Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:28 pm 

SwarteHeap wrote:

Okay, I figured it out... Add an already existing artist to a band's lineup, but give him a different alias when adding him. It works... but now if you edit his instrument (or anything else) and hit 'save tab', the alias you gave him will be wiped. Since the alias field was never added to the form by the javascript stuff.

Yep, I've already reported this too.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:35 pm 

SwarteHeap wrote:
Okay, I figured it out... Add an already existing artist to a band's lineup, but give him a different alias when adding him. It works... but now if you edit his instrument (or anything else) and hit 'save tab', the alias you gave him will be wiped. Since the alias field was never added to the form by the javascript stuff.

Okay, issue filed.

oneyoudontknow wrote:
Will all my split album reviews be deleted and have to be resubmitted?

Not exactly. Yesterday I returned those reviews to your drafts because I figured you might want to re-edit them, since they were submitted twice each (for each legacy split). With the split corrections, I have to delete one and keep the other, but while they seemed to be identical, the titles and ratings were different. So I figured you'd want to take a second look. Basically, the pseudo-rejection is just a notification that the legacy split was merged so you're aware of what happened, not a real rejection. If you prefer, I won't touch your reviews (though if I see this happen again, I'll just delete one of the two duplicates randomly). Up to you, really.

Quote:
Is it possible to put the band members in the disco-section in a particular order? Vocalist, then guitarist etc.?

No.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:21 pm 

Inbefo:
http://www.metal-archives.com/news/view/id/186

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

SwarteHeap
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:24 am 

I think you should be allowed to have an album in both your collection and your wantlist. Say you have the CD, but you also want the vinyl. When you add something to your collection which is already in your wantlist, you should get some popup window asking whether you want to remove the wantlist item (rather than automatically moving it, including the comments, to your collection).

Ozenrol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:52 am 

I'm really much too lazy to read through the entire thread (or use the search function), but is there a way to add a "session musicians" tab to a band, similar to the "live musicians" one? I've been editing lineups for the past couple of days and have gone through a numerous amount of artists who do session work instead of playing full time with a band (case in point would be musicians for "solo" acts, such as Nattefrost). I just think it'd be a lot easier for people editing as well as people browsing.

The new version looks great, by the way.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:56 am 

Both requests are planned for the future.

Orion
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:12 pm 

A "similar artists" submission and vote should count on both bands' pages.

There's a lot of cases where "X" is featured as a similar artist of "Y", yet "Y" is not featured as a similar artist of "X".

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:50 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/N ... ou/304200/

I cannot access the reviewers site via the window that opens once you have clicked on the name. Have tried it several times, but nothing happens.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

SwarteHeap
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:28 pm 

Another report: If you edit live bandmembers to be regular bandmembers and save the tab, they disappear from the live tab but don't appear in the regular tab.

Orion wrote:
A "similar artists" submission and vote should count on both bands' pages.

There's a lot of cases where "X" is featured as a similar artist of "Y", yet "Y" is not featured as a similar artist of "X".

I want a definite answer on this! I didn't think it would be a good idea, but it seemed to me that those on top were tending towards it. But people keep bringing it up on this thread. I guess it would be nice to put an end to it, one way or another.

2ndsicness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:20 pm 

Hey,

When ever I try to view my collection I get this message:

DataTables warning: JSON data from server could not be parsed. This is caused by a JSON formatting error.

I think it was mentioned in the thread about beta-testing but couldn't find an answer so if there's a thread/answer somewhere on the forum just link it. If no, it would be nice if someone knew what was going on.

C.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:07 pm 

I still haven't decided about the similar artists thing.

The Json error was caused by some weird characters in the notes for one of the albums. I've fixed it now.

oneyoudontknow wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Necromanteion/Fuck_You/304200/

I cannot access the reviewers site via the window that opens once you have clicked on the name. Have tried it several times, but nothing happens.

Caused by a space in his name. Fixed now.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:53 am 

For the most part, I like the new version. But why was the quotes function nerfed? Before you could embed 3 quotes within each other, this has been scaled down now.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:02 am 

To avoid quote trains, I guess. This is good, some quotes before were endless and useless, cluttering up the page. Most of the time, one quote is enough: the person you're answering to.

