Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:45 am 

lycanwrath2012 wrote:
So I know there's a hardcore band named legend from the USA but I know of another band named legend from east Los Angeles that are metal. What I don't get is why is that band name blacklisted from that country does it not matter if it's not the same band?

We simply don't have the option to distinguish between bands with the exact same name from the same country. It's not like when we blacklist something, we point at a specific band in all its singularity and say "that's the one this is meant for, ignore any others". Not technically, at least. We can only give the system two bits of information, bits for it to check whenever people try to create a draft. "This string of characters, this country of origin, block it." And usually this is precise enough. False positives due to identical names happen only very rarely, so it's not much of a problem (and I've been telling mods to make it clear in the accompanying blacklist note which band it is exactly, if the name is something common that lends itself to overlaps like that). It's part of the reason this thread exists and can be cleared up quickly in the negligible number of times it occurs.

lycanwrath2012 wrote:
They don't have a release so that's understandable but the fact of just that name being banned is kinda wrong. https://youtu.be/gTzF02NTsBA

I don't see how it's "wrong" (and you say this other Legend actualy doesn't qualify). There isn't any kind of intent behind this directed at the other band. We aren't making a damning statement about bands that simply share the name. I have said it a couple of times before, but I think this is a point that requires stressing sometimes: The blacklist is not a collection of "falses" we are proud to keep up to date and wave around for its own sake. It is simply a tool to prevent mods from having to judge bands that have been judged before based on unchanged evidence, thus it saves time and effort, for mods and users both. Blacklistings aren't inherently permanent, so there simply is no harm in the odd mix-up. As I said above, people can inquire in this very thread and, indeed, you'll find a couple of instances where a blacklist entry has been temporarily lifted to allow an identically-named band to be submitted. If this Legend ever releases something valid, you know where to post. :)

Torquia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:54 pm 

I want to know if Teratoid (Argentina) was rejected because of lack of info or because their style. I have all their demos to upload if necessary.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:03 pm 

The samples provided (3-4 Youtube links, I think) were judged to be too grindy. If you have better sampling, please share.

iguanator
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:43 pm 

Good evening from Switzerland!

I would like to take the freedom to inquire why the submission of Eight Lives Down (United Kingdom) was rejected, although I believe to know the reason. Since I may, of course, be terribly wrong ;) I would appreciate your feedback on this.

I believe that the reason was a stupid mistake on my side, because I added *cover your ears* Nu-metal in the list of genres. However, if you listen to the provided samples, you will clearly see that this is not the main genre, if at all. I would rather characterize them as Thrash, Groove, Alternative. They may have some Slipknot influence but hey, how many Melo-Death and Sympho bands have pop influence? :)

But seriously, please (re-)listen to the bands tracks, if possible. I am sure you will agree they are doubtlessly metal and deserve to be on MA. The vocalist, Aliki Katriou, is already on here with two other projects, Cyclocosmia and Desolate Plains. She is metal as hell. :)

I have made some minor modifications to the draft (updated logo, updated genres) and would be happy to re-submit if you allow.

I very much appreciate your attention and time and hope this appeal will go through. Regardless of the outcome, thanks a heap for keeping this monster running for all of us! Rock on.

hategrinder
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:54 pm 

Azmodes wrote:

hategrinder wrote:
Stygian Tomb was rejected for not being metal enough. Admittedly, the link provided did point to the noisier stuff of the album but i believe this link ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL_6L_W1IDk ) proves the band to be metal. Its a track from the same album.

Thanks!

It was rejected for insufficient sampling. This is pretty noisy, so we need more than two songs here, preferably the entire release.

Fair enough, my mistake. Here is a link to the entire album on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WR3i6P ... UBBGcVZ5Pw

If that doesn't cut it, this is the last you'll hear from me on this subject. :)

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:07 pm 

hategrinder wrote:
Fair enough, my mistake. Here is a link to the entire album on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WR3i6P ... UBBGcVZ5Pw

If that doesn't cut it, this is the last you'll hear from me on this subject. :)

Restored.

iguanator wrote:
Good evening from Switzerland!

I would like to take the freedom to inquire why the submission of Eight Lives Down (United Kingdom) was rejected, although I believe to know the reason. Since I may, of course, be terribly wrong ;) I would appreciate your feedback on this.

