Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:23 pm 

What even is this thread anymore? We're gonna heap effusive praise onto a guy who almost exclusively reviews shit that has been reviewed to death and says proudly ignorant shit like:

TrooperEd wrote:
you'd have to go before a committee before getting Persecution Mania or Pleasure To Kill as pure death metal. I wouldn't be opposed to it, but then again I think there's no such thing as viking metal and Hammerheart and Twilight of the Gods are doom metal so what would I know?

And then right afterwards we're gonna have somebody talk shit on Reign in Blood because it's "overrated" (which isn't a criticism in any way), take a potshot at the moderation staff because he woefully misunderstands the "no track by track" rule, and lists mediocre 3rd-tier garbage like Viking, Xentrix, Atrophy, and motherfucking Cyclone Temple as superior examples of thrash albums?

Every last one of you is banned. I'm shutting it down. Reviews were a mistake.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:51 pm 

ThrashFanatic wrote:
I do have an original thought to spare, and I'm gonna think out loud right now...

1) I have "Thrash" in my name because I wanted to, so what?

Almost every single reviewer with the word "thrash" in their name is an obnoxious ignoramus, and you're proving to be no better.

Quote:
2) It's overrated because people overrate that album like hell. It's decent, but to be honest it never has any moments that make me gaze in amazement. You want to know why it's overrated? Well there's a fuck ton of BETTER albums out there, those of which you probably haven't heard of. Here are just some examples of thrash albums that are way better than "Reign In Blood"...

So, one of the most important stepping stones in the history of thrash as well as extreme metal in general is overrated? How? How can you be overrated when you're that important and influential? Other albums might be faster, or heavier, or have more riffs, but almost none of them are as crucial as RiB.

Quote:
Spoiler: show
Toxik - World Circus
Toxik - Think This
Znowhite - Act of God
Trizna - Out Of Step
Cyclone Temple - I Hate Therefore I Am
Аспид - Кровоизлияние
Железный Поток - Знамение
Клиника - Лотерейный билет
Exumer - Possessed By Fire
Blind Illusion - The Sane Asylum
Heathen - Victims Of Deception
Deathrow - Deception Ignored
Atrophy - Socialized Hate
Target - Master Project Genesis
Defiance - Product Of Society
Defiance - Beyond Recognition
Acid Storm - Biotronic Genesis
Mandator - Perfect Progeny
Wargasm - Why Play Around?
Indestructible Noise Command - Razorback
Watchtower - Control And Resistance
Shah - Beware
Xentrix - Shattered Existence
Xentrix - For Whose Advantage?
Pyracanda - Two Sides Of A Coin
Paradox - Heresy
Laaz Rockit - Know Your Enemy
Visitor - Visitor
Grinder - Dawn For The Living
Intruder - A Higher Form of Killing
Viking - Man Of Straw
Apocalypse - Apocalypse
Mordred - Fool's Game
Meliah Rage - Kill To Survive
Gammacide - Victims of Science
Demolition Hammer - Epidemic Of Violence
Helstar - Nosferatu
Devastation - Idolatry
Hirax - Raging Violence
Mercenary - Demo 86' (I'll include a demo on this list, because I feel like it)
Evil Sinner - Evil Sinner
Aggression - The Full Treatment
Disciples Of Power - Powertrap
Coven 6669 - Blessed Is The Black
Acrophet - Corrupt Minds
Quick Change - Circus Of Death
Hexen - State Of Insurgency
Gama Bomb - Survival Of The Fastest (This one is a popular newer one, but I'll include it)
Morbid Saint - Spectrum Of Death
Mortal Sin - Mayhemic Destruction
Artillery - By Inheritance
Meanstreak - Roadkill (This a an ALL FEMALE THRASH band! A female thrash band does better than "Reign In Blood")
Coroner - R.I.P.
Voivod - Killing Technology (Popular, but good Prog Thrash)
Vio-lence - Eternal Nightmare (Popular, but good)
Entropy - Ashen Existence
Rigor Mortis - Rigor Mortis
Powermad - Absolute Power
Vektor - Terminal Redux (Completely DESTROYS "Reign In Blood")
Attomica - Attomica
Hexenhaus - The Edge of Eternity
Sacrilege - Within The Prophecy
Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity (Screw "Power From Hell" and "The Force", THIS ALBUM IS WHERE IT'S AT!)
Sacrifice - Soldiers Of Misfortune
Assassin - The Upcoming Terror
Vendetta - Brain Damage
Exhorder - Slaughter In The Vatican
Crownear - Full Moon Fever
Violent Force - Malevolent Assault Of Tomorrow
Sieges Even - Lifecycle
Anvil Bitch - Rise To Offend
Obliveon - From This Day Forward
Dementia - Recuperate From Reality
Indestroy - Indestroy
Agony - The First Defiance
Donor - Triangle Of The Lost

