Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:04 pm 

I just read a review on the latest Dragonforce album (don't remember who wrote it). Somewhere in the first paragraph the author claimed that Dragonforce is underrated.

Ha.

Ha.

BlackCancer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:19 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
So what is the verdict on this one, you ask? Sadly, this is yet another nail in Gamma Ray's coffin, and I think it's time we ask ourselves how much longer Kai and his motley crue can keep up the charade.

This one made me laugh a bit.

SigurdOrSiegfried
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:26 am 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
UnserHeiligeTod wrote:
hells_unicorn, on Iced Earth's song "Hollow Man":

"However, the ugliest of all the philosophical contradictions in this album come alive with the lyrically nebulous “Hollow Man”. The casual reader of philosophy might think this a sort of homage to irrational Existentialist thinkers like Kierkegaard, but I see a much darker person as the subject of worship in this song, the original villain of western thought, Immanuel Kant. It is no surprise that the only song that doesn’t deal directly with historical events is the one that reveals the hand that guides Schaffer’s work here, as Kant’s hand is in the thoughts of nearly every post-Enlightenment thinker, save the Objectivists and his intellectual opponents in the Catholic Church, particularly Thomists like myself. Every evil ideology that has poisoned Western Civilization since the end of the Enlightenment can be traced back to him, be it Communism, Fascism, Nazism, or other brand of tyranny by way of altruistic manipulation of values and thought. The first ingredient in subverting a population is to associate suffering with enlightenment, as this song seems most willing to do, and once a populous hates knowledge, they are easily manipulated by those whom still possess it. Immanuel Kant knew this as he poisoned the minds of the people he taught with the viewpoint that reason was impotent, and his bastard progeny of witch-doctors emboldened a new generation of Attila-like despots such as Lenin, Hitler and Mao to re-define the meaning of the word tyranny and to rain blood upon the earth. I can’t fully blame Jon Schaffer for allowing this kind of influence into his thinking, because Kant is the master of all our public schools, he is everywhere except for a few crevices of resistance in the realm of private study. Many say he was the greatest thinker of the late 18 century, and that maybe, but he may have also been the anti-Christ. (figuratively speaking)".

...I really don't know what to think about this, but surely it'd be nothing related to said song.

That's probably the most unintelligent and pointless rant one could forge. It was a waste of time reading that "paragraph."

Wait, did he write this in a review?

EDIT: Wow what the fuck...

Last edited by SigurdOrSiegfried on Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrOctavia
Do Dark Horses Dream of Nightmares?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:27 am 

Sadly, yes. I can remember reading that review contentedly, then coming across that shit nugget. Much WTFery ensued.

In the heat and the rain, with the whips and chains
To see him fly, so many die
We built a tower of stone, with our flesh and bone
Just to see him fly, but we don't know why
Now where do we go?

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:07 am 

Noktorn wrote:
Who can honestly say to themselves, apart from Nuclear Assault obsessives, "BOY OH BOY I COULD REALLY GO FOR A SERBIAN NUCLEAR ASSAULT CLONE RIGHT ABOUT NOW!" I'm pretty sure no one, and those that can probably own 'Merciful Angel' already.

Simple but amusing quote, caps can be hilarious when used right.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:17 pm 

From Kalelfromkrypton's Horde Hellig Usvart review:

Quote:
The lyrical concept can be described as anti-satanic-ritualistic practices and they are penned in old English to emulate the old forests from Norway and to make it more elegant.

Can any native English speaker explain to me, how does the old English language emulate old Norwegian forests??

That denies any logic, at least according to me..

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:07 pm 

Witcher wrote:

Quote:
The lyrical concept can be described as anti-satanic-ritualistic practices and they are penned in old English to emulate the old forests from Norway and to make it more elegant.

Can any native English speaker explain to me, how does the old English language emulate old Norwegian forests??