I believe that the reason was a stupid mistake on my side, because I added *cover your ears* Nu-metal in the list of genres. However, if you listen to the provided samples, you will clearly see that this is not the main genre, if at all. I would rather characterize them as Thrash, Groove, Alternative. They may have some Slipknot influence but hey, how many Melo-Death and Sympho bands have pop influence? :)

But seriously, please (re-)listen to the bands tracks, if possible. I am sure you will agree they are doubtlessly metal and deserve to be on MA. The vocalist, Aliki Katriou, is already on here with two other projects, Cyclocosmia and Desolate Plains. She is metal as hell. :)

I have made some minor modifications to the draft (updated logo, updated genres) and would be happy to re-submit if you allow.

I very much appreciate your attention and time and hope this appeal will go through. Regardless of the outcome, thanks a heap for keeping this monster running for all of us! Rock on.

It doesn't really matter what's in the genre field, as we try to judge the music itself (don't expect something coming with a tag that's explicitly referred to as unacceptable in the rule section to fare well, though). Stands to reason the moderator listened to the EP and thought it was nu-metal. I just did too and I would agree.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:25 am 

Guessing JoDöden was blacklisted for being primarily folk. Wondering if the side project clause applies, or is that something the site no longer does? I do understand that regular users aren't able to add side-projects.

Thanks!

iguanator
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:38 am 

Azmodes wrote:
It doesn't really matter what's in the genre field, as we try to judge the music itself (don't expect something coming with a tag that's explicitly referred to as unacceptable in the rule section to fare well, though). Stands to reason the moderator listened to the EP and thought it was nu-metal. I just did too and I would agree.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and reply! Much appreciated.

I do, of course, respect your opinion and decision; however, I do not agree to the classification as Nu-metal per se. The band is deeply rooted in Thrash and Groove metal but they are trying to be open-minded and integrating some funk elements mainly. Sure, this can be seen as characteristic for Nu-metal but I really think that this is not the main style of the band at all (it's not my band, by the way ;) ). I just think it would be a pity to not make them available to folks on MA.

Out of pure curiosity, and because I am truly interested in you guys' point of view, what aspect of their music would classify them as purely Nu-metal in your view - and where do you draw the line?

Thanks a lot again!

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:01 am 

ThePoop wrote:
Guessing JoDöden was blacklisted for being primarily folk.

Yep.

iguanator wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to listen and reply! Much appreciated.

No problem. Thanks for keeping it civil.

iguanator wrote:
Out of pure curiosity, and because I am truly interested in you guys' point of view, what aspect of their music would classify them as purely Nu-metal in your view - and where do you draw the line?

Simply put, our basic, primary criterion for judging acceptable music is the presence and predominance of metal riffs. And I don't really hear that in Eight Lives Down. As these things are seldom black-and-white, there's indeed some groove metal elements in there, but mostly it sounds more along the lines of rhythmic nu-metal chugging. Reminds me more of Guano Apes than Pantera.

iguanator
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:30 am 

Azmodes wrote:
No problem. Thanks for keeping it civil.

If we don't keep it civil in the arts, what would this world become? ;)
Music and taste should not be a reason for becoming uncivilized.

Azmodes wrote:
Simply put, our basic, primary criterion for judging acceptable music is the presence and predominance of metal riffs. And I don't really hear that in Eight Lives Down. As these things are seldom black-and-white, there's indeed some groove metal elements in there, but mostly it sounds more along the lines of rhythmic nu-metal chugging. Reminds me more of Guano Apes than Pantera.

Man, that last sentence made me laugh! Quite unbelievable that you would bring this example. There's an anecdote involving the two founding members (one is still leading the band, while the other one left):

During one of the very early rehearsals, the now ex-guitarist played a Guano Apes tape as example for what he imagined. The vocalist shook her head and put on a Pantera tape..... True story. :)
Unfortunately, the guitarists had his will and that's how the current EP turned out the way it did.

Well, now that the Guano-Ape influence has left, the band sounds much harder; more riffs, more blast beats, more drive. They are working on an album. I might try another appeal once this out, if you don't mind.

