Friedman, David Ellefson and Nick Menza have no technical skill is sort of... dumb. Let alone that he's telling Megadeth to grow up and sing about sex, drugs and rock 'n roll...

I've posted this in the oven fodder.

And the winner for the best WTF review is:

Gabometal86, for VIO-LENCE – ETERNAL NIGHTMARE wrote:
Are the vocals off-putting? Well, Sean Killian’s vocals are an acquired taste. Once you get used to his range, you’ll love his vocal work. It’s like having sex with underage brunette chicks, once you’re into it, you can’t quit it.
Who the fuck IS the girl then? I just can't see it.

I think it's the one on the right...

Meh. I'd rather do the one in the middle then. At least he LOOKS like a woman.

Gumbo_Variation
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:09 am 

rockero81 wrote:
Vintage wrote:

Gabometal86, for VIO-LENCE – ETERNAL NIGHTMARE wrote:
Are the vocals off-putting? Well, Sean Killian’s vocals are an acquired taste. Once you get used to his range, you’ll love his vocal work. It’s like having sex with underage brunette chicks, once you’re into it, you can’t quit it.

:lol: When I'm listening to Vio-lence, thats EXACTLY what I'm thinking.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:10 pm 

I just accepted this absolute gem:

"Misericordiam have a rather interesting take on metal. They basically try to sound as frantic and chaotic as possible while still having a nice groove. I won't even bother trying to compare it to anything because it's just not going to happen. OK I'll try anyways. It's like having the worst diarrhea in your life but it doesn't burn.

Doesn't that sound nice? It'd be just like a water faucet."

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.ph ... 4953#19963

Milo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:32 pm 

Gabometal86 wrote:
Lost Horizon is a Swedish Power Metal band that uses make up (face paint) and all that, they even use stupid and annoying names like Transcendental Magnanimus Erectus Tyrannosaurus Rex or I don’t know what the fuck. That’s even sillier than the face paint.

Silly humour a la Ultraboris, and that never fails at making me laugh.

Corimngul
Freddled Gruntbuggly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:28 pm 

Madaskar in his review for Sabrax' Devilsspear wrote:
I recently purchased CD, despite the fact that the material is 10 + years old.
Because I hate ID 100369. Numbers 19, 29, 39, 49, 59 are incomplete and I hate it!

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:32 pm 

I have to say zeingard's review of "In a Flesh Aquarium" has the funniest title I've ever seen on this site.

SssThsss
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:16 am 

I hope this hasn't been mentioned before, a real pearl.

From Gabometal86's review for Hatebeak's Hatebeak / Longmont Potion Castle:

Gabometal86 wrote:
Watch out fucktards, Rob Halford himself is gonna whip that parrot till exhaustion and Waldo would end sounding like Kotipelto which I sincerely at first believed was a parrot too.

Link: http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=50514

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:31 am 

From Dasher10's review of Pantera's The Great Southern Trendkill

Pantera knew how much was on the line after almost single handedly saving metal in the early 90s along with Faith No More, Cannibal Corpse, White Zombie, and Rage Against the Machine.

----------
The day any of these bands 'saved' metal for me is the day I teabag my father. C'mon, RATM?
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:37 pm 

Gutterscream wrote:
From Dasher10's review of Pantera's The Great Southern Trendkill

Pantera knew how much was on the line after almost single handedly saving metal in the early 90s along with Faith No More, Cannibal Corpse, White Zombie, and Rage Against the Machine.

----------
The day any of these bands 'saved' metal for me is the day I teabag my father. C'mon, RATM?

Besides, how do you "almost single-handedly save metal" with four other bands? That seems rather far from "almost single-handedly" to me.

Kurtemba
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:12 pm 

Noktorn in With Passion's review wrote:
the drumming takes a note from Meshuggah, resulting in breakdowns that seem to sadistically taunt any such fans would attempt to battle the invisible ninjas during their performance.

:lol:

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:37 pm 

Here are a few really good passages from a couple reviews:

The first one is a very funny line from Caspian's review of Agalloch's latest.

Quote:
There will be those who will claim that tunes like 'Limbs' and 'Fire Above, Ice Below' are some sort of black/folk/"dark" metal masterpieces, but we all know that's not true- Agalloch traffic in a kind of slow burning, completely tame atmospheric rock that brings to mind a an Ulver song covered by Coldplay.

This next bit is a near perfect simile from Cheeses_Priced's review of RiB.

Quote:
The slower midsection of “Angel of Death” is sort of unveiled, but the slow parts of “Necrophobic” hit like airbags in car accidents.

