Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Orbitball
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:12 am 

Hey, yo!

It doesn't matter how many reviews I do good or bad then my revisions and still rejections nothing gets approved. Last time was a 3 paragraph EP out of maybe 15 reviews. I've had everything rejected no matter what. And I follow the guidelines. You just don't want my reviews. I get it, so I'll just writing for other websites.

Ever since TheBurningOfSodom became the moderator I've had 1-2 reviews approved out of maybe 30.

Of course I'm upset because these smaller bands need promoting and they're not getting it.

I'm a Philosophy major and this is just unfair.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:03 am 

Um, where to start.

Very simply, and very bluntly, you've had everything you needed to know explained in the last thread you made. Your reviews have remained basically the same since then. None of us saw any kind of improvements, and the very few I've accepted I was pretty much torn about them, and were more out of goodwill on my part (which, in hindsight, was entirely undeserved) than anything else. Hell, even on the post you just made I'm having trouble understanding everything. You see my name almost exclusively because not even the other mods want to accept them. Might be some sort of indication for you, isn't it? But no, Italian guy bad, of course!

Now, seriously, I have to ask you to stop laying the blame on me alone, as next time I see you calling out my name in public just to vent your frustration, as if I were some sort of second coming of Stalin, I might stop being so polite and I might even tell you where to put your Philosophy degree.

To quote an ever-so-relevant (if overused) sentence, "this is not an airport, you don't need to announce your departure".

Best regards.

lonerider wrote:
Think I'm gonna go take a whiz through my fretboard now

It's the dawn of descending...

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:18 am 

Orbitball wrote:
Hey, yo!

It doesn't matter how many reviews I do good or bad then my revisions and still rejections nothing gets approved. Last time was a 3 paragraph EP out of maybe 15 reviews. I've had everything rejected no matter what. And I follow the guidelines. You just don't want my reviews. I get it, so I'll just writing for other websites.

Ever since TheBurningOfSodom became the moderator I've had 1-2 reviews approved out of maybe 30.

Of course I'm upset because these smaller bands need promoting and they're not getting it.

I'm a Philosophy major and this is just unfair.

If your reviews are written anything like this post, I'd "rehect" them too. This lack of care and proofreading is what review moderators are looking out for. They're not just picking on you. TheBurningOfSodom is a very dedicated and friendly dude, and only wants what's best for this site. Calling him out like this - twice, even - is not a good look.

The time you spend blaming TheBurningOfSodom could be spent proofreading and improving yourself. I'm telling you right now, "I get it, so I'll just writing for other websites" could easily be a Metal Archives meme. And paradoxically, the wisest thing you said.

TheBurningOfSodom wrote:
Now, seriously, I have to ask you to stop laying the blame on me alone, as next time I see you calling out my name in public just to vent your frustration, as if I were some sort of second coming of Stalin, I might stop being so polite and I might even tell you where to put your Philosophy degree.

If this doesn't make it to someone's signature, I swear.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:58 am 

I think Burning is simply the most active review queue mod right now. He doesn't have a personal problem with you. If you can take on board the feedback given to you, you will certainly see more reviews being accepted.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:47 am 

Tanuki wrote:
If this doesn't make it to someone's signature, I swear.

lmao, my job here would be done I guess.

lonerider wrote:
Think I'm gonna go take a whiz through my fretboard now

It's the dawn of descending...

VictimOfScience
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:48 am 

No offense, but I honestly thought that this is trolling, as with the cleverly titled thread and the epic parting note "I'm a Philosophy major and this is just unfair", it's very difficult to take any of this seriously.

There is definitely a vigorous standard on The Archives, and I had my fair share of stuff being rejected back when I started writing reviews. Looking back at it, the mods who did it had all the right to do this, in defense of my own best interest as well. After all, we'd want our writings to be something we're proud of and what we can show our friends and other observers with pride, not cringe-worthy mumblings that we'd roll our eyes about a year or two later.

TheBurningOfSodom approved every one of my reviews without an exception ever since he became a review queue admin. He doesn't reject reviews just for the hell of it. That's a false conclusion. There is a great forum thread (https://forum.metal-archives.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16487) that is full of very practical and useful advice that can help you to write better reviews. Of course, that's only possible if you think that there is something to be improved in your reviews. If you think they're perfect (hint: The fact that you got a Philosophy degree doesn't make metal album reviews good), then it won't help you. There's no need to stop writing for the site, you can just for the first time take what he's saying into consideration and try to implement that in your writing.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:25 am 

Yeah, let's nip this thread in the bud.

There's a reason why you've never been scribed despite being a prolific reviewer, and that's because the quality of your reviews tends to vary significantly. In some ways, it's actually kinda sad seeing reviewers who have been around for so long who don't improve, but just ride that line of what's acceptable and what's not. Man, you've been reviewing on MA for 13 years, and no matter which review mod is monitoring the queue, you still have a high ratio of reviews that are rejected versus those that pass. TheBurningOfSodom is doing his job - and a fine job at that - and he isn't to blame for the quality of your reviews. If you truly cared about promoting smaller bands, and using MA as a means to do so through your reviewing, I would imagine that you would take every opportunity to improve your reviews, instead of just throwing them at a wall and hoping a mod might just accept them this time.

Frankly, I'm a War Studies major and don't think that's fair!

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.