Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
meshigene
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:43 pm
Posts: 66
Location: neverwhere
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:18 am 
 

Since there are threads about highly regarded and underrated reviewers, I'd like to know which reviewers I should avoid like the plague or simply disregard. Back up your opinions, though, since everyone can just say that "UltraBoris sucks".

I'll start with Human666. Most if not all of his reviews are downright juvenile, poorly written and full of SPAG mistakes that even I consider cringe-worthy, and his negative reviews simply shouldn't be talked about. And as if that wasn't enough, his later reviews aren't much better than his early ones.

There's also a lot of noobs like myself and people who wrote a couple mediocre reviews and vanished or got dursted while still being noobs, I don't think these should be mentioned here, unless they're as bad as, say, MetalMuxxer.
_________________
zeingard wrote:
Man, not everyone is jerking off to collages of Morpheus Descends, Timeghoul and Demilich in their basement.

Most of them are doing it to 'Left Hand Path' with the right hand (which is wrong).

Top
 Profile  
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:46 pm
Posts: 8859
Location: At the Heat of Winter
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:39 am 
 

kluseba. Shocking that someone with as many reviews written still doesn't understand that track by track reviews are shit. I could care less about the passive aggressive, contrarian stances he takes.

dismember_marcin: Appreciated for his taste, and was given something of a free pass as a result for a time. Brutal Engrish, none of his reviews are even close to acceptable until I clean some some of the grammar on my own, and he doesn't even notice that I do it. Also has gotten worse over the years, somehow. He's like a bootleg Ultraboris minus the anger, but with a similar stream of consciousness style.

LeMiserable: If any of his are still floating around... basically has no integrity and changes his opinions at the hint of any criticism. Reviews are overlong.

Metal_Thrasher90: No longer a concern since he got all pouty on us and deleted all of his reviews except for his legendary Thin Lizzy rants. Poor grammar, bizarre syntax, over critical of certain unimportant facets.

Akerthorpe: Literally no integrity as a reviewer. Only writes positive (90%+) reviews and seems to be a popular choice as a result, since bands can rely on him for "positive press." Sadly they don't understand that when it is coming from him, it's almost negative by default.

Top
 Profile  
meshigene
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:43 pm
Posts: 66
Location: neverwhere
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:40 am 
 

Diamhea wrote:
Metal_Thrasher90


Is that the dude who gave lots of 0s to above average Spanish thrash albums for basically no reason?
_________________
zeingard wrote:
Man, not everyone is jerking off to collages of Morpheus Descends, Timeghoul and Demilich in their basement.

Most of them are doing it to 'Left Hand Path' with the right hand (which is wrong).

Top
 Profile  
Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:19 am
Posts: 1020
Location: Italy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:45 am 
 

Completely agree with Kluseba and Akerthorpe.. the first is an explosive cocktail of bad writing, bad attitude and bad taste and the second is impossible to take seriously

Kruel takes the aspects i don't like in Noktorn to the extreme: lots of rambling about artistic voids and spiritual integrities without describing the actual music.. when i read his reviews im not able to understand how the album actually sounds like, only his twisted vision of it :(

To me this is the biggest error that a reviewer can do: with good reviewers it's easy to understand how an album sounds and if i can like it even when their opinion its the opposite of mine

Top
 Profile  
Subrick
Metal freak

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:27 pm
Posts: 7688
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:03 pm 
 

Old ConorFynes reviews. He's a lot better now, but the majority of his work for a long while was just insufferable.
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
I'm just perpetually annoyed by Sean William Scott and he's never been in a movie where I wasn't rooting for his head to sever by strange means.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal

Top
 Profile  
dystopia4
Thumbman

Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:47 pm
Posts: 4348
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:12 pm 
 

