Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
displeasedron
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:53 am 

About the new layout, it's probably something to get used to. Although the v1 looked easier. All info on one page. Time will tell.

What I do think could be improved is the brown color of text used in the TABS and other places. It's illegible for me. It's so dark that with a little sun in the room, I cannot read it at all. I have to CONTROL-A each page, just to see what's written. I'm all for the gloomy dark layout of the site, but I'm even more for the usability of an encyclopedia.

Suggestion: Add one or more themes that people can select in their profile. With at least 1 theme where all the text is 100% white.

Kudo's to the coders that keep on improving the site.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:13 pm 

Most people have no problems with the colours, but a few have reported issues. Seems like a certain batch of monitors cannot handle the colours at all.. we'll plan different skins at some point, but for now I'm afraid you'll have to make to. :(

GraveWish wrote:
Like that bands with upcoming releases can be kept in the draft until the release is out. Currently if we do that the band will look like it was added before the release date.

You mean, when it's finally added to the site, the "added on" date will be before the album date? That's not really an issue, don't worry.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

zeitfliesst
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:21 pm 

I guess I like the new version, but I think the partitioning of the album information into songs, lineup, and additional notes is unnecessary. It was nice to see all this information together, but now it takes extra clicks and some switching back and forth to access this information.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:57 pm 

Quote:
GraveWish wrote:
Like that bands with upcoming releases can be kept in the draft until the release is out. Currently if we do that the band will look like it was added before the release date.

You mean, when it's finally added to the site, the "added on" date will be before the album date? That's not really an issue, don't worry.

Well not that, when it's finally added to the queue, the "added on" date will be before the album date. Therefore it will get rejected by the moderator under the reason album is not released yet.

darkest_depth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:18 pm 

I've got a small suggestion about the guest appearance of some artist on releases:
Sometimes bands have other (often well known) artist on their albums so that they may get a bit more attention. My example is Mille Petrozas appearance in Japanische Kampfhörspiele.
In v1 you could read that in the additional notes, which I normally read, but now I have to click through several albums then click on the Guest section of the line-up. I don't think that the way with the additional notes is very advanced, so I think there should be a small link from the playlist in the album, maybe a small link, or just an image on the right side or something.

Something else:
Shouldn't the album image be centered?

frostjunkie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:25 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Most people have no problems with the colours, but a few have reported issues. Seems like a certain batch of monitors cannot handle the colours at all.. we'll plan different skins at some point, but for now I'm afraid you'll have to make to. :(

Thank you.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:50 pm 

GraveWish wrote:
Well not that, when it's finally added to the queue, the "added on" date will be before the album date. Therefore it will get rejected by the moderator under the reason album is not released yet.

Uh, no. The mod will reject the band based on the album released date and the current date, not the entry creation date... If a mod has done this to you, let me know who it was so I can bitchslap him a bit for lack of common sense. :p

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

SwarteHeap
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:04 pm 

Edit the location (city name) of a band, then click on the country... in the "browse bands by country" list it still shows the old location?

DarkBarrage99
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:57 pm 

I very much enjoy the addition of the "similar artists" tab,
however, when checking one out, I've noticed that looking at
a "similar" band's page and clicking on that bands "similar artists"
tab, theres no link back to that page. for example, looking at Opeth's
page gives a comparison to the band Agalloch's page. look at Agalloch's
"similar artists", you find that there isn't one back to Opeth. I think
that in order to fix this dilemma, they should either be listed on
both pages, perhaps for sake of differentiating, in a different
section under the "similar artists" tab with something like "has been compared to."

just a thought.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:47 pm 

SwarteHeap wrote:
Edit the location (city name) of a band, then click on the country... in the "browse bands by country" list it still shows the old location?

That's because the list is cached.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:49 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
GraveWish wrote:

Uh, no. The mod will reject the band based on the album released date and the current date, not the entry creation date... If a mod has done this to you, let me know who it was so I can bitchslap him a bit for lack of common sense. :p

Maybe I missed something, but is MA now accepting new bands before they release the album (when the release date is confirmed)?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:50 pm 

...No. That's not what I said. :durr:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

SwarteHeap
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:52 pm 

Okay, I'll report another thing. Probably everyone is long aware of this. When you add a member, the "(as ___)" input box doesn't appear until you refresh the page.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:27 am 

That's cause the box was already present when you added the artist... not a biggie.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Tiriel
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:55 am 

[idiocy removed -- enough with this already]

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:33 am 

:zzz:
The new version of the site is a clear progession and advance, compared with the simply c/p-one which we are so familiar with. We finally have label sites, musician sites and a more database-oriented approach. Yeah, this needs some work to get the information in at the moment, but once this has been done, then the quality of the entries will be much higher then before.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:36 am 

Thanks, but don't respond to these anymore, from now on I'm going to simply delete the bullshit polluting this thread.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:42 am 

Morrigan wrote:
That's cause the box was already present when you added the artist... not a biggie.

