Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MasterOfSin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:07 am 

Dave_Bloodstream wrote:
Hello there,

I just signed up to try to submit one of my bands that's missing here (seeing some of my past-current bands are in the archives) and as soon as I typed the name the blacklist alert came on. I´m guessing someone else at some point in the past 5 years we´ve been releasing albums has tried to submit the band already and maybe messed up the submission. Is there any way to ask for a review of that submission or make a new one for my band? Or maybe just get further information on why it didn´t fit the rules. I would really appreciate it, thank you very much in advance!

The name of the band is Chaos Before Gea, and some people may label it Metalcore since it´s been a rising genre in my country along with dethcore in the past five years, but reviewers tend to call it simply Modern Metal as in a fusion of classic heavy riffs with maybe a little proggressive influence.

Anyway, don´t mean to be a pain in the ass, I´m just new here hehehe.

Thanks again.

Hi,
the band was blacklisted in 2013, for being more core than metal, if the band has new material, you can post here evidences of the release and some samples to be reevaluated.
Thank you.

Ayatapuc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:04 am 

Ancestro (Peru) blacklisted...why? this is Psychedelic/Doom Metal.
https://ancestro.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNUb3RzDJh4

~Guest 83746
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:59 pm 

Proof for Warp Chamber from the United States

Proof of physical release:
https://imgur.com/a/VB1zm6A

live footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjEBP-hBNZw

Thanks

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:29 pm 

WarDeth88 wrote:
Ancestro (Peru) blacklisted...why? this is Psychedelic/Doom Metal.
https://ancestro.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNUb3RzDJh4

Blacklisted in late 2017. The blacklist notes says that, while the music has some genuine Doom Metal, it is predominantly psych/stoner rock.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:54 pm 

Since I didn't get to comment on the "least metal" thread before it was locked, I'll do it here. My answer to that is definitely Thin Lizzy. I actually do consider them to be "metal", but I cannot fathom how they made it to the archives, but other bands that have a full heavy metal record that's probably heavier than them didn't. Nazareth - "Hair Of The Dog" and Blue Oyster Cult - "Spectres" are way more metal than anything TL ever did, so if the one album rule applies then I don't get it. Someone mentioned how you should either have all or none of the "borderline" bands, that somewhat makes sense. Someone also mentioned how Rush are here purely on their influence, but Zeppelin isn't. Also a great point. Either way, not a huge concern of mine, since I don't run the website. That all said, I do have one honest question for the mods just out of sheer curiosity:

What would be the hurt in including something like Led Zeppelin or other bands that may be more on the "hard rock" side? Sure, they may not be what we know as "heavy fuckin metal!", but they definitely have the "metal riffs" and releases to fit the bill. I know that the point of the archives is to keep is as pure as possible, but what harm is there in including Zeppelin or Nazareth in a metal site? I see something like that more fitting than some of these post-emo-blackgaze bands that get accepted (no hate on them, just needed an example). Again, not meant to be a hostile sounding question, just curious.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:35 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
Since I didn't get to comment on the "least metal" thread before it was locked, I'll do it here. My answer to that is definitely Thin Lizzy. I actually do consider them to be "metal", but I cannot fathom how they made it to the archives, but other bands that have a full heavy metal record that's probably heavier than them didn't. Nazareth - "Hair Of The Dog" and Blue Oyster Cult - "Spectres" are way more metal than anything TL ever did.

5. Comparing bands (don't)

This may seem like the obvious course of action in some cases, but be advised that we generally frown upon arguments like "you have band A listed and band B is similar, hence you must also accept band B". Please avoid this, as it comes with the following problems:

