* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:54 am 

Fulgurius wrote:
Azmodes wrote:
Regarding splits: You can add new bands to the split, but not remove them while you're editing the album (in case you got the wrong band with the same name or made a typo while adding one that isn't in the database, etc...). You have to go back and start from scratch again.

Same with adding tracks in general.

Sorry if this was already addressed and/or is a tricky thing to modify. It would make the process more efficient though.

If you have added wrong band to the split, you can simply add the correct one and select it from the drop-down of respective tracks, then the "wrong" band will disappear when it has no tracks attributed to it.

Ah okay, you're right. If it's the fifth band that doesn't work though. But it's getting increasingly trivial now.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:58 am 

Morrigan wrote:
...Did you even TRY before asking?

(Hint: yes.)

No I didn't :p, thanks.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:29 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Ah okay, you're right. If it's the fifth band that doesn't work though. But it's getting increasingly trivial now.

Yeah, we're aware of that limitation, an issue was filed a while back but since it's low priority it's still not done, sorry.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

hrymr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:15 am 

hrymr wrote:
I'm not sure if someone already asked this, but could be possible order the current members for instrument? for example starting from: vocals, guitars, bass, drums etc... and do something like that also for the past members? Sometime is difficult see if are all added because are sorted by date i think

thanks

I don't know if the comment was read :-P

ashiaor666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:07 am 

I'm a moron who just got suspended.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:37 pm 

hrymr wrote:
hrymr wrote:
I'm not sure if someone already asked this, but could be possible order the current members for instrument? for example starting from: vocals, guitars, bass, drums etc... and do something like that also for the past members? Sometime is difficult see if are all added because are sorted by date i think

thanks

I don't know if the comment was read :-P

Morrigan already addressed that somewhere, the answer was "no".
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

hrymr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:02 pm 

yentass wrote:
Morrigan already addressed that somewhere, the answer was "no".

ok, i see
thanks for the answer :D

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:27 pm 

For the record, labels without bands or releases attached have been deleted (about 2200 orphans, heh). Though it's possible you see some label pages with nothing attached to it, but keep in mind that some might be as of yet unapproved bands.

There is still a crapton of cleanup to do on label pages, to be honest. Many duplicates, pseudo-labels (that are just another way to write "independent"), meaningless acronyms, etc...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

shakira
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:06 am 

shakira wrote:
i have a question about the browse band by letter/country/genre pages... before we had all hits/results on one page.

now we have them on lots... example: "Showing 1 to 100 of 1,808 entries" - we're supposed to click through this list, instead of getting the entire list on one page, where we can ctrl-f to find things?

sure, use the search function you might reply, but sometimes you don't remember name exactly, and need to see it to remember correct spelling, or you go by vlink being a diff color (might not even work anymore in this css), and so on...

any chance of this being changed?

two pages ago i asked this, no reply yet from anyone in charge. would really like to know why you think it's useful to only show x bands per page versus showing all on one page.

another example: looking for a band i know starts with S, so i browse by letter S. i think it starts with Su or Sy, but list starts with Sa bands.. have eto guess what page number Su starts on. or just click endlessly. there are many more examples like these, in which those browse by lists are useful. but not in its current form.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:09 am 

We'll add more flexibility in the number of elements per page later. We added pagination on long lists to save bandwidth and performance. Loading huge lists of thousands of records on every hit is really not optimal, I'm afraid.

But in the meantime, you could use the advanced search for that, such as this:
http://www.metal-archives.com/search/ad ... ame=#bands
http://www.metal-archives.com/search/ad ... ame=#bands

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:25 am 

Seeing my several little bitchings around here, I don't want to give the impression that I'm not happy with v2. It's awesome. Very awesome. And my respect and gratitude goes out to anyone who provides such awesomeness for free and ad-less.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:39 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Seeing my several little bitchings around here, I don't want to give the impression that I'm not happy with v2.

Don't worry, that's not a problem.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:37 am 

Morrigan wrote:
There is still a crapton of cleanup to do on label pages, to be honest. Many duplicates, pseudo-labels (that are just another way to write "independent"), meaningless acronyms, etc...

That struck me when I did some editting there as well. There are tons of labels ... a lot stuff that needs to be checked.

by the way, how do we deal with multiple labels? Some grindcore bands have six or more on a single release, which spread/t them similtaneously.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

NickCaveman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:50 am 

dunno if it's a bug or I'm the one doing it wrong but anyways, I was editing a review I did, when I tried to submit it it said to enter a valid score from 0-100 so ok, I re-entered the score since I didn't want to change it but it just kept saying the same thing all the time, in the end I couldn't edit the review because of the score.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:18 am 

It's a bug. :oh shit: Gonna fix this ASAP.

Edit: please try again now.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:29 am 

In other news, there is now a system to clear the legacy lineups -- this is becoming necessary since lineups become outdated quickly and we don't want folks to revert recent changes based on what they see in the legacy lineup. So Veterans, clear away, and non-veterans, please use the "flag for clearing" link whenever you encounter a page with a complete and up-to-date lineup.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:10 am 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
by the way, how do we deal with multiple labels? Some grindcore bands have six or more on a single release, which spread/t them similtaneously.

Choose one and add the others to the additional notes.

Zorg85
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:35 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
In other news, there is now a system to clear the legacy lineups -- this is becoming necessary since lineups become outdated quickly and we don't want folks to revert recent changes based on what they see in the legacy lineup. So Veterans, clear away, and non-veterans, please use the "flag for clearing" link whenever you encounter a page with a complete and up-to-date lineup.