Kluseba is spot on. You'd think after so many reviews he would have gotten at least somewhat good. Old Conor Fynes reviews are indeed terrible, thankfully he has improved dramatically. Napalm_Satan would be another obvious one, it's a shame he does the attention-whoring wild hyperbole thing, because he's not a bad writer otherwise. Glad Le_Mis is gone, that Liberation dude was also the worst.
_________________
http://ifthisishellthenimlucky.blogspot.ca/

Top
 Profile  
kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:36 am
Posts: 472
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:44 pm 
 

First of all, it needs to be defined what a bad reviewer is. Like the chief editor of one of the newspapers I wrote for as a teenager once said, as long as an opinion text you have written with all your expertise can be debated controversially and provokes a certain reaction, the goal has been accomplished. This is very important for the printing press because it's a dying art. Politically correct, overtly redundant and too diplomatic writing styles that follow the rules are needed for informal texts but not for reviews. What matters is a mixture of emotions, honesty and surprises. Some people might think this approach is contrarian, populist and simplistic but it's still the most successful style for opinion texts and speeches even if some people might not want to agree here. Obviously, this style doesn't need to be overdone and it can't be. Nobody writes five hundred controversial, debatable and thought-provoking reviews in a row. You can't force it because it has to come naturally to you. You have to use this approach from time to time to push things forward. Ask Donald Trump. Nobody seems to like him and yet he has achieved tremendous things using this strategy.

Some people pretend a bad reviewer is someone who has bad or incoherent taste. For others, it's someone who has an unusual writing style or approach to write reviews. For others again, it's someone who is either extremely predictable or contrarian. Most of those mentioned here in this thread aren't bad reviewers. There are some reviewers with whom I might passionately disagree about almost everything like Metal_Thrasher90. There are some that have a terrible writing style in my book like ConorFynes. But those reviewers have their very own style, opinion and identity and I don't consider them bad reviewers even if I don't like them for the reasons mentioned before. Almost nobody is feeling neutral about them. Since almost everyone has an opinion about them and knows about them, they can't be that bad.

Here's what I think bad reviewers are. I won't point out any specific reviewers but some might recognize who I'm talking about anyway. The worst kind of review is a review that has no redeemable features whatsoever. It's the kind of review you forget only seconds after you have read it, even though this person has already written hundreds or thousands of reviews. This review might have excellent grammar and spelling, it might be easy to read and follow and it might be the kind of review that makes sense and sounds coherent and is often close to a general consensus about a record. But it's the kind of review that is absolutely boring, exchangeable and lacking identity. It doesn't stand out in any way and doesn't add anything to already existing reviews about an album.

The second type of reviews I can't stand are reviewers who don't have an own opinion and always try to please others in order to get positive attention. Most veteran users will recommend a specific album and that reviewer will write a twentieth review and give that record a one hundred percent rating. Certain users are bashing a band or a specific album and that user will write another negative zero percent review even if the reviewer doesn't even know anything about the band or genre he or she discusses. Someone mentions an idea for a funny title for a review, a specific contest or a review challenge and that reviewer will immediately try to write a review based upon these ideas and expect positive feedback. I feel pity for such a reviewer because he or she seems to have mental issues and absolutely needs unconditional support and acceptance from other reviewers on the internet. It's a sad case and one ought not to make fun of it but it's still a terrible review style in all honesty.

The third and last type of reviews to avoid are those written by clowns and trolls. These reviewers might be memorable in one way or another but it still doesn't make their writing tolerable because what they write feels dishonest, predictable and tiring every single time. They only seem to have one single writing style without any exception and often disappear after having produced a few dozen reviews at most. This specifically concerns reviewers who either only give extremely negative reviews and rant bitterly about everything and anything and reviewers who only give nearly perfect grades and are childishly enthusiastic about anything presented to them no matter what.
_________________
My personal blog: http://kluseba.eklablog.com/


Last edited by kluseba on Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Derigin
The Mountain Man

Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:25 am
Posts: 4778
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:00 pm 
 

kluseba wrote:
Obviously, this style doesn't need to be overdone and it can't be. Nobody writes five hundred controversial, debatable and thought-provoking reviews in a row. You can't force it because it has to come naturally to you. You have to use this approach from time to time to push things forward. Ask Donald Trump. Nobody seems to like him and yet he has achieved tremendous things using this strategy.

