Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:56 am 

A few months ago, I posted a Sonja - Loud Arriver review. It was accepted normally without an issue. Lately, I wanted to edit that review and add some sentences. I posted it And...... it got rejected. Reason was that what I said were contradictory to each other even though I wrote what I thought and didn't say anything in the part of: "The vocals suck". And in the next paragraph I didn't write "oh wow the vocals are godly". I am sure the review was accepted by a different moderator than the one who rejected it. I deleted the review. Probably a mistake so I could show you what it exactly said in the description.

This is the edited review:
Spoiler: show
Quote:
So, I recently listened to the new album of Sonja, and I did not really like this combination of alternative/industrial and gothic elements with heavy riffing. I'm just not fond of the entire concept and atmosphere.

The guitar tone sounds so early 2000's and it is just as bad as listening to Geoff Tate's current guitarists playing "Queen of The Ryche" with that terrible crunchy modern rock sound. Sure there might be some clever riffs here and there but they are usually combined with bad-sounding disharmonic chords that ruin the entire experience for me. Also, I don't recall there ever being a single memorable lead in any of the songs and this tends to bring to my mind the majority of nu-metal songs. No solos, only bland shapes, and constant repetitiveness.

That's what this record is doing. In addition, almost all of the songs sound the same to me. Honestly, there is close to 0 variety. I don't even know how this band was booked to play in Up The Hammers next year. I think Sonja is the black sheep of that festival. They are not epic, not speed nor do they even sound classic(but then again you have Enforcer playing, so I guess any band could play in UTH). If they played a headlining concert with local bands such as Perseptik and Avith, then it would make more sense.

I appreciate all of the musicians' abilities but I can't force myself to enjoy a record like "Loud Arriver". So while "Loud Arriver" attempts to do something unique in the scene, I would prefer to listen to something that is hard as steel but captivating. I was told by some people who recommended me this album, that it would blow my mind but instead, it left me yawning and dissatisfied. Also I forgot to mention that Melissa has your average generic alternative rock voice that could be heard on most early 00's and early 10's alternative music albums.

The unedited review is the same without the final sentence.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:48 am 

My two cents for your edited review were that, basically, the sentence you added feels lazily tacked at the end, making for an awkward read when you read it again from beginning to end. It really should have been embedded better and more organically in the whole writing. Even if you did forget to say that originally, you don't *need* to point it out, so to speak.

Anyways, please note that it alone is not enough for rejection, and I'm not the one who rejected it, moreover. It probably didn't help, though.

nightbreaker33 wrote:
I deleted the review. Probably a mistake so I could show you what it exactly said in the description.

Indeed, as the rejection message gets lost this way.

lonerider wrote:
Think I'm gonna go take a whiz through my fretboard now

It's the dawn of descending...

Reply to topic