I still think they play mainly Groove Metal with a little Nu influence and believe that could well pass. In the end, metal should never be black-and-white, right? And categorization is not always easy.

Anyway, thanks again for discussing, always a pleasure! I'd be happy to hear back from you.

Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:20 am 

Kjetter wrote:
Moderator wrote:
U.S. band Beerwolf - Blacklisted?

"Stoner rock". Listed in late 2015.

Seeking re-evaluation on latest material for Doom / Stoner metal aspects.

http://beerwolf.bandcamp.com

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:03 pm 

iguanator: hah, well maybe that album will turn out different then. You're free to bring them up again once it's out.

Moderator wrote:
Seeking re-evaluation on latest material for Doom / Stoner metal aspects.

http://beerwolf.bandcamp.com

Heavy, but still more rock than metal IMO.

Verd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:56 pm 

it's stoner metal/rock but this site has like one thousand of rock bands, there's ghost that play pop/rock.. compared to the pop/rock bands this site hosts beerwolf plays some nice stoner/doom listening to the full album

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:58 pm 

Helpful and relevant. Read the first post, dude.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:17 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
ThePoop wrote:
Guessing JoDöden was blacklisted for being primarily folk.

Yep.

Well I figured that. It was the other part of my post I was curious about. Regardless, thank you.

iguanator
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:27 am 

Azmodes wrote:
iguanator: hah, well maybe that album will turn out different then. You're free to bring them up again once it's out.

I will most certainly do that! I extend my thanks to thee. :beer:

*final-attempt-whisper-mode on* So the decision on the current submission is definitely definitive..? Off the table, end of discussion, basta..? *final-attempt-whisper-mode off*

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:08 am 

ThePoop wrote:
Well I figured that. It was the other part of my post I was curious about. Regardless, thank you.

mhmmm, yeah about the side-project thing... I have no idea, since I haven't looked it up yet and don't know who's involved, but even if it's some notable thing, the staff has kind of agreed to implement a sort of waiting period for SPs instead of adding them immediately, to see if they "stand the test of time" and remain notable and not just a one-off thing everybody's forgotten about after a year. I think it was five years or thereabouts.

iguanator wrote:
*final-attempt-whisper-mode on* So the decision on the current submission is definitely definitive..? Off the table, end of discussion, basta..? *final-attempt-whisper-mode off*

Yeah, pretty much, based on the material released so far. You have the assessment of two mods and that's more than sufficient.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:30 am 

Azmodes wrote:
ThePoop wrote:

mhmmm, yeah about the side-project thing... I have no idea, since I haven't looked it up yet and don't know who's involved, but even if it's some notable thing, the staff has kind of agreed to implement a sort of waiting period for SPs instead of adding them immediately, to see if they "stand the test of time" and remain notable and not just a one-off thing everybody's forgotten about after a year. I think it was five years or thereabouts.

No one of notice. The guy also has a black metal and a avant-garde metal project. Both projects haven't release an album in over five years.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

iguanator
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:36 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Yeah, pretty much, based on the material released so far. You have the assessment of two mods and that's more than sufficient.

Well then - I shall abandon the field with my head hanging in shame. I tried as best I could.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:05 am 

Azmodes wrote:

Makes perfect sense. The site would be cluttered with a thousand shitty acoustic/synth side projects. Appreciate the reply.

Ayatapuc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:47 am 

Hi
It is not allowed the grindcore bands in MetalArchives?
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Te ... 540431788#

And Agathocles? Nasum?

yatyatfleeto
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:51 am 

In Autumnus is a Deafheaven rip off so there is literally no reason to reject them when Deafheaven is on the site. Fucking greebs man

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:56 pm 

WarDeth88 wrote:
Hi

And Agathocles? Nasum?

Grindcore is allowed if it's metal-based, not if it's punk-based. Two moderators agreed that Teratoid falls more into the latter category. Also read the first post before comparing bands.

yatyatfleeto wrote:
In Autumnus is a Deafheaven rip off so there is literally no reason to reject them when Deafheaven is on the site. Fucking greebs man

It wasn't blacklisted for musical reasons. The note says "User will not stop submitting with only a handful of digital tracks", so the lack of release and a user ignoring our messages were the reasons for the blacklisting. Can you prove a valid release?