What... Did you just compare yourself to Donald Trump?! :lol:
_________________
I kill fun with words.
Quote:
Metal Archives: Now it is safe from black magic

Metal Archives... is clean.

Top
 Profile  
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 12152
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:03 pm 
 

kluseba wrote:
Ask Donald Trump. Nobody seems to like him and yet he has achieved tremendous things using this strategy.

I see what you did there

Spoiler: show
Jesus fucking christ, how full of yourself are you
_________________
Von Cichlid wrote:
I work with plenty of Oriental and Indian persons and we get along pretty good, and some females as well.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Top
 Profile  
kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:36 am
Posts: 472
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:13 pm 
 

See how easy it was to get immediate feedback here using this strategy? ;-)

And no, Morrigan, I certainly don't think I'm the greatest reviewer. I have never pretended to be and I'm not even close. But I'm always doing the best I can and I'm simply being myself. And that's something I'm proud of.

And no, I'm not a Donald Trump supporter and I wouldn't compare myself to him. I have just explained that someone that might be considered a terrible reviewer in public might often strike a chord with more people than you think.
_________________
My personal blog: http://kluseba.eklablog.com/

Top
 Profile  
Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:55 pm
Posts: 3792
Location: Fml States of America
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:26 pm 
 

It's increasingly difficult to take you seriously at all, since you're basically saying you're not above spouting shite just to get a reaction.

Hence, reviewer to avoid (not necessarily bad, especially considering a self-produced definition of "badness" that categorically leaves him out).
_________________
Thunderwarrior91 wrote:
Quorthon's riffs are fucking bastard

Top
 Profile  
kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:36 am
Posts: 472
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:56 pm 
 

It's simple. My ratings and opinions on music can always be taken seriously without any doubt because they are honest and represent what I really think. The attitude and writing style I employ can vary to different degrees for different reasons.
_________________
My personal blog: http://kluseba.eklablog.com/

Top
 Profile  
Xlxlx
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:16 pm
Posts: 7459
Location: The Land Down Under (no, not THAT one)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:59 pm 
 

Even if your opinions and ratings are honest, the fact that your writing is clumsy, boring, and cheap in its attention-grabbing renders all of that null. Nobody gives a shit about how honest you are if you're crap at presenting your points.
_________________
MutantClannfear wrote:
I love that the reviews for the new Dying Fetus get abbreviated on the front page of MA as "Wrong One to Fuck..." Sounds like a remorseful concept album dealing with John Gallagher's experiences with STIs.

Top
 Profile  
kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:36 am
Posts: 472
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:05 pm 
 

Nice try. If nobody cared, nobody would even mention me. The numerous websites that have contacted me to collaborate with them and the numerous bands that have asked me to review their music sure don't think my writing is boring. You're entitled to your opinion but don't present it as a general truth.
_________________
My personal blog: http://kluseba.eklablog.com/

Top
 Profile  
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:46 pm
Posts: 8859
Location: At the Heat of Winter
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:14 pm 
 

I'm sure bands love Akerthorpe as well, since he always writes positive reviews. That doesn't make his writing any good or worth a damn.
_________________
Italy: #1 exporter of erroneous MA data since 2002.
Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 25596
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:19 pm 
 

No, your writing is objectively bad because you consistently post reviews with whiny, passive aggressive statements on bands like In Flames in which you strawman anyone who disagrees with you as a closed-minded traditionalist who can't handle new ideas, or some other such hogwash. If you would quit doing things like that, I doubt anyone would talk about your boring, clunky, vague reviews.

There IS such a thing as bad publicity, by the way. Comparing yourself to Trump because you get attention isn't a good look for you. Trump got attention because he was the loudest and most annoying candidate and pandered relentlessly to idiots who were desperate. Not a sign of quality.

