Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:24 pm 

Now that quote trains are no more, I think it would be beneficial to have a link next to quoted text that links it to the original post. It would be especially handy for when conversations are long and/or meandering.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:27 pm 

The first of three big updates to the forum theme/functionality is coming tonight. This one is aimed at fixing bugs and getting rid of some of the more glaring issues brought up in this thread.

Apologies for the delay.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:38 pm 

The limit of two embedded quotes seems rather harsh. I wouldn't see any problem in increasing it to three.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:43 am 

Quote:
Error 404
Page not found

We are sorry, the page index/legacy you were looking for could not be found. Perhaps the entry has been deleted, or is still pending moderation approval.

If you followed a link from an external site, it was most likely out of date. If you followed a link from within the site and believe this is an error, please report the dead URL below immediately. (Make sure to tell us where you clicked to end up on this page.)
posting.php?mode=reply&f=9&t=79615

Thank you for your comprehension.

I wanted to post in the forum ... in reply to this post:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=79615

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:02 am 

Did "Mark Forum Read" disappear or something? (for single forums)

wINtEr_BlosSOm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:40 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
I did notice one thing when I was writing a review. Obviously to write a review I had to be signed in. It wouldn't let me save draft because it said i needed to sign in on the top left corner (even though I already was.) So I saved it to a word processor. When I submitted it said something like access denied, we require authentication, sign in. So I did and my review was gone. Luckily I already had it saved on the word processor and I just copied and pasted and it let me submit this time. Did I do something stupid or is this some sort of glitch?

I have encountered the same problem a number of times while posting replys.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:42 am 

Wrong thread, this is about the forum. But anyway, your session probably expired while you tried to save that review.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

wINtEr_BlosSOm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:01 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Wrong thread, this is about the forum.

just wanted to know which thread is for forum related question :confused:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:10 am 

Sorry, that was addressed to dystopia, whom you quoted... though I realize that this post wasn't even in this thread, so nevermind that. :P

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

wINtEr_BlosSOm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:21 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Sorry, that was addressed to dystopia, whom you quoted... though I realize that this post wasn't even in this thread, so nevermind that. :P

No problem so if its the thread where forum related question are replied i wanted to know that if it was possble to delete a thread opened by oneself ?

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:27 am 

Entering the a forum (like "Forum Index » Music Talk » Metal discussion") I would appreciate if there is not only on the bottom of the webpage the "Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 318 Next", but also on the top page like it was in v1. Makes browing through pages way easier to not scroll down all the time.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:34 pm 

when editing a post, the button says "submit" rather than "save" - makes the editor wonder if they're actually editing rather than making a double post by mistake

Zorg85
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:43 pm 

I've a bug with the band Skepsis + from Croatia

I was updating Nailed (Hrv) and clicked on the link in the notes to go to Skepsis page and I'm linked to Skepsis (Canada) page with a note in red

"Band ID "85445" not found: showing match for "Skepsis_ "."

Same when I use the search function I'm directed to the Canadian band

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:24 pm 

Wrong thread...

Edit: damn + character. Eh, fixed.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:02 pm 

As I navigate the different forums I keep getting logged off. It's SO fucking annoying. But I'm still logged in on the main page throughout the whole process.

Sometimes to post a reply to a thread, even though I already logged on from the forums page, I will be redirected to the login page again. Then after successfully logging in, I am sometimes either redirected to the login page AGAIN or I am redirected to the forums main page and logged out. What could this possibly be, it is EXTREMELY irritating...

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:20 pm 

Good news everybody!

"Mark all topics as read" is back and working perfectly for individual forums. Along with "Mark all forums as read", the links are now directly below the forum/topic lists on the left side of the screen.

Unfortunately, after talking to the developers of PhpBB3, I learned that the ability for the forum to automatically mark topics/forum as read when you log out or close your browser is no longer an option in PhpBB3 as it had been for PhpBB2. This will mean that if you want to mark topics/forum as read, you must do so manually by clicking the links each time. Sorry. Outside of a mod, there isn't much more I can do with this.

The OP has been updated with a list derived from this thread.

EpicSeptic, it sounds like you may have a cookies/browser problem. Make sure that your browser allows you to save cookies. It may also be worthwhile to dump your cache, and then reload the forums. If it continues, I will look into it.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:45 pm 

Derigin wrote:
Good news everybody!

"Mark all topics as read" is back and working perfectly for individual forums. Along with "Mark all forums as read", the links are now directly below the forum/topic lists on the left side of the screen.

Unfortunately, after talking to the developers of PhpBB3, I learned that the ability for the forum to automatically mark topics/forum as read when you log out or close your browser is no longer an option in PhpBB3 as it had been for PhpBB2. This will mean that if you want to mark topics/forum as read, you must do so manually by clicking the links each time. Sorry. Outside of a mod, there isn't much more I can do with this.

The OP has been updated with a list derived from this thread.

EpicSeptic, it sounds like you may have a cookies/browser problem. Make sure that your browser allows you to save cookies. It may also be worthwhile to dump your cache, and then reload the forums. If it continues, I will look into it.

Thanks, cookies are enabled though... Will try dumping my cache but I remember I have tried that before with no avail. Can it be because I don't have a static ip? Surely most people here don't have static ip's and I haven't heard anyone complaining about this before.

PS. Had to sign in three times to post this eventually...