What, you think some Wikipedia list of underground thrash albums proves anything? And yes, I have listened to more than my fair share of those. Thrash metal is what fully got me into this music in the first place, so you're in no position to school me. And yes, I do prefer a few of those over Reign in Blood (particularly the first two Toxik albums). That still doesn't mean in any way, shape or form that it's overrated or that your review is anything but a bunch of hollow, regurgitated malarkey.
Quote:
I think I've made my point...

You've proven nothing. As far as I'm concerned, you're no different from a child kicking and screaming on the floor because someone refused to indulge them.

Quote:
3) I only made mention of "Angel Of Death", "Jesus Saves", "Postmortem" and "Raining Blood" because the reviewer moderators on this site are too damn strict on how many damn songs you can mention in a review, so I only mentioned those 4. If you don't like to fact that I only mentioned 4 songs, then go read some other review mentioning those precious little tunes you wanted to hear. I only focused on what stood out for that review in particular.

You don't get to hide behind the rules of the site to justify your unoriginality. Everyone talks about the opener and closer of the album. It's been done to death. You aren't bringing anything different or interesting to the table, which for an album as scrutinized as Reign in Blood, you should if you want your review to be worth anything.

Quote:
So next time, don't be a dick and talk behind my back like that. Go ahead and listen to those albums I listed. You have a lot of catching up to do if you think "Reign In Blood" is the "be all, end all" of thrash metal. Records like "Epidemic of Violence" and "Spectrum of Death" fucking make "Reign In Blood" sound like a preschool rhyme time sing-along!

This is an open forum, you Neanderthal. It's not talking behind your back if you can actually see me calling you out.

I don't have any catching up to do whatsoever, considering you of all people are telling me that. Your review is an empty, stinking intellectual carcass that contributes nothing to this site. You lack a fundamental understanding of historical importance and context, and until you fix that, you have no place reviewing milestones of the genre. This is a fact. Deal with it.

EDIT: I remember you now. You're the "don't like my reviews, don't read them" guy. Clearly, you haven't improved a single bit since the last time you popped in here. Quite the contrary, in fact.

ThrashFanatic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:46 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
What even is this thread anymore? We're gonna heap effusive praise onto a guy who almost exclusively reviews shit that has been reviewed to death and says proudly ignorant shit like:

TrooperEd wrote:
you'd have to go before a committee before getting Persecution Mania or Pleasure To Kill as pure death metal. I wouldn't be opposed to it, but then again I think there's no such thing as viking metal and Hammerheart and Twilight of the Gods are doom metal so what would I know?

And then right afterwards we're gonna have somebody talk shit on Reign in Blood because it's "overrated" (which isn't a criticism in any way), take a potshot at the moderation staff because he woefully misunderstands the "no track by track" rule, and lists mediocre 3rd-tier garbage like Viking, Xentrix, Atrophy, and motherfucking Cyclone Temple as superior examples of thrash albums?

Every last one of you is banned. I'm shutting it down. Reviews were a mistake.

