Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:05 pm 

There are some biographies that contain a lot of information but are poorly written/formatted. They don't appear to be plagiarized. I'm not quite sure what information should be preserved in these - having the lineups written out as to who founded the band and was in the band at certain points seems to be redundant, but some of the other info is relevant. What parts of bios like these should be preserved, or should they just be removed if they're poorly written?

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Desolate/7017
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Galaxis/47844

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:43 pm 

This is something I've been wondering too. I've also come across a couple bios that were taken from Wikipedia (which was noted in the description), should I report this stuff, or leave it be?

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:15 pm 

ClaymanOnFire wrote:
This is something I've been wondering too. I've also come across a couple bios that were taken from Wikipedia (which was noted in the description), should I report this stuff, or leave it be?

Any plagiarism should be reported/removed. If another site has a comprehensive biography of a band, then it can be linked, though Wikipedia links are generally frowned upon if the information is available elsewhere.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:18 pm 

Well, there are no copyright/plagiarism issues with copying Wikipedia texts. (Technically, it must be attributed, though.) But of course blindly copy-pasting third-party walls of text without doing some research/checking (and/or maybe reasonable pruning) is frowned upon and discouraged. I for one hate seeing huge Wikipedia bios word-for-word in the additional notes.

I'll post some thoughts about your linked bios tomorrow, Zodi.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:55 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
There are some biographies that contain a lot of information but are poorly written/formatted. They don't appear to be plagiarized. I'm not quite sure what information should be preserved in these - having the lineups written out as to who founded the band and was in the band at certain points seems to be redundant, but some of the other info is relevant. What parts of bios like these should be preserved, or should they just be removed if they're poorly written?

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Desolate/7017
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Galaxis/47844

I've cleaned up both bios to what I would consider roughly acceptable. It wasn't that poorly written compared to others I've seen, but there were some redundancies, language, formatting and a few neutrality issues. You can compare the two versions in the modification history. Both bios were added by Phsphs, who is quite knowledgeable about Bulgarian metal and if you say that the texts don't appear to have been taken from anywhere else I'd say he most probably wrote/assembled them himself.

It's true that the lineup thing may appear redundant. But there's no harm in keeping it in there for, well, rounding off the text. (it also contains some additional info about founders, though) Nothing wrong with an original bio in there for those who want to read some history instead of staring at the lineup.

Reply to topic