• We simply do not work that way. Each band is assessed and judged on its own merit and trying to compare two distinct bands is treacherous business, even if they may sound similar (which a moderator may not even agree with in the first place). And if the two are indeed sonic carbon copies, perhaps the listed one should be deleted instead. Obviously that is not the only possible scenario and claiming two bands sound the same does not automatically invalidate an argument. It's just very, very often misguided (see below) and we think it's more precise (as much as these things can be) to assess each band as a self-contained entity rather than add even more subjectivity and ambiguity by bringing other bands into the reviewing process.
  • Since the site lists a (very) small number of non-metal exceptions, one might be tempted to use them as a reference point. However, these are exactly that, exceptions, and not subject to our guidelines on music.
  • Slippery slope. We do not want to base further inclusions solely on one or more listed band(s) that might be questionable or were wrongly approved to begin with. We would rather (re-)assess the proposed inclusion and the compared listed band(s) on their own instead of expanding a part of the database based around repeated instances of a resigned "we'll, we have this, why not this as well?". See item 1). To be clear, nobody thinks that we'd otherwise be doomed to ride into fallacy territory and in danger of including BB King or whatever, but we are quite strict about keeping the database focussed.
  • Most importantly, the Archives can in some ways be seen as a database of metal releases rather than bands. What that means is that in order to gain entry, a band only needs one predominantly metal release (ideally a full-length), regardless of the rest of their discography. This can result in bands starting out as metal, but changing to non-metal later or the reverse. More subtle cases exist, with bands being listed based on a (possibly lesser-known) fraction of their discography. So how does this connect to comparing bands? Well, it's simple: Since we judge releases, comparing band A as a whole to band B as a whole is a fallacious argument when one is actually comparing non-metal output of band A (accepted based on their metal output) to non-metal output of band B (unacceptable because they have no metal output). Consider it one level above arguing that band B should be included because they have a few songs as metal as band A's releases.

So again, each band is judged individually and we don't do the blind approach "A, hence also B".
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:45 pm 

I'm fully aware of that rule, but that doesn't answer the question (aka paragraph two) at all. That first paragraph was my way of A. answering the question posted in the original thread, and B. Bringing up some points that others made, and showing why I agree with them.

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:19 am 

Questions: When was Hypno5e blacklisted, what was the justification, and did it happen before the release of Shores of the Abstract Line?

Alba - Les Hombres Errantes dropped earlier this month and while I'm pretty sure based on listening to a few of its songs that it is not metal, I did go through Shores again tonight as catch-up prior to my consumption of Alba and was taken aback by how much more metal material is on it than I remembered. Considering all of the "cinematic" interlude sections, I could see it not making it; however, as with most of what I submit, it just as well could be accepted as one of those fringe albums with just enough passing material there-in. It's sort of like recent material by The Ocean and Intronaut, for what that's worth.

What do you think?

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:22 am 

Spliff from Germany are on the blacklist - their second release just came out and it's upped the death metal quotient quite a bit from the first album.

https://spliffgrind420.bandcamp.com/alb ... ger-smoker

What do you think? Whitelist?

Greg KG
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:03 pm 

theunrelentingattack wrote:
Spliff from Germany are on the blacklist - their second release just came out and it's upped the death metal quotient quite a bit from the first album.

We're actually greek. There was a German band in 70s I think with the same name, so that may be the reason for the confusion.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:19 am 

Schmengie wrote:
Questions: When was Hypno5e blacklisted, what was the justification, and did it happen before the release of Shores of the Abstract Line?

Hearing a little too much mathy -core chugs and djentisms in the guitars than metal.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:15 pm 

Greg KG wrote:
theunrelentingattack wrote:

We're actually greek. There was a German band in 70s I think with the same name, so that may be the reason for the confusion.

Actually, Greece is what I meant. :)

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:43 pm 

PDS wrote:
Schmengie wrote:

Hearing a little too much mathy -core chugs and djentisms in the guitars than metal.

I see. Fair enough.

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

danbigal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:18 pm 

Derigin wrote:
Trying to clear out a bit of the backlog here from the last couple pages. If I have overlooked you, please feel free to re-post your request.

danbigal wrote:

Ok guys...
So, for "Insane Driver" - Brazil, I have some references of the "metalness" here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vjR56iVLq8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcQ6_5_uZhE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV4XZMaa9wQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR7k_6wKnxE

Reference of the physical CD:
https://imgur.com/a/SSe4o

Reference of the Digital CD:
https://open.spotify.com/album/6bOxFlwJ ... la3GGYAMdg

Hope you guys whitelist it, so I can proceed with the submission.

Tks for the help

Hi guys...
Any news about that??

Best Regards
Dan Bigal

It was blacklisted for being "alt/southern rock with some metal mixed in." That... is actually what this still sounds like. Sorry.