Well Viking, Xentrix, Atrophy and Cyclone Temple have way more interesting albums than Slayer's redundant bullshit they've been releasing. In fact, I'm glad Slayer are calling it quits, they should of done that when Jeff passed because Jeff WAS and IS Slayer PERIOD. For Slayer to keep using the name and for Kerry King to keep the band going is a disgrace because Jeff was the backbone of Slayer. Gary Holt fits perfectly in his place, but Jeff simply can't be replaced. In fact, Reign in Blood is a massive bore and I was being generous when I gave it a 88%, I would of gave it a 73% otherwise. My next reviews will be track by track, I dont give a flying rat's fuck what people say. "3rd-tier" thrash is way better than the overrated shit by Slayer, Kreator, Destruction, Exodus (anything after Baloff left is crap), and Anthrax. Metallica are the best thrash metal band in the world. Hahahaha, I bet you all are now going to call me a "poser" or a "false metalhead". I never identified as a metalhead anyway.

What type of fucking reviews do you want anyway? UltraBoris reviews???

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:51 pm 

Man if I was playing Generic Thrash Kid bingo that post would've blacked out the entire card, holy shit.

REMINDER Jeff was the best thing about Slayer until about 1990 and it's really easy to forget that Diabolus was almost entirely his creation and all the worst songs from that point on were his (whereas all the "merely" boring ones were Kerry). Kerry is a massive knob but between Tom's obvious disinterest and Jeff forgetting how to write a good song 20 years before he died, he was absolutely the heart and backbone of Slayer for decades.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

ThrashFanatic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:53 pm 

Quote:
So next time, don't be a dick and talk behind my back like that. Go ahead and listen to those albums I listed. You have a lot of catching up to do if you think "Reign In Blood" is the "be all, end all" of thrash metal. Records like "Epidemic of Violence" and "Spectrum of Death" fucking make "Reign In Blood" sound like a preschool rhyme time sing-along!

This is an open forum, you Neanderthal. It's not talking behind your back if you can actually see me calling you out.

I don't have any catching up to do whatsoever, considering you of all people are telling me that. Your review is an empty, stinking intellectual carcass that contributes nothing to this site. You lack a fundamental understanding of historical importance and context, and until you fix that, you have no place reviewing milestones of the genre. This is a fact. Deal with it.

EDIT: I remember you now. You're the "don't like my reviews, don't read them" guy. Clearly, you haven't improved a single bit since the last time you popped in here. Quite the contrary, in fact.[/quote]

LOL, you must be fun at parties.

ThrashFanatic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:57 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Man if I was playing Generic Thrash Kid bingo that post would've blacked out the entire card, holy shit.

REMINDER Jeff was the best thing about Slayer until about 1990 and it's really easy to forget that Diabolus was almost entirely his creation and all the worst songs from that point on were his (whereas all the "merely" boring ones were Kerry). Kerry is a massive knob but between Tom's obvious disinterest and Jeff forgetting how to write a good song 20 years before he died, he was absolutely the heart and backbone of Slayer for decades.

To be honest, who gives a shit about Slayer anymore? I know I don't, because I got much more interesting underrated bands to listen to. Funny thing is the guitarists for the underrated bands are more interesting to listen to. Hell, the guitarist for Viking went on to play on Dark Angel's "Time Does Not Heal", that goes to show just how talented he is. Brett Erikson is his name. Also, Atrophy are incredible, and their guitarist Chris Lykins can shred better than Kerry King could in his entire life.

But seriously, no thrash guitar beats Josh Christian, he is a legend.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:22 am 

ThrashFanatic wrote:
LOL, you must be fun at parties.

I noticed you haven't responded to a single one of my previous arguments. I shall thus take this as a gracious concession of defeat on your part.

Also, have fun having each and every single one of your worthless track by track reviews rejected. I'm sure that'll do wonders to improve your writing.

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:07 am 

Guys, regarding all your nonsense posted above, isn't it still the official position of Metal Archives that you can review what you like as long as it fits the quality standards of the site? So if someone's review has been accepted and looks legit, don't go giving them shit on a public forum like this. You're just looking for problems and it's not going to make the next review better by doing things that way.

As for the Reign in Blood review itself, the problem with it is that it doesn't cover any new ground that hasn't been clearly discussed in the 34 reviews below it. When reviewing a classic album with loads of reviews, it's a good idea to read several of them first, summarize the points that you agree with (or disagree with) and then add something new. Even just reading the titles of the reviews would tell you that several people have already said the same things.

Basically, be helpful. Both for writing stuff and commenting on other people's work. Remember Rule 1 of life: "Don't be a dick."

