* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:31 am 

Check this out (hit ctrl + F5 to be sure to get the refreshed CSS):

http://dev.metal-archives.com/

I've added a new page, "bands by label". But at the same time I figured I could probably tweak the left menu a bit. What do you think? Is the reports/todo stuff at the bottom a big issue? It'll take some adjusting but I think it looks better overall.

Please no "you changed it, therefore it sucks" ;) if you don't like it that's fine but do explain why­.

Thanks.

Edit: moving this to S&C, more visibility there I think.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:09 am 

A lot better this way, I think. :D But the text appears too small on Chrome, and I think the spacing between the lines could probably afford to be decreased, as it looks a bit too far apart ATM. :)

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:59 am 

It's the same font and spacing as before... :scratch: I just changed the order of some items and grouped others together.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:06 am 

Nah, I mean the spacing only on the sub-entries.

Marked it in #f00:
Spoiler: show

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:28 pm 

Hmm, well again it's the same spacing everywhere, I could squash it for the submenu only but while testing I found that it doesn't look bad when the entire menu has less spacing...

Can everyone do ctrl + F5 and tell me how it looks?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:26 pm 

I saw it earlier and I thought it looked rather cool, but now I'm having trouble getting it back up again. And yes, I am pressing Ctrl+F5.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:40 pm 

You are checking the dev. subdomain right?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:57 pm 

In my opinion, it looks neater with the current space between links. The "new one" looks ugly, messy and pretty compact...

Never listen to an Australian's opinion. Alhadis' next suggestion will be adding some animated kangaroos on the menu...
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:22 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
You are checking the dev. subdomain right?

:facepalm: No, I wasn't! :boo: I think the new menu would probably look neater if there was line spacing between "country" and "reviews", but other than that's it's fine in my opinion.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:37 pm 

So right now, Alhadis prefers a more compact menu, and Opsius prefers more spacing, but other than that...?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

~Guest 152635
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:05 pm 

I liked more spacing but with less isn't too bad. I know that doesn't help much.. :P

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:59 am 

OpsiusCato wrote:
The "new one" looks ugly, messy and pretty compact...

morri
morri, wat u doin Image
morri, stahp

... erm. That's not what I meant. :lol: I mean changing the line spacing ONLY on the submenu items. ;) Ah here, I'll show ya...

Here's the CSS code for it. Just, erm, restore the selector in incl_menus.css on line 64 to what it is now:

Code:
.menu_style_3 a, .menu_style_3 li
Back to:
.menu_style_3 a

And put the line-height back to 22px (line 68 of the aforementioned stylesheet).

Then add the following CSS:

Code:
.menu_style_3 li{
   font-family: Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif;
   font-variant: small-caps;
   font-size: 12px;
}
.menu_style_3 ul{
   padding-left: 25px;
   padding-bottom: 1em;
}
.menu_style_3 ul li a{
   line-height: 18px;
}

Also, might wanna remove the space between "Reviews" and the following links. :D Looks a bit... off.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:11 pm 

Er, I know you only asked about the submenu. You might want to re-read what I wrote earlier:

Quote:
but while testing I found that it doesn't look bad when the entire menu has less spacing

IMO it looks fairly neat, but apparently everyone (and by everyone I mean "two guys") hate it...

And the space after Reviews is intentional, to separate the main content (browsing labels, bands and reviews) from misc lists.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:21 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Er, I know you only asked about the submenu. You might want to re-read what I wrote earlier:

Oh, whoops. :facepalm: My bad.

So limiting the reduced spacing to submenu items is a no-go then...?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:06 pm 

It depends on whether everyone hates it or not. But no one else is giving feedback...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:14 pm 

Maybe open a poll...? Like we did with the artist/band sorting order?

Charlo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:41 pm 

I like the ordering and spacing, but it might be cool if you apply the ornament that's under "band queue" to be under the other "sections" of the menu as well (so under "Reviews" and "News Archive").

Additionally, I don't understand why "band queue" is in a different color and at the top of the menu. It's not a very important page for most users of the site. "Bands" should probably be at the top of the menu since that's the reason we're all here. But I rarely use the left-hand navigation so maybe somebody who uses it more often would have a differing opinion.

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:45 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Is the reports/todo stuff at the bottom a big issue?

Not a big issue, but I think it might be better if they were moved right under the band queue link, like we have it now. I think people might notice it more quickly if it was toward the top.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:47 am 

That's actually a good point.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:24 pm 

I think it seems handy and looks alright, I'm kinda with Alhadis with the whole "smaller spacing for smaller font" thing. Also I don't see the need for the extra space between "Reviews" and "RIP", the extra space makes it all seem a little scattered to me.

mooDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:48 pm 

- I think the link to the Band Queue should be on a different colour because as it is now it looks like a heading text for the menu specially with the ornament below it and is easy to miss it.

- I would place Random Band and perhaps Reviews too under Genre in the Band menu tree.

- The link titled R.I.P is a bit confusing, not evident what exactly it refers to until you actually click on it. I also wonder if it is so important to be placed so high on the menu.

- The links for Reports and Other Stuff To Do would be better put in a similar style to Band and Labels, with a heading and then the links. This way it can be made more evident what both links refer to (perhaps Contribute for the heading or something similar).

- Overall I think the size used for the text on the site is too small at 11px, I think 14px would be ideal.

Reply to topic