Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:30 am 

BastardHead wrote:
I know this is old but:

UltraBoris's Dark Angel's Time Does Not Heal review wrote:
Cool lyrics, I mean Hoglan is fucking Shakespeare. (Not literally, that's disgusting!)

That gets me every single time. :lol:

Man I fucking love that review.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:00 am 

BastardHead wrote:
WarriorsDawn wrote:
BastardHead on Ayreon - The Human Equation wrote:
Listen to Eternal Nightmare, Sean Killian is one of the worst vocalists in metal history, but who in their right mind would ever say that that isn't one of the finest thrash records of all time? Same deal with Heathen.

Slow the fuck down there. What's wrong with Heathen's vocals? :???:

Heathen is one of my favorite bands, but the vocals are atrocious. They're straying out of key all of time, which is really the only complaint I have, but it's a big one. Just try and tell me that the chorus to Hypnotize doesn't sound just.... well, bad.

I love Heathen, but I really think that if Godfrey (or White, or whatever he's going by now), would work on his voice, they could be one of my top 10, hell, even top 5 bands of all time.

Keep in mind I haven't heard the 2005 demo yet, so for all I know time hath sweetened him.

well I'd have to say Eternal Nightmare is one of the worst thrash records I've heard and Sean Killan sounds like Old Man Steptoe...so there we go

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:04 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
WarriorsDawn wrote:
Listen to Eternal Nightmare, Sean Killian is one of the worst vocalists in metal history, but who in their right mind would ever say that that isn't one of the finest thrash records of all time? Same deal with Heathen.

Heathen is one of my favorite bands, but the vocals are atrocious. They're straying out of key all of time, which is really the only complaint I have, but it's a big one. Just try and tell me that the chorus to Hypnotize doesn't sound just.... well, bad.

I love Heathen, but I really think that if Godfrey (or White, or whatever he's going by now), would work on his voice, they could be one of my top 10, hell, even top 5 bands of all time.

Keep in mind I haven't heard the 2005 demo yet, so for all I know time hath sweetened him.

well I'd have to say Eternal Nightmare is one of the worst thrash records I've heard and Sean Killan sounds like Old Man Steptoe...so there we go

:nono:

DrSharK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:09 am 

The number of great thrash vocalists is basically less than 1 percent. Seriously. Most thrash vocalists suck balls. But you know what? It doesn't matter, thrash is not about the vocals anways ;).

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:49 am 

Does anyone remember that really creepy review in which the reviewer said something along the lines of "Don't you sometimes want to fuck a dead baby in it's tight, rotting vagina even though you know you shouldn't, but you do it anyway? I know I do. That's what this album is like." It was highly unorthodox and probably would have got him instantly sent to a mental institute or a police interrogation room had it been published in a newspaper. I don't remember the reviewer, album, or band, unfortunately.

(it might not have been about necropedophilic rape, but something equally nauseating)

WarriorsDawn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:40 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
WarriorsDawn wrote:

Well, you also have no soul, so who the hell cares what you think? :P

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:43 am 

The joke's on you then, having no soul = metal.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:28 pm 

Haha, new "Sin after Sin" review:

"Now for the good. ‘Diamonds and Rust’ which is a Joan Baez cover (I believe she’s the new singer in Nightwish)"

Yeah, back in 1977, sure.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:14 pm 

Some Gutterscream randoms, since he hasn't been quoted in a while and I got a hankering to take a lap around some of his works that I never read.

From Devastation's Violent Termination:
http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=13228#29772

"Sure, there were plenty of mid/late eighties thrash acts that couldn't find an original idea even if they were giving Salvadore Dali a piggy-back ride, but at least some of them could perform with more enthusiasm than going through a car wash."

From Mephisto's Mephisto
http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=8639#29772

"Unlike many vocalists of the sauerkraut persuasion that had gargled thumbtacks even just a little, Uwe Suerick is as scrubbed sounding as 99% of the pre-'83 groups, cleaner than a hospital floor and brightly pitched like the morning sun in your eyes."