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:23 am 

Just because a review was deemed acceptable it doesn’t mean people can’t discuss it. That’s exactly what this sub forum was intended for. And if anyone’s ‘looking for problems’ it’s the person with thrash in their name calling Reign in Blood overrated on heavy metal review site.

untappd: patrick_g

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:31 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Guys, regarding all your nonsense posted above, isn't it still the official position of Metal Archives that you can review what you like as long as it fits the quality standards of the site? So if someone's review has been accepted and looks legit, don't go giving them shit on a public forum like this. You're just looking for problems and it's not going to make the next review better by doing things that way.

I have to differ with you here; the fact that a review was accepted is no measure of quality. It just means that the review in question meets the minimal criteria for acceptance, which are A) that it be legible and B) that it mainly describes the music. In other words, just because a dish is edible and won't poison you doesn't necessarily exclude it from tasting like shit.

Also, this is the review discussion thread. We discuss reviews. Sadly, this includes the shitty ones.
Quote:
As for the Reign in Blood review itself, the problem with it is that it doesn't cover any new ground that hasn't been clearly discussed in the 34 reviews below it. When reviewing a classic album with loads of reviews, it's a good idea to read several of them first, summarize the points that you agree with (or disagree with) and then add something new. Even just reading the titles of the reviews would tell you that several people have already said the same things.

Those were my exact complaints. That RiB review is a redundant piece of nothing that doesn't contribute anything meaningful. It's just the latest in a long line of "so above it all" rags written by edgy teenagers who think they know thrash because they heard Morbid Saint once or twice.
Quote:
Basically, be helpful. Both for writing stuff and commenting on other people's work. Remember Rule 1 of life: "Don't be a dick."

It'd be much easier to be patient with people who don't go out of their way to make fools of themselves.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:06 am 

ThrashFanatic wrote:
To be honest, who gives a shit about Slayer anymore? I know I don't, because I got much more interesting underrated bands to listen to.

:roll: A million chameleons, and so forth.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:17 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
I have to differ with you here; the fact that a review was accepted is no measure of quality. It just means that the review in question meets the minimal criteria for acceptance, which are A) that it be legible and B) that it mainly describes the music. In other words, just because a dish is edible and won't poison you doesn't necessarily exclude it from tasting like shit.

I agree that this forum is a place to discuss the kind of review in question, but there's a right way and a wrong way to criticize someone's work. People tend to respond much better to criticism when it's given without feelings of hostility. I understand the frustration in the first message and I know the response was too much of a jump even from that, but subsequent posts just escalated the argument and didn't tell the guy what he should do to get better.

It's not a great atmosphere, that's all.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:35 am 

I actually realized after the fact that I did give much more thorough and patient feedback to this guy in the past. Clearly, he did not listen. In fact, he did all the opposite.

Maybe I reacted rashly (which I'm not proud of, as I'm trying to rein that in), but everything else I have said so far stands. He has a lot to work on if he wants to be an even remotely competent reviewer, starting with his attitude.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:32 am 

I mean, this entire thread was a giant pot of morning "my workday has been slow so far" entertainment. I can't wait for this dude to pump out more awful reviews!

EDIT: For someone who "doesn't give a shit about Slayer", he sure gave them a lot of praise in his other two reviews.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:22 am 

BastardHead wrote:

TrooperEd wrote:

So.....you DO think Persecution Mania and Pleasure To Kill are unquestionably death metal and not thrash? I mean Noctir, who I have great respect for more or less thinks the same thing, so I'm not gonna say you're wrong. But I'm just confused to find out what's "proudly ignorant" about the quote. If it's the Bathory bit, I figured I put enough of a "it's just my opinion" buffer at the end of that to cancel it out.

ThrashFanatic wrote:
3) I only made mention of "Angel Of Death", "Jesus Saves", "Postmortem" and "Raining Blood" because the reviewer moderators on this site are too damn strict on how many damn songs you can mention in a review, so I only mentioned those 4. If you don't like to fact that I only mentioned 4 songs, then go read some other review mentioning those precious little tunes you wanted to hear. I only focused on what stood out for that review in particular.