Nice option ;)

A little note though : mods/people should check if ALL bands are linked for members. I just corrected 2 reports were the info was not fully updated. When I add a member I directly update all his bands so no info is lost (I have V1 opened too and I sometimes see a member linked to another band but on the other page the link is not appearing)

NickCaveman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:44 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
It's a bug. :oh shit: Gonna fix this ASAP.

Edit: please try again now.

did it, it worked this time, pending status, thanks :)

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:59 pm 

Zorg85 wrote:
A little note though : mods/people should check if ALL bands are linked for members. I just corrected 2 reports were the info was not fully updated. When I add a member I directly update all his bands so no info is lost (I have V1 opened too and I sometimes see a member linked to another band but on the other page the link is not appearing)

I tend to agree. Fortunately, there's always the v1 as reference if someone clears a legacy lineup prematurely. But I do the same as you, just to be sure no info is lost.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:55 pm 

Evenfiel wrote:
oneyoudontknow wrote:

Will this be changed later? Multiple labels per release?

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:07 pm 

Zorg85 wrote:

Yeah, that's how I always do it too. Adding all members who also play in other bands to the other bands' lineup pages so we get those nice little "See also" thingies and everything's accurately transferred. This also tends to weed out duplicate artists.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:36 pm 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
Evenfiel wrote:

Will this be changed later? Multiple labels per release?

Yes, it will. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it a few times here and in the thread about the beta.

Jakko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:17 pm 

just a quick question: an user added in an album section "other staff" the names of photographs, cover artist (dead in 17th century)

is that allowed? ... I mean they appear with a profile as artist, not just mentioned in album notes

:???: :???: :???:

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:28 pm 

You really have to do something about the member sorting. Sorting by legacy if definitely a mess, look how unreadable this is:

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ann ... ab_members

I must insist, but there should be they should be sorted by any of these ways to make it easier to browse:

1) First: instrument; then: legacy
1) First: instrument; then: alphabetically (by last name)

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:22 pm 

I agree that the sorting/grouping should be revised, and there are plans for that for v2.1, but... what do you mean, sorting by "legacy"? I don't think the word means what you think it means... :D

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:00 am 

Morrigan wrote:

Perhaps to add interest in this, there could be a point reward for doing this? I've already cleared bands I updated with V2 myself, but to help garner interest in this maybe it could be looked at?

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:09 am 

Morrigan wrote:
I agree that the sorting/grouping should be revised, and there are plans for that for v2.1, but... what do you mean, sorting by "legacy"? I don't think the word means what you think it means... :D

haha, I think someone used it here before when I mentioned that earlier and it got stuck for some reason. I mean that members are sorted from older to newest, according to the time they've been in the band

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:35 am 

Sorry if this has been mentioned (I excused myself from reading the previous 13 pages of this thread :P), but it's been brought up in the FFA that the 'Chat' link on the main page (apparently below the 'Help' link) doesn't appear to those/some of us using Chrome as a browser.

- Tim Minchin

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:18 pm 

Quote:
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, searched but couldn't find it,
but you can't properly enter the lineup for non-MA bands on split releases. That is, they don't appear in the dropdown menu. Should this always be solved by adding it to the additional info or is it an upcoming feature?

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:54 pm 

omg, thanks for this:

+Select band member(s)
OR
+Add another artist

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:21 pm 

Just noticed this as well. Nice!

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:55 pm 

Would it be possible to somehow mark reports which have new comments since the last login (pretty much like with topics in the forum) in the "My reports" section?

Marxious
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:24 pm 

I wasn't sure where to post this, but this seems to be the most acceptable location.

I haven't been able to log into the main site since the switch to v2. I am still able to log into the forums, but for some reason I can't log in to everything else on the archives.

Any idea why this might be?

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:48 pm 

OlioTheSmall wrote:
Sorry if this has been mentioned (I excused myself from reading the previous 13 pages of this thread :P), but it's been brought up in the FFA that the 'Chat' link on the main page (apparently below the 'Help' link) doesn't appear to those/some of us using Chrome as a browser.

My bad. I wasn't logged in.

-5 experience points.

- Tim Minchin

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:34 pm 

I'm doing some color tests, I brightened the link color a bit and added a color for visited links here: http://dev.metal-archives.com/

Better or worse?

Also, the band data (genre, etc.) uses a slightly bigger font.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:41 pm 

Marxious wrote:
I wasn't sure where to post this, but this seems to be the most acceptable location.

I haven't been able to log into the main site since the switch to v2. I am still able to log into the forums, but for some reason I can't log in to everything else on the archives.

Any idea why this might be?

Well, your site and forum passwords appear to be different... If you resetted your password through the forum, that doesn't affect the site password, so it might still be set to an old password? In any case, you can use the password retrieval feature if need be: http://www.metal-archives.com/user/forgot-password

ToDreamOfUr
The Boy King of All Village Idiots

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:38 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
I'm doing some color tests, I brightened the link color a bit and added a color for visited links here: http://dev.metal-archives.com/

Better or worse?

Looks pretty good. An improvement definitely.

Haat888
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:09 am 

I think there is a little bug (or is it me?? I use Mozilla Firefox)

When I enter a band member (name instrument) and click on add to line-up, nothing happens, it does not appear in the list with name (as ...)

It's only when I click on "update this tab" that the members finally appear listed

It has been happening since last evening... Is this happening to others as well?

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:11 am 

^ Yeah that happened to me as well. Must be a temporary bug? But as you said, the work had not been wasted because the bandmember appeared after saving.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 65  Next