Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:25 pm 

I know this should probably account as report material but I wanted to ask something about Dark Space -I, the 2012 version. It's listed in the Archives as an EP but it's just the demo of the same name rerecorded. Shouldn't it still be qualified as a demo? On a related side note, does MA's programming allow for two different entries with the same name and designation? Let's say the 2002 and 2012 versions were both defined as "Demo", would they overlap or would they still appear as different releases?

Kind of curious about this.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:27 pm 

I can't answer your question about whether it should be listed as an EP or demo, but the website cannot "detect" that there's another release present with the same name. So having two albums with the same name and the same type, but different release dates, shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by MutantClannfear on Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:30 pm 

So they can coexist with being both classified as "Demo". Now on why they aren't...

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:33 pm 

Well one common reasoning I've heard which I like on the demo vs ep debate is the "final version" argument. Basically demos are rough teasers to show what you can do, and songs off them are often still rough around the edges, or even incomplete, while an EP or Full Length will usually feature sound and professional level of care in crafting a song, to make.a."definitive version" which the artist thinks is the final version. This fits that pretty well, rerecording a raw demo with a fuller sound, giving the material a "final" version.

Obviously there are a LOT of exceptions to this, so its not always reliable, but I think the reasoning here works.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:47 pm 

That's a reasonable train of thought, although it will always fall down into each one's interpretation due to its "50/50" nature. You know "glass half-full or half-empty" and all that. And of course that Paysage d'Hiver is an example that comes to mind, with a "full-length" discography composed of "demos". It's all very debatable I guess.

However if that's the official MA stance I can live with that explanation. :)

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:56 pm 

There isn't really an official/defined stance, but it makes sense in the context of the rest of their discography, right? It's shorter than the full-lengths, but it's not a demo as it's not a demonstration anymore, it's finished versions of the songs.

Sciera
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:16 am 

Another common difference is that demos are self-released while EPs and full-length are often released by a label, and that also is the case here.
Furthermore, the 2012 version was released on CD, as a limited digipak edition and on vinyl - that would be quite strange for a mere demo.
http://www.avantgardemusic.com/wordpress/?p=1449

If I recall it right, the official stance is that a release is what the band considers it to be. But in this case I found no information on that on the band's websites.

Reply to topic