PS many websites and magazines who want band reviews don't have very high standards. And bands who want reviews don't care about how good of a writer you are, they just want people to review their stuff. If you want to say you're prolific enough to be well known, sure. But don't confuse that with being a good reviewer.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: All Hallows Eve 2

Top
 Profile  
MDL
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:12 pm
Posts: 311
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:20 pm 
 

MDL666 is a good example to avoid. I generally have some bad reputation everywhere I go, so...

Top
 Profile  
caspian
Wanderer of the Wastes

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:29 pm
Posts: 6627
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:31 pm 
 

I don't think I've read a kluseba review.

I think he has a point though in that bandwagon jumpers are an annoying bunch. Not saying you have to be a contrarian or anything, but it's irritating when someone essentially takes the consensus every single review.

One person I'd single out who does this a lot is Hell's Unicorn. He's not a bad writer most of the time- in fact I like his style, like me and most other prolific reviewers he's found a formula and does fairly well going off that. But I found his royal seal of gayness series thoroughly annoying- what was it, 30 or so reviews where he trashed random groove metal bands that every single person knows are super shit? It achieves absolutely nothing, and is about as edgy as, I dunno, making a George Bush joke in 2008 was. Same with the 50 or so million reviews trashing that Waking the Cadaver EP- obviously a shit album but jeez, get a voice of your own.

Also I'm not sure if goatfangs is a regular reviewer but his april fools contribution are always horribly unfunny.
_________________
https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/ post rock- for fans of Hammock, This Will Destroy You, Landing etc. Name your price download of EP, and a few cds still left :)

Top
 Profile  
caspian
Wanderer of the Wastes

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:29 pm
Posts: 6627
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:32 pm 
 

Oh! Also that Akerthorpe fellow and anyone who cranks out way to many 90%s. Dudes like that are ruining the scoring system for this site, far moreso than the edgelords who give 0% to puppets.
_________________
https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/ post rock- for fans of Hammock, This Will Destroy You, Landing etc. Name your price download of EP, and a few cds still left :)

Top
 Profile  
Xlxlx
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:16 pm
Posts: 7459
Location: The Land Down Under (no, not THAT one)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:55 pm 
 

kluseba wrote:
Nice try. If nobody cared, nobody would even mention me. The numerous websites that have contacted me to collaborate with them and the numerous bands that have asked me to review their music sure don't think my writing is boring. You're entitled to your opinion but don't present it as a general truth.

So you're saying you're good because you're popular? :lol: Yeah, that's not how it works, man. Many publications and bands seek to extract positive reviews from as many sources as possible for the sake of marketing. You're just yet another tiny bit of free publicity for them.
caspian wrote:
I don't think I've read a kluseba review.

You're not missing out.
_________________
MutantClannfear wrote:
I love that the reviews for the new Dying Fetus get abbreviated on the front page of MA as "Wrong One to Fuck..." Sounds like a remorseful concept album dealing with John Gallagher's experiences with STIs.


Last edited by Xlxlx on Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Metantoine
Big Beautiful Frenchman

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:00 pm
Posts: 11672
Location: In the Rectory
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:59 pm 
 

caspian wrote:
I don't think I've read a kluseba review.

Not even his world famous St-Anger review!?
_________________
Metantoine's Magickal Realm
Halberd

Top
 Profile  
PorcupineOfDoom
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:52 pm
Posts: 118
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:06 pm 
 

kluseba wrote:
The worst kind of review is a review that has no redeemable features whatsoever. It's the kind of review you forget only seconds after you have read it, even though this person has already written hundreds or thousands of reviews.


Guilty as charged :p :D But seriously, I think a huge number of great reviewers fall under this category of yours - I've read a fair number of reviews (some good, some not so much), but I rarely remember which review mentioned this or that even if I thought it was spot on and made a great read. Maybe I just have a shit memory (more than likely), but I don't tend to remember many reviews long after closing the tab.

kluseba wrote:
Certain users are bashing a band or a specific album and that user will write another negative zero percent review even if the reviewer doesn't even know anything about the band or genre he or she discusses.