Let alone that Horde's lyrics are not penned in old English.

http://www.metalfighters.com/

MushroomStamp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:14 pm 

Mors_Gloria wrote:
Witcher wrote:

Quote:

Maybe he means the "Old English" font? (image) Even with that explanation, it sounds retarded, but I see the reasoning behind it.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:50 pm 

MushroomStamp wrote:
Mors_Gloria wrote:
Witcher wrote:

Quote:

Maybe he means the "Old English" font? (image) Even with that explanation, it sounds retarded, but I see the reasoning behind it.

I could see why it reminds him of Old English font or language, but not how he managed to place Old Norwegian forests in that.

If he would write, that the atmosphere of the music invokes images of nordic forests in listener's mind, I would get it, but so?

DrOctavia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:52 am 

Pestbesmittad on Kataklysm's Temple of Knowledge wrote:
You just want to run out of this temple of knowledge and seal its doors with the most powerful magic ever seen, so that no one else will enter it in order to seek knowledge.

That passage just stood out.

Now where do we go?

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:24 am 

Bastardhead's latest Running Wild review (Under Jolly Roger):

- Running Wild started their career in the late seventies, with their first two albums (Gates to Purgatory, Branded and Exiled) exhibiting a style similar to that of Venom or maybe Celtic Frost (though that's a bit of a stretch). Really, they were just a German Venom. Don't get me wrong, they were good... just unoriginal. -

Yeah, they sound just like Venom and Celtic Frost on their debut...and so musically unoriginal for '84.
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:06 pm 

a bit of a stretch ... huh.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:12 pm 

From Kruhl's review of Entropy's If You Have This....

Quote:
The drummer must really suck... where the fuck is the bass drum? Can you hear it? I can't. Seriously... I've heard better quality out of Ethiopian recording studios and they don't even exist.

The review is borderline at best, but I was amused in general so I accepted it.

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:14 am 

From CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8's latest Vanadium review:

"Surely the most important one in classic metal field was Vanadium followed by Sabotage and Strana Officina."

THE two words in classic metal - Sabotage and Strana Officina.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:31 am 

Gutterscream wrote:
From CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8's latest Vanadium review:

"Surely the most important one in classic metal field was Vanadium followed by Sabotage and Strana Officina."

THE two words in classic metal - Sabotage and Strana Officina.

Somehow the word "Italian" got lost in the renslation for him, at least it seems so.

Muloc7253
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:10 am 

From AussieReaper's review of Aragorn (UK) - The Night is Burning.

"the third track evolves like a rose out of a toilet"

Made me smile.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:06 am 

This applies not only to reviews, but I've certainly seen the like in a few ... that is, whenever somebody is talking about Darkthrone and mentions their "inaudible bass". I just don't get it .. Darkthrone has one of the cleanest, clearest bass tones of all the second wave bands, and you'd damn well notice if the bass wasn't there. The only album on which I can't really hear it is "Panzerfaust", and I think that's because the guitar tone has a lot of thick low-end.

~Guest 3496
Exterminator 666 Does Not Answer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:49 pm 

I think a complaint about inaudible bass is usually a sign that someone didn't listen to an album much before reviewing it.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:36 pm 

PhantomOTO wrote:
I think a complaint about inaudible bass is usually a sign that someone didn't listen to an album much before reviewing it.

Well, you're probably right, but in truth a lot of metal productions do seem to under-represent the bass guitar (and not necessarily the bass frequencies), and this certainly applies to quite a lot of black metal bands .. but not Darkthrone, for fucks' sake!

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:03 pm 

You also have to consider what kind of speakers/stereo it's being filtered through. A pair of crappy computer speakers can't really compare to those of the higher end (or even medium end) spectrum, and something in a subwoofer can make a load of difference.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:14 am 

From Zeingard's review of Astomatous's The Beauty Of Reason.

Quote:
Also the amount of pinch harmonics in this album is just ridiculous, not even Zakk Wylde uses this many fucking pinch harmonics. Yes we get it, well fucking done, you can strike the string with your pick and then some of your thumb to set up a standing wave on your string that produces a sound with a high frequency, have the fucking Nobel Prize for excelling in the field of being wanky fucktards.

:nods: The whole title of "Pinch Harmonic Holocaust" made me laugh as well.

Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:54 pm 

Noktorn's review of Mortician - Hacked up for Barbecue

"I'm not entirely sure why so many people criticize Mortician, because everything you say to theoretically criticize the band can be refuted by saying that, well, it's Mortician, and you can't criticize them for what they are."

:durr:

Strange Death Metal

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:32 pm 

Thorgrim_Honkronte wrote:

"I'm not entirely sure why so many people criticize Mortician, because everything you say to theoretically criticize the band can be refuted by saying that, well, it's Mortician, and you can't criticize them for what they are."

Thank you!

By the way, Hells_Unicorn's rant on Kant is one of the dumbest things I have ever read in my life; it's almost as dumb as Mors_Gloria's opinion on Plato.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:25 pm 

thomash wrote:
Thorgrim_Honkronte wrote:

Thank you!

By the way, Hells_Unicorn's rant on Kant is one of the dumbest things I have ever read in my life; it's almost as dumb as Mors_Gloria's opinion on Plato.

One of the things that I find odd is that in nearly 2 years of having that review up, no one actually gives a specific explanation of where my interpretation of Kant's views is off, I just hear a generalized statement that the opinion is either misinformed, stupid, or somewhere in between those two. If you wish to PM me an explanation of where in Kant's works I'm missing the point, I'd be very interested in seeing it.

But on a general note, I'm thinking about re-writing that review, mostly because I'm planning on dropping that score down a few points, but also to trim off some of the fat.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:45 pm 

I don't think anyone's saying your interpretation is dumb, they're saying it's dumb to have an interpretation of Kant in a damn metal review, let alone one for Iced Earth. You probably put more effort into criticizing that particular bit than they did writing it in the first place.

Cheeses_Priced
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:56 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
I don't think anyone's saying your interpretation is dumb, they're saying it's dumb to have an interpretation of Kant in a damn metal review, let alone one for Iced Earth. You probably put more effort into criticizing that particular bit than they did writing it in the first place.

No, I think a lot of people are saying his interpretation is dumb too. I mainly find it strange that people seem to single out the Kant bit in particular.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:06 am 

failsafeman wrote:

I've heard this criticism as well and there is some weight to it, but most of the criticisms I get deal directly with how I express Kant's philosophy, not that I brought it up in this particular case. I do agree with you that Schaeffer probably never read Kant, except maybe a section here or there in high school Social Studies, but most of the teachers I knew in school were heavily influenced by parts of his philosophy, especially in history and literature classes. That is what I was mostly alluding to, as I tried to argue that a philosophy can impact someone even if they don't fully notice it.

Nonetheless, I am curious about this because I'm interested in getting a viewpoint from someone who has read Kant extensively and has a well organized refutation to my claims, that was the reason for requesting the PM.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:24 am 

Cheeses_Priced wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

No, I think a lot of people are saying his interpretation is dumb too.

If you say so; frankly I don't really care what his opinion on Kant is, I just don't think it has much place in a review. Unless of course the album specifically dealt with Kant's philosophy, but the one in question obviously doesn't.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:02 pm 

Nausica's latest Nadja review informed me more about a bizarre medical condition than about the album in question!! She also took a stab at writing lyrics for them. :lol:

Incidentally, I'm seeing Nadja this saturday as they're playing a free show at a record store.

DrOctavia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:09 am 

Noktorn, on Vehemence's God Was Created wrote:
Here's the secret about this album, though: it's really just pop rock translated into death metal. If you strip away the distortion, the metal drumming, the unclean vocals spewing blasphemous lyrics -all the things that make this a death metal album- you have what is essentially pop rock.

Now where do we go?

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:41 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Cheeses_Priced wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

No, I think a lot of people are saying his interpretation is dumb too.

If you say so; frankly I don't really care what his opinion on Kant is, I just don't think it has much place in a review. Unless of course the album specifically dealt with Kant's philosophy, but the one in question obviously doesn't.

