Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:52 pm 

ThrashingMad wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
I have never posted in here, but I thought this was something:
Razakel on Bring Me The Horizon - Count Your Blessings wrote:
I’m confused how people can actually listen to what I consider pure dog shit.

How about different musical tastes, dipshit?

Are you kidding me, you actually take that literally? I'm sure he knows that people have differing musical tastes, I don't think you can survive past the age of five or so without stumbling across that fact. It's goddamn hyperbole.

Hyperbole or not, it still sounds like he is saying that he is confused at how people listen to stuff he hates. That was my first impression.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:22 pm 

Well, I will agree that it was worded somewhat oddly but still, you can't really take comments like those at face value, especially in a review.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:31 am 

It makes pretty good sense to me.

To be honest, I also wonder how people can listen to what I consider pure dog shit.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

DrOctavia
Do Dark Horses Dream of Nightmares?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:49 am 

caspian wrote:
To be honest, I also wonder how people can listen to what I consider pure dog shit.

Sometimes I wonder how people can listen to what you like. :p

In the heat and the rain, with the whips and chains
To see him fly, so many die
We built a tower of stone, with our flesh and bone
Just to see him fly, but we don't know why
Now where do we go?

caspian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:52 am 

DrOctavia wrote:
caspian wrote:

Sometimes I wonder how people can listen to what you like. :p

It's cos I'm open minded/eclectic/intellectual/non-conformist, you know. It's the cross I have to bear ;)

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

DrOctavia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:00 am 

caspian wrote:
It's cos I'm open minded/eclectic/intellectual/non-conformist

*Eyes your sig*

Now where do we go?

DrOctavia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:42 am 

I really liked this quote from Noktorn's latest:
Quote:
I feel about this album the way many people probably feel about, say, 'God Hates Us All'. I still like it, even though my tastes have 'advanced' past it in a lot of ways. It's a disc that I like to bring out occasionally to remind myself of that feeling of discovery when I was first getting into metal. It makes me happy to hear; transports me back to being eleven or twelve years old, furtively downloading Meshuggah MP3s off Kazaa nonstop and always sharing what new musical discovery I'd stumbled upon with my friends. Such a view is a bad way to critique music. It's a great way to experience it, though.

Which may explain why I'll never be a jaded reviewer.

And an amusing line from Gunther:
Quote:
Most noticeably, solos are rarer than a unicorn, Bruce Willis, and a horde of vampires having tea in Malebolgia’s underpants.

Now where do we go?

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:05 pm 

I found these two gems;
BastardHead's new Cryptopsy
'New vocalist Matt McGachy is decent by deathcore standards, so I guess he fits... But then again, I'm not going to compliment a complete dickhead for being really good at kicking me in the balls'

and a old classic;

UltraBoris on Opeth in a Running Wild review (just discovered that band, pretty cool)
'Should you get this album? Nah, classic metal sucks. Keep jerking off to Opeth.'

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:07 pm 

Bastardhead is funny that way. I remember I was trying to find the right words to criticize him with way back at the start of his reviewing career, and I realize that I wanted to say something like "goes overboard too much." But now it seems like he does it so well that it doesn't matter at all.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:11 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Bastardhead is funny that way. I remember I was trying to find the right words to criticize him with way back at the start of his reviewing career, and I realize that I wanted to say something like "goes overboard too much." But now it seems like he does it so well that it doesn't matter at all.

Going overboard is fun, I do it quite a bit in my reviews generally going on tangents and rants about extreme metal fans not liking rock music. I've just submitted another Motorhead review for Bastards with one in.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:14 pm 

Yeah, it's nothing to criticize for, makes for very good reviews. Haha.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:25 pm 

I just deleted an incredibly shitty little review from '05, but I felt the title was worth preserving: "It is like Jesus, but real"

Asphyxia666 should be congratulated at least for making me smirk a bit.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:16 pm 

Anyone notice Phuling had 80ish reviews accepted on the 19th? What the christ?

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm 

The_Boss wrote:

'Zine writer, just submitted his whole back catalogue en masse.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:53 pm 

OlympicSharpshooter wrote:
The_Boss wrote:

'Zine writer, just submitted his whole back catalogue en masse.

Oh, well that makes sense of course.