Really?? So, just to clarify, what the hell means "alt/southern rock with some metal mixed in"??
Here in Brazil, this band was indicated to the "Best Metal Albums of 2016" award for the main metal magazine, "Roadie Crew".
Metal is metal.. All these sub genres make me sick and just confuses everybody.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:12 pm 

Well, your first mistake is basing their presumed validity on third-party sources that we don't necessarily recognize.

"Metal is metal"

:ugh:
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:54 pm 

Why was Retard Molester blacklisted, and was this release evaluated?

https://retardmolester.bandcamp.com/alb ... bear-trick

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

mcdetroit586
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:16 pm 

So, I've glanced over the rules, hopefully I'm following them and after so many years I see that Between the Buried and Me are still banned. There was discussion about this after their last LP Coma Ecliptic and they've remained banned. Well, there is a new record out on Sumerian Records called Automata 1. If this isn't metal, then I guess I'm clueless as to what metal is. There is a minute lead in to the first song which is NOT metal in any way, so there's that. I've always been intrigued at what's metal and what isn't. It changes depending on who you're talking to. Example, everyone calls Black Sabbath heavy metal, but by today's standards they aren't at all. At the time that they started making music, they were one of the most extreme bands in the world. Anyway, I hope BTBAM gets another look at..... there is nothing 'core' about them anymore and there hasn't been for years in my opinion. Hopefully we can look again at them. Now time for me to waste countless hours on the site.

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:18 pm 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:

There's no blacklist note, so the blacklisting must be pre-2012. If the album is from 2008 then it's safe to assume it has already been evaluated.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:19 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:
EzraBlumenfeld wrote:

There's no blacklist note, so the blacklisting must be pre-2012. If the album is from 2008 then it's safe to assume it has already been evaluated.

Well, the Bandcamp date says 2008, but it was on the new release page today. It was added as a back catalogue, or something, possibly with an incorrect date.

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:25 pm 

mcdetroit586 wrote:
So, I've glanced over the rules, hopefully I'm following them and after so many years I see that Between the Buried and Me are still banned. There was discussion about this after their last LP Coma Ecliptic and they've remained banned. Well, there is a new record out on Sumerian Records called Automata 1. If this isn't metal, then I guess I'm clueless as to what metal is.

Automata 1 has already been discussed among the staf and was deemed to be unacceptable. Decidedly non-metallic proggycore.
mcdetroit586 wrote:
Example, everyone calls Black Sabbath heavy metal, but by today's standards they aren't at all. At the time that they started making music, they were one of the most extreme bands in the world.

Dude... If you consider Black Sabbath NOT to be Metal "by today's standards", then you're waaaaaay off. I even suspect you're not familiar with them, besides a couple of Ozzy-era songs. There's not way in hell one could NOT call Black Sabbath a Metal band. Forget about the fact they invented it. Just blast any album from any era. Believe me, it's gonna be a Metal album.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Bachstein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:27 am 

Hi mods,

I'm aware that this topic is not for pre-checks, but I'd like to ask a question in advance.
http://aseroe.bandcamp.com/album/aseroe
I'd like to add this band, but I've seen a case in the past that a band was rejected due to their overpriced album on bandcamp. So basically they met all the requirements musically, but the price of the album was irrational, therefore they were not accepted.
This overpricing of an album is a known method amongst new bands, because a label might refuse them if their album is available for free or for a cheap price on bandcamp, but in this case they can tell that nobody is going to buy their album for this price, therefore they might get signed by a label easier.

So my question is, can I add this band so the mods won't consider the price of the album on bandcamp?

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:12 am 

Aweek has passed, so I Willrepeat my question::Would it be possible to whitelist Kill II This on the basis of their first album Another Cross II Bare, which is groove/thrash metal imo? I would like to ask for a possible quick reply, since the link is not permanent and will expire after 18 days after the upload: http://www.uschovna.cz/zasilka/XVMJPA2K7DUP8IW6-XYK

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:26 pm 

Bachstein wrote:
Hi mods,

I'm aware that this topic is not for pre-checks, but I'd like to ask a question in advance.
http://aseroe.bandcamp.com/album/aseroe
I'd like to add this band, but I've seen a case in the past that a band was rejected due to their overpriced album on bandcamp. So basically they met all the requirements musically, but the price of the album was irrational, therefore they were not accepted.
This overpricing of an album is a known method amongst new bands, because a label might refuse them if their album is available for free or for a cheap price on bandcamp, but in this case they can tell that nobody is going to buy their album for this price, therefore they might get signed by a label easier.