This gem comes from Empyreal's review of Cellador's full-length. It's very well-written, and while it is fairly abstract it still works as a good description of the band.

Quote:
So the mad Doctor enters his new lab with a purpose in mind - to create the best power metal band that there ever was. He has his heart in the right place, and he has his favorite genre in mind - from the crystalline clear Finnish pop metal sound to the high-flying German variety of power metal - and everything is in place. The lab is rather dark and dank, with the familiar cobwebs adorning the nooks and crannies of the stone walls, and he reminds himself to change the lightbulb, which its previous occupants had apparently not bothered to change. He looks at the few half-empty potion flasks still sitting on the table under the glow of the candle he has carried with him. There is one rather cracked and old flask labeled Helloween, mostly all gone by now, and another labeled Gamma Ray, also almost empty. The flask labeled Edguy has a moderate amount of fluid left in it, albeit not enough for it to flow over the top, and there is, very fortunately for the good Doctor, a large jug of bright, slushy orange liquid with a large piece of scotch tape across it's exterior - labeled DragonForce. In his excitement, the Doctor, clumsy as he is, knocks all of the flasks off the table and sends them plummeting down into the large basin on the floor. A curious poof of smoke floats out, lazily drifting through the damp, weighty air, followed by a strong smell of brimstone and burnt flesh. A small explosion ensues, knocking the Doctor to his rear as a creature arises. The Doctor claps with glee, shouting "It's alive!" and getting to his feet as the beast lumbers towards him. The Doctor's smile fades as he realizes that his monster is imperfect - it walks with a limp, and one of its arms is raised quite a bit higher than the other. A failed experiment, he realizes, does this beast have any reason to exist? What has he created?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:51 pm 

Thanks. :p I forget what I was thinking when I wrote that, but I am proud of it haha.

If there's one thing I miss Lord Requiem for, it's that his Cellador review pulled the average for that album down to a percentile MUCH more fitting for it. 85%? Please.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:56 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
If there's one thing I miss Lord Requiem for, it's that his Cellador review pulled the average for that album down to a percentile MUCH more fitting for it. 85%? Please.

I'd review that CD myself, but unfortunately that'd involve actually listening to it. :(

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:29 pm 

I've actually been thinking of doing one for that album pretty soon. However I'd give it around a 60 or so, seeing as I do enjoy it to a certain extent.

DrOctavia
Do Dark Horses Dream of Nightmares?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:01 am 

Perdition666 wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I'd review that CD myself, but unfortunately that'd involve actually listening to it. :(

Yeah. What a waste of cash.

In the heat and the rain, with the whips and chains
To see him fly, so many die
We built a tower of stone, with our flesh and bone
Just to see him fly, but we don't know why
Now where do we go?

Mungo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:13 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Thanks. :p I forget what I was thinking when I wrote that, but I am proud of it haha.

And that Into Eternity review where he called em nu metal. Many a laugh was had.

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:01 am 

Anyone else surprised Bark at the Moon received a mere 61% from Hells_Unicorn?

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:06 am 

MutatisMutandis's review for Impending Doom's Nailed. Dead. Risen. swings on the entertaining side.

Hilarious - 20%
Impending Doom: guttural, slammin', U.S. deathcore.
Trust me, it's as dull as the description could lead you to believe. Oh yeah, they're also Christian. And not in a subtle, As I Lay Dying-fashion. They're more like Mortification - adamant, prideful, and teeth-gratingly bad. For a good, hearty chuckle, trying thumbing through the lyric booklet as you listen. Matching the touching messages with the generic vocals is truly hilarious, especially when the "br00tal" breakdowns barge in. Musically, well... if Pyrexia appeals to retarded, mesh-shorts wearing jockos, Impending Doom will drag in their children. It's "scene" to like this band. Just like Waking The Cadaver, and Suicide Silence, or Job For A Cowboy. They're inaccesibly "METAL" enough to alienate the majority of the Christian demograph, but not enough as to repel the spikey haired, quasi-agnostic, body-mod junkies with girlfriends who wear Happy Bunny t-shirts and listen to Snow Patrol.
Musically, there really isn't much I haven't commented on yet. It's the standard 'weedly weedly' "tech" guitar playing with loving spoonfuls of stereotypical, cymbal-heavy, pit-friendly breakdowns and an incompetent vocalist. On one hand, this genre makes me hopeful that one day the listeners will expand to include heavier music in their pallets, but on the other hand... this shit is awful and seems to give the listeners an undeserved sense of accomplishment. Don't ask me why, it's just an observation... some might argue these bands helped their douchbaggery come to full bloom.

Impending Doom, I dub thee "t-shirtcore".