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:05 am 

From Dulthasil's recent critique of Bonded by Blood:
http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=728#147299

"Allow me to rant for a second. To claim to hate posers, who prize image over the music, for Exodus is at least ironic and possibly hypocritical. How so many metalheads don't see the image over music here is unbelievable (although image is an important part of all music). Part of this kind of thrash is to be seen to be into it to prove a point, and it really is not a small part. This is as much to do with image as say Beyonce (yes that is an extreme example), here it seems to be image and ticking boxes over quality and quite frankly bands like this with the same message and similar music are ten a penny. Though people talk of female fronted metal or power metal being over-subscribed, just go look at the quantity of thrash bands just on this website and compare, it would appear almost every high school in the world has its own thrash band, which genre is truly oversubscribed? Why? Because its simple to write and not as difficult as "teh riffs!" enthusiasts would have you think to play. My apologies for the somewhat personal agenda here but it needs to be said."

Allow me to ask what hes babbling about up there?

"{A lesson in violence" however is a terrible song; from the opening riff it screams tiresome thrash monotony. This is the problem with this album, filler."

Yeah, sure.

"...when stretched to being used for roughly 35 minutes of a 50 minute album it does begin to drag."

Try 40.

"...as anyone who uses the name of the genre in a song title is either retarded or satirical and its doubtful this album is the latter."

:|

"All forms of vocals have their merits except punk vocals and that’s what this is. The hardcore element is very obvious here and it makes the music grate."

Has he even heard punk or hardcore vocals?
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:52 am 

I thought he was going to have a decent point about 'poseurs' and thrash, but my God that was horribly phrased. Gives me a headache just to read it.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:57 am 

I thought he was going to have a decent point about 'poseurs' and thrash, but my God that was horribly phrased. Gives me a headache just to read it.

Yeah, agreed.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:57 pm 

Honestly, having read it, I was considering nuking it the whole time for its copious errors. I mean seriously, he misspells the goddamn album title, and uses the wrong its/it's at least twice; did he proofread at all, or just spellcheck and submit? For such a well-known album with so many reviews I think our standards ought to be higher. Any other opinions?

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:09 pm 

If I weren't studying for exams I'd purge the album in general. I would have little objection to deleting it, save for the lack of contrary opinions there. Perhaps we can wait a few weeks. I'll post my own (somewhat) negative review and at that time nuke the write-up in question.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:28 pm 

William_747 on Between the Buried and Me - Colors:
Quote:
Now we have a new number from these guys, entitled Colors. It was released late 2007, and was quite possibly the most hyped album of the year as far as the underground goes

Mmm... m'kay...? Obviously I'm not a part of the underground, but this seems like something to be found in a pretentious review of a crappy black metal demo from Uzbekistan... :scratch:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:51 pm 

If I weren't studying for exams I'd purge the album in general. I would have little objection to deleting it, save for the lack of contrary opinions there. Perhaps we can wait a few weeks. I'll post my own (somewhat) negative review and at that time nuke the write-up in question.

Sounds reasonable. I certainly would've deleted the review without a second thought if it hadn't been one of only two that didn't acclaim it as a masterpiece, but if you care to donate a better one then I doubt anyone will have compunctions about deleting it.

DawnoftheShred
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:52 pm 

OSS's review of Yngwie Malmsteen - Rising Force

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=313

even though I completely disagree with him, it's hands down the funniest review on the site.

HowDisgusting
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:24 am 

From Desecrator_666's review of Behemoth - Demigod:
Quote:
I can't really believe this. I mean, when I was 14 and used to believe that Deicide was a creative death metal band (ha!), I really liked this album. In fact, I used to believe that this was "daH bEsxzt aLbUum EvaARrR!!!!1!".

Why is this hilarious, you ask?

Go check out the reviewer's profile.

Quote:
Real name Alejandro
Gender Male
Country Mexico
Age 16
Favorite metal genre(s) Metal with fucking balls

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:09 pm 

Sooooooo... who read the newest The Stench of Redemption review? It's nice to have a dissenting opinion in there, but there are some spots that made me go "ugh".