Honestly, as annoying as this is it's something a huge number of inexperienced reviewers do (at least that's what I did back when I started). Everyone has to start somewhere as the cliche goes, and easy targets are unfortunately among the most reviewed as a result. Look at Perverse Recollections of a Necromangler - I don't enjoy or understand the genre, but that didn't stop 16 year old me commenting on it anyway. It's a learning curve, and provided you do learn then mistakes can be forgiven, imo. Maybe I just like to think this because I'm a past offender though...

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 25596
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:07 pm 
 

kluseba wrote:
First of all, it needs to be defined what a bad reviewer is. Like the chief editor of one of the newspapers I wrote for as a teenager once said, as long as an opinion text you have written with all your expertise can be debated controversially and provokes a certain reaction, the goal has been accomplished. This is very important for the printing press because it's a dying art. Politically correct, overtly redundant and too diplomatic writing styles that follow the rules are needed for informal texts but not for reviews. What matters is a mixture of emotions, honesty and surprises. Some people might think this approach is contrarian, populist and simplistic but it's still the most successful style for opinion texts and speeches even if some people might not want to agree here. Obviously, this style doesn't need to be overdone and it can't be. Nobody writes five hundred controversial, debatable and thought-provoking reviews in a row. You can't force it because it has to come naturally to you. You have to use this approach from time to time to push things forward. Ask Donald Trump. Nobody seems to like him and yet he has achieved tremendous things using this strategy.


That criteria is pretty vague, too, to be honest. "Mixture of emotions" and "surprises" are too vague to mean a thing in this context. Good reviews come in all stripes, from clinical, scholarly analyses to the kind of chatting in a bar style, super casual, and everything in between. What matters is being able to articulate in detail why the thing you're reviewing works or doesn't work. It's much more simple then you're making it out to be - there's lots of ways to write well.

What ISN'T writing well is Donald Trump style "shocking" statements and idiotic, baseless statements thrown out to get attention. That's the opposite of what makes any criticism or writing in general good. If you think that proves Trump is somehow effective or think that's a positive thing, you don't know what you're talking about, and you should shut your mouth.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: All Hallows Eve 2

Top
 Profile  
caspian
Wanderer of the Wastes

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:29 pm
Posts: 6627
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:20 am 
 

guys, while I'm pretty sure kluseba does suck a fair bit he's probably not the main problem this site has (that would be the jews?) and the hate towards him does get a bit histrionic at times, he isn't Hitler or anything.
_________________
https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/ post rock- for fans of Hammock, This Will Destroy You, Landing etc. Name your price download of EP, and a few cds still left :)

Top
 Profile  
meshigene
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:43 pm
Posts: 66
Location: neverwhere
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:56 am 
 

kluseba sucks (no offense, kluseba), but hey, if he gave an album a high score, chances are that said album would make for a good "gateway" metal album. Unless it's fucking St. Anger.
_________________
zeingard wrote:
Man, not everyone is jerking off to collages of Morpheus Descends, Timeghoul and Demilich in their basement.

Most of them are doing it to 'Left Hand Path' with the right hand (which is wrong).

Top
 Profile  
Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:55 pm
Posts: 3792
Location: Fml States of America
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:17 pm 
 

meshigene wrote:
kluseba sucks (no offense, kluseba), but hey, if he gave an album a high score, chances are that said album would make for a good "gateway" metal album. Unless it's fucking St. Anger.