Uh? He's talking about the Alias box. It only appears after the page is refreshed.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:01 am 

Small nitpick, but the cursor doesn't change into a hand symbol as usually for links and buttons when moved over the "Submit" button on the main page. So unconsciously I sometimes click on the forum button under it. Using FF 4.

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:00 am 

Morrigan wrote:
...No. That's not what I said. :durr:

haha OK, I actually got that from the OP's question.

----

I have to insist on adding "Vocals (clean)" and "vocals (harsh)". There are lots of bands with 2 or more vocalist and it is always useful to know who's growling and who's not.

----

It seems like some characters in lyrics got messed up, examples are lyrics with accents: http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/T% ... rok/129258

Inhumer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:09 am 

I've noticed that occasionally when I add people to past members section, it will add them multiple times even if I only hit submit once.

droneriot wrote:
It's a well-known fact that 99% of all metal fans think that everything with electronic elements is industrial.

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:59 am 

Quote:
Error:

SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (11)

#0 /home/metalarc/lib/Zend/Db/Adapter/Pdo/Mysql.php(96): Zend_Db_Adapter_Pdo_Abstract->_connect()
#1 /home/metalarc/lib/Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php(459): Zend_Db_Adapter_Pdo_Mysql->_connect()
#2 /home/metalarc/lib/Zend/Db/Adapter/Pdo/Abstract.php(238): Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query('SELECT DISTINCT...', Array)
#3 /home/metalarc/lib/Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php(791): Zend_Db_Adapter_Pdo_Abstract->query('SELECT DISTINCT...', Array)
#4 /home/metalarc/webapp/controllers/ArchivesController.php(35): Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->fetchCol('SELECT DISTINCT...')
#5 /home/metalarc/lib/Zend/Controller/Action.php(513): ArchivesController->bandListAction()
#6 /home/metalarc/lib/Zend/Controller/Dispatcher/Standard.php(295): Zend_Controller_Action->dispatch('bandListAction')
#7 /home/metalarc/lib/Zend/Controller/Front.php(954): Zend_Controller_Dispatcher_Standard->dispatch(Object(Zend_Controller_Request_Http), Object(Zend_Controller_Response_Http))
#8 /home/metalarc/www/index.php(114): Zend_Controller_Front->dispatch()
#9 {main}

tried to access the recently submitted band list

My podcast:

~Guest 193166
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:09 pm 

I also got that same message when trying to access the Vials of Wrath split album.

~Guest 208198
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:41 pm 

How about using one single sprite for the theme instead of having many seperate images for each "state"? As long as the images are cached, it isn't as annoying, but even on a decent connection it takes a (split of a?) second for images to load. (Just, ugh, no preloaders D:)
Now, I'm aware that it isn't that big of a problem, or at all, but for the sake of, say, perfection. :D Also, the use of sprites would help decreasing the http request count, which is always a neat thing.

Initially wanted to rant on a lack of ("back") links, too, but it was just me not spotting them. So, that is all, I guess. :V

shakira
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:40 pm 

i have a question about the browse band by letter/country/genre pages... before we had all hits/results on one page.

now we have them on lots... example: "Showing 1 to 100 of 1,808 entries" - we're supposed to click through this list, instead of getting the entire list on one page, where we can ctrl-f to find things?

sure, use the search function you might reply, but sometimes you don't remember name exactly, and need to see it to remember correct spelling, or you go by vlink being a diff color (might not even work anymore in this css), and so on...

any chance of this being changed?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:53 pm 

Evenfiel wrote:
Uh? He's talking about the Alias box. It only appears after the page is refreshed.

I know. I'm saying it's not a big deal.
Inhumer wrote:
I've noticed that occasionally when I add people to past members section, it will add them multiple times even if I only hit submit once.

How do you do that? The add button is greyed out once you click on it...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:20 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
GraveWish wrote:

LOL I had some funny rejections but I am not discussing the past :p

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:44 pm 

Two things:

1. The newly added option (which you really should inform about with all due elaboration, if it wasn't already done) to add separated instrument fields for band members has a certain bug in it that randomly (and quite rarely) duplicates instruments upon hitting the "save tab" button. These are only visible when editing the line up (forgot to print-screen it though, but I doubt it will be of any help anyway).

P.S: I've noticed these to happen ONLY with these new, extra fields, when the saving process (and the entire database) gets laggy.