First off, saying some things reminded him of Job for a Cowboy's Genesis? What the fuck, that came out afterwards, no need to slag off on a band that another band sounds like. Also, it seems odd that he points out Desecration for having an awesome solo that doesn't fit the song, as it's easily the most atonal solo on the entire record, thus not having much merit to blame Santolla. I personally thought Santolla's presence was the breath of fresh air that Deicide needed, because they were indisputably becoming stale quick. Not lambasting the review, just disagreeing and pointing out some bizarre criticisms.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:37 pm 

The word 'neo-thrash' appeared during one of the paragraphs for the latest review of Death Angel's 'Killing Season'. Needless to say I pretty much stopped reading around about there.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:39 pm 

I was reading a review of Realm - Suiciety by WigglyPete, and I found this passage hilarious. I haven't stopped giggling for like 30 minutes, haha.

Quote:
They have high pitched vocals that are sometimes kind of wiggly sounding as if the vocalist is being violently shaken by an angry gorilla.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:34 pm 

zeingard wrote:
The word 'neo-thrash' appeared during one of the paragraphs for the latest review of Death Angel's 'Killing Season'. Needless to say I pretty much stopped reading around about there.

That pretty much means that he reads the metal-observer.com (only place I've seen it used). I used the term until I was around here for a while, I don't like half-thrash as a term, but hell, I want to fit in with everyone.

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:58 pm 

From droneriot's latest review

Quote:
If there isn't any more indubitable telltale sign of a person mistaking his guitar neck for his phallus, I don't know what is

Hilarious, I couldn't have said it better.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:31 pm 

failsafeman wrote:

Sounds reasonable. I certainly would've deleted the review without a second thought if it hadn't been one of only two that didn't acclaim it as a masterpiece, but if you care to donate a better one then I doubt anyone will have compunctions about deleting it.

I've finished my review, and I'm about to post it. I decided to try to write this one more in the vein of my older stuff, as opposed to the slightly stilted style I seem to have affected on some recent works. We'll see what people think.

On a side note, having reread Duthasil's review in its entirety, I think (minor proofreading problems aside) the largest problem with it is the incoherent rant at the end which Gutterscream posted. If he rewrites or eliminates it, I think the piece is fine. I've contacted him suggested he fix it. Its ultimate salvation is up to him now.

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:40 pm 

Perusing some of Napero's work again for a grin on this overcast Saturday afternoon as I look upon Heavy Load's debut with review potential in my eyes - from Master of Puppets:

"I think most of the people who say they dislike MoP were still building sandcastles or learning not to wet their beds in 1986."

"Two years later I was a handsome, long-haired thrash Hercules with a beutifully matured and muscularly symmetric body, and MoP had played an important part in the incredible transformation from a tapeworm-colored 70-pound nerd into the beautiful (and largely fictional) mosh-Jesus."

"The song was Master of Puppets itself, and it was an exhilarating, confusing sonic blast. The bus driver, probably something like thirty or forty years old, and as far from a metalhead as anyone without a walker can be, had the radio on, and there it was, in the middle of the easy-listen radio show, a ruthless piece of thrash."

"We would all be listening to elevator muzak pan flute synth versions of The Beatles if it weren't for them. Yup, Alphaville would have claimed a two-inch space on YOUR CD shelf without Black Sabbath."

Actually, to this day I still haven't heard Alphaville, or if I have it's flown right by me.

"And those few times were witnessed by just a tiny handful of people, before the albums gradually became recognized long after Master of Puppets had sold a million copies."

I recently rejected a Kill 'em All review by someone that was one of the zillion to think the minute KEA hit the racks everyone was running around town with it, giving it to grandmothers on their birthday, and anyone with half a mullet was blasting it from their parent's car while sitting in the passenger seat, because y'know, Megaforce with its Imporant (the name of the distro company, just in case you're outta the loop) distribution were right up there with BMG and Columbia when it came to circulation.

"Try to explain something about Artillery's Fear of Tomorrow or Dark Angel's Darkness Descends to those people, and you get the same "get out of here, you untidy weirdo" look you'd give a flaming indie movie buff trying to tell you about the newest art movie with sexual minority cowboys eating quiche;"

There are tons more, but I may as well paste the entire article here.
http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=547#25436
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:01 pm 

The term 'Mosh-Jesus' might be the funniest I've come across on the site.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:02 pm 

failsafeman wrote:

I've finished my review, and I'm about to post it. I decided to try to write this one more in the vein of my older stuff, as opposed to the slightly stilted style I seem to have affected on some recent works. We'll see what people think.