And with that, the last ray of hope was extinguished.
_________________
Thunderwarrior91 wrote:
Quorthon's riffs are fucking bastard

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 5740
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:56 pm 
 

Almost 30 posts in, and I'm nowhere to be found? What is this madness?
_________________
I write anime reviews. They're good for your health!
My Most Recent Review: Yona of the Dawn!
Coming Up Next:
K-On!!
After That: Otaku no Video and The Wings of Honneamise

Top
 Profile  
lord_ghengis
Metal freak

Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:31 pm
Posts: 5668
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:38 am 
 

Getting a reaction doesn't mean you don't suck, you can be notably BAD. people still react negatively to Adam Sandler movies. Not about kluseba himself, he's one of those guys who exists outside my bubble, just about his argument that reaction = worthwhile. I do agree that the mechanical dry reviews are generally the first I skip though, I tend to read reviews for deeper insight/new perspectives about things I hear, it's the internet age, I'm probably gonna listen to something if it interests me anyway, basic "this is an album of x genre and it is good/bad" buyers guides are kinda useless.
_________________
Naamath wrote:
No comments, no words need it, no BM, no compromise, only grains in her face.

Top
 Profile  
WR95
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:00 pm
Posts: 28
Location: Paraguay
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:32 am 
 

kluseba wrote:
It's simple. My ratings and opinions on music can always be taken seriously without any doubt because they are honest and represent what I really think. The attitude and writing style I employ can vary to different degrees for different reasons.

Really? I don't understand why you rate 65% for Seventh Son and 67% for No Prayer of the dying -.-' those 2% of difference is a joke... And 75% for Virtual XI?, I think I've seen enough ._.

Top
 Profile  
kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:36 am
Posts: 472
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:11 am 
 

I write these reviews for myself in the first place and not to please anyone. Obviously, if I can inspire some people to listen to the music I describe or make them react in one way or another, I'm always glad about that feedback. If you read the arguments given in my three Iron Maiden reviews mentioned before, you would exactly understand why I have rated these albums that way. You're obviously entitled to disagree with my opinion but these reviews are very well written from an argumentative point of view. Maybe you don't want to understand my arguments because you personally don't agree with them but that's your problem.

This being said, my so-called contrarian reviews represent only a small precentage of the numerous reviews I have written, so I can't take people seriously who are only judging me on this small part. If reviews get a reaction, it means they mean something to someone, no matter if it's positive or negative. That's better than boring reviews nobody cares about as I already explained. You can disagree here once more but that's my opinion and you have to deal with it.

By the way, please be more creative than calling my reviews ''passive aggressive'' and ''butthurt'', most of you guys keep repeating yourselves over and over again without being constructive.
_________________
My personal blog: http://kluseba.eklablog.com/

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Magic Mike

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 8508
Location: Elgin, Illinois
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:28 am 
 

Dude your problem is that whenever you're criticized you launch into these huge diatribes about how the fact that we care at all is proof positive that you're literally incapable of being bad at this or needing improvement at all. That's the kind of shit that turns into a Five Finger Death Punch song. That's the kind of argument that people use to say that Sabaton's popularity means they're quantifiably great and anybody who doesn't like them is just jealous.

I'm not here to knock opinions, I've been called out hundreds of times for my own, but that's neither the point nor the problem. The point is that when you're making a statement that you know will ruffle feathers, you do this weird contradictory thing where you simultaneously get up on a pedestal and talk down to people while also being really passive aggressive and defensive about it. It's annoying to read and, coupled with posts like this thread, shows you to be immature and petty.
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST THING: LADDER MATCH - Blind Guardian VS Candlemass
The Outer RIM - Uatism: The dogs bark in street slang

Top
 Profile  
WR95
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:00 pm
Posts: 28
Location: Paraguay
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:10 pm 
 

kluseba wrote:
I write these reviews for myself in the first place and not to please anyone. Obviously, if I can inspire some people to listen to the music I describe or make them react in one way or another, I'm always glad about that feedback. If you read the arguments given in my three Iron Maiden reviews mentioned before, you would exactly understand why I have rated these albums that way. You're obviously entitled to disagree with my opinion but these reviews are very well written from an argumentative point of view. Maybe you don't want to understand my arguments because you personally don't agree with them but that's your problem.