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:16 pm 

chaossphere wrote:
the song "In Rapture By The Fenrir Moon" isn't here due to it's co-authoring by former member "Lord Vlad Luciferian" who ended up prancing around in a fruity vampire costume with Norwegian faggoth rock stars Ancient after being kicked out of GBK.

:lol:

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:23 pm 

Gutterscream wrote:
Anyone else surprised Bark at the Moon received a mere 61% from Hells_Unicorn?

When I bought the album I was expecting something consistent with the tone set by the title track, but that isn't what I heard. The production was a big set back for that album for me as well, as was the case with "Live Evil", which I'm sure would come across equally as shocking considering my fan boy reviews of everything else Dio did with Sabbath.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:27 pm 

Bark at the Moon probably deserves a score somewhere in the 60's to my mind. There are only two monster classics on it, the title track and Now You See It (Now You Don't). The rest is a rather uninspired series of rehashes. That said, I did rather expect a higher grade from hells, haha.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:26 pm 

I like this a lot :

UltraBoris on Coma of Souls wrote:
There are really only 2 or 3 moments on the album which are NOT absolutely and amazingly awesome: some of Material World Paranoia starts off a bit silly, but dear Lord does it make up for it or what with that final riff set: "Promise of a better future is a lie!" [insert here probably the best riff on the album - total fucking headbanging material, feel free to run into walls and break your house into a million pieces too, it's allowed.] That right there is the greatest thrash riff ever written. Trust me. I did many hours of research (man, research fucking KICKS ASS!!) and I came to this conclusion in a scientific way.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

Hellrisen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:20 pm 

Bad: That new Bring Me the Horizon review is god awful.

Quote:
Oli Sykes sounds like he would like to fuck you up pretty bad, if he was a jacked dude from Sweden, I don't think anybody would mess with him.

What the fuck does this have to do with ANYTHING? That doesn't change that the music still sucks ass.

WarriorsDawn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:12 am 

zeingard wrote:
These guys apparently live in the forest which is just about the most kvlt thing since Varg Vikernes discovered the kvlt equation; CHURCH + FIRE = AWESOME. That and ex-Emperor drummer, Faust's allusion to an important but unnamed theorem which states that "Should a man of the homosexual persuasion be found in a forest, the chances of finding a knife lodged in his body is inversely proportional to his distance from Faust". Back on the topic of forests, the members of WITR attempt to lead a completely organic life which sounds like hippy bullshit but since they make ass-kicking black metal it must be having some sort of positive effect on them. I wonder if we placed Dark Tranquillity in a forest they'd finally realise they have guitars and not just keyboards in their band?

:lol::lol:

Emerald_Sword
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:28 am 

WarriorsDawn wrote:
zeingard wrote:
These guys apparently live in the forest which is just about the most kvlt thing since Varg Vikernes discovered the kvlt equation; CHURCH + FIRE = AWESOME. That and ex-Emperor drummer, Faust's allusion to an important but unnamed theorem which states that "Should a man of the homosexual persuasion be found in a forest, the chances of finding a knife lodged in his body is inversely proportional to his distance from Faust". Back on the topic of forests, the members of WITR attempt to lead a completely organic life which sounds like hippy bullshit but since they make ass-kicking black metal it must be having some sort of positive effect on them. I wonder if we placed Dark Tranquillity in a forest they'd finally realise they have guitars and not just keyboards in their band?

:lol::lol:

Holy shit that is gold! :lol:

DrOctavia
Do Dark Horses Dream of Nightmares?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:42 am 

This cracked me up:

RedMisanthrope (on Hate Eternal's Fury and Flames) wrote:
Perhaps you'll notice I haven't given the album a zero, which it really does deserve. Well it does have one thing going for it. Intensity. On more than one occasion this album had my adrenaline going. But really, if I want adrenaline I'll masturbate with my bedroom door open while my parents are home.

In the heat and the rain, with the whips and chains
To see him fly, so many die
We built a tower of stone, with our flesh and bone
Just to see him fly, but we don't know why
Now where do we go?

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:57 am 

stellavore86 wrote:
Azgorh and his Drowning the Light may indeed be chock full of satanic pride, but when the Lord of Darkness won't even bother returning your calls, that's gotta hurt.

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.ph ... 420#146620

Boom, headshot.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:46 pm 

I know this is old but:

UltraBoris's Dark Angel's Time Does Not Heal review wrote:
Cool lyrics, I mean Hoglan is fucking Shakespeare. (Not literally, that's disgusting!)

