Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
sandwiches
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:19 pm 

Alright, I'm sort of a new member to the community, and I personally love to write reviews about music, but I have a couple quick questions (if anyone really has an exact answer to them):

1) Is the style of going through an album track-by-track acceptable even though it says it is only discouraged?

2) Is there a certain number of songs on an album it would be valid for? Like if an album has let's say 3 or 4 tracks, what would be the number of tracks you need to stay under to review every track in a line or two?

Thanks in advance

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:00 pm 

Well it depends, if you review the new Iron Maiden and review all the songs one by one, that's clearly going to get rejected by if you review a 2 songs split and you review each song, it would be fine. It's highly preferable to give a larger picture when you review something, simply use the songs as examples of what you mean instead of writing a recipe-link essay. There's no need to describe everything anyway, it's boring if you do.

My recommendation: don't do it.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:40 am 

Yeah, basically checklists in general suck because they're boring and don't give much of a big-picture look most of the time. This goes for both track-by-track reviews and "let's talk about each instrument separately" reviews. I'm guilty of the latter myself and while it's not as awful as stilted track-by-tracks, it still makes for really dry, dull reading.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Roffle_the_Thrashard
Thrash Slinging Slasher

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:39 am 

One thing that helps is reviewing things that you are not familiar with. Stepping out of one's musical comfort zone isn't always easy, but you'll feel more pumped to review something that's new to you, rather than something that you hear all the time. I only review releases when I want to as well. If you write something about an album that doesn't scream "review me," you are not going to have a fun time.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:54 am 

I'll usually opt for a structure something along the lines of a short intro which leads to a description of the overall sound and its qualities. Then round off with a few of the low points, and then lead to a sort of conclusion and outro.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:04 pm 

Don't be a track-by-track reviewer, dude.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:16 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
Don't be a track-by-track reviewer, dude.

Seconding this. With very few exceptions (almost always short albums) track-by-tracks make for worthless reads and almost always indicate that the writer doesn't know how to review.

Besides, you wouldn't review a movie scene by scene, why would you do the same for an album? The goal should be to give an overall impression drawing inspiration from particular songs (or scenes, in the case of movies) whenever necessary.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Stillborn Machine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:40 pm 

You could use certain songs as examples to highlight particularly standout components of a band if you're going over their general sound and pick a few other tracks that were the best of the bunch to illustrate why the group works so well as a whole.

Reply to topic