So my question is, can I add this band so the mods won't consider the price of the album on bandcamp?

It really doesn't matter if it is a technique for a level refusing them (which is dumb by the way, "oh, a label won't like it if we sell a two song Ep for 5 dollars, 200 it is". No, the price has to be reasonable that people will acutally buy it. Otherwise, it is just a a streamable album. Nobody in their right mind would buy it like that.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

Bachstein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:53 am 

Ok, noted.

sychy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:24 am 

Hi,

why Synthetic Blast (alternative metal from Kraków) was banned?

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Sy ... 540418572#

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:28 am 

sychy wrote:
Hi,

why Synthetic Blast (alternative metal from Kraków) was banned?

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Sy ... 540418572#

Blacklisted for constant resubmission despite having no valid release, though if the band is alt metal, the music is likely unacceptable anyway. Maybe try reading your rejection messages?

Satanismus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:07 pm 

Why band "The Gazette" (Japan) is banned? There are many j-rock bands on encyclopaedia...

MasterOfSin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:03 am 

Satanismus wrote:
Why band "The Gazette" (Japan) is banned? There are many j-rock bands on encyclopaedia...

Hi,
blacklisted for being a Visual Kei band.
There's a thread where you can report bands that aren't metal and they are on MA:

https://www.metal-archives.com/board/vi ... =3&t=65721

Thank you.

Crypt of the Wizard
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:38 am 

Hi, has there been a ruling made as to whether Ghold are appropriate for the site yet?

Thanks!

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
@Crypt of the Wizard, your band is being discussed internally.

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:36 pm 

Satanismus wrote:
There are many j-rock bands on encyclopaedia...

Also, and way more relevant: J-Rock is NOT Metal. The fact that some Visual Kei bands are Metal doesn't necessarily mean ALL of the Visual Kei bands are.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

a2m
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:43 pm 

Hi. In the e-mail I received about rejecting band "n." I found no reason to reject this band, except the record lenght (its one song about 10 minutes), but there are a lot of bands on MA that have releases of similar lenght. I also attached a link to soundcloud as a proof. It is self released (digital is already out and there will be also CDs, but the digital should be enough for approving) and a sound of the record is proper, as it meant to be. thanks for remediation.

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:06 pm 

a2m wrote:
Hi. In the e-mail I received about rejecting band "n." I found no reason to reject this band, except the record length (its one song about 10 minutes), but there are a lot of bands on MA that have releases of similar length. I also attached a link to soundcloud as a proof. It is self released (digital is already out and there will be also CDs, but the digital should be enough for approving) and a sound of the record is proper, as it meant to be. thanks for remediation.

Bands that only have a release around the same length have a physical release, since 10 minutes is way too short for a digital only band. Wait for the band to release something longer or physical before resubmitting.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:11 pm 

It's Sunday again, so I will stress out: Can someone please answer my Qustion about Kill II This and their album Another Cross To Bare? The link is in my original post.

ethanthedrummer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:24 am 

I'm gonna go ahead and suggest Benümb's blacklisting status be reevaluated. Their older stuff is pretty powerviolence/grind, but their later material has plenty of death/thrash influence in the riffs and drum performance.

https://benumb.bandcamp.com/album/by-means-of-upheaval

^Their last full length

CBRVE
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:07 am 

Why Sepharvites (int.) Is blacklisted?

cranial crusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:34 am 

Please, why is Cruel Face (Brazil) blacklisted?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:54 am 

Sepharvites: temporarily blacklisted because the user kept resubmitting without valid release.

Cruel Face: crust punk/hardcore/grindcore

cranial crusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:24 am 

What is the date of Cruel Face's blacklisting?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:33 am 

June 2017

CBRVE
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:41 am 

Diamhea wrote:
Sepharvites: temporarily blacklisted because the user kept resubmitting without valid release.

Tape out today
https://web.facebook.com/CaligariRecords/

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 491, 492, 493, 494, 495, 496, 497 ... 541  Next