Yes, I read your arguments, the album (7th son) is too cleaned, too soft and else (if you want a raw production go to listen speed or thrash)... And the other, ah "Maiden runs out of ideas because the title track uses the same element and structure of Ancient Mariner"... But hey, in your Dance of Death review you say that is the best album (and I agree, in part), but songs like Gates of tomorrow... Don't you think the band has already used something on the past? (*Cough cough* Lord of the Lies *cough cough*). You're not honest at all


Last edited by WR95 on Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 25596
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:11 pm 
 

kluseba wrote:
This being said, my so-called contrarian reviews represent only a small precentage of the numerous reviews I have written, so I can't take people seriously who are only judging me on this small part. If reviews get a reaction, it means they mean something to someone, no matter if it's positive or negative. That's better than boring reviews nobody cares about as I already explained.


The fact that you write stuff like this at all completely invalidates you as a critic and writer, far as I'm concerned. I'd say that about any reviewer no matter where they wrote for or what they wrote about.

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/I ... eba/238242

This whole review proves that you are terrible at this, in every way.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: All Hallows Eve 2

Top
 Profile  
kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:36 am
Posts: 472
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:44 pm 
 

Thanks for your answer, BastardHead. I agree that I'm being defensive and that some of my arguments are debatable. I disagree being passive-aggressive or butthurt.

The thing is that a small part of my reviews is contrarian and it's always for a purpose and people keep criticizing me for this because they're being sensitive about it and often in rather impolite manners. It shouldn't be a surprise then that I stand my ground and participate in the debate and adapt to its attitude in a certain way as long as I feel I still have something to say. That's not being passive aggressive in my book. I'm actively stating my opinions clearly. Some people might call this arrogant, direct or rude and others might call it clear, confident and honest. I'm okay with both points of view.

You're right about the fact that I'm being defensive and that I like to discuss these things but I'm not being butthurt. If I were, I wouldn't even reply in threads like these anymore and try to change my writing style in order to not get singled out all the time in threads like these. You have to understand that this kind of argumentation might work with users like Napalm_Satan or ConorFynes who are almost immediately going to please other users and changing their style by even deleting their reviews entirely because they are lacking self-confidence. But no matter how many times you call me out for being butthurt, I'm sticking to my formula. Some people are frustrated that I don't change because they would like to have an impact on me as they had on other users. Instead of being honest, they say that my writing didn't evolve. Anyone who takes a look at one of my reviews from 2010 and at another one from 2016 will have to admit that there are significant changes.

If people compare me to Adam Sandler, then I have no problem with this. He has his very own identity and some people adore him while others despise him. Once again, if he were as bad some of you think, he wouldn't be where he is right now. The same thing applies to Sabaton that are still attracting several thousands of metal fans to their shows who like what they see, hear and feel.

My writing can't be as bad as many people claim when I got several trainings, projects and jobs in businesses related to journalism and was chosen over many other candidates and keep getting private messages with positive feedback or review requests and that even from artists that haven't gotten perfect grades from me. I will rather listen to people I have actually worked with and what they have to suggest than to some angry users jumping on the bandwagon and calling me contrarian-passive-aggressive-butthurt like a broken record to get some attention. Obviously, not all users are like this and some are stating their opinions clearly and respectfully and that's absolutely fine. But due to the anonymity of the internet, many users jump on a bandwagon and just repeat what others have said before without any arguments and these people are called out by me. Maybe they don't even deserve my attention and time but I don't want them to think that they're being accepted and approved for what they do.

Concerning Empyreal, I don't mind you thinking that I'm a terrible writer. Since I'm not a fan of your writing style which I find bland, boring and faceless, I would actually feel more concerned if you approved my reviews. The fact that you point out one specific review over and over again of one specific writing style of mine among numerous hundreds of reviews and different writing styles shows how closed-minded you actually are. In how many threads have you mentioned my Siren Charms review already? The fact that you wrote a review about the same album in response to it without being truly familiar with the album and genre shows that you're the one who is actually passive-aggressive-butthurt. It's really obvious that you wrote your Siren Charms review during a lunch break because it's lacking quality and worse than what you usually write.

