Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShadeOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:17 pm 

This can really come in handy when for example making a podcast. I've got my thrash podcast, and I was thinking of introducing a new segment called something like "Myspace of the week" or something similar. The thing is, when I press the random band button, I almost never land on a thrash band. It's always either Death or Black metal stuff I'm getting. Hope this could be done!

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:32 am 

Perhaps an expanded Random Band that would allow for other options, such as by country, release by year and so on. The randomization would just pick from the search results at random and return the band or album.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:20 pm 

That takes some of the randomness out of it, now doesn't it?

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:42 pm 

I kinda have to agree with John_Sunlight on this one. Besides, it'd be easier to just use the Bands by Genre tab and just clicking on a random band.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

whiteshark761
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:43 pm 

LOL, why would anyone argue against an added feature? You aren't going to be forced to use it if you don't want to.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:03 am 

Yet it will be there, and here we have a perfectly good opportunity to alter that possible future... We are as gods.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:51 am 

I still think it's a good idea. 99% it lands on super shitty one man black metal bands that only released one split between it and another one man black metal band (sometimes, it's the same guy in both bands).

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

AllTooHuman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:23 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I still think it's a good idea. 99% it lands on super shitty one man black metal bands that only released one split between it and another one man black metal band (sometimes, it's the same guy in both bands).

Yeah and those are the best kind of bands! Yeah I agree that this feature should be added

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:54 am 

Might as well keep the "random" button on the front page the same as it is, and simply add a random feature to the advanced search that will automatically put you on the page of one of the bands that fits the criteria of your search, rather than taking you to the list of fitting bands.

ShadeOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:50 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Might as well keep the "random" button on the front page the same as it is, and simply add a random feature to the advanced search that will automatically put you on the page of one of the bands that fits the criteria of your search, rather than taking you to the list of fitting bands.

That was actually an even better idea. The thing is, when you search, you always see the same bands that you did the last time you searched, and having a random feature there could be really helpful.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:50 pm 

That's a great idea, it'll help me find good underrated symphonic metal bands or any other genre I want to find. However I think that this "by genre" should be optional, someone or I might want to find a completely random metal band.

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:03 am 

Really great idea, especially for the not-so-big-genres like Raw symphonic black metal or whatever.

Iggnsthe
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:33 am 

Markov wrote:
Really great idea, especially for the not-so-big-genres like Raw symphonic black metal or whatever.

Seeing as that particular phrasing has all of one result, I don't think a random button for it would be too necessary. Anyway, for really specific things like that, I don't understand why just clicking around the lists populated by an advanced search would be any different...

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:57 pm 

People like features...

Reply to topic