Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:08 pm 

Okay, so I literally just discovered the tabs under discography section: COMPLETED DISCOGRAPHY / LIVES / DEMOS / MISC and I'm kind of confused why under "MAIN" that EPs are not listed with full lengths.... I mean, I can understand why singles, splits, boxed sets and compilations are all under "MISC" but EPs are (generally speaking) professional outputs by bands; a step up from demos, or transitional material between full lengths - and almost always contain NEW material not to be found elsewhere in a bands discography. I've always considered LPs and EPs to be MAIN releases by bands and part of the official discography... unless I'm a maniac and REALLY love a band, I want their main original material, and generally speaking you can find that between the EPs and LPs and ignore all other output by a band.

So, mainly I am curious as to what can be done... I can already change some settings like "show only complete line-up" under the My Profile> Settings tab, could we implement an option to include EPs under Main discog if we consider them as such, or just simply add the EPs to the Main?

thanks,
--N

Megadeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:18 am 

I rarely consider EP's as a part of the "main discography", but it depends on the bands. Some bands release completely new material on EP's which you can't find on the full-lengths, just because they didn't have enough material for a full-length. Others treat EP's more like extended singles, with maybe just a couple songs you can't find on the full-lengths. I more often come across bands where demo's are more important than EP's.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:49 pm 

^ What he said. It really depends on the band, unfortunately. Some bands's main discography would be utterly cluttered if EPs were included, whereas others are indeed missing important mini-albums. I might add another setting regarding this at some point, though I can't promise it, sorry.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:08 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
^ What he said. It really depends on the band, unfortunately. Some bands's main discography would be utterly cluttered if EPs were included, whereas others are indeed missing important mini-albums. I might add another setting regarding this at some point, though I can't promise it, sorry.

Thanks for replying Morrigan!

If it depends both on the band itself and how an individual views a band (for example, for some people, all members of a band are equally important, and you can switch on full line-ups to be viewed when visiting a page, as I mentioned in my OP) then another setting would be a nice solution for this I think, if you have the time, energy, etc to do this (and that's the rub, eh).

Reply to topic