2. Just a minor suggestion really - maybe it's possible to add a rating option for labels (based on prices, reliability etc.)?

Disregard if any of these were previously addressed.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

SwarteHeap
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:53 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Evenfiel wrote:

I know. I'm saying it's not a big deal.

Well the thing is, I thought I had a problem with this once, where I would add artists, mess around with aliases and at some point hitting 'save this tab' would wipe other artists' aliases. But I haven't been able to reproduce it so I may have been hallucinating.

Anyway, I have a question about reports being closed. If a moderator closes a report without doing anything, shouldn't he post a comment explaining why? Otherwise the user who sent the report has no idea why it was rejected or ignored, or even if it was closed by accident.

The_Metal_Collector
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:49 pm 

I'm not sure if it's been posted yet, but it seems like searching for bands in Cyrillic characters doesn't work properly anymore.
For example:

In the old version (still works in the V1 link) if I search for "Жар-Птица" it returns the correct band, being "Zhar-Ptica".
In the new version I get no results. Though when I search for "Zhar-Ptica" in the new interface it returns the correct band, even with the alternate name (Жар-Птица) in brackets behind it!

This also applies for other bands, whose name is originally written in Cyrillic. If this issue will not be resolved it might become a reason for me to start using other sites as an alternative, since I always tend to spell the bands in my collection in their original spelling.

Some examples of other bands that can't be found anymore:
Руян
СатанаКозёл
Дрыгва

It also applies to other characters, i.e. the band 伏羲 can't also be found anymore. In V1 this would have returned "Fu Xi" (in western spelling).

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:08 pm 

It's the htmlentities again. These entries just need to be manually fixed. See, you can find Жар-Птица again.
What are the romanized names of those three other Russian bands?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:44 pm 

I wasn't sure if you saw my suggestion about sorting and the advanced search on the previous page. Sorry if you did. I don't mean to be a nag. Maybe it is a dumb idea and was ignored.

Inhumer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:05 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Inhumer wrote:

How do you do that? The add button is greyed out once you click on it...

I don't know, but its happened to me at least four times.

droneriot wrote:
It's a well-known fact that 99% of all metal fans think that everything with electronic elements is industrial.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:51 pm 

In before anyone says it's down. Yes, we know. Server updates in progress, HB posted about it, but I'm sure nobody reads it...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

SwarteHeap
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:41 am 

For some reason, something about the fonts or font sizes used on the front page, I really don't notice new news posts. Maybe it's because all the recent ones are something about server this or maintenance that...

The_Metal_Collector
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:13 am 

Let's see, the other bands (that I've found so far) where:

Руян (Ruyan)
СатанаКозёл (SatanaKozel)
Дрыгва (Drygva)

If I find more, should I post them here or contact you (or someone else) directly?

btw they're not all Russian ;-)

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:20 am 

The_Metal_Collector wrote:
If I find more, should I post them here or contact you (or someone else) directly?

You should use the "Report an error" function for every such band, I think.

krokus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:15 am 

I feel the same problems that we are all having with MY SPACE. the new MA just dont work well. I put a band and press search, then i have to press it again because it doesnt find the band the first time. Then when its found the band page, the page is not good loeded up and i can not see any info, discografy etc...(sorry for my bad english). I am sad about this because before MA was so cool (same with MY SPACE). Why do they wanna change a winning team?

SwarteHeap
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:39 am 

krokus wrote:
I feel the same problems that we are all having with MY SPACE. the new MA just dont work well. I put a band and press search, then i have to press it again because it doesnt find the band the first time. Then when its found the band page, the page is not good loeded up and i can not see any info, discografy etc...(sorry for my bad english). I am sad about this because before MA was so cool (same with MY SPACE). Why do they wanna change a winning team?

Which band are you searching for?

SwarteHeap wrote:
Well the thing is, I thought I had a problem with this once, where I would add artists, mess around with aliases and at some point hitting 'save this tab' would wipe other artists' aliases. But I haven't been able to reproduce it so I may have been hallucinating.

Anyway, I have a question about reports being closed. If a moderator closes a report without doing anything, shouldn't he post a comment explaining why? Otherwise the user who sent the report has no idea why it was rejected or ignored, or even if it was closed by accident.

Okay, I figured it out... Add an already existing artist to a band's lineup, but give him a different alias when adding him. It works... but now if you edit his instrument (or anything else) and hit 'save tab', the alias you gave him will be wiped. Since the alias field was never added to the form by the javascript stuff.

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:26 pm 

Several questions:
Will all my split album reviews be deleted and have to be resubmitted?

Is it possible to put the band members in the disco-section in a particular order? Vocalist, then guitarist etc.?

My podcast:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 65  Next