Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:54 am 

I have taken a really long break from reviewing, and part of that is a lack of inspiration. Reviews may be informational, but there is a creative spark to them and I feel like I lost it for a while.

It hasnt helped that much of the Metal coming out recently hasnt appealed to me (Ive been obsessed with Von Goat, Have A Nice Life and Slint, and not much else, for the past several months), but part of it is apathy.

So any tips for me on getting back into the swing? Anyone else experience the same thing as I have?

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:41 pm 

I reviewed a bit back in 2006 and took a break for a few years. Came back for another bit in 2009 and then took a break for a few years. I've been going strong since 2012 and there's no real reason aside from wanting to share some great music with people who might like it. I noticed there wasn't a lot of coverage in my favorite style at the time, which could pretty much be referred to as first wave worshiping black metal, Motorhead versus Bathory kind of stuff or just plain old goat metal.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:50 pm 

It's good to see you trying to warm up the car, HeySharpshooter. You're one of my friend's favorite reviewers. I'm not familiar enough with your style to be able to offer much other than abstract encouragement, but because of my friend's enthusiasm I've been meaning to read some of your work anyhow, so this would be a good opportunity.

Just off the cuff, though, I thought of something I'm not sure I've seen before in reviews. Similar to the way that the best fiction authors are able to convincingly write from different points of view, maybe there are details or themes that could be focused on in a way that isn't practiced and habitual for you. That might be pretty cool. Crafting reviews more like cherry-picked vignettes homing in on a particularly choice aspect rather than being comprehensive.

DawnoftheShred
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:06 pm 

I feel you brah.

Might I suggest trying to pick bands/albums outside of your usual subgenre predilections? You may find that stepping outside your usual listening space can be refreshing and may eventually allow you to return to your original modus operandi with new insight.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:45 am 

Well, honestly, whenever I find myself taking an extended break, I usually get back into it by FOCUSING on my comfort zone. Stepping outside of your usual trappings is a great way to switch up and exercise creativity when you feel yourself getting stale, but once you've been out of the game for a while it seems kinda counterintuitive to do something you're not used to or not comfortable with. Brett Favre isn't going to come out of retirement to play wide receiver.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:41 pm 

Maybe do a series of reviews? I did that to get out of a hiatus a while ago (like French doom metal or whatever). You're one of the best reviewers we have, it would be cool to get some new ones from you!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

DawnoftheShred
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:20 pm 

But Michael Jordan might come out of retirement to play baseball. And Favre probably couldn't have done much worse receiving.

Loose sports analogies aside, it was just a suggestion. I wouldn't have offered it if I didn't think it could be helpful.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:16 pm 

DawnoftheShred wrote:
But Michael Jordan might come out of retirement to play baseball. And Favre probably couldn't have done much worse receiving.

Loose sports analogies aside, it was just a suggestion. I wouldn't have offered it if I didn't think it could be helpful.

Yeah but MJ was mediocre at baseball but the greatest basketball player of all time.

I know, it wasn't a dig at you or anything, it's just my own personal experience. When I wrote almost nothing for a long time and then sprouted up with about a year of relative prolificivity (I'm just making up words now), it all started because of a Wintersun review, aka something that's totally in my wheelhouse. In my experience, it helped me to find something within an area I knew well but had an extreme opinion on. Maybe the opposite would work better for Sharpshooter, who really knows?
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:32 am 

Thanks for the advice and kind words everyone. I appreciate the feedback.

I have a review in the oven right now... but I feel so totally unsatisfied with it. I think the lay off has made me critical.

And I can see both sides of the "try something new" or "back to basics" type thing, and I did get a bit of an idea: do both. That might be fun.

Ive alwayd considered doing a series but I have avoided it because I like to review new stuff since most classic albums have been reviewed to death and
I dont want to waste a mods time.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:04 pm 

Given your apparent reputation, you won't. Just do what you need to do to shake the rust off.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:01 pm 

HeySharpshooter wrote:
I have a review in the oven right now... but I feel so totally unsatisfied with it. I think the lay off has made me critical.

It might be worth posting in the Workshop. It would be useful to see works in progress from experienced writers.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:05 pm 

HeySharpshooter wrote:
Ive alwayd considered doing a series but I have avoided it because I like to review new stuff since most classic albums have been reviewed to death and I dont want to waste a mods time.

I'm more talking about a series of obscure bands or scenes, I did one for French doom, one for Italian doom, one about the projects of Jussi Lehtisalo and I'm planning one about obscure Quebecois metal. I absolutely do not need want to read a bunch of Metallica reviews even if the best reviewer did them, you got that right!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:40 am 

Maybe redo or remove entirely that terrible Mournful Congregation review of yours. :p

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:59 am 

I've never done a review "series" per se. Sounds fun, but I can't really be bothered since my picks are generally of little/no interest to the average reader.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:20 am 

Serieseseses can be fun because it gives readers reason to tune in. Maybe they like the theme and will take notice whenever they see the title. It can be a good way for readers to find new stuff. They may not be of interest now, but they certainly COULD be thanks to you!

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:16 pm 

I definitely agree with BastardHead about sticking to your comfort zone; it's a good way to ease back into it. I know the feeling about trying to get back into it and having a hard time. Haven't been reviewing lately because I've been too busy, but it's something I'd really like to get back into to help maintain my writing abilities (and because it's fun to nerd out about metal). Tried writing a review for Enemy of the Sun last week and after a paragraph and a half I just couldn't do it. I felt my writing was a lot more clunky than usual, and I just couldn't achieve the same flow. I think it's something where you just have to knock through a few before you can really get back to where you want to be.

I don't think I've ever done a full on series of a scene, but it's really fun to go through a band's discography and see how they progress. I've noticed things about bands I love that I might not have picked up on that way.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:06 am 

Coming back to MA I thought about reviewing again but it's been 2 years now of nothing. Reading this thread made me consider it more. Doubt I'll come up with anything these next few months but the wheels are turning as I listen to more metal albums again. Lots of stuff I haven't dug into this past year alone.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Last edited by OzzyApu on Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:41 pm 

I'd be quite interested in your thoughts on the new Amorphis, if nothing else.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:27 pm 

Haven't looked into new Amorphis at all. I really need to take time to buckle down with listening to stuff. Bad albums I know will make me angry so as to want to say how bad it is.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:37 pm 

Would be nice to see you reviewing again! Pretty boring lately

Last.fm

Reply to topic