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:37 pm 

Not sure how much ya'll care, but this is in case you don't want this. The 'Login' and 'Logout' underline that appears when you scroll over it will also appear next to the respective icon (on it's left). It is the only underline that does this too, which is why I figure that this wasn't intentional.

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:56 pm 

It's probably not terribly significant, but I think it'd be nice if in the page that's brought up when you're writing a reply that the names of the previous posters was changed so that they would be more visible. I'd think either the tan color they're set to when normally viewing the forums or white would be best.

Germaniac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:37 am 

Germaniac wrote:
I have no problem logging into the board, but seem to have trouble logging into the archives, the passwords and everything is correct, but still everytime I try to login I get this message:

Quote:
Error:

Access denied

You have tried to reach a page requiring authentication. To access this page, please login with the form at the top left corner. Thank you.

Any help to this problem?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:57 pm 

If you have a problem with the site and not the board, why are you posting in this thread?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Germaniac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:57 pm 

Because obviously I have also trouble with reading comprehension :oh shit:

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:35 pm 

One thing I LIKE is that on the forums, all the official M-A staff member's names are now highlighted in red. That was a good idea; this makes it easier for the users (like me) to tell when the person responding to a thread actually works for the website, as opposed to simply being a "mini mod." As a user, I often had trouble telling who was on the staff and who wasn't. Also, it seems like there have been some changes to the staff recently?

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:47 pm 

Quote:
Also, it seems like there have been some changes to the staff recently?

Just some new mods, though that happens quite often.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:06 am 

well, for one thing, I noticed that Azmodes has taken over as the "database gatekeeper" as far as bands being added or rejected/deleted from the database. I thought Witcher used to do this? I noticed I haven't seen Witcher around as much since V2 was rolled out so I am guessing some people have been re-assigned to new tasks- all part of the fun of running a huge all encompasing metal website I guess. I shudder to think how many man-hours it takes to keep the site running.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:09 pm 

Any mod can accept or reject bands. Some just choose to spend more time on reviews, others on reports, others yet on bands.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:14 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
well, for one thing, I noticed that Azmodes has taken over as the "database gatekeeper" as far as bands being added or rejected/deleted from the database.

Don't know, but I guess you could say that. As long as it doesn't get me a custom title. :P I'm just regularily browsing the band submission queue and the relating threads in the S&C section. As Morrigan said, there are no such definite roles per se for a mod.

Heraklyon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:25 am 

Sorry about this, didn't know exactly where to place this:

I've a got a problem concerning my email and account here on MA. Contacted Corimngul explaining my problem and he told me to contact Hellblazer and Morrigan, because they're the one that have real access to the database. I've sent a PM to both but never got answered. Waited a while and sent them another PM. Still no answer. I know mods and admins have a lot of work to do and probably everytime they log in they must have like 150 new PMs so it must be a pain in the ass to answer all those messages. Anyway, I just wanted to know if there's anyway I could contact them besides Forum PMs, so I could expose my problem and tell them what they needed to know so they could help me.

Thanks in advance.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:30 am 

Both are sometimes active in the chatroom.

Hungarian_Krieger
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:41 am 

hi

How can I add labels? I tried many times but I cannot create? I used Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox but nothing happens , no enter button (and sometimes internet explorer blocks access to create)

I want to add few labels for Hungarian bands, but cannot do

thanks

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:07 am 

Hungarian_Krieger wrote:
How can I add labels? I tried many times but I cannot create? I used Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox but nothing happens , no enter button (and sometimes internet explorer blocks access to create)

That's a bug. You cannot add labels with IE and Firefox 3.6

Fulgurius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:14 am 

Evenfiel wrote:
Hungarian_Krieger wrote:

That's a bug. You cannot add labels with IE and Firefox 3.6

Actually it is possible to add the label by pressing enter button on your keyboard while cursor is placed at the label name field.

Hungarian_Krieger
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:14 am 

what should I use as program? Will this bug be changed?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:21 am 

Hungarian_Krieger wrote:
what should I use as program?

Firefox 4 and up. Google Chrome is also a decent browser.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:38 am 

Hungarian_Krieger wrote:
what should I use as program?

What Azmodeus said. :) Firefox, or Chrome if you don't mind looking like an indie kid.

But here's a little tip: When in doubt, remember that this program is what NOT to use:

Tell everybody you know that Internet Explorer is evil. <_<;

Zorg85
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:33 pm 

Little "bug I just noticed now

When an artist plays in different bands and that some of them do a split together, he can't be added in the line-up section for both bands (in albums) , kinda annoying or I have to mention it in add notes

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:40 am 

Odd thing the other day. I used an iphone to access the board, and it brought up the state of the board from October of last year. Entire thing too, I could browse through all the threads and sub forums. And I had never used that phone to access the board before (nor had the owner), so it wasn’t like it was cached or anything.

No big deal, it resolved itself once I logged in, it’s just a bit curious.

Fulgurius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:46 am 

Zorg85 wrote:

When an artist plays in different bands and that some of them do a split together, he can't be added in the line-up section for both bands (in albums) , kinda annoying or I have to mention it in add notes

This is already known bug. And wrong thread by the way, this one is for forum bugs.

Zorg85
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:09 pm 

Fulgurius wrote:
Zorg85 wrote:

This is already known bug. And wrong thread by the way, this one is for forum bugs.

1. I did not know
2. Which thread should I use then for the site bugs? (v2 feedback thread?)

Fulgurius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:34 pm 

Zorg85 wrote:
2. Which thread should I use then for the site bugs? (v2 feedback thread?)

Yes.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next