Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:39 am 

Mou wrote:
is "el reno renardo" blacklisted? i can't find anything about it in the forum, but it's strange to me if it is not blacklisted the band is not added yet, so i think it must be...

All you have to do to find out if a band is blacklisted, is type the name in the form. You don't need to go further to know that, the system will automatically tell you if it's blacklisted or not...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Mou
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:35 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Mou wrote:
is "el reno renardo" blacklisted? i can't find anything about it in the forum, but it's strange to me if it is not blacklisted the band is not added yet, so i think it must be...

All you have to do to find out if a band is blacklisted, is type the name in the form. You don't need to go further to know that, the system will automatically tell you if it's blacklisted or not...

and the blacklist has not been reseted or something similar? when i try with el reno renardo it doesn't says that is in the blacklist, that's why i asked here... but then i try with another band which was rejected to me a time ago (galactika, no evidences of physical release) and it says it not blacklisted... so i was surprised. well, i'll send the band then

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:38 am 

Mou wrote:
but then i try with another band which was rejected to me a time ago (galactika, no evidences of physical release) and it says it not blacklisted...

Such bands are usually not blacklisted, because they could be physically releasing something in the future. Not every rejection also implies a blacklisting.

aerogun18
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:13 pm 

Rob1 wrote:
1st song: mostly hard rock riffing
2nd song: nice metallish riff but lasts too short.
3rd song: nice double bass drumming but no metal riffing: only open chord riffs.
4th song: has some promising opening riffs but that's all there is to it. Rest is open chord riffing, typical hard rock.
5th song: again a great song but still some incidental meta riffing. Mostly hard rock riffing.

Although the music sounds great I wouldn't classify them as Metal but maybe some mod will have a different opinion. I AM NOT a Mod so don't take my word for it.

If it's not metal then it's at least very close to it. I'm listening to it right now with ultra bass head phones and the riffs sound very heavy to me. I can't help but get a metal vibe from it. Anybody else has an opinion to share?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:00 pm 

aerogun18 wrote:
Rob1 wrote:
1st song: mostly hard rock riffing
2nd song: nice metallish riff but lasts too short.
3rd song: nice double bass drumming but no metal riffing: only open chord riffs.
4th song: has some promising opening riffs but that's all there is to it. Rest is open chord riffing, typical hard rock.
5th song: again a great song but still some incidental meta riffing. Mostly hard rock riffing.

Although the music sounds great I wouldn't classify them as Metal but maybe some mod will have a different opinion. I AM NOT a Mod so don't take my word for it.

If it's not metal then it's at least very close to it. I'm listening to it right now with ultra bass head phones and the riffs sound very heavy to me. I can't help but get a metal vibe from it. Anybody else has an opinion to share?

I agree with Rob1's descriptions. Doesn't sound metal enough.

Rob1
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:21 pm 

aerogun18 wrote:

My headphones are studio quality which enables me to hear everything more like it was put to tape (hard disk). That way you'll notive that the heaviness you hear is due to the Bassguitar (which it should, of course!).
Remember that Heavy does not equal Metal! The type of riffing does qualify something either as Metal or not!

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:20 pm 

Black metal fans will this http://pinebarrens.bandcamp.com/album/demo-2010 pass as black metal/hardcore?

DarknessEternal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:15 pm 

Last edited by DarknessEternal on Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:43 pm 

OK. Rob1, DarknessEternal - If you are not mods, do not comment on whether a band is metal enough for this encyclopedia. In fact, and this applies to everyone, if you're not here in this thread to bring up a band yourself, do not post.

GraveWish, it would appear that band does seem to be predominantly more -core based than it is metal. Metal is an influence, but not something that drives the music.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:45 am 

"Of course for those of you around the greater New Orleans area if you want to get your hands on the CD before then we can always make arrangements to do that. Leave us a comment and one of us will get back to you as quickly as possible."

What does that means to you?

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:04 am 

How does a psychedelic stoner/sludge metal band sounds to you? If this http://october1.bandcamp.com/ is not considered metal I will gladly publicly deny being a metalhead and consider myself a fan of whatever-you-will call this music to be.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:06 am 

It means it's officially not out yet!

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:13 am 

Selling the CD in your area to anyone who want to get it before the release date is not considered a physical release available to the public? Well sounds like a physical release available to the public for me.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:26 am 

That was written on February 25th. The post to which I'm referring to was posted yesterday! Still not widely available out yet and there's no hint that they even have copies themselves!
Do re-submit when it's officially out!

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:45 am 

And this "wake up people the CD is out . come get one" is what? Once again I'm telling you that the physical CD is available in the band's local area. But let me tell you something forget that, I'm aware that on MA you can't even question a moderator since he is always right, like god :roll:

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:53 am 

You're not questioning me, you're busting my nuts!!! I've already emailed the band and asked about this!
What's the problem in waiting a few days until it's actually official?