And what's a greeb?

Ayatapuc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:26 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
WarDeth88 wrote:
Hi

And Agathocles? Nasum?

Grindcore is allowed if it's metal-based, not if it's punk-based. Two moderators agreed that Teratoid falls more into the latter category. Also read the first post before comparing bands.

Is this more punk than Grindcore/Metal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKw0DEDnx3M

Xenotath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:58 am 

hello,
reently i have tryed to upload the band Angest Morkret (ita) but was rejected for following resons:
"We require some context for this alleged release. How is/was it being distributed? How many copies made? Where can/could this release be purchased? Could you provide a link to where it can/could be purchased? Do/did any distros/labels/shops carry it? Can you provide a photo of multiple copies visible? Can you provide any more information corroborating distribution, such as people referencing it online, or in tradelists, reviews, articles, flyers, etc.? Lastly, are you sure this release is/was indeed publicly available and not, for instance, a label-only promo?"

It was distributed: the tape was a label-promo shipped to many labels but never found interested labels. the cdr was printed to avoid this problem, and fill the trequests of "friends and fans"
how many copies: printed around 40-50 copies but the number isn't precise, i have asked but Ulfehdir doesn't rememb.
Where can/could this release be purchased? : now it's no more avaliable (this release it's from 1996!) they sell those cds at live concerts
Do/did any distros/labels/shops carry it? :http://www.truemetal.it/forum/threads/vendo-cd-lp-cassette-toppe-spille-poster-black-death-metal.43989/ (this is Umbra from strix,bnt ecc who havn't a proper distro but sells a big amount of cds, V.B.M.F. distro it's going to think a re-press
Can you provide a photo of multiple copies visible?: no if this distro doesn't repress it
Can you provide any more information corroborating distribution, such as people referencing it online, or in tradelists, reviews, articles, flyers, etc.? : se the link of truemetal.it
Lastly, are you sure this release is/was indeed publicly available and not, for instance, a label-only promo?" : only the tape version, as i said was a label-promo

i hope that's can help ,S.

Heliogabalus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:57 pm 

Hello guys,
could you whitelist Aisna, please? A new split album with Batrakos is out today, physically distributed and clearly metal: https://xenoglossyproductions.bandcamp. ... akos-aisna

Also premiered and reviewed by Toilet ov Hell: http://www.toiletovhell.com/split-your- ... and-aisna/
...and by No Clean Singing: http://www.nocleansinging.com/2017/10/1 ... t-release/

I hope it is enough!

Cheers

baldadeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:24 pm 

I want to add this band:

Hemisferio

from Ceará, Brazil

I don't know which are the reasons for blacklisting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cha_Tt1Ulsg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aMPS_U3-Hc
http://demo-tapes-brasil.blogspot.it/20 ... -1990.html
http://demo-tapes-brasil.blogspot.it/se ... emisphereo
https://www.facebook.com/programablitzm ... 04/?type=3

Shadechaser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:45 am 

Please tell why was Hobo Magic from Australia blacklisted?
Maybe rock was dominant on early releases, yet now it's metal enough, as for me.
Bandcamp
Amazon

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:49 am 

baldadeath wrote:

Blacklisted for being AOR sounding 80's hard rock. I agree. Not metal.

MasterOfSin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:30 am 

Hi,
Why Phantasos from Italy is BL?
https://phantasosofficial.bandcamp.com/ ... -soul-died

Thank you.

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:02 am 

MasterOfSin wrote:
Hi,
Why Phantasos from Italy is BL?
https://phantasosofficial.bandcamp.com/ ... -soul-died

Thank you.

Riffless guitar ambient.

thrashersejati
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:53 am 

2 weeks has passed. Please whitelist 13 Krieg!:

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/13 ... 540431224#

Tq.

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:16 am 

thrashersejati wrote:
2 weeks has passed. Please whitelist 13 Krieg!:

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/13 ... 540431224#

Tq.

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
No. That's not what i said at all. I told you to stop asking because your band was just blacklisted two weeks ago. And since you have not released anything new since then this isn't going to change.