Fazzoletti
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:06 am 

I don't know if it has been said yet, but why can't you see the title of a review in the reviews list anymore? It was very helpful for me when I was browsing through months of reviews and stumbled upon a title like "Furious Black Metal from Norway!". Otherwise I wouldn't click on so many reviews for bands I don't know simply because there would be way too often bands from genres I just don't like. Seeing the title of reviews really helps when looking for new bands.

hrymr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:46 am 

I'm not sure if someone already asked this, but could be possible order the current members for instrument? for example starting from: vocals, guitars, bass, drums etc... and do something like that also for the past members? Sometime is difficult see if are all added because are sorted by date i think

thanks

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:08 am 

Why does the update list not contain information which label has been updated recently? Or is it too unimportant to include this as well?

edit:
aaaaaand, can we have an edit date here:
http://www.metal-archives.com/label

edit2:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Al ... 999/205061
http://www.concretorecs.com/alfaeridano ... ses/d1.htm
AWMP seems to be some sort of 'the band label' if you like. Yet this label exists as an entry in the MA database:
http://www.metal-archives.com/labels/Az ... etal/10741
Change everything to this or explain it in the add notes?

My podcast:

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:28 am 

Fanfarigoule wrote:
To avoid quote trains, I guess. This is good, some quotes before were endless and useless, cluttering up the page. Most of the time, one quote is enough: the person you're answering to.

I can see your point. Its just irritating sometimes, that's all.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Hungarian_Krieger
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:38 am 

There is a "bug' for the moment, I can't link artists to other bands

ex: I'm updating Pledge Defiance page, member Brynn Huxtable is in Code of Silence and when I search his name "NO results found" (and spellings are correct I checked with V1)

:???:

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:40 am 

Configuration : W2K, FF3.6.16

I have a problem when searching some artists I added.

I added the whole Suppository lineup.
When searching for Rutger Noij, whether in general search or artist search window, this guy never shows up.
I tried to search for "Rutger Noij", "Rutger", "Noij", "Noi*", without result.
The problem is the same with all the other Suppository guys, except Boris Cornelissen which was already present in the DB.

Did I do something wrong during my submission ?

----

Also, a really minor bug when clicking on the "(show Legacy Lineup)" link : when the legacy lineup is displayed, the link should become "(hide legacy lineup)"...
To separate art from entertainment doesn't make sense anymore.

my trade list

hrymr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:44 am 

false_icon wrote:

When searching for Rutger Noij, whether in general search or artist search window, this guy never shows up.
The problem is the same with all the other Suppository guys, except Boris Cornelissen which was already present in the DB.

----

Also, a really minor bug when clicking on the "(show Legacy Lineup)" link : when the legacy lineup is displayed, the link should become "(hide legacy lineup)"...

I'm having the same problem at the moment

Hungarian_Krieger
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:45 am 

false_icon wrote:

----

Same I have, artists don't show ...

mouritsdebeer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:07 am 

I also can't find the artists in search, after I've added them. Kind of a big problem, because now there will be many duplicate artists if users can't search the existing ones.

This problem only exists for artists which I just created a page for. When I search their name, it doesn't come up.

krokus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:02 pm 

SwarteHeap wrote:
krokus wrote:
I feel the same problems that we are all having with MY SPACE. the new MA just dont work well. I put a band and press search, then i have to press it again because it doesnt find the band the first time. Then when its found the band page, the page is not good loeded up and i can not see any info, discografy etc...(sorry for my bad english). I am sad about this because before MA was so cool (same with MY SPACE). Why do they wanna change a winning team?

Which band are you searching for?

It happens with all the bands. I press SEARCH and no band comes up, then i press again SEARCH and then the band comes up but not always with the discografi info. Very strange.

krokus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:38 pm 

Just now after checking it again i pressed twice on SEARCH and the bands comes up straight away. Thats resolved then, sorry about this. But a lot of times the discografi and other info doesnt come up, just the name of the band, some bio and the band photo on the right.

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:42 pm 

can we have a save button at the top as well? I am currently moving a lot of releases to a new label and it is tiring to have to scroll every time.

edit:
https links are not accepted

My podcast:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:57 pm 

Damn. Seems like the indexing engine (Solr) was locked. We restarted it, but all new entries added within that time frame didn't get indexed due to a write-lock (that's also why the search worked for the old entries). We re-ran the full-import, so those artists should show up in the search now, but HB and I are checking into what caused this write-lock in the first place, so we can avoid it in the future.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:28 pm 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
Why does the update list not contain information which label has been updated recently? Or is it too unimportant to include this as well?