On a side note, having reread Duthasil's review in its entirety, I think (minor proofreading problems aside) the largest problem with it is the incoherent rant at the end which Gutterscream posted. If he rewrites or eliminates it, I think the piece is fine. I've contacted him suggested he fix it. Its ultimate salvation is up to him now.

Your review was pretty good, though I'd probably like it more if I agreed with it completely. Some points struck home, but I'm not sure the opening paragraph was explored sufficiently to merit inclusion; then again, I'm much more of a straight man when it comes to reviews, so you needn't pay attention. As for the overall prognosis, I'd probably give BBB an 86% or so, as I agree with some of your qualms but don't believe they're as dire as you make them out to be. Of course, I'm not really a serious thrash fan, so again my opinion here isn't to be taken without a grain of salt. Anyway, I think it's pretty safe to say yours is by far the best negative review for the album yet.

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:44 am 

As much as I love the album (Bonded..that is), it's a great review and very convincingly argued once again from OSS. I don't care much whether the big 4 deserve their lofty status or not but hey, that's just me. I also agree with failsafeman that while Bonded is definitely not the modicum of musical perfection, its flaws are not so serious as to take away too much from the album. If I were asked to write it from the point of view of somebody who doesn't really dig Exodus - which I am not-, I would still give an 80 because it has everything a thrash fan looks forward to. And as much I lament their second-tier status, the truth is when I whirred the album for the first time, I didn't know anything about their background and yet, it was an instant hit with me because well...that is the effect it has on most thrash fans. Perhaps ultimately unremarkable but inexplicably always memorable.

Last edited by saintinhell on Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:37 am 

The bit about Exodus versus the Big Four is more just me scratching an itch than trying to take anything away from the record. It's very trendy for historical revisionists to claim Exodus would somehow have been anointed King Thrash if they'd only shipped their album a bit earlier, which isn't the case. Regardless, people love the album, and it's a classic. I'm aware that I'm not going to change everybody's opinions. I just find the record rather boring aside from Baloff, and find myself wishing he'd had a better/crazier band backing him.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:43 am 

I found his crazy vocals annoying as hell, and I completely agree about the boring music. Which basically means I don't like Exodus very much.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:25 am 

The vocals are actually just good to me, nothing amazing, but definitely above average. The riffs are what make that album a classic to me. It seems like almost every single riff is totally amazing. The song structure is pretty formulaic, though.

Nevertheless, OSS' review was a good read.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

caspian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:58 am 

the_ghoul is a retard.

Quote:
It was made with the same mentality as the Black Album, Load/Reload, and St. Anger. That is, they write songs for the fans, not themselves. They don't use introspection to create metal that came from the depths of their soul, they just write what they think the fans will like, what will be popular

:???: Fair enough if this was post-justice, but how on earth did AJFA make any concessions to the fans?

Quote:
His gruff bark, which works for thrash, doesn't work for epics. His cleaner style sounds forced and rather thin, akin to another heavy metal giant of the period, Jon Oliva. Both are better off barking along to pugilistic heavy metal than singing along to more ballad-y music. As well, the "yeah"s and the "uh-huh"s and other cliche'd rockstar-isms Hetfield uses are annoying as hell

Does Hetfield use even ONE "yeah" in AJFA? being someone who has thrashed this album to death, I would say "No".

He gave Darkthrone's 'Transilvanian Hunger' 0%, and Sleep's Dopesmoker 25% (another review that just screams HAY GUYS I MISSED TEH POINT).. but gave yngwie a couple of really good reviews. I have a feeling this guy is setting out with the intention of annoying me as much as possible.

Emerald_Sword
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:18 pm 

I remember reading a review where the reviewer said that "the band is as tight as Scrooge McDuck during an economic crisis" or something like that. Too bad I can't remember which band the review was for.

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:08 am 

Haha I just came across this in Diarrhea_Face's review of Peste Noire's 'Folkfuck Folie'

Quote:
A stormy background ensues where from a raspy street beggar of the renaissance calls out to you with his rusty lute. He babbles for the distance of a city block, kicking stray cats and coughs a bit of his tumorous phlegm towards you through his half worn abscessed teeth and sends you off. As you make your way through the vague smoke filled province you hear his rancid cackling echoing at your footsteps. A forewarning of the hallucinogenic trance which you are about to endure, of corpses, soothsayers and the pyres of black death.

Great imagery combined with a sense of humour.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 42  Next