NightProwler666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:57 pm 

Why is Vuur blacklisted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAwDw5zXtLI

This is clearly metal. Album was released yesterday.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:48 pm 

Resubmit, it was blacklisted because the album wasn't out yet.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

artery
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:07 am 

Why was this Band rejected; Aurora from Karlsruhe, Baden-Württemberg, Germany (Symphonic-Metal),
"Follow Me" EP...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... II5ADdhbec
Greetz

theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:37 am 

artery wrote:
Why was this Band rejected; Aurora from Karlsruhe, Baden-Württemberg, Germany (Symphonic-Metal),
"Follow Me" EP...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... II5ADdhbec
Greetz

All the blacklist note says is "very few riffs"

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:57 am 

WarDeth88 wrote:
Is this more punk than Grindcore/Metal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKw0DEDnx3M

We didn't judge a single song, we judged the entirety of the material you linked to.

Xenotath wrote:
hello,
reently i have tryed to upload the band Angest Morkret (ita) but was rejected for following resons:
"We require some context for this alleged release. How is/was it being distributed? How many copies made? Where can/could this release be purchased? Could you provide a link to where it can/could be purchased? Do/did any distros/labels/shops carry it? Can you provide a photo of multiple copies visible? Can you provide any more information corroborating distribution, such as people referencing it online, or in tradelists, reviews, articles, flyers, etc.? Lastly, are you sure this release is/was indeed publicly available and not, for instance, a label-only promo?"

It was distributed: the tape was a label-promo shipped to many labels but never found interested labels. the cdr was printed to avoid this problem, and fill the trequests of "friends and fans"
how many copies: printed around 40-50 copies but the number isn't precise, i have asked but Ulfehdir doesn't rememb.
Where can/could this release be purchased? : now it's no more avaliable (this release it's from 1996!) they sell those cds at live concerts
Do/did any distros/labels/shops carry it? :http://www.truemetal.it/forum/threads/vendo-cd-lp-cassette-toppe-spille-poster-black-death-metal.43989/ (this is Umbra from strix,bnt ecc who havn't a proper distro but sells a big amount of cds, V.B.M.F. distro it's going to think a re-press
Can you provide a photo of multiple copies visible?: no if this distro doesn't repress it
Can you provide any more information corroborating distribution, such as people referencing it online, or in tradelists, reviews, articles, flyers, etc.? : se the link of truemetal.it
Lastly, are you sure this release is/was indeed publicly available and not, for instance, a label-only promo?" : only the tape version, as i said was a label-promo
i hope that's can help ,S.

Thank you very much, restored.

Heliogabalus wrote:
Hello guys,
could you whitelist Aisna, please? A new split album with Batrakos is out today, physically distributed and clearly metal: https://xenoglossyproductions.bandcamp. ... akos-aisna

Also premiered and reviewed by Toilet ov Hell: http://www.toiletovhell.com/split-your- ... and-aisna/
...and by No Clean Singing: http://www.nocleansinging.com/2017/10/1 ... t-release/

I hope it is enough!

Cheers

I wouldn't say two tracks on a split are enough if the rest of the band's work is neofolk.

Shadechaser wrote:
Please tell why was Hobo Magic from Australia blacklisted?
Maybe rock was dominant on early releases, yet now it's metal enough, as for me.
Bandcamp
Amazon

hm, I don't think I agree. Also, yes the note says stoner rock.

Heliogabalus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:17 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Heliogabalus wrote:
Hello guys,

I hope it is enough!

Cheers

I wouldn't say two tracks on a split are enough if the rest of the band's work is neofolk.

Got it. Thank you anyway!

thrashersejati
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:20 am 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
No. That's not what i said at all. I told you to stop asking because your band was just blacklisted two weeks ago. And since you have not released anything new since then this isn't going to change.

Dude thats what I was trying to explain on the previous post but you go on and say that u dont understand what im trying to say, if u go on the page draft of 13 Krieg! I have included latest 13 Krieg! submission proof of new material with pure black metal sound, here it is:

13 krieg! - propaganda (audio sample taken from demo cd 2017)
https://youtu.be/jeDostWgc5Y

Proof of release in MTD production distro: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 5600033405

This release is more of black metal in nature although rehearsal quality but its definitely black metal.

So please whitelist it tq.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 468, 469, 470, 471, 472, 473, 474 ... 541  Next