Final!

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:02 am 

Aye, aye sir! Let me enjoy listening to the non-metal band October now.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:04 am 

This is the last post concerning a CD release on their wall:
Quote:
The actually physical CD will be available in just a few days on the website as well and hopefully within a few more days you will be able to download the songs off of sites such as iTunes, Rhapsody, Amazon, ect...

So, rather simple, waiting a few more days (or for a response to Porman's email) can't hurt, GraveWish. There may be some copies already available in the smaller area, but sticking to the actual wider release date is considered standard and "on the safe side".

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:06 am 

Okey, this is a diplomatic answer that tends to be acceptable.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:16 am 

Ok, let's do this. Why was Wolfpussy rejected? It's not me who submitted the band by the way. http://www.reverbnation.com/wolfpussy

aerogun18
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:30 am 

Rob1 wrote:
My headphones are studio quality which enables me to hear everything more like it was put to tape (hard disk). That way you'll notive that the heaviness you hear is due to the Bassguitar (which it should, of course!).
Remember that Heavy does not equal Metal! The type of riffing does qualify something either as Metal or not!

I still think this album has a lot of metal about it. Sounds too metallic for me to consider it hard rock, but I respect your opinions.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:51 am 

For the record:

Hello and thanks for your interest! We are hoping to have the physical CD for sale within a couple of days on CDbaby.com (the digital download stuff always happens much faster) as well as working on some other means of distribution to try and get the CD out. But if you are from the area I'm sure there is a way we can work out to put the CD in your hand.

Thanks again,
A.E. Lancaster

EDIT: I suppose you can restore the band now. No need to play the-moderator-is-always-right attitude. The band deserves to be included more than any homemade CD-R/Tape-R band.

~Guest 152635
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:20 am 

When did having vocals become a requirement?
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Sages/3540342942

"Can you please provide/find more samples? This is just instrumental."

Or am I misunderstanding something?

The sample from the release:
http://wrong-hands.bandcamp.com/track/voice-in-the-well

On this page too, the other songs are not on the release in question:
http://www.wrong-hands.com/sages/

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:49 pm 

GraveWish wrote:
For the record:

Hello and thanks for your interest! We are hoping to have the physical CD for sale within a couple of days on CDbaby.com (the digital download stuff always happens much faster) as well as working on some other means of distribution to try and get the CD out. But if you are from the area I'm sure there is a way we can work out to put the CD in your hand.

Thanks again,
A.E. Lancaster

EDIT: I suppose you can restore the band now. No need to play the-moderator-is-always-right attitude. The band deserves to be included more than any homemade CD-R/Tape-R band.

"Yes they do exist and as soon as the fed ex truck gets there the physical CD will be available at CDbaby.com. We are also currently working on several other means of distribution.

Thanks,
A.E. Lancaster"

I'm not impossible. You may re-submit, but you should check this stuff out before, not after you do.

And who deserves it more, is not really up to you. The same rules apply to every single band here.

mindlesshope
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:14 pm 

I'm not exactly sure why my band was rejected. We're a Progressive Instrumental Guitar Metal band. What's not metal about that? Please listen to our songs Trepidation or No Pressure, or any them for that matter. Yes, we have a ballad and yes there are a few "softer" parts in a few of our songs. That's where the "progressive" comes in to play. I really hope you change your mind on this. We're all huge metal fans.

Benoit91
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:41 pm 

Brazen Abbot was rejected because it wouldn't be "metal" enough for Metal-Archives.
I do not agree with this decision!

Brazen Abbot is obviously a Hard Rock band, and I don't see why Hard Rock isn't included in what "Metal" is! Hard Rock = Metal.

Why would you reject a great Hard Rock band with singers like Glenn Hughes (ex-Black Sabbath), Goran Edman (ex-Yngwie), Joe Lynn Turner (ex-Rainbow,ex-Yngwie), Jorn Lande (Masterplan, Avantasia) & Thomas Vikstrom (ex-stormwind) from Metal Archives??!!

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:43 pm 

Benoit91 wrote:
Hard Rock = Metal.

Um, no, it isn't. Simple as that.

Benoit91
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:56 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
Benoit91 wrote:
Hard Rock = Metal.

Um, no, it isn't. Simple as that.

Let's call it Metal then, because Brazen Abbot is just as metal as Deep Purple and they're on the site as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9PySOpsJWs
Brazen Abbot - My Resurrection (2005)

Hope you reconsider

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:01 pm 

Benoit91 wrote:
Brazen Abbot is just as metal as Deep Purple and they're on the site as well

From the rules:
Quote:
Mötley Crüe, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Scorpions and Rush (among a few examples) are not considered metal by some. Understandable, as their music and heaviness varied and was debatable at times. But what they sometimes lacked in "metalness", they made for in historical importance, and they are there to stay. That doesn't mean we're going to accept any glam or hippie rock bands though, and they are about as "borderline" as we are going to have.
They are exceptions. You might not agree. Tough shit.