In any case, everything that's worth saying about Kant has already been said by Monty Python's Philosophers Song. ;)

Back on topic - from Napero's review of the Australian black metal band Assaulter's Proselytizer:

Napero wrote:
I have a dream. One day the era of cross-breeding will one day come to an end. Metal's crossing over to hardcore, emo, pop and a thousand other genres will finally cease, and pure metal will come back. Imagine: no more metalcore, no more poppish gothic metal or synth-laden powerless bubble-gum power metal, or crappy grindcore labelled as death metal because of two approximately DM-ish riffs. No more one-fingered Casio bedroom ambient BM projects... Yes, I have a dream, and that dream is not about being able to eat a sea otter without getting sick, but of clear-cut, non-compromizing metal in its various forms taking the center of the stage and staying there.

Emphasis mine; the irony is that the very album he's praising for its metal purity is by being inspired by death and thrash - as he mentions later in the same review - and whatnot heavily inspired by hardcore even if the influence is just second-hand. I generally enjoy reading Nappy's reviews, but when he writes something as factually incorrect as this I can't help but feel obligated to correct it.

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:16 am 

Napero wrote:
Yes, I have a dream, and that dream is not about being able to eat a sea otter without getting sick

:)

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:19 am 

Peregrin wrote:
Back on topic - from Napero's review of the Australian black metal band Assaulter's Proselytizer:

Napero wrote:
I have a dream. One day the era of cross-breeding will one day come to an end. Metal's crossing over to hardcore, emo, pop and a thousand other genres will finally cease, and pure metal will come back. Imagine: no more metalcore, no more poppish gothic metal or synth-laden powerless bubble-gum power metal, or crappy grindcore labelled as death metal because of two approximately DM-ish riffs. No more one-fingered Casio bedroom ambient BM projects... Yes, I have a dream, and that dream is not about being able to eat a sea otter without getting sick, but of clear-cut, non-compromizing metal in its various forms taking the center of the stage and staying there.

Emphasis mine; the irony is that the very album he's praising for its metal purity is by being inspired by death and thrash - as he mentions later in the same review - and whatnot heavily inspired by hardcore even if the influence is just second-hand. I generally enjoy reading Nappy's reviews, but when he writes something as factually incorrect as this I can't help but feel obligated to correct it.

Nappy was confused for a while here... But I see what you mean, just like I believe you see what I really meant. Show me a part on Proselytiser with even a tiny grain of metalcore in it, and you officially win. The minor hardcore influence on the album has come the way it got into thrash, and not as black-painted fingernails, screaming like a choking vacuum cleaner, and buttplugs through earlobes.

If a metal album is influenced by death and thrash, it's not being diluted by non-metal particles.

Also, that paragraph was significantly heavy with sarcasm... I don't really mind cross-pollination, as long as it's done with good taste, originality and respect. That means not in the way of metalcore. Good crossover is always worth my time, for example, even if the difference between the two seems lost on many people's minds.

Gutterscream wrote:
Napero wrote:
Yes, I have a dream, and that dream is not about being able to eat a sea otter without getting sick

A pop culture reference... Recognize the origin?

Vintage
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:17 pm 

elfo19's review of Countdown to Extinction:

elfo19 wrote:
Issue #2:Gay singing: Some songs he sound really gay and weird but then in the others he sounds, boring. Every song he sings with the same kind of voice, there's no variation. All the songs have him singing mid-tempo rockers, with a semi-angry tone. All of the songs. He sounds just like every other guy who sings in a heavy metal band like this and it's so lame. I would rather hear instrumental work or even him talking with at least some expression over the instruments than this.

Uhh... You can talk about how much Mustaine's vocals suck and I'd never have a problem with it, I'll probably even agree with you... but saying that he's generic? He is just instantly recognizable... wtf, man?

elfo19 wrote:
Issue #3:Taking themselves way too seriously: What is with this? All their albums are titled something so serious like 'Countdown To Extinction' or something like that. Please, just call them something dumb like 'Heavy Metal Frenzy' or something like that so people who like serious music won't take you for something else. Then they try to put messages in their songs. 'Peace Sells...But Who's Buying' is a perfect example. The band is not able to support stuff like this. Why can't they sing about sex and rock n' roll like bands of their "skill level" should. Really, Megadeth, grow up and quit acting so cool.

