Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
e_jpeg
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 3:51 pm 

Last time I tried posting this I wasn't signed in and I think it didn't post, sorry if this is an accidental duplicate.

Pagan Moon is listed in the archives as having "anti-Christianity" as a theme. I believe that it should have "Anti-Mormon", or "Anti-Latter Day Saint" if you want to be more "politically correct" and accurate to the church's current official name, in its lyrical themes. Mormon beliefs wildly differ from mainstream Christianity and even if you consider it another denomination of Christianity there are other denominations with their own lyrical theme tags here e.g. "Anti-Catholic". This could be added as a replacement or alongside the "Anti-Christianity" theme.

There are no published lyrics by this band that I'm aware of, so I'm using release and song titles as a source.

The compilation "Five Years of Anti-Mormon Propaganda" has it literally in the name. It's a comp and not an album but it's maybe their most known release.
The song "Blood Soaked Temple Ashes" likely refers to Mormon "temples", their most important place of worship (vs churches in mainstream Christianity)
The song "Melchizedek Filth Ritual Sure Sign of the Fool" is a clear one and refers to the Melchizedek Priesthood, a belief unique to Mormonism https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melchized ... Day_Saints)
The song "Outer Darkness" refers to the Outer Darkness, which is the Mormon equivalent of hell in their "plan of salvation"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_of_s ... _Mormonism
The song "Final Passage to Faraway Realms" may also refer to the Mormon plan of salvation afterlife, which has different kingdoms, one of which you can get your own planet in... This one is kind of a stretch but I thought i'd still include it.

Pagan Moon is also based in Utah which was founded by the LDS church which now takes up around 60% of the pop. and is their primary religion, so it's easy to see why most clear references to religion are specifically about Mormonism. The guy might be ex-Mormon even. Anyways, long rant for a small detail about a small band so thanks for reading, hails.

Kennermahn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 6:47 am 

Hello
I agree with this, I will correct that. They even have a compilation titled Five Years of Anti​-​Mormon Propaganda.

Thanks

Reply to topic