From Iron Grey's Metal Race:
http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=53382#29772

"Not bad for a nameless band whose handle never bothered to grow as much as a weed from metal's eternal swamp even after twenty years."

From Ruffians - Ruffians
http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=5337#29772

"With a low-gloss, non-severe name that sounds more late '70s punk than metal, Ruffians take the straightaway, mid-'80s traditional path that was already a littering ground for so many bands since metal got its engine installed. A couple of borderline speed bands zip by in the fast lane, usually with less skill, diversity, and even taste. In the slow lane Great White and Pantera are passed regularly, sometimes to the wails of horns. The center lane is where you'll find Ruffians. Ahead of them in timing but with very similar modifications are Queensryche (from their ep to somewhere between The Warning and Rage for Order), Helstar, a slightly less weighted Fates Warning, and the unknown Villain, a band Carl Albert would be fronting in about a year."

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:45 pm 

CannibalCorpse wrote:
Haha, new "Sin after Sin" review:

"Now for the good. ‘Diamonds and Rust’ which is a Joan Baez cover (I believe she’s the new singer in Nightwish)"

Yeah, back in 1977, sure.

You are aware of the joke right?

DrOctavia
Do Dark Horses Dream of Nightmares?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:18 am 

ABHORRED wrote:
In closing, do NOT buy this album unless:
A) You're trying to expand your already impressive collection of 3 Nile CDs with something more "obscure".
B) You have dreadlocks and are named Chris Barnes.
C) You don't have a clue who "Oppressor" were.
D) You live in a trailer in Alabama
E) You have someone in your family whom you refer to as "Uncle Dad"
F) You drive a 1986 IROC Camaro

If you fit none of those descriptions, you probably have decent taste in Death Metal, so stay the fuck away from this hunk of processed third rate horse shit.

In the heat and the rain, with the whips and chains
To see him fly, so many die
We built a tower of stone, with our flesh and bone
Just to see him fly, but we don't know why
Now where do we go?

DrOctavia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:04 pm 

It's probably already been mentioned, but I love this line:

UltraBoris wrote:
The riffs ate my homework.

Nice and snappy, and an excuse I'd love to try out sometime.

Now where do we go?

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:25 pm 

I also read that in Gabometal's review of Eternal Devastation by Destruction... That was actually the title of the review.

DrOctavia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:25 am 

Bah, Boris had it put to paper (or rather, bytes) by 2003. But it's a good line, nonetheless.

Now where do we go?

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:24 pm 

From bndgkmf's debut review on Metallica's And Justice For All -

You can't hear the bass? Having seen Metallica live about 3 times I can honestly say you don't want to hear the bass. It's not like Jason Newsted was Jaco Pastorius. Hell, he wasn't even Kip Winger.

That leaves us with Frayed Ends of Sanity. I don't know what to make of this song. It's somewhat fast. It's kinda got a proggy riff. It's got the coolest Wizard of Oz opening in heavy metal.
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:54 pm 

Some from OSS -

Sacred Steel's Wargods of Metal

And you have not laughed until you've heard this douchecunt say the word 'mehtul'. He really says it like that. While warbling. And holding high notes. And presumably waxing his sword. And then it gets even better on the last track, "Heavy Metal to the End", which 'boasts' possibly the worst chorus in metal history. In this masterwork, Mutz is joined by a gang of equally inept and FUCKING GERMAN backing vocalists to further enforce his incredibly silly voice. And since they're singing in a lower register he sounds like more of a whimpy punk than he usually does... and then he tries to go up an octave. Oh dear me. He's high pitched, but not like Kiske or Halford; more like a guy who's been kicked in the balls, or a clown just as the helium is starting to wear off.

Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force

Rising Force is the only metal album I’ve ever fallen asleep listening to… in the middle of the afternoon.