Uhh... once again, you can argue that their music is boring and whatnot... but saying that Dave Mustaine, Marty Friedman, David Ellefson and Nick Menza have no technical skill is sort of... dumb. Let alone that he's telling Megadeth to grow up and sing about sex, drugs and rock 'n roll...

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:21 pm 

Thanks for clearing it up, Nappy... in retrospect it's a wonder I didn't mention your like of crossover thrash in my post. :scratch:

From Caspian's review of Wall of Sleep's ...And Hell Followed With Him:

Quote:
Yogi Bear, much to everyone's surprise, is clearly a metal fan. When he wasn't being chased by ranger smith or stealing people's food he was obviously listening to a lot of Sabbath and other various doom bands. As with most metalheads, eventually he decided to form a band- I don't know what kind of musician you'd have to be to want to have him fronting your band, but obviously a bear would have a pretty huge stage presence, and I guess there would be some sort of gimmick factor.

:lol:

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:07 pm 

Vintage wrote:
elfo19's review of Countdown to Extinction:

elfo19 wrote:
Issue #2:Gay singing: Some songs he sound really gay and weird but then in the others he sounds, boring. Every song he sings with the same kind of voice, there's no variation. All the songs have him singing mid-tempo rockers, with a semi-angry tone. All of the songs. He sounds just like every other guy who sings in a heavy metal band like this and it's so lame. I would rather hear instrumental work or even him talking with at least some expression over the instruments than this.

Uhh... You can talk about how much Mustaine's vocals suck and I'd never have a problem with it, I'll probably even agree with you... but saying that he's generic? He is just instantly recognizable... wtf, man?

elfo19 wrote:
Issue #3:Taking themselves way too seriously: What is with this? All their albums are titled something so serious like 'Countdown To Extinction' or something like that. Please, just call them something dumb like 'Heavy Metal Frenzy' or something like that so people who like serious music won't take you for something else. Then they try to put messages in their songs. 'Peace Sells...But Who's Buying' is a perfect example. The band is not able to support stuff like this. Why can't they sing about sex and rock n' roll like bands of their "skill level" should. Really, Megadeth, grow up and quit acting so cool.

Uhh... once again, you can argue that their music is boring and whatnot... but saying that Dave Mustaine, Marty Friedman, David Ellefson and Nick Menza have no technical skill is sort of... dumb. Let alone that he's telling Megadeth to grow up and sing about sex, drugs and rock 'n roll...

That guy's reviews stink. I rejected a terrible track by tracker for Maiden's "Peace of Mind" and he hasn't submitted one like it since, but .. ugh.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:20 pm 

Vintage wrote:
elfo19 wrote:

Plus how many actual metal bands sing about that stuff. That is one of the most retarded things I have ever read in a review.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:13 pm 

Look at his favourite bands in his profile while you're at it. That review is about as close as I've come to a rejection on moral grounds.

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:48 am 

From enshinkarateman's review of LoG's "New American Gospel"

enshinkarateman wrote:
Sure, the riffs are good, but, as the old saying goes “Man does not live on riff alone”, or something like that.

It says it all really, doesn't it?

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:56 pm 

Napero wrote:
Peregrin wrote:

Napero wrote:

Nappy was confused for a while here... But I see what you mean, just like I believe you see what I really meant. Show me a part on Proselytiser with even a tiny grain of metalcore in it, and you officially win. The minor hardcore influence on the album has come the way it got into thrash, and not as black-painted fingernails, screaming like a choking vacuum cleaner, and buttplugs through earlobes.

If a metal album is influenced by death and thrash, it's not being diluted by non-metal particles.

Also, that paragraph was significantly heavy with sarcasm... I don't really mind cross-pollination, as long as it's done with good taste, originality and respect. That means not in the way of metalcore. Good crossover is always worth my time, for example, even if the difference between the two seems lost on many people's minds.

Gutterscream wrote:
Napero wrote:

A pop culture reference... Recognize the origin?

Actually it's flying right over my head. Hints?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 42  Next