I will say this is something I struggle with as well. But dude, you need to learn to handle criticism better. Somebody pointed out some flaws with my Dissection review, so I marinated in them for a while and I decided they were right for some of them and I altered my review. (Might have been xlxlx actually).
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:05 am 

Plus, there isn't really a limit to how many songs you can mention, I sometimes mention every track. It just can't be like a "this song is ____" next line, "this song is ____" next line, etc. If every song is mentioned in a way that's still just backing up the overall description, then it's fine. Especially ones with less tracks. My Deep Purple Fireball review mentions every track.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:29 am 

People need to stop being so damned defensive of their opinions in general.

homedweller
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:32 am 

Sweetleaf's review for Quiet Riot was a little heavy-handed with laying down the law, but I'm glad Rhandy Rhoads-QR is getting more attention and liked the review a lot. Nevertheless I understand the general ignorance about those albums a little: the newer members of Quiet Riot and DuBrow considered it a sort of separate band, which is why they ignored those albums in counting, as in QR III and Quiet Riot 10.

Cheers,
homedweller

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:01 pm 

TrooperEd wrote:
So.....you DO think Persecution Mania and Pleasure To Kill are unquestionably death metal and not thrash? I mean Noctir, who I have great respect for more or less thinks the same thing, so I'm not gonna say you're wrong. But I'm just confused to find out what's "proudly ignorant" about the quote. If it's the Bathory bit, I figured I put enough of a "it's just my opinion" buffer at the end of that to cancel it out.

Just the opposite actually, I think they're very obviously thrash, just of a more brutal variety. Thrash didn't really start turning into death metal until later and even then Sodom and Kreator aren't the bands I look at when it comes to that transition. Highly influential no doubt, but they weren't the bands that actually made that jump. They led to it, they laid the foundation, but they were never really there themselves.

But yes I am mostly referring to the Bathory bit because holy crap come on man. Viking metal as a term does tend to get used a bit too loosely by newbies and doofuses (in no universe do Ensiferum and Amon Amarth sound similar) simply because they get hung up on the lyrical themes, but something like Hammerheart and especially Twilight of the Gods are the most obvious quintessential codifiers of the actual sound of viking metal. Calling those albums "doom" is just baffling to me. It only makes sense if... well, if for some reason you think viking metal doesn't exist I guess. Which is factually incorrect, so yeah.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:14 pm 

I usually use "pagan black metal" instead of "viking metal" as the term for that era of Bathory and the bands that take influence from them like early Enslaved, Graveland, Nokturnal Mortum and the like anyway (along with being more ideologically accurate for the non-Scandinavian bands). Doom metal suggests a specific slow, hard hitting, crunchy riffing style which Bathory never had.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:17 pm 

There is a huge difference between Pagan Black and Viking tbh. At least in my brain.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:24 pm 

Probably the first so-called viking metal album I ever heard was Nordland I, and while I was listening all I could think was, "This sounds like doom metal." No comment on the other albums in this discussion though.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:39 pm 

I don't use any of those terms because at that point it's breaking down the genre's way too much to the point that it's ridiculous.

Also, that review for QR is almost three years old, but thanks!

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:56 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Probably the first so-called viking metal album I ever heard was Nordland I, and while I was listening all I could think was, "This sounds like doom metal." No comment on the other albums in this discussion though.

I respect your studies in alchemy, but I would actually consider the Nordland albums just plain old heavy metal.

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
I don't use any of those terms because at that point it's breaking down the genre's way too much to the point that it's ridiculous.

This is the reason why I don't recognize viking metal as a sub-genre. Thank you sir.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:06 pm 

Only with heavy metal can somebody claim to be a lifelong enthusiast while simultaneously showing open contempt at the very idea of understanding the minutiae of the extremely complex form of art that they claim to love. Have fun being humanoid VH1 segments I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:31 pm 

Well, I do understand the minutiae of the genres I love, that being heavy, thrash, glam, doom, and death (well, limited with this one). Never did I state that I love ALL types of metal, so I do still consider myself an enthusiast of the genre I love. I don't love "viking" metal (or black metal for that matter), so I sure as shit will decide to not dive that deep into genres to the point that every band has a different label.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:43 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Only with heavy metal can somebody claim to be a lifelong enthusiast while simultaneously showing open contempt at the very idea of understanding the minutiae of the extremely complex form of art that they claim to love. Have fun being humanoid VH1 segments I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Basically this. It's one thing to not know/understand something and recognize it, but to willfully, proudly misunderstand the subtleties of the music we all supposedly love and cherish is baffling.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:44 pm 

"Ignore the labels placed on music that I enjoy, and I'll be baffled by you."