That gets me every single time. :lol:
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:53 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I know this is old but:

UltraBoris's Dark Angel's Time Does Not Heal review wrote:
Cool lyrics, I mean Hoglan is fucking Shakespeare. (Not literally, that's disgusting!)

That gets me every single time. :lol:

:lol: I didn't even know Hoglan wrote the lyrics. He must have been into psychology at the time.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

Jarnroth
hurr hurr i post whiel drunk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:02 am 

Peregrin, on Pagan Altar's 'The Lords of Hypocrisy' wrote:
This is no case of sixties-seventies retroism occurring as early as the eighties; rather it is more like an evolutionary offshoot of metal entering a proverbial chrysalis to emerge from it like a bizarre mutant butterfly, an exemplar to all artists who are in a sense outsiders to the very genre they work in.

I really digged that one.

http://www.last.fm/user/Jarnroth/

WarriorsDawn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:38 am 

BastardHead on Ayreon - The Human Equation wrote:
Listen to Eternal Nightmare, Sean Killian is one of the worst vocalists in metal history, but who in their right mind would ever say that that isn't one of the finest thrash records of all time? Same deal with Heathen.

Slow the fuck down there. What's wrong with Heathen's vocals? :???:

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:10 am 

BastardHead on Doomsday for the Deceiver wrote:
This record is the equivalent of waking up in a mansion, with Leslie Nielson as your butler, and Euronymous is hanging at the bar with Lemmy, Dio is engaging in a game of basketball against Hervé Villechaize, and all the Playboy Bunnies are in their prime..... in your pool.... naked. To simplify, absolute paradise.

Made me laugh. Hard. Also, the opinion is a big hammer right on the nail, it's a marvellous album.

Milo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:38 am 

The_Saberfool wrote:
Quote:
The song Confined is easily the lowest point on this album and probably in the history of music. Full of 50BPM "blast beats" and repetitive Epileptic guitar riffs all piled on the most god awful "vocals" in history. Imagine a deep voiced retard being punched in the stomach. Oh dont worry, the bass isnt plugged in, so at least managed not to fuck that up.

:lol: x 100. fucking awesome.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:26 am 

WarriorsDawn wrote:
Listen to Eternal Nightmare, Sean Killian is one of the worst vocalists in metal history, but who in their right mind would ever say that that isn't one of the finest thrash records of all time? Same deal with Heathen.

Heathen is one of my favorite bands, but the vocals are atrocious. They're straying out of key all of time, which is really the only complaint I have, but it's a big one. Just try and tell me that the chorus to Hypnotize doesn't sound just.... well, bad.

I love Heathen, but I really think that if Godfrey (or White, or whatever he's going by now), would work on his voice, they could be one of my top 10, hell, even top 5 bands of all time.

Keep in mind I haven't heard the 2005 demo yet, so for all I know time hath sweetened him.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:00 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
WarriorsDawn wrote:

Heathen is one of my favorite bands, but the vocals are atrocious. They're straying out of key all of time, which is really the only complaint I have, but it's a big one. Just try and tell me that the chorus to Hypnotize doesn't sound just.... well, bad.

I love Heathen, but I really think that if Godfrey (or White, or whatever he's going by now), would work on his voice, they could be one of my top 10, hell, even top 5 bands of all time.

Keep in mind I haven't heard the 2005 demo yet, so for all I know time hath sweetened him.

Yeah, check out the 2005 demo. I personally don't have a problem with him, but I can say he does seem to be better at singing nowadays with that demo.

WarriorsDawn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:50 pm 

They don't seem out of key to me. =/. Now, Warrel Dane's vocals, THEY are out of key. Also, there's nothing wrong with Sean Killian, I'd like to see you sing that fast.

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:04 pm 

Why talk of the demo? White is spot on even in the two studio albums, if he's off-key enough to be atrocious then thrash has no good vocalists at all except the Flotsam and Forbidden guys. If anything, on the studio albums, White probably needs to get a little harsher, which he did in the demo.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:15 am 

WarriorsDawn wrote:
They don't seem out of key to me. =/. Now, Warrel Dane's vocals, THEY are out of key. Also, there's nothing wrong with Sean Killian, I'd like to see you sing that fast.

I find this humorous considering I'm a big Nevermore fan. Also, you do not have to be proficient in something to point out that somebody else sucks at it. Case in point, I'm not a vocalist by any means, but I have every right to say that Killian's voice fluctuates registers constantly and grates on my ears like no tomorrow. I hope I didn't imply that I dislike Vio-Lence, I love them like I love ham and bacon sandwiches (which is a whole fucking lot), so don't think I'm trying to knock them, I just think Killian is a shitty vocalist.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 42  Next