Dokken's Tooth and Nail

That’s really the biggest problem here (other than tracks like “Into the Fire” and “Just Got Lucky” which, uh, suck), said problem being that you can crook a finger at any song here and go ‘Yep, that’s stereotype #342251’, and worse, come up with examples that are way better from other bands.

Sabbath's The Sabbath Collection

Any compilation of only seven tracks that features "The Writ", "Supernaut", "Sabbra Cadabra", and "St. Vitus Dance" is a winner and a half, but I don't need to spell out that this is seven f'n tracks. I don't what to call this, a song sampler, a practical joke? Where did they expect this to find an audience? Greenland?

Sabbath's Iron Man

Oh, and dear lord, "LAGUNA SUNSHINE" AGAIN!?

At the Gates's Slaughter of the Soul

With the exception of the two instrumentals, each song seems calculated to get the pit moshing hard but smooth, the band wisely scraping away the more complex elements of thrash and glaring with a laser-eyed focus on the straight-forward ‘bang thy head’ riffery with an occasional Carcassian swinging hook to mix things up, dangling like a booger before the band sneezes out a compact flurry of riffage to segue back into the main thrust of the song.

And from Damnation's Aggressive Repulsive Symphony

Here's a blue-print of the typical song from this album: Start with a noisy piece of feedback-heavy guitar and wank on it about 10 seconds (which in some cases is over a tenth of the song), have your vocalist yell something unintelligible, and then launch into a fast three or fewer chord riff with accompanying random bashing away on the drums. The singer then oscillates between two distinct noises (ex. 'urr arr urr arr urr arr') over the beat, and then occasionally switches to "blahblahblahblahblahRRRRRAAAAAAAAARRRRR!" underneath which the band will simulate the sound of a drumkit exploding. Depending on the length of the song the band may unleash a deadly high-pitched squealing guitar lead that is shamelessly cribbed from the Kerry King playbook (but a bit shreddier, oddly). This is, to a tee, how the mainstream parodies underground metal and hardcore.

:)

[oops, forgot the links...damn]

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:36 pm 

Gutterscream wrote:
It's got the coolest Wizard of Oz opening in heavy metal.

Genius.

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:24 am 

A chuckle from Litany21's latest Vader review -

Ahh Vader...The most successful Polish metal band to ever come from the Iron Curtain. Known for their relentless riff attacks, unbelievable solos which Hell itself would run from and backed by a drum kit that makes a tank rust on sight, Vader comes at you with no stop in sight. Seeing Vader live just proves that.

DrOctavia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:13 pm 

TheScourge wrote:
The only reason it's only a 98% is because it's a compact disc, and everyone knows how lame that is.

Now where do we go?

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:53 am 

From Ozzeh's latest Vital Remains review -

The songs are as energetic as my miniature schnauzer's puppy assault upon my roomate's English bulldog pup: never-ending, brutal and full of discontent.

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:10 am 

To further glorify Abominatrix's written works -

Witchtrap (Col)'s No Anesthesia

The song fades out with the repeated shout of "metal army march", and provides an effect like a bunch of dangerous goons with boots and braces a-gleam inexplicably coalesced into formation (they're obviously possessed!) and striding purposefully off into the sunset to conquer yet another unwary settlement with their metal fortitude.

If I cut n' pasted everything I like from his Pagan Altar review, I'd have the whole piece here, so tackle it at its origin: http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=3133

Esoteric (UK)'s The Pernicious Enigma

There are times on this album when Esoteric does actually sound like a metal band, of a particularly downtrodden and abysmal nature, with an ungodly guitar sound of bone shaking proportions and drums that resound about each time you take a shuddering breath of fetid air through your constricted lungs, the very fibers of which this oppressive soundscape of horror threatens to pulverize and crush.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:25 am 

ANationalAcrobat's review or British Steel wrote:
Even Dave "I molest disabled children but my moustache is still creepiest thing about me" Holland gives a good performance on drums.