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:51 pm 

The thing is that it goes beyond labels. It's no different from saying that power metal = traditional heavy metal; it's a fundamentally erroneous reduction that ignores actual musical distinctions, and to insist upon it would be misguided at best and thickheaded at worst.

Let's take the "Twilight of the Gods is doom" thing; what, exactly, does it have in common with Black Sabbath, beyond the obvious fact of being metal? Or Saint Vitus? Or Candlemass, beside the nebulous "epic" descriptor? It makes very little sense when you spend so much as a few moments thinking about it.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:01 pm 

BastardHead wrote:

I just don't think every single subtlety and minutiae deserves it's own subgenre.

I'll admit I was shitposting with Twilight of the Gods (and even Hammerheart to a lesser extent), but those do have a LOT in common with Manowar.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:03 pm 

I don't even listen to Twilight Of The Gods, so I can't really give much of a response there. But what we're saying is that, while yes, there are differences, it doesn't necessarily need its own category. I've honestly always hated too much categorization anyway. Labels are what make people turn away from something before even giving it a fair try. Example "Oh Dokken is glam? Well then they're probably shit". And in response to the power metal thing, it honestly isn't THAT different. There's enough of a difference to where I can clearly tell that it's got a different ring to it, but if it never got its own label, I wouldn't care.

For that matter, take Mercyful Fate and Rainbow. Both are classified just as "metal", but sound absolutely NOTHING alike, yet people don't need two different categories to be able to tell them apart.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:07 pm 

Well, some would refer to Mercyful Fate as "black metal."

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:11 pm 

I certainly don't. If that's black metal then so is Ghost, and something tells me that that would trigger a LOT of people.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:57 am 

"Is this good music? Yes, to a certain degree"
-17% review of Square Hammer

Alrighty then.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:05 am 

My thoughts exactly. That review also had some horrendous grammar errors, and not to mention, "it doesn't belong in the archives".... I don't think they realize that non-metal releases will be in here if the band has had metal releases before.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:28 am 

TrooperEd wrote:
I'll admit I was shitposting with Twilight of the Gods (and even Hammerheart to a lesser extent), but those do have a LOT in common with Manowar.

Has someone ever tried to deny this? Of course this era of Bathory has huge Manowar-isms. If you want to to see the logical conclusion of this evolution, look at Barbarian's recent output. Holy shit, it's good.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:01 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
I certainly don't. If that's black metal then so is Ghost, and something tells me that that would trigger a LOT of people.

By some people I meant "not me, and I think those that do are really silly."

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:07 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:

Yes, but only due to the fact that you're indirectly comparing Ghost to Mercyful Fate. Also, 'Satan's Fall' sounds like a weird, primordial version of black metal when you're high. Hell, it does sober, too.

Also, Bathory's Viking era does have so much in common with Manowar that it's not even odd to call it heavy metal. As for Bathory and Candlemass; there's a fair bit of common ground on, again, Twilight of the Gods. Especially if one considers Candlemass and Scald to play in the same subgenre. :P

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:11 pm 

Oh I know that they're very different too, it was more of a jab at the people who like to call Mercyful Fate black metal just because of his facepaint and the satanic lyrics. You do have a point with Satan's Fall, but that's one tiny hint at it. To me that's like saying "well the Beatles were heavy metal because there are heavy moments in Helter Skelter".

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:05 pm 

Towards the end of psychoticnikolai's Liturgy_The Artwork review, he hilariously describes the experience as:

"This is about as transcendental as trying to meditate while getting shit on by a bunch of birds, all singing a different song, some as loud and as piercing as possible."

Likely the most uproarious metaphor I've come across in a while...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 337, 338, 339, 340, 341, 342, 343 ... 525  Next