Concerning WR95, you pick out a few arguments that are completely out of context and call me dishonest. I stated that Gates of Tomorrow is indeed one of the weaker tracks on the album and sounds like retro rock which means that it's going back to a style that already existed before. Concerning the production of Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, I compare its weak production to the production of other Iron Maiden albums and I have never ever stated that I want a raw speed metal production like you claim. Seriously, if you want to debate my reviews seriously, you will need better arguments.
_________________
My personal blog: http://kluseba.eklablog.com/

Top
 Profile  
meshigene
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:43 pm
Posts: 66
Location: neverwhere
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:45 pm 
 

speak of the devil...
_________________
zeingard wrote:
Man, not everyone is jerking off to collages of Morpheus Descends, Timeghoul and Demilich in their basement.

Most of them are doing it to 'Left Hand Path' with the right hand (which is wrong).

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Magic Mike

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 8508
Location: Elgin, Illinois
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:05 pm 
 

I changed my mind, you're more of the Jari Maenpaa school of argumentation. When I say "You're too proud of yourself to even be open to listening to criticism and trying to improve yourself, instead opting for lengthy defenses that completely deflect the complaints people have and claim that you're undeniably good at this because people are paying attention in the first place", you come back with "Nuh uh, here's a lengthy post about how I'm really proud of what I'm doing and I will do absolutely nothing towards understanding and taking criticism in order to improve myself and also underhandedly pat myself on the back for being undeniably good at this because people are paying attention to me".
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST THING: LADDER MATCH - Blind Guardian VS Candlemass
The Outer RIM - Uatism: The dogs bark in street slang

Top
 Profile  
kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:36 am
Posts: 472
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:12 pm 
 

Wrong. I agreed with you on certain points and disagreed on others. I won't repeat myself further, I have said everything I needed to.
_________________
My personal blog: http://kluseba.eklablog.com/

Top
 Profile  
WR95
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:00 pm
Posts: 28
Location: Paraguay
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:19 pm 
 

kluseba wrote:
Concerning WR95, you pick out a few arguments that are completely out of context and call me dishonest. I stated that Gates of Tomorrow is indeed one of the weaker tracks on the album and sounds like retro rock which means that it's going back to a style that already existed before. Concerning the production of Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, I compare its weak production to the production of other Iron Maiden albums and I have never ever stated that I want a raw speed metal production like you claim. Seriously, if you want to debate my reviews seriously, you will need better arguments.


Yep, and St. Anger is the beeest metal album ever (Of course, champion).
Listen in vinyl. Mp3 is horrible. Even Piece of Mind have the poorest production (and is the weakest of 80's), if we talk about the first seven records. You don't need to make long reviews just to prove that you're very elitist. You're very generous with the worst albums.

Top
 Profile  
WR95
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:00 pm
Posts: 28
Location: Paraguay
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:43 pm 
 

One time before the "april fools" Human666 has rated 5% for The Sound of Perseverance, I think is the other Napalm_Satan's account, this user have also the lower rating along with Kruel's review. If you look his profile and reviews, most of them give 0-5%
The others reviewers to avoid are Nhorf, Noktorn, Ancient_Mariner, Falconsbane, matt85210, UnholyCrusada imo.


Last edited by WR95 on Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
lord_ghengis
Metal freak

Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:31 pm
Posts: 5668
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:25 pm 
 

Not to keep bringing up In Flames, but I gave it a look and seriously that review reads like a Clickhole article with all the "how cool is that!" Enthusiasm after sarcastic looking statements haha.
_________________
Naamath wrote:
No comments, no words need it, no BM, no compromise, only grains in her face.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Five_Nails and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group