I've already suggested it a while ago, along with an artist section.

Quote:
aaaaaand, can we have an edit date here:
http://www.metal-archives.com/label

I'll file an issue.

Quote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Alfa_Eridano_Akhernar/Demo_rehearsal_1999/205061
http://www.concretorecs.com/alfaeridano ... ses/d1.htm
AWMP seems to be some sort of 'the band label' if you like. Yet this label exists as an entry in the MA database:
http://www.metal-archives.com/labels/Az ... etal/10741
Change everything to this or explain it in the add notes?

Currently we make no such distinction, so just leave it the way it is.

Quote:
I don't know if it has been said yet, but why can't you see the title of a review in the reviews list anymore? It was very helpful for me when I was browsing through months of reviews and stumbled upon a title like "Furious Black Metal from Norway!". Otherwise I wouldn't click on so many reviews for bands I don't know simply because there would be way too often bands from genres I just don't like. Seeing the title of reviews really helps when looking for new bands.

I'll file an issue.

SwarteHeap
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:32 pm 

Folkearth band page wrote:
Important! This is NOT a band from Lithuania only, this is an international band. Since Metal Archives does not have an "international" option for country, Lithuania is used.

Shouldn't there be such an option by now?

I also noticed that the label Darker Than Black is apparently from Antarctica. (actually there's a duplicate label entry under Germany, too...)

Likanars
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:43 pm 

Why can't I request moderator's attention on my own reports?

So duplicate entries can be cleaned up.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:55 pm 

Likanars wrote:
Why can't I request moderator's attention on my own reports?

So duplicate entries can be cleaned up.

That feature was disabled for non-veterans due to being misused by most users.

Quote:
I also noticed that the label Darker Than Black is apparently from Antarctica. (actually there's a duplicate label entry under Germany, too...)

You could've just sent a report to correct that.

Last edited by Evenfiel on Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwarteHeap
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:05 pm 

Well, if it should be International, I should mention it here.

Another report: Artists who did session work for a band before later joining full-time. It seems odd that their guest work is still split off onto another tab and not mentioned on the "active bands" tab. But maybe that's how it was intended...?

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:19 pm 

SwarteHeap wrote:
Well, if it should be International, I should mention it here.

It should't be. The label is from Germany.

SwarteHeap
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:27 pm 

Okay. What about bands like Folkearth? (And others, like Ophidian Forest) They should be International.

zervyx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:53 pm 

I posted this in another topic (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=79314) but I guess it could fit here, sorry if this has already been commented here.

It seems that this new version of the site doesnt ask for any kind of source regarding reports. The result is a list full reports in which the reporters don't bother in telling us how they got the information, and most of the times is impossible (or very hard) to know if the information is true and the report reliable.

Would it be too difficult if you could add, to the report form, a statement saying how much we would appreciate if they could tell us how they got the information?

Last edited by zervyx on Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SwarteHeap
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:59 pm 

It would also be nice to save this sort of thing, so that if one guy gives a lineup update, somebody else doesn't go and overwrite it with the old lineup, thinking it was wrong... this kind of possibility scares me at night :(

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:48 am 

Regarding splits: You can add new bands to the split, but not remove them while you're editing the album (in case you got the wrong band with the same name or made a typo while adding one that isn't in the database, etc...). You have to go back and start from scratch again.

Same with adding tracks in general.

Sorry if this was already addressed and/or is a tricky thing to modify. It would make the process more efficient though.

Fulgurius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:46 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Regarding splits: You can add new bands to the split, but not remove them while you're editing the album (in case you got the wrong band with the same name or made a typo while adding one that isn't in the database, etc...). You have to go back and start from scratch again.

Same with adding tracks in general.

Sorry if this was already addressed and/or is a tricky thing to modify. It would make the process more efficient though.

If you have added wrong band to the split, you can simply add the correct one and select it from the drop-down of respective tracks, then the "wrong" band will disappear when it has no tracks attributed to it.

Aadil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:18 pm 

This is the best thing that ever happened to MA. I don't know about any feature upgrades, but the colours(bg+fg combo) is nothing short of spectacular. Makes it so much more readable.

Thank you for this change.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:00 am 

Is it possible to modify a review score without having to re-submit the review to the queue?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:50 am 

...Did you even TRY before asking?

(Hint: yes.)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 65  Next