Benoit91 wrote:

Hope you reconsider

EDIT: Okay, may be metal enough all in all, currently being discussed.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:00 pm 

Benoit91 wrote:
Let's call it Metal then, because Brazen Abbot is just as metal as Deep Purple and they're on the site as well

Bad argument. Sorry.

Quote:

Hope you reconsider

That ONE song sounds metal enough for me. I would accept them if it's really representative of your sound. But I can't be bothered to check out more samples right now, and another moderator told me your other songs sound more on the hard rock side. It's a hard line to draw sometimes, I know.

GraveWish wrote:

I think we'll refrain from restoring the band just to spite you. Because you're really THAT fucking annoying.

UndeadIdiot wrote:

Never, but I'm assuming he meant things like acoustic or keyboard intros/outros kind of samples, maybe?

mindlesshope wrote:
I'm not exactly sure why my band was rejected. We're a Progressive Instrumental Guitar Metal band. What's not metal about that? Please listen to our songs Trepidation or No Pressure, or any them for that matter. Yes, we have a ballad and yes there are a few "softer" parts in a few of our songs. That's where the "progressive" comes in to play. I really hope you change your mind on this. We're all huge metal fans.
What... "progressive" doesn't mean "we have soft parts and ballads". o_O That said I don't know what your band is, you didn't even post a link, if you want to object to the rejection at least try to make your case beyond just stating "we're metal! really!".

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:20 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
UndeadIdiot wrote:

Never, but I'm assuming he meant things like acoustic or keyboard intros/outros kind of samples, maybe?

Yes. Stating that it is instrumental did not mean "no vocals," it meant that it has few if any metal riffs of any substance.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:22 pm 

That's not really what instrumental means, though, Derigin. :P One of my favourite metal instrumentals :headbang:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:23 pm 

Derigin why was Wolfpussy rejected?

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:24 pm 

Quote:
I think we'll refrain from restoring the band just to spite you. Because you're really THAT fucking annoying.

I don't really care you know? It's not like I'm getting payed or something.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:28 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
That's not really what instrumental means, though, Derigin. :P One of my favourite metal instrumentals :headbang:

Compare that to this. Not quite ambient in the musical style sense, but not at all black metal (as labeled) either. Experimental instrumental avant-garde something-or-other, but sustained metal riffs it has not.

GraveWish wrote:
Derigin why was Wolfpussy rejected?

Waiting on the submitter to provide proof of PR.

sunnova
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:11 pm 

Concerning Chordotomy: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hp ... 5831_n.jpg
Icepick Facefuck actually was a digital release, the promo too, but obviously, Rotten Roll Rex is not a digital label: rottenroll.de

Nevertheless, if "physical evidence" means, that it must have already been released, you can ignore this.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:15 pm 

sunnova wrote:
Nevertheless, if "physical evidence" means, that it must have already been released, you can ignore this.

Yes, a band must already have a physical release available to be admitted to the site. :) Upcoming albums, even those with concrete release dates, don't qualify.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:49 pm 

Quote:
Waiting on the submitter to provide proof of PR.

If you want you can restore the band they have a physical release you may also want to reject this band http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Voi ... 3540343068 last time I was in contact with them and they didn't have any physical release. There was also a band submitted under "medieval metal" I forgot the band's name probably they got rejected, they also have a physical release.

Last edited by GraveWish on Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 152635
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:58 pm 

Derigin wrote:
Morrigan wrote:

Compare that to this. Not quite ambient in the musical style sense, but not at all black metal (as labeled) either. Experimental instrumental avant-garde something-or-other, but sustained metal riffs it has not..

Oh, alright! I guess I should have thought harder about what that meant. I was assuming it'd be accepted since it sounds like the stuff people labeled "cascadian black metal" that is here (sounds very similar to Echtra's first release). Upon further listening, I understand what you mean. I think it is pretty safe to assume the other track is like that, so I'll delete the draft. Thank you.

Last edited by ~Guest 152635 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:01 pm 

I'll take a look at Echtra, but do recognize that we don't try to base the acceptance of one project based off of another. It's entirely possible that, through comparison, a listener might focus on the non-metal similarities, and not the metal similarities, that are inherent between the two projects (especially if those projects have a wide range of styles in their work, or are themselves borderline).

Please don't feel disheartened by this. It just doesn't seem to be based so much on metal, as it is on something else entirely (which I find difficult to really pinpoint).

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128 ... 541  Next