I actually laughed out loud.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:42 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Even Dave "I molest disabled children but my moustache is still creepiest thing about me" Holland gives a good performance on drums.

Doubly funny when you think about how unbelievably dull the drums are on that record.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:47 am 

BastardHead wrote:

ha thanks, I did enjoy writing that piece...and Dave Holland scares the shit out of me.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:53 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=32418#78030

HAHAHAHAHAHA

If that title isn't meant to be a joke, that's the best slip o' the tongue I've seen in years.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:55 am 

OlympicSharpshooter wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHA

If that title isn't meant to be a joke, that's the best slip o' the tongue I've seen in years.

:lol: I was going to say the same thing.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:29 pm 

BastardHead for Necrophagist's Epitaph.

Quote:
The music slows down while the solo gets started, sounding strangely consonant to the otherwise chaotic music leading up to it, but the music in the background inevitable speeds up (usually playing a preestablished riff) and then Muhammed starts sweeping like a mildly retarded janitor.

It helps that he's dead on about the record to boot. Rarely have I seen an album draw as much bullshit crit as this one.

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:54 am 

Having finally heard Manowar's Gods of War I now find the title of Mutalitia's review hilarious.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:57 am 

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm an idiot, I dun get it. :scratch:

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:56 am 

The_Boss wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHA

He's trying to find a new way to say the cliche 'off the beaten path'. Unfortunately, it now sounds like he is masturbating the path itself.

"Beating off - the path"

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:42 pm 

I think it looks more like a malaproprism than anything else, but not being a native English speaker I'm not too sure.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:02 pm 

Peregrin wrote:
I think it looks more like a malaproprism than anything else, but not being a native English speaker I'm not too sure.

Well, none of the words in themselves are wrong (i.e. 'beating a path' is grammatically correct), and nothing in the body of the review indicates that it was meant to be a joke.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:23 pm 

Peregrin wrote:

The only problem with this review is that its audience, and I am no exception, have dirty minds.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:39 pm 

The_Boss wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHA

He's trying to find a new way to say the cliche 'off the beaten path'. Unfortunately, it now sounds like he is masturbating the path itself.

"Beating off - the path"

Aye ok, I figured it had something to do with 'beating off' and a double meaning or something :lol:

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:13 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Peregrin wrote:

The only problem with this review is that its audience, and I am no exception, have dirty minds.

Better that than be uptight prudes. :)

The_Saberfool
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:49 pm 

Axman wrote:
Leprosy, the follow-up to the eponymous Scream Bloody Gore.

Wait... Scream Bloody Gore is Death's self-titled?? Somebody is using a word they don't understand. :lol:
Also, that's... not a sentence.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:56 pm 

The_Saberfool wrote:
Axman wrote:
Leprosy, the follow-up to the eponymous Scream Bloody Gore.

Wait... Scream Bloody Gore is Death's self-titled?? Somebody is using a word they don't understand. :lol:
Also, that's... not a sentence.

Haha, that's a pretty shitty review on the whole. I just reviewed this last night... I'm kind of surprised that I managed to miss that gem when I was looking over the current reviews.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:12 pm 

I have never posted in here, but I thought this was something:
Razakel on Bring Me The Horizon - Count Your Blessings wrote:
I’m confused how people can actually listen to what I consider pure dog shit.

How about different musical tastes, dipshit?

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:12 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
I have never posted in here, but I thought this was something:
Razakel on Bring Me The Horizon - Count Your Blessings wrote:
I’m confused how people can actually listen to what I consider pure dog shit.

How about different musical tastes, dipshit?

Are you kidding me, you actually take that literally? I'm sure he knows that people have differing musical tastes, I don't think you can survive past the age of five or so without stumbling across that fact. It's goddamn hyperbole.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:32 pm 

It is